Could you please stop making high heels and skimpy armor for females?

@"gebrechen.5643" said:I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are. What's your point? If I wanted realism I'd you know, go outside.

@"gebrechen.5643" said:I could live with high heels getting deleted. It's the worst design idea in games ever. No woman with a brain wears those for "fun" and especially not in a permanent combat environment.

What is amazing is that I recently found out there is a difference in what happens in reality and what happens in games. For example, in games if you wear high heels you can’t twist your ankle or run slower or get blisters.. or.... all sorts of stuff.

It’s like, you can be smart in real life and your char wear high heels in a game at the same time! \o/.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Dear devs,

It is really hard to find armor sets or outfits for female characters that look fitting for an adventurer. This is the main reason I (almost) exclusively play male characters.

I mean, this is GW2 and not Conan the Barbarian after all, no? ;) It would be nice to have more options to be able to dress female human and norn characters properly, namely as female adventurers and not as princesses or seductresses. :+1:

Thank you.

Dear OP,please consider your own opinion well... your own opinion.The bad thing with opinions is that they are irrelevant as soon as it concerns someone else than you.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you run around asking to change it for everyone.Other people may like what they see. And if you don't like it there are tons of options to dress your character without a single inch of skin visible.Thank you.

I also wanted to thank GW to consider everyone's liking and if any, i would askfor way more high heels and body flattering armor especially for the heavy class. There is no need to cover everything with hanging down curtains from waist down.The Revenant armor would be excellent without the fluffed edges carpet dragging on the floor.

@Avelynn.2691 said:

No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are. What's your point? If I wanted realism I'd you know, go outside.

In real life guns and bows co-existed for hundreds of years before firearms finally made bows (largely) obsolete. And just like in GW2 the reason for that is they had different utility. Guns did more damage of course but for much of their history they were slower to load and fire and less reliable - they couldn't be aimed as accurately and may not fire at all, or may backfire and injure or kill the user. As recently as the late 18th century winning a pistol duel was as much blind luck - whose gun actually fired first and hit the target - as anything to do with the persons skill. Even early guns and bullets were also harder to produce and maintain than bows, and of course you couldn't re-use the ammunition.

Pistols and rifles were unknown in GW1 Tyria and if I remember correctly non-magical explosives of all kinds were relatively rare. Since then they've been through a bit of an industrial revolution, but we're still in the middle of that. It's possible that if we ever get a GW3 set significantly further into the future bows will be gone, but it's not unrealistic that it hasn't happened yet.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

What is amazing is that I recently found out there is a difference in what happens in reality and what happens in games. For example, in games if you wear high heels you can’t twist your ankle or run slower or get blisters.. or.... all sorts of stuff.

It’s like, you can be smart in real life and your char wear high heels in a game at the same time! \o/.

It's also not totally unrealistic for our characters to wear heels. Almost certainly not the best choice but not impossible either, depending on the exact design.

In real life I'm the last woman you're likely to see in heels, partially because I refuse point-blank to buy shoes I can't run, jump or walk on uneven ground in. (As a teenager I did buy a pair of strappy stilettos because that's just what teenage girls did. At some point in my early 20's, after referring to them as "my evil shoes" for several years and looking for any excuse not to wear them I finally came to my senses and got rid of them.) But even so I have 2 pairs of shoes with heels.

One are ankle boots with heels the full width of my foot and a serrated bottom which gives them some grip and one is a pair of wedges (where there's no gap between the sole and heel, it gradually rises up to the full height) which have rubberised textured soles to give them some grip. The second ones I actually bought for my wedding where I'd be walking on, potentially muddy, grass all day and climbing a short way up a tree for photos. I've since worn both in various situations where heels are not the obvious choice, including walking 2 miles over a nature reserve in a place very appropriately called Sandy.

Of course they wouldn't be my first choice if I knew I was going to be walking a lot or on uneven ground (although at the moment I think they have better grip than my very worn out trainers) but if I had to I could do without any more risk of injuring myself than usual.

Even bringing some element of realism into it I'd say it depends on the character - I can absolutely imagine some characters prioritising fashion over function, or at least compromising on 'practical' heeled shoes and managing without tripping up or getting constant blisters. And then of course there's Kasmeers approach - apparently her entire outfit is an illusion so what it looks like is entirely irrelevant to it's practicality. If she can manage an illusionary dress, and maintain it during combat, I would think a lot of characters could manage illusionary shoes.

