Cape Requests [merged] - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Cape Requests [merged]

Comments

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    largely because if they did, none of the other back items would sell anywhere near as good.

That's not true. I can think of several of my characters who would look awful/silly/OOC with a cape. I would probably use it only on my Ranger and perhaps (depending on the type of cape) on my Guardian.

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can just imagine all Charr's with capes hanging through their neck and out in front like a frock. I'm guessing that's why.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    "GW2 is a MSOFGG: Mass Singleplayer Online Fashion Grinding Game" -me

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

Cape-threads for reference:
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/52981/can-we-get-some-capes
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/50942/weapon-contest-now-future-projects-mounts-finishers-backpieces-capes-cloaks
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/48603/cloaks-and-capes
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/41120/silly-question-capes
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/32217/capes-and-cloaks
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31398/guild-capes
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/28371/cape-question

Beside the usual pro and con arguments, nostalgia and clipping issues.
    I wouldn't mind the option but would never equip one. I like the way my chars look and I like to see how they look, at least their backside. Why would I want to cover up 90% of what I see of my char? Also, since backpieces don't come with a dye slot, would the population of cape supporters pls elaborate how they would feel if all the capes were basically recolors(think: white, black, golden, rainbow wings)? How would you feel if the guild/pvp/WvW/worldboss/story cape would be color [X] when your toons look is the color [Y]?

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

Colision between capes and toon on some races would be tyresome to craft for the devs :\

I cant imagine a cape in a charr for example :\, maybe should be on humans only, charrs could have their barbecue backpacks(like the wvw one)?

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aeolus.3615 said:
    Colision between capes and toon on some races would be tyresome to craft for the devs :\

I cant imagine a cape in a charr for example :\, maybe should be on humans only, charrs could have their barbecue backpacks(like the wvw one)?

That would make even more issues: Charr players like myself already get upset when an outfit is forced to be the male only version(shoot asura players do as well), having an item we paid for not appear as what we bought would be worse.

@OP the qouted post is correct though, Collisions would be awful on certain races, and if they looked like GW1 cloaks id rather not see them added, so much clipping.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Inception.1476Inception.1476 Member ✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018

Heey guys.
    I was wondering if the guildcape could return too this game.
    like you would have in guildwars 1.
    I think it would look awesome and i think many more people want too have it back.
    I hope too hear soon

• It's been requested by some since launch. If the past is any indication, it is unlikely word will be forthcoming soon.

• Chay.7852Chay.7852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018

I doubt we will get capes in gw2 - since they didn't implement them until now even though the community is asking for them since release. I am wondering though if it is possible to bring an outfit with cape - let's call it the guild outfit - which ppl can dye and display their guild emblem on the cape just as we had it in gw1. Might be a compromise.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

didn't they say it wouldn't happen because of clipping issues or something

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭

If displaying your guild emblem is what you are after, there is guild armor ( light medium heavy ) that displays the emblem on the chest piece.

• Chay.7852Chay.7852 Member ✭✭✭

@derd.6413 said:

they did. And that's why i suggested the outfit because those don't clipp but could still have a real gw1-style cape not some sort of flag on your back. I mean... im fine without capes - not even in gw1 did i always display my guild cape even though it was nice imo.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Check the forums search function as this topic has been brought up several times.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• @derd.6413 said:

there was also mention in that post about something related to engine physics limitations on floaty piece of cloths?

(on a side note tho if you look at banners of ancient elonian kings..... it'd not require much of work to grab that, put a guild emblem on it and call it a day.....)

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2018

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:
    on a side note tho if you look at banners of ancient elonian kings..... it'd not require much of work to grab that, put a guild emblem on it and call it a day.....

Does that one work well with running charr? I haven't tried it personally as I find that huge banner pretty hideous ;) . The available guild emblem banners both use the "flag sticking out" model.

Oh, and thanks for motivating me to look these up (I only had a very faint memory of a guild emblem back item skin). I just realized there's also a backpack that would go well with one of my characters (who is also using the guild chest piece), I need to go and get that one :) .

• @Rasimir.6239 said:

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:
    on a side note tho if you look at banners of ancient elonian kings..... it'd not require much of work to grab that, put a guild emblem on it and call it a day.....

Does that one work well with running charr? I haven't tried it personally as I find that huge banner pretty hideous ;) . The available guild emblem banners both use the "flag sticking out" model.

Oh, and thanks for motivating me to look these up (I only had a very faint memory of a guild emblem back item skin). I just realized there's also a backpack that would go well with one of my characters (who is also using the guild chest piece), I need to go and get that one :) .

