Rental Beetles, what after you get dismounted?

SCVwar.3784

For players who do not owns the beetle mount, can rent one from renter NPC hanging around the start of beetle racecourses.But there is no system/prompt to re-summon those rental mounts during a race once the rental beetle HP goes 0 or dismounting willingly.I want to emphasize this problem is hurting the driving experience during roller beetle races which has no reset prompts.This is not a convincing way of punishing players who drive recklessly but just a pure annoyance and short-sighted design decision.Players who get forcefully dismounted stays in combat for 2~3 seconds (if there are no attacking hostile NPCs) which already puts the player behind for considerable amount of time.Since ANet is allowing new players to try the new beetle mount, just a bit more attention to quality of life details are currently required for the rental beetle experience to be whole.

I had to run back to the renter NPC on my raptor mount after my rental beetle couldn't survive the fall damage at Hidden Lake, Brisban Wildlands. TWICE.

Edited: Basically, ANet grant re-mount buttons/option for players who are using rental beetle. Problem solved.

• Like 1

@TexZero.7910 said:You realize that maybe the rental is a good will item and you should return the favor and buy the expansion if you havent already then go and unlock said mount since you clearly enjoy racing.

I already own both expansions for my two accounts. I'm working on the living story episode and the permanent beetle mount achievement for my alt account.But that has nothing to do with the quality of life changes required for rental beetle mount that many other new players are going to experience.

I agree that a timed rental should give a re-mount option during the time window. That said, you had the easiest fix as you noted -- just raptor up to the person and re-rent and carry on, minimal lost time for the race. It's not fall damage, btw, it's being dismounted by hitting the water so you can boost in the right place to get past the water ... oh wait. Could be fall damage, if you haven't maxed out Springer mastery yet.

TexZero, OP didn't say they didn't own PoF, just that they don't have the beetle (in fact, they have a raptor, ie they DO have PoF). Getting the beetle and its masteries is pretty time intensive and dependent on some big group events that people might not be working on right now, so maybe they just can't get it in the time limit for the sweepstakes dailies.

@Donari.5237 said:TexZero, OP didn't say they didn't own PoF, just that they don't have the beetle (in fact, they have a raptor, ie they DO have PoF). Getting the beetle and its masteries is pretty time intensive and dependent on some big group events that people might not be working on right now, so maybe they just can't get it in the time limit for the sweepstakes dailies.

I didn't say they didn't have PoF. I stated that if they didn't already have it they should buy it. Clearly they do so what they should be doing is unlocking the beetle mount so they never have to worry about the rental again.

But that's just what seems most logical to me...Maybe i'm the oddball here.

What the OP described is fall damage. Usually the damage is not enough to dismount you even without any mastery, but if you run over bandit mines in the road going west from wendon steps, you will not regain your health before making the jump and end up being dismounted when you land.

I may be wrong with the following detail but I had the impression those bandit mines only damage you when using the rental beetle and not when using your own one. Unless someone is faster with a comment on this, I will verify this the next time I get into the game and edit my post :)

@Shikigami.4013 said:What the OP described is fall damage. Usually the damage is not enough to dismount you even without any mastery, but if you run over bandit mines in the road going west from wendon steps, you will not regain your health before making the jump and end up being dismounted when you land.

I may be wrong with the following detail but I had the impression those bandit mines only damage you when using the rental beetle and not when using your own one. Unless someone is faster with a comment on this, I will verify this the next time I get into the game and edit my post :)

I tried with my own beetle as well, bandit landmines still trigger, but ultimately with bunny mastery 'Masterful Descent' the fall damage upon landing is barely noticeable.

@TexZero.7910 said:You realize that maybe the rental is a good will item and you should return the favor and buy the expansion if you havent already then go and unlock said mount since you clearly enjoy racing.

And what if you have it but arent there in the story yet?