@"maxan.7836" said:After all these years- Sorry out of all the games I have played- Most boring armor ever-

I personally wouldn't call it boring armor... Unflattering, maybe? Not complimentary?

I dunno. To me, when making an outfit for a character, I tend to decide on a part I want emphasized (be it the butt cape, the bulging shoulder piece, something flashy or the weapons or perhaps the character's skin) then try to make the rest of the ensemble more muted so as not to overshadow the part I'm emphasizing.

My problem is the over abundance of "emphasized parts" and dwindling pool of "muted parts". I've seen some impressive armor combos (as well as mish mash of flashy bulky bits) that tend to recycle the same pants or tops because the options for regular form fitting or minimalist stuff is small.

I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use."No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

@"gebrechen.5643" said:I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use."No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

Well what is the purpose of high heels? The only way your assumption works is if high heels serve no propose in our world. And if that's the case, what do you say to the women buying and wearing something that serves no purpose?

Thank you. <3 That's exactly my point. I don't need my female characters to look like vixens but like people who mean serious business in a world full of dangers and adventures.

@"gebrechen.5643" said:I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion", while the things you mentioned have a real use."No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

:+1:

@"luzonophir.7134" said:male roleplaying as female characters. what do you call those? any ideas?

Irony? The latest from the feminists is that males don't like female leads because they're afraid of strong female characters in video games, and yet, if you play a female character, you get posts like this. So I'd say "Catch 22", because we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

@Danikat.8537 said:

In real life guns and bows co-existed for hundreds of years before firearms finally made bows (largely) obsolete. And just like in GW2 the reason for that is they had different utility. Guns did more damage of course but for much of their history they were slower to load and fire and less reliable - they couldn't be aimed as accurately and may not fire at all, or may backfire and injure or kill the user. As recently as the late 18th century winning a pistol duel was as much blind luck - whose gun actually fired first and hit the target - as anything to do with the persons skill. Even early guns and bullets were also harder to produce and maintain than bows, and of course you couldn't re-use the ammunition.

Pistols and rifles were unknown in GW1 Tyria and if I remember correctly non-magical explosives of all kinds were relatively rare. Since then they've been through a bit of an industrial revolution, but we're still in the middle of that. It's possible that if we ever get a GW3 set significantly further into the future bows will be gone, but it's not unrealistic that it hasn't happened yet.

It's also not totally unrealistic for our characters to wear heels. Almost certainly not the best choice but not impossible either, depending on the exact design.

In real life I'm the last woman you're likely to see in heels, partially because I refuse point-blank to buy shoes I can't run, jump or walk on uneven ground in. (As a teenager I did buy a pair of strappy stilettos because that's just what teenage girls did. At some point in my early 20's, after referring to them as "my evil shoes" for several years and looking for any excuse
not
to wear them I finally came to my senses and got rid of them.) But even so I have 2 pairs of shoes with heels.

One are ankle boots with heels the full width of my foot and a serrated bottom which gives them some grip and one is a pair of wedges (where there's no gap between the sole and heel, it gradually rises up to the full height) which have rubberised textured soles to give them some grip. The second ones I actually bought for my wedding where I'd be walking on, potentially muddy, grass all day and climbing a short way up a tree for photos. I've since worn both in various situations where heels are not the obvious choice, including walking 2 miles over a nature reserve in a place very appropriately called Sandy.

Of course they wouldn't be my first choice if I knew I was going to be walking a lot or on uneven ground (although at the moment I think they have better grip than my very worn out trainers) but if I had to I could do without any more risk of injuring myself than usual.

Even bringing some element of realism into it I'd say it depends on the character - I can absolutely imagine some characters prioritising fashion over function, or at least compromising on 'practical' heeled shoes and managing without tripping up or getting constant blisters. And then of course there's Kasmeers approach - apparently her entire outfit is an illusion so what it looks like is entirely irrelevant to it's practicality. If she can manage an illusionary dress, and maintain it during combat, I would think a lot of characters could manage illusionary shoes.

The guns in GW2 are assault rifles, machine pistols, sniper rifles, and the like. Not at all the sort of firearms that coexisted with bows on real world battlefields.

Bows are used over firearms by some modern hunters as a form of sport to personally handicap the hunter, not because they are in any way more effective than a rifle.

Yes, that’s why high heels exist in real life and real life is why it’s not reasonable for someone to wear high heels in a real life combat situation. The real life rules of physics apply and make high heels unreasonable in that situation.

However a game isn’t real life and arguing that real life rules should apply to a computer game is ignoring that the rules are not the same. In real life a person would have to be a fool to try to shoot fire from their bare hands. Reality doesn’t allow it. However the computer reality is that my char can shoot fire from its bare hands, and it can wear high heels on combat without problems too.

Someone can feel that they don’t want their char to look a certain way but it’s a losing argument to say that someone is not smart to wear something in a game just because it’s not smart to do in real life.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"gebrechen.5643" said:
I really like the "but it's a fantasy game argument". There isn't another logical reason for high heels existing but "it's fashion",
while the things you mentioned have a real use."No one with a brain would use bows when pistols and rifles exist, yet here we are." Yes, bows are still around and are still used for hunting over rifles. Which means there are practical applications of Bows or Crossbows in the world, while there is not a single one for high heels in a fantasy world.I can live with them existing, but we don't need more of those but less. I really could see getting a lot more sandals or boots and especially more skirts, kilts, etc.

Yes, that’s why high heels exist in real life and real life is why it’s not reasonable for someone to wear high heels in a real life combat situation. The real life rules of physics apply and make high heels unreasonable in that situation.

However a game isn’t real life and arguing that real life rules should apply to a computer game is ignoring that the rules are not the same. In real life a person would have to be a fool to try to shoot fire from their bare hands. Reality doesn’t allow it. However the computer reality is that my char can shoot fire from its bare hands, and it can wear high heels too.

Someone can feel that they don’t want their char to look a certain way but it’s a losing argument to say that someone is not smart to wear something in a game just because it’s not smart to do in real life.

Actually, I know women that can not only run in high heels, but fight in 'em, I've seen them do it. Ok, we're not talking dodging dragons or anything, but I have to laugh at "It's not practical", because while it's not, there are people that can do it, and do it often. Someone on another gaming forum once made the claim that one couldn't fight with long hair, because it would get in the way. I had to laugh, as I shifted to stop sitting on mine, since I was working as a professional bouncer at the time. It comes down to "I can't do it, so I can't see anyone else being able to either". I love the argument against fantasy too, in a fantasy setting MMO...

@"Leo G.4501" said:

Now make one for a male character!

But male character's look silly in just about everything but Heavy Armor.

Seriously, my female characters: Human Necro, Sylvari Thief, Asura Engineer, Norn RangerMy male characters: Human Guardian, Charr Revenant

Ironic considering the contents of the OPs post, I'm debating creating a Female Norn Warrior wearing (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eagle_armor) for chest and legs, wielding dual axes for that full on Nordic barbarian look! But sadly I'm not sure if I like the weapon animations on Female Norn Warrior (GS / Axe) so I may end up another Male Charr.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

@"luzonophir.7134" said:male roleplaying as female characters. what do you call those? any ideas?

Irony? The latest from the feminists is that males don't like female leads because they're afraid of strong female characters in video games, and yet, if you play a female character, you get posts like this. So I'd say "Catch 22", because we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

well there is no irony coz a lesbian, lesbian femme, or a feminist irl can make a zerker sexy and hot female facetank spellbreaker and pwn people of all races and still reflect her feminism or being alpha lesbian/lesbian femme or being a strong woman in tyria, and even reflecting her appearance irl.

so there is no catch 22 comparison.

I see the opposite.I got most armor skins, and I can hardly find any skimpy gear and high heels for males. And barely any for females.

In the Saints Row games you can make a muscular man who wears a cocktail dress complete with stockings, high heels long sleeve gloves and earrings. You could also wear a dress in a few other games like some Ultimas and Fable.We should be able to do that in every game. Clothes should not be gendered.

@Avelynn.2691 said:

The guns in GW2 are assault rifles, machine pistols, sniper rifles, and the like. Not at all the sort of firearms that coexisted with bows on real world battlefields.

