Do raids need easy/normal/hard difficulty mode? [merged]

Lonami.2987

@Tyson.5160 said:

@Vinceman.4572 said:And that's the reason why most of the raiders have nothing against an easy mode if the rewards are very well balanced.Actually, the ones that do speak up about it usually want the rewards to be
below
the incentive level. The term "few greens at best" has been used more than once. "no rewards" was used even more often. I do not remember even a single raider that actually wanted decent rewards for the mode. I do remember however people saying that easy mode would not deserve such.

What you describe is the disparity between both sides. Since I've read enough raiders here in this thread that are open-minded to liquid gold reward of 50s, rares and exotics and some also mentioned minis + shards in addition it's the anti-raid fraction that feels this is not enough. So, where to draw the line? If you give easy mode people access to legendary armor & ring people wouldn't run normal mode in the slightest. I'm sorry here but that's why a reasonable approach has to deny that.

Personally I think it's enough if people get champ bags + some shards + a possibility for minis. Just compare it to other "casual" stuff, the rewards aren't better there so no easy mode raider should be entitled to demand something completely out of rationality. The actual example with the Lair of the Snowmen clearly shows it: You have a guarantee for wintersday gifts plus a
chance
for an exotic weapon but you can also get a rare (2 rares out of 3 daily runs for me).

So in comparison, my approach is pretty generous but I tell you this won't be enough for the "loot army" which will appear in 3...2...1...

You can also get a mini from the Lair.

I think if the easy mode gave a cap in 75 shards half of what normal mode that in my opinion is good incentive to run the content if you want something like minis or maybe exotics of the current skins. If you want more shards in the week you would have to jump to normal.

I agree though, keep the Legendary stuff to normal mode.

That's why I included minis in my post. (And it's just reasonable since minis are also thrown out like crazy/easy to get in normal mode).And no, 75 shards per week is too much. 15-25 would be fine and just fair.

15 to 25 shards would mean you could buy something like an ascended Armor chest in like 4 months. That carrot would be too far and no one would do it.

Easy mode raids are meant for practice last time I checked, at least that's what people here are officially putting up as argument. There is no point in offering raid rewards (even skins) via easy mode raids AND regular raids.

I'm not opposed to having easy mode raids give some reward like gold, rares or exotics. But if people honestly believe that regular raid rewards are the way to go for easy mode raids, sorry but then we can scrap raids all together. There is a significant amount of easy normal raid bosses which allow for magnetite shards to be gained, there is no reason to offer those in an easy mode raid (which I still think is absolutely unnecessary for practice purposes).

But that's how we move isn't it? First we start with arguing that easy mode raids are needed for practice and need no rewards since eventually people will start raiding.

Then suddenly easy mode raids need reward incentives so people actually play them.

Then we put in raid rewards into easy mode raids, but at a fraction and reduced amount.

Finally we increase the easy mode raid rewards since the fraction of raid rewards was to low.

This entire line of argument is just off and I will not support such nonsense.

The reward structure is fairly obvious. First, yes (1000X yes), they should be significantly lower than regular raid rewards.

The reward should be similar to a world boss in terms of possible gear drops (so blues and greens, with a small chance at an exotic and an extremely miniscule chance at a vanilla ascended). Additionally, there should be a minimum number of magnetite shards rewarded - probably about 1/4 what a raid encounter drops now. The caveat is - no unique raid skins (including weapons, minis, the portal device, even titles) should drop at easier modes and they should remain locked on the vendor until the associative encounter is beaten in regular mode (so no way whatsoever to get the Gorseval staff without beating the current iteration of Gorseval).

What this does is offer a minimal reward - and give people looking to get into raids a secondary guaranteed (albeit glacially slow) path to earning vanilla ascended gear (again, no unique skins). This would serve to offer both a lower difficulty level and support higher levels of raiding by letting players who absolutely hate crafting gradually (crazy slow) build an ascended raiding set. Finally, it would retain the integrity and prestige of higher tier raiding by ensuring the skins/titles/minis (yes, even minis) are only earnable through the hard mode.

@Blaeys.3102 said:The reward structure is fairly obvious. First, yes (1000X yes), they should be significantly lower than regular raid rewards.

The reward should be similar to a world boss in terms of possible gear drops (so blues and greens, with a small chance at an exotic and an extremely miniscule chance at a vanilla ascended).

World bosses are gated by timers. This caps their rewards as repeatable content.World bosses also tend to award at least a cheap rare. Even Fire Elemental gives at least a rare.If I am not mistaken the only world bosses with Ascended weapons in the drop table are Tequatl and Triple Trouble, both of which take a considerably bigger investment of time and energy than Lair of the Snowmen.

Lair of the Snowmen is completed in around ten mins.If all Raids offered the level of reward you are proposing and could be done one after another (5 in an hour) and add raid currency to that you're looking at a purposefully easy content that is far too rewarding.

@Blaeys.3102 said:The reward structure is fairly obvious. First, yes (1000X yes), they should be significantly lower than regular raid rewards.

The reward should be similar to a world boss in terms of possible gear drops (so blues and greens, with a small chance at an exotic and an extremely miniscule chance at a vanilla ascended). Additionally, there should be a minimum number of magnetite shards rewarded - probably about 1/4 what a raid encounter drops now. The caveat is - no unique raid skins (including weapons, minis, the portal device, even titles) should drop at easier modes and they should remain locked on the vendor until the associative encounter is beaten in regular mode (so no way whatsoever to get the Gorseval staff without beating the current iteration of Gorseval).

What this does is offer a minimal reward - and give people looking to get into raids a secondary guaranteed (albeit glacially slow) path to earning vanilla ascended gear (again, no unique skins). This would serve to offer both a lower difficulty level and support higher levels of raiding by letting players who absolutely hate crafting gradually (crazy slow) build an ascended raiding set. Finally, it would retain the integrity and prestige of higher tier raiding by ensuring the skins/titles/minis (yes, even minis) are only earnable through the hard mode.