And on principle, that an NPC says he rents you a mount for 1 silver (which is rather cheap), for an hour (pretty long) which then gets lost as soon as you get off it, is not really good. Especially as talking to NPCs unmounts you automatically, which sometimes just happens as you want to talk to the Race NPC.

Personally Im unaffected, and I dont think its a huge problem per say. But at least its not very well done either. And if thats going to be the kind of design thats supposed to convince people to buy the expansion or not, I rather have something that doesnt accidentally enables a waste of money.

And, while probably never going to happen, I wouldnt mind more rental services, with, lets say specific skins, or even specific use mount in the future, or whichever. In that case a rental service that doesn't feel like it could rip you off, would be nice.

@"Warlord.9082" said:Well, after you get dismounted you go buy PoF and get the perma-version.

Yeah, like you talk to the NPC, jump on the mount, talk to the race mount, get auto-dismounted, and you think: "MY, those 5 steps were Fun! Now I want to buy PoF! Anet is amazing!"

Mounts are just that intense I guess.

(At least my first experience with the rental mounts was like that, minus buying PoF, as I had that already, but still)

Like others said, the rental beetle exists purely as an attraction to non-PoF players. Once they get to try it out, they want to keep it, and thus will buy the expansion with more likelihood. The forced dismounting for whatever reason is annoying though, and I don't see why re-mounting isn't an option.

I logged in on my non-PoF alt account just to see if I could rent a beetle and abuse that for faster map completion. Turns out I can't. Even if I don't sink into a lake or die to mobs, I will be dismounted anyway as soon as I switch maps, either by waypoint or by a physical portal. So it can be used for ultra-fast map completion in the map you can rent it in, but that's it. So I don't see why non-PoF players can't mount and dismount to their heart's content, as long as they stay in that same map.

It's not a problem for me since I own the xpac obviously, but I can see why non-PoF owners are frustrated. Sometimes you will be dismounted during a race, and having to run back to the NPC is really disheartening. Since these races exist in core Tyria maps, are available to everyone and aren't locked behind an expansion in any way, I think every player should have an equal opportunity to play them and shine in them.

• Like 1

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:Like others said, the rental beetle exists purely as an attraction to non-PoF players. Once they get to try it out, they want to keep it, and thus will buy the expansion with more likelihood. The forced dismounting for whatever reason is annoying though, and I don't see why re-mounting isn't an option.

I logged in on my non-PoF alt account just to see if I could rent a beetle and abuse that for faster map completion. Turns out I can't. Even if I don't sink into a lake or die to mobs, I will be dismounted anyway as soon as I switch maps, either by waypoint or by a physical portal. So it can be used for ultra-fast map completion in the map you can rent it in, but that's it. So I don't see why non-PoF players can't mount and dismount to their heart's content, as long as they stay in that same map.

It's not a problem for me since I own the xpac obviously, but I can see why non-PoF owners are frustrated. Sometimes you will be dismounted during a race, and having to run back to the NPC is really disheartening. Since these races exist in core Tyria maps, are available to everyone and aren't locked behind an expansion in any way, I think every player should have an equal opportunity to play them and shine in them.

The answer to why they cant is pretty obvious to me, ANET wants to give people a taste of what mounts are so that those with free accounts will buy the expansions.

Dismount in the race due to damage usually means you will not get time good enough for rewards anyhow: When that happens to me i reset the lap in timed challenge (you can reset at any time by using X in the corner on active race quest - that brings up reset window)

Nice idea for Qol improvement OP but having in mind impact on gameplay vs time needed to implement, i think it will be left as it is.Beetle collection(s) are not too hard, people that get hooked on racing will solve it by obtaining permanent mount :)

Yeah, no. I'm playing through the story beginning to end on my second account. I haven't even gotten to HoT, let alone PoF, so no mounts at all, let alone Beetle. It's a pain in the butt getting dismounted during the race, but that's just a thing, too bad, deal with it. Get better so it doesn't happen. There is only one place it happens regularly anyway, and that's the Brisban jump

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

Go do whatever you need to do to unlock it ?

I don't know why that's such a foriegn concept....