I have no idea how this one works with charr - I used it for a bit on one of my human but have ultimatelly turned it off due extremely weird stuff happening to the cape bit when riding a griffon.....

but it's arguably a cape and I don't really see much of reasons why it couldn't be modified to serve as approximation of guild capes glory.

• Ruufio.1496Ruufio.1496 Member ✭✭✭

You have literally everything possible that you can put on your back other than something normal. If I told you they would sell like hot cakes would you do it? Because they kitten well would.

Look at this picture with the golden racing scarf, it looks like a cape from a certain angle:
    https://imgur.com/8CIYt0H

Just do it already. I want guild recognition and I haven't worn a single backpiece on any character over the course of 6 years because they're all terrible. Don't give me some nonsense about physics limitations or something - that picture is already basically a tiny cape.

• Didn't care (or wear) them in Guild Wars, would not wear them here.

But, if others want them, sobeit.

• Well if you want to show off your guild they have guild armor and guild weapons the weapons have a sash with the guild emblem on it. Capes are not needed please leave them in the past where they belong.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

There's a pretty good chance that the scarf technology will be used for capes on the future, the cloth physics look nice.

That said it may not be ready just yet and either way I'd prefer if the first cape was earned in game rather than a gemstore item. Maybe the next LS episode will have one.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Only if we get a puppy cape, otherwise it is just discrimination

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• kurfu.5623kurfu.5623 Member ✭✭✭

My thoughts on capes:

https://i.imgur.com/jFLtazZ.jpg

This is my signature. It is not very exciting.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Different question: Where would we even equip them?

Backpiece? Might be a bit lackluster compared to others.

Chest piece? Some chest pieces (heavy mostly) already have some type of cape near the bottom, doubling down on them would be bad.

Shoulders? Same problem as chest if pieces already have a semi-cape plus not being able to have a different shoulder piece would be bad too.

A new, entirely cosmetic slot seems out of question.

Bite me.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018

Edit: This used to be on-topic when the thread was titled: Kitten Capes

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

Chest piece? Some chest pieces (heavy mostly) already have some type of cape near the bottom, doubling down on them would be bad.

Shoulders? Same problem as chest if pieces already have a semi-cape plus not being able to have a different shoulder piece would be bad too.

Visually might take the place of back pieces. It would be lackluster compared to some, but for those of us that enjoy capes, or enjoyed, then I can see me wearing my guild cape and not worrying about my back piece showing.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:
    Well if you want to show off your guild they have guild armor and guild weapons the weapons have a sash with the guild emblem on it. Capes are not needed please leave them in the past where they belong.

That is correct. They are not needed.

By that logic neither are minis, guild halls, outfits, colored infusions, chairs, toys etc.

An option of capes has been asked for by a large number of players. Monitizing it would be an option.

Could even make it a guild hall upgrade to take you from a level 69 guild to a level 70 or above guild hall.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Anet said why we don't have capes. I miss mine.
    This post is like the hench/heros posts.
    Honestly if they could bring capes in and you dont care why not just accept it and click that 'don't show' and let others enjoy them.
    Same with Hench/heros. Who says you even got to use'em? Some of us would like them.
    Clearly a moot on both counts sadly.

• Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ruufio.1496 said:
    You have literally everything possible that you can put on your back other than something normal. If I told you they would sell like hot cakes would you do it? Because they kitten well would.

Look at this picture with the golden racing scarf, it looks like a cape from a certain angle:
    https://imgur.com/8CIYt0H

Just do it already. I want guild recognition and I haven't worn a single backpiece on any character over the course of 6 years because they're all terrible. Don't give me some nonsense about physics limitations or something - that picture is already basically a tiny cape.

It would help if they would give us the ability to hide stowed weapons, especially back stowed ones to reduce clipping with back items. Backpacks already clip as any cape would. Another thing I would like to see is shields doubling as backpack skins. There are some wonderful shields skins that look awesome on the back.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

It'd probably have to be the backpiece. Otherwise your backpiece would clip through it. The racing scarf leaves the area between your shoulder blades free to avoid that.

Of course, that raises the issues of what would happen when you stow your shield or two handed weapon? Mind you shields and weapons float over your back anyway, so maybe that's not a problem.