I agree most of this except the minis part, the problem with crazy low shards for ascended equipment is your better off crafting or doing something else. Unfortunately to make easy mode worth the development time you need rewards that will bring people into the mode and repeat the mode. Something I’m finding with the Lair is I find the encounter fun, but eventually it will lose the fun factor and I’m now looking at the drops.

Now the big carrot, Legendary Armor should always be locked behind normal, but some of this stuff like ascended chests and minis should be allowed for an easy mode. Sure keep the unique skins to normal too why not.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Vinceman.4572 said:And that's the reason why most of the raiders have nothing against an easy mode if the rewards are very well balanced.Actually, the ones that do speak up about it usually want the rewards to be
below
the incentive level. The term "few greens at best" has been used more than once. "no rewards" was used even more often. I do not remember even a single raider that actually wanted decent rewards for the mode. I do remember however people saying that easy mode would not deserve such.

What you describe is the disparity between both sides. Since I've read enough raiders here in this thread that are open-minded to liquid gold reward of 50s, rares and exotics and some also mentioned minis + shards in addition it's the anti-raid fraction that feels this is not enough. So, where to draw the line? If you give easy mode people access to legendary armor & ring people wouldn't run normal mode in the slightest. I'm sorry here but that's why a reasonable approach has to deny that.

Personally I think it's enough if people get champ bags + some shards + a possibility for minis. Just compare it to other "casual" stuff, the rewards aren't better there so no easy mode raider should be entitled to demand something completely out of rationality. The actual example with the Lair of the Snowmen clearly shows it: You have a guarantee for wintersday gifts plus a
chance
for an exotic weapon but you can also get a rare (2 rares out of 3 daily runs for me).

So in comparison, my approach is pretty generous but I tell you this won't be enough for the "loot army" which will appear in 3...2...1...

I think if the easy mode gave a cap in 75 shards half of what normal mode that in my opinion is good incentive to run the content if you want something like minis or maybe exotics of the current skins. If you want more shards in the week you would have to jump to normal.

That's why I included minis in my post. (And it's just reasonable since minis are also thrown out like crazy/easy to get in normal mode).And no, 75 shards per week is too much. 15-25 would be fine and just fair.

15 to 25 shards would mean you could buy something like an ascended Armor chest in like 4 months. That carrot would be too far and no one would do it.

Easy mode raids are meant for practice last time I checked, at least that's what people here are officially putting up as argument. There is no point in offering raid rewards (even skins) via easy mode raids AND regular raids.

I'm not opposed to having easy mode raids give some reward like gold, rares or exotics. But if people honestly believe that regular raid rewards are the way to go for easy mode raids, sorry but then we can scrap raids all together. There is a significant amount of easy normal raid bosses which allow for magnetite shards to be gained, there is no reason to offer those in an easy mode raid (which I still think is absolutely unnecessary for practice purposes).

But that's how we move isn't it? First we start with arguing that easy mode raids are needed for practice and need no rewards since eventually people will start raiding.

Then suddenly easy mode raids need reward incentives so people actually play them.

Then we put in raid rewards into easy mode raids, but at a fraction and reduced amount.

Finally we increase the easy mode raid rewards since the fraction of raid rewards was to low.

Here is the thing. An easy mode with no rewards will not get played, not on a repeat fashion anyways. Unfortunately if Anet ever developed this they would need something that would require people to come back into the raid each week on easy mode. Normal Mode already has this with the Armor and unique drops.

@Tyson.5160 said:

below

chance

Here is the thing. An easy mode with no rewards will not get played, not on a repeat fashion anyways. Unfortunately if Anet ever developed this they would need something that would require people to come back into the raid each week on easy mode. Normal Mode already has this with the Armor and unique drops.

Oh I agree, I doubt any content will be of longevity without rewards in most any MMO.

I simply portrayed how the discussion developed and how the bar keeps getting moved. I also believe the bar will keep moving even if easy mode raids get added, but that's a different issue. Again, I personally do not believe easy mode raids to be required neither for the story, nor for practice.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

below

chance

Oh I agree, I doubt any content will be of longevity without rewards in most any MMO.

I simply portrayed how the discussion developed and how the bar keeps getting moved. I also believe the bar will keep moving even if easy mode raids get added, but that's a different issue. Again, I personally do not believe easy mode raids to be required neither for the story, nor for practice.

Legendary Armor and unique raid skins is where I would personally draw the line. Minis and Armor chests that you can get in easier ways is where I would be ok with in terms of rewards.

@Tyson.5160 said:

below

chance

Don't forget you can trade in you minis for more shards.

True, I forgot about that actually.

You can also salvage raid weapon and armor drops if you don't want that particular item for even more shards.

As maddoctor posted in another thread:The winterday raid has a whooping 10.8% completion rate right now while Desmina in Hall of Chains got killed by 9.5% of the accounts there.

Easy modes won't be played unless you also add an matchmaking to it. The vast majority will not play any group content where they have to find a group by themselves.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

As maddoctor posted in another thread:The winterday raid has a whooping 10.8% completion rate right now while Desmina in Hall of Chains got killed by 9.5% of the accounts there.Exactly. Wintersday raid has a higher completion time shortly after it was released, than Desmina in over a year. If it remained a permanent content, it would reach much higher completion rates.

Although probably there wouldn't be all that many players repeating it, because in the end rewards are just too low for it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

As maddoctor posted in another thread:The winterday raid has a whooping 10.8% completion rate right now while Desmina in Hall of Chains got killed by 9.5% of the accounts there.Exactly. Wintersday raