Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"tonac.2394" said:Yea i did that, extract and then via terminal like in the picture i write that setup.sh. This is what looks like in map where i extract https://imgur.com/1ijWBxN Dont know if i did smth wrong

At the end of my first post there are the links for the correct downloads. Search for the "Download Links" section and download the correct package depending on your graphics card. Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/Vofy61q.png

Hey, again me. I get this error after I put in terminal ./play.sh ---> wineserver: failed to change priority to SCHED_FIFO/90

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Y8ZR9zPMGq/ here is debug if it's of any help

And also i dont see laucnher anywhere, i can see that gw2 is running in backgruond but nothing is happening or it should go like that. srry for many post :P :S

@"tonac.2394" said:Hey, again me. I get this error after I put in terminal ./play.sh ---> wineserver: failed to change priority to SCHED_FIFO/90

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Y8ZR9zPMGq/ here is debug if it's of any help

And also i dont see laucnher anywhere, i can see that gw2 is running in backgruond but nothing is happening or it should go like that. srry for many post :P :S

Have you ran ./setup.sh first?

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:and then you will have to deal with all the windows problems? thanks, but no thanks. Why dont you troll elesewhere?

look at the thread. how many linux bugs do you see? over 9000.

try running GW2 on windows XP and most likely you'll see under 9000 bugs or yeah, close to 0.

MacOS is certified UNIX-like by the Open Group. and where did Gates base the proto-Windows? upon finishing an Apple Demo Tour.

Now see why Linux is not supported.

i did have windows but i lost my hdd so i am trying on linux know. and i know that windows will run better for games, but this thread is not for windows but for linux and problems on linux. so i dont see why you have to come here and say that. i dont mind if there is problem, no hurry for me and i think the rest of the ppl here are well aware that playing on linux is not a easy ride :) so pls dont comment smth like this anymore and let the rest post their problem or solutions for problems.

@zionophir.6845 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:and then you will have to deal with all the windows problems? thanks, but no thanks. Why dont you troll elesewhere?

look at the thread. how many linux bugs do you see? over 9000.

try running GW2 on windows XP and most likely you'll see under 9000 bugs or yeah, close to 0.

MacOS is certified UNIX-like by the Open Group. and where did Gates base the proto-Windows? upon finishing an Apple Demo Tour.

Now see why Linux is not supported.

and macos is a piece of crap that nobody in their right mind runs on servers or workstations. Windows NT was based on VMS. So... what was your point? And 'apple demo tour' - sorry, but apple stole everything from XEROX. Again, what was your point?

I don't have problems running gw2 in linux btw. But: I am an experienced user who is not using some 'user friendly' distro made for windows 'I am scared of the terminal' users. Because those with all their special 'improvements' really screw people over in the long run.

Also, I administered windows at work for many years. I know how broken that POS really is. And with all the juicy Win10 upgrade problems, from deleted files to non-working hardware, nothing has improved.

no, I am saying that anet is looking for the biggest population.

But as a linux user that does not mean that I am going to install an OS that is simply inferior in every way, just to run a game. Especially a game that runs pretty good with wine.

But you are free to go to any of the countless windows bug threads in this forum and troll there.

Is it possible that if there is a need for this debate again...

that it get its own thread and not litter this one up with an argument that doesn't have one correct answer.

There are valid reasons for both sides, but the only one that really matters is personal choice.

this thread is for informational purpose is it possible to keep it to that please?

If one wants to use Windows use it, if you want to use Linux and other OS's please do that too.

All these debates do is trash a thread that is a great informational source for those that do want to use Linux and this game together.

Just start another thread it isn't that big a deal is it?

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@"Stormy Dragon.9210" said:WINE 3.12 had the same problem as with WINE 3.11, and reverting back to WINE 3.10 allows it to run, so it definitely seems to be a WINE thing, but it also seems to not be affecting everyone.

Which distro are you using? Maybe it's an Ubuntu 17.10 problem?

I test the game on 3 different PC's each without issues, running a different distro: Mint 18.1, Debian 9, Ubuntu 18.04. Have you tried to run the game in a clean prefix?

It turns out this issue was due to a bug in WINE that only occurred for CPUs with more than 16 logical processors (the CPU mask format changes and some of the functions couldn't handle the new format):

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45453

The good news is that I was able to work with one of the WINE devs to fix the bug and it was included in the WINE 4.0-rc1 release

@Stormy Dragon.9210 said:

@Stormy Dragon.9210 said:WINE 3.12 had the same problem as with WINE 3.11, and reverting back to WINE 3.10 allows it to run, so it definitely seems to be a WINE thing, but it also seems to not be affecting everyone.

I test the game on 3 different PC's each without issues, running a different distro: Mint 18.1, Debian 9, Ubuntu 18.04. Have you tried to run the game in a clean prefix?

It turns out this issue was due to a bug in WINE that only occurred for CPUs with more than 16 logical processors (the CPU mask format changes and some of the functions couldn't handle the new format):

The good news is that I was able to work with one of the WINE devs to fix the bug and it was included in the WINE 4.0-rc1 release

I read that one in the changelog, is 16 Logical processors as in 8 Cores + 8 Threads or 16 Real Cores? On my 1700X it runs fine on all 16, however performance is better if I limit it to the first 8 threads (taskset -c 0-7).

I'm planning to update the Wine version when 4.0 is released however there's 1 small problem, from what I read, the PBA patches are having issues as of 3.21.

@"tonac.2394" said:so is there any hope for my problem, i tried several time deleting and installing wine again but its the same result --> wineserver: failed to change priority to SCHED_FIFO/90

That error can be ignored, most likely your issue is due to missing 32bit libraries. There are various guides how to install them, a simple and easy one is here: https://blog.teststation.org/ubuntu/2016/05/12/installing-32-bit-software-on-ubuntu-16.04/ (disregard the 16.04, it works the same on newer distros too).

EDIT: Here's how to run GW2 on a freshly installed laptop (using Intel HD graphics) with Ubuntu 18.10 (or derivatives), this guide assumes that you just installed the OS and the first thing you want to do is play the game:

Step 1) In terminal: sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 [This will add 32bit support to the OS]

Step 2) In terminal: sudo apt-get update [This will make the 32bit libraries/packages available for download]

Step 3) Open up "Software", this is basically the "Google Play Store" or "Mac App Store", search for "Synaptic Package Manager" and install it {This is a simple but user friendly way to install programs and libraries]

Step 4) Open up the newly installed Synaptic and install the library called "libc6-i386", right-click > Mark of Installation > hit 'Apply'.

Step 5) Again from Synaptic: Click on 'Architecture' > select 'arch:i386' > search for "libstdc++6:i386" > right-click > Mark for Installation > it will notify that you also have to install additional packages > choose "Mark" > hit 'Apply'.

Step 6) Last step again in Synaptic: Click on 'Architecture' > select 'arch:i386' > this time search for "libfreetype6:i386" > right-click > Mark for Installation > it will again notify that you also have to install additional packages > choose "Mark" > hit 'Apply'.

After that you can run the play.sh file and the game should run trouble free.

I'm getting really close to being ready to ditch Windows10 on all of my computers, but will probably start with just my old Dell Inspiron 17R laptop first, before removing Windows10 from my desktop computer. My two main Windows programs, which do not have a native port to Linux, that I use almost daily, are Guild Wars 2, and my CAD drawing program, "TurboCAD". I think after reading this thread (most of it anyway), I am more encouraged to move forward in removing Windows10 from my laptop, and trying Linux w/WINE, to run these two Windows programs/games, and any other Windows only software I might think I need/want to run. My laptop is approx. 6 years old Dell Inspiron 17R with a 3rd generation i7, Nvidia GT 650M 2gb VRAM discrete video card, 16gb RAM (Dell says 8gb max., but working fine with 16gb), and 3 storage devices, 1TB hdd, 240gb SSD, and 128gb M.2 SSD (M.2 was supposed to be max. 16gb hdd cache only, but someone else figured out it could work as regular storage instead).

I'll do more in depth reading both here, and elsewhere, but if any of you wish to help shorten my research time by sharing your opinions, recommendations, preferences, etc., I would greatly appreciate it. I have installed and looked at various Linux distros over the years, but never become a Linux user, so I consider myself a complete noob, when it comes to anything Linux related, but I do have limited alternative OS experience. My first step will be to choose which Linux distro to install, hoping to find something small and compact/fast, probably with a minimal footprint and tiny kernel size. I will most likely use "AmiKit-X", as a desktop replacement, as long as I can run Firefox for web browsing, and WINE to run GW2 and TurboCAD, I should be happy. If I can also run TeamSpeak, and/or Discord (also via WINE), that will be a bonus.

GW2 is mostly CPU bound, but I am still hoping to be able to use the discrete Nvidia GT650M video card to improve the appearance of GW2 while playing, so I don't have to play at the lowest settings (if possible), like I usually am forced to do while running Windows10. I am really hoping that a minimal Linux distro and WINE will allow me to play GW2 better and faster than I can currently with all of the Windows10 bloat, but I won't get my hopes up too high.

Any and all opinions, suggestions and links to more help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. To be conservative, I will most likely erase one of the two SSD's in my laptop, and install Linux on it, while keeping my current Windows10 installation on the slow 1TB hdd. If all goes well, I can then move the Windows10 installation to the larger of the two SSD's, and just use the 1TB hdd for data files, like movies, or such, and keep it as a dual boot system (just in case I need Windows10 for something that won't run well on WINE).

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Stormy Dragon.9210 said:WINE 3.12 had the same problem as with WINE 3.11, and reverting back to WINE 3.10 allows it to run, so it definitely seems to be a WINE thing, but it also seems to not be affecting everyone.

I read that one in the changelog, is 16 Logical processors as in 8 Cores + 8 Threads or 16 Real Cores? On my 1700X it runs fine on all 16, however performance is better if I limit it to the first 8 threads (taskset -c 0-7).

I'm planning to update the Wine version when 4.0 is released however there's 1 small problem, from what I read, the PBA patches are having issues as of 3.21.

In Intel processors, logical cores is 2x physical cores because of hyper-threading.

As I understand the bug, it only occurs on architectures that supports MORE than 16 logical CPUs, so it's only an issue for really new ones like Skylake-X or Threadripper

@Stormy Dragon.9210 said:

In Intel processors, logical cores is 2x physical cores because of hyper-threading.

As I understand the bug, it only occurs on architectures that supports MORE than 16 logical CPUs, so it's only an issue for really new ones like Skylake-X or Threadripper

Oops, I missed the "more" part. Most likely in the next release I will update the Wine base to include this fix. Since GW2 depends a lot on eSync and PBA a plain Wine build won't do, I'll have to wait for all the patches to be rebased to compile it. Consider this on my to do list :-)

EDIT: This got me thinking today, would you be up for helping with running a few tests? I would like to offer a solution and I already have a few possible workarounds (until Wine 4.0 can be built with eSync + PBA). Let me know if you're interested, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for all your work on this. It's great! I've got one issue though which I've had with all installations I've tried of wine so far. Only nearby character models are rendered. I see the name plates but no model unless I get close to them or click them. I've modified LOD but this hasn't helped. The only thing I see in the debug logs that stands out is this message spammed a lot.

0082:fixme:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x1591e80: "Program undefined behavior warning: Sampler object 14 has depth compare enabled. It is being used with depth texture 145, by a program that samples it with a regular sampler. This is undefined beahvior.".

@"omegaharvest.7461" said:Thanks for all your work on this. It's great! I've got one issue though which I've had with all installations I've tried of wine so far. Only nearby character models are rendered. I see the name plates but no model unless I get close to them or click them. I've modified LOD but this hasn't helped. The only thing I see in the debug logs that stands out is this message spammed a lot.

0082:fixme:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x1591e80: "Program undefined behavior warning: Sampler object 14 has depth compare enabled. It is being used with depth texture 145, by a program that samples it with a regular sampler. This is undefined beahvior.".

Have you tried setting the Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality in Graphics options? Those 2 control how many characters appear on screen and how far. Despite that error, it isn't a Wine issue.

Hello, again me, i have an another problem (or not). when i install drivers for nvidia and i install the ppa thing too, game wont start. I type ./play.sh but it doesn't launch,it is running in background and that is that. But when i dont have nvidia and i play on nouveau driver, i can play it but stutters and it is not nice :S so is there any solution to this or? and i am wondering will there be any difference if i can play on my nvidia, i am saying this bc i dont have great specs so its just maybe down to my specs and nothing can be done :/So i have: GeForce 710 M, Intel® Core™ i3-2348M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4, 8 GB RAM on laptop

@tonac.2394 said:Hello, again me, i have an another problem (or not). when i install drivers for nvidia and i install the ppa thing too, game wont start. I type ./play.sh but it doesn't launch,it is running in background and that is that. But when i dont have nvidia and i play on nouveau driver, i can play it but stutters and it is not nice :S so is there any solution to this or? and i am wondering will there be any difference if i can play on my nvidia, i am saying this bc i dont have great specs so its just maybe down to my specs and nothing can be done :/So i have: GeForce 710 M, Intel® Core™ i3-2348M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4, 8 GB RAM on laptop

Sadly I'm not very familiar with Nvidia GPUs on laptops, you could look into "primusrun" and "bumblebee". My laptop knowledge is limited to Intel/AMD. Typically when everything is set you run the game with "primusrun ./play.sh"