Like if i want food and have none in the fridge im not gonna stand there and yell into the fridge for it to materialize. I'm going to go out and get food.

@TexZero.7910 said:

Like if i want food and have none in the fridge im not gonna stand there and yell into the fridge for it to materialize. I'm going to go out and get food.

With a clearly indicated time limited beetle race promotion going on, and the otherwise casual nature of the game...

You're saying you need to just go out of your way to get the beetle mount as fast as possible, regardless of your interests as a player. A bit brash, but practical.Not unsurprising bit of logic, for someone who sees needing a mount on the same level as getting food. Gaming is life after all.

I agree that you should be able to get the rental beetle back if you're dismounted within the 1 hour timer.

I completely understand the argument that you should buy PoF and get the permanent version if you want to keep it, but I'm not convinced a rental version which can be lost that easily is the way to persuade people. I know if that happened to me (and it almost certainly would since it took me a few tries to learn even the basics of using the beetle) I'd just think "Well that was pointless" and go do something else. It would be more likely to persuade me if I had enough time and some allowance for mistakes that I could get used to handling it and find out how much fun it can be.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

With a clearly indicated time limited beetle race promotion going on, and the otherwise casual nature of the game...

You're saying you need to just go out of your way to get the beetle mount as fast as possible, regardless of your interests as a player. A bit brash, but practical.Not unsurprising bit of logic, for someone who sees needing a mount on the same level as getting food. Gaming is life after all.

Seriously ?

Oh okay fine the promotional event for the beetle only last 2 weeks whoa is them. They only have to subscribe to a newsletter and participate in 1 race.Lets be a bit logical here....Don't pick the 1 race that can dismount you. How about that, or is that too dang brash ?

I bet you'll come up with some backhanded remark though about how i take the game too seriously and i for one look forward to it.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Being forced off your mount while interacting with the NPC to activate the flag is annoying. I can't imagine renting a mount and then that happens.

I have found that after the first time I tell the NPC I'm going for speed, all I have to do is roll up on top of the flag and I get the popup to start the adventure. Even if I told the NPC in one map, I can roll onto the flag on the next map and see my speeds and start things up. I hope it works the same on a rental.

• 2 years later...

Okay, as a player who is NEW to the game AND has the PoF expansion, are we going to ignore players like me who are trying to play the game normally and not use the thing that gets you all the way up to level 80? And since level 80 is when you're actually able to get and use a mount, and I am currently level 36 on my first character (as in, first character ever), it's pretty annoying being told "well just buy the expansion or be level 80 already" when it's pretty clear the game was originally intended to be played (for newbies) to grind all the way up to finally get a mount. It's pretty effin annoying that they don't just put it in at least for people that /do/ own the expansion (like me). I can see what you're saying for people playing the base game for free, but what about us? As someone else said, really disheartening getting dismounted on the opposite side of the map and then having to walk all the way back to get on it again (or I guess pay to get to a waypoint near the rental person).Please ANet, give us a way to remount within the rental time limit...

@"Ascyndaeon.1907" said:Okay, as a player who is NEW to the game AND has the PoF expansion, are we going to ignore players like me who are trying to play the game normally and not use the thing that gets you all the way up to level 80? And since level 80 is when you're actually able to get and use a mount, and I am currently level 36 on my first character (as in, first character ever), it's pretty annoying being told "well just buy the expansion or be level 80 already" when it's pretty clear the game was originally intended to be played (for newbies) to grind all the way up to finally get a mount. It's pretty effin annoying that they don't just put it in at least for people that /do/ own the expansion (like me). I can see what you're saying for people playing the base game for free, but what about us? As someone else said, really disheartening getting dismounted on the opposite side of the map and then having to walk all the way back to get on it again (or I guess pay to get to a waypoint near the rental person).Please ANet, give us a way to remount within the rental time limit...

Here is some information: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rent-a-Mount_(Beetle_Racing)

(You have an hour to remount a rental mount.)