From my understanding all of them function either with magic or blackpowder...so..theres some wiggle room. At any rate we have /magic/ in game that can reflect or bounce projectiles, which makes all those kinds of weapons just as useful as a bow, actually it can make those weapons deadly to the user. But to why this got brought up, high heels in combat situations are completely impractical and idiotic, theres a reason we dont issue women in the services high heels for more than dress uniform attire. But in a game it doesnt bother me to have heels.

@Dante.1763 said:

From my understanding all of them function either with magic or blackpowder...so..theres some wiggle room. At any rate we have /magic/ in game that can
reflect or bounce
projectiles, which makes all those kinds of weapons just as useful as a bow, actually it can make those weapons
deadly to the user
. But to why this got brought up, high heels in combat situations are completely impractical and idiotic, theres a reason we dont issue women in the services high heels for more than dress uniform attire. But in a game it doesnt bother me to have heels.

you must know Macau alchemy to know the Secret of Blackpowder.

@luzonophir.7134 said:

@luzonophir.7134 said:male roleplaying as female characters. what do you call those? any ideas?

well there is no irony coz a lesbian, lesbian femme, or a feminist irl can make a zerker sexy and hot female facetank spellbreaker and pwn people of all races and still reflect her feminism or being alpha lesbian/lesbian femme or being a strong woman in tyria, and even reflecting her appearance irl.

so there is no catch 22 comparison.

I think you're misinformed. We're not discussing that, we're discussing males playing as females, that was the question I answered, and the NPCs are all over being mad at male gamers for both playing as females, and for not playing as females, which is the very definition of Catch 22.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Dear devs,

It is really hard to find armor sets or outfits for female characters that look fitting for an adventurer. This is the main reason I (almost) exclusively play male characters.

I mean, this is GW2 and not Conan the Barbarian after all, no? ;) It would be nice to have more options to be able to dress female human and norn characters properly, namely as female adventurers and not as princesses or seductresses. :+1:

Thank you.

Are you freeek'in kidding me? The light armor has only received one true mini skirt in 6 years and you call this game's armors skimpy!!Skirtpants are not true skirts and they are certainly not skimpy. If anything Anet is afraid of skimpyness for fear of what parents will say.My 2 cents. Oh and here is that only one true skirt for light armor.https://imgur.com/elZKY7R

For light armour? Sure, I think the flesh-to-cloth ratio is firmly slanted towards the flesh end but it's cloth, it's just clothing. It's not really going to stop a very large and angry ettin's club. However, this is a game where a god's been killed off, world eating dragons are around and you can fire lightning out your backside so realism clearly got off the train a few stops ago. So, is it aesthetically consistent? Sure, so who cares.I'm sorry if idealised depictions of the male and female form trigger you; I recommend you don't go to any museums with ancient roman and greek artwork, especially the statues.

That being said, I've been trying to work out a skimpy look for my new revenant and man... heavy armour really doesn't have a chainmail bikini analogue, or even a leather one-I miss the old GW1 Gladiator armour. It's quite annoying because since they're a sylvari I want to see the bio-luminescence and I'm really struggling. I'll probably end up using the citizen outfit instead. Medium armour struggles too unless you're human female or norn imo.However, so long as it's consistent between the genders (gladiator armour's mankini was great in gw1, especially if it was dyed pink. That never got old!) I personally don't get my knickers in a twist about it, and it's not like anyone's forcing you to use them. If you have a problem with someone else dressing their doll in a way you don't like then you're the No Fun Allowed police imo.

History lesson if it's not been thrown out already: high heels were originally for men. Specifically, men riding horses into battle because it helped keep their feet in the stirrups. Women adopted them because Reasons.

@"Loki.4871" said:That being said, I've been trying to work out a skimpy look for my new revenant and man... heavy armour really doesn't have a chainmail bikini analogue, or even a leather one-I miss the old GW1 Gladiator armour. It's quite annoying because since they're a sylvari I want to see the bio-luminescence and I'm really struggling. I'll probably end up using the citizen outfit instead. Medium armour struggles too unless you're human female or norn imo.

Have you tried the Barbaric armor? There's also the Scallywag armor, which is arguably the closest you can get to shirtless for dudes. Also, there's the Pit Fighter armor (or Flamewrath if you want added fire effects).