Here's a Dev response on capes (the forums search function is a wonderful thing - I wish more people would use it):

@MatthewMedina.5419 said: "Capes work in Guild Wars 1 because we only had human characters and our armor "footprints" were pretty standardized. As such, their absence in GW2 was an unfortunate casualty of moving to a MUCH more complicated composite system, and our increasing character art standards. Capes are tricky even when you have finite sets of armor to work off of, but when you go and build a system designed to be highly expandable, making sure capes work with all those possibilities without clipping across the ten different race/gender combinations, well it just became a WAY bigger deal."

Very.
    Casual.

• Nury.3062Nury.3062 Member ✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:
    Here's a Dev response on capes (the forums search function is a wonderful thing - I wish more people would use it):

@MatthewMedina.5419 said: "Capes work in Guild Wars 1 because we only had human characters and our armor "footprints" were pretty standardized. As such, their absence in GW2 was an unfortunate casualty of moving to a MUCH more complicated composite system, and our increasing character art standards. Capes are tricky even when you have finite sets of armor to work off of, but when you go and build a system designed to be highly expandable, making sure capes work with all those possibilities without clipping across the ten different race/gender combinations, well it just became a WAY bigger deal."

Many things were not possible in the past for Anet but they constantly develop and implement new things in the engine ,mounts were not possible,gliders where not possible,sitting on a chair was not possible,if there is someone who can make it possible is someone from ANET.

• @kharmin.7683 said:
    Check the forums search function as this topic has been brought up several times.

It sure has! I note that a helpful member, @lokh.2695 , created a list of the many times that this topic has been raised. We've merged a few of those cited threads into this one, a sort of "One (Cape) Thread to Rule Them All." :dizzy:

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• merging into new thread

• merging into main thread

• Jake Orion.2049Jake Orion.2049 Member ✭✭
    edited December 12, 2018

Off topic but while reading this why am I thinking Gaile Gray as Edna from the film The Incredibles explaining why capes are bad, showing a number of heroes that met their demise because of it? LoL

@Nury.3062 said:
    Many things were not possible in the past for Anet but they constantly develop and implement new things in the engine ,mounts were not possible,gliders where not possible,sitting on a chair was not possible,if there is someone who can make it possible is someone from ANET.

I don't recall Anet saying that those things were not possible. Can you provide citations?

Very.
    Casual.

• @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

A player said
    We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 replied:
    Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

I think the OP is saying that we have that banner in and can we have the same item, but with a guild emblem instead. Which seems reasonable to me

It 'seems' reasonable, but the tech is apparently different. (My guess is that banners are simpler because they don't touch the character or armor.) I don't have the quote handy, so I'll see if I can find it later.

As I posted afterward, I think if people want more banners, they can do that.

But the newest scarf in the game acts very cape like. I presume they could apply that kind of thing to a cape.

Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

• @hellsqueen.3045 said:
    But the newest scarf in the game acts very cape like. I presume they could apply that kind of thing to a cape.

It's entirely possible they diverted resources to update the tech.

Changes in the last two months have included other populist changes:

• Major overhaul to runes|sigils, including ability to salvage & craft
    • Official beetle adventures|racetracks
    • Updates to the original two festivals, including new skins, new activities, and some (suggested|requested) updates to the existing activities.
    • Balance changes to enable other classes to shine in support.

Obviously, some people aren't happy about all aspects of implementation. The point is: these are things for which folks have been asking for ages, so maybe ANet has figured out a way to address more such things... and perhaps capes might be one of the next ones. Or another possibility is that scarfs are going to be what we get instead of capes.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Dantert.1803Dantert.1803 Member ✭✭✭

The racing scarf shows that we can get capes and have them cool and flowy, so please, can we get them??

Please use the forums search feature.

Please merge with this existing thread

Very.
    Casual.

• Menzo.2185Menzo.2185 Member ✭✭✭

Is possible to bring cloak/cape to the game as back item? Is it viable or will cost too many devs?

• It's "on the table". :)

Do a forum search for the many many many other threads that have been done on this topic.

Very.
    Casual.

• Vancho.8750Vancho.8750 Member ✭✭✭

Racer scarf and the amnoon story back peaces for now.

• or at least have our guild emblems on our butt-capes

• I get it . Your trying to say gw1 was better . Nailed it !

• Aodlop.1907Aodlop.1907 Member ✭✭✭

It would clip hard. I think the best way to implement cloaks is to have them on the back of a chest piece designed for that purpose.

• I believe it is! IN the form of a butt cloak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edited January 23, 2019

Merging threads. Please use the search engine.

• Was told to use the search function, and now I'm here! Putting my vote in for capes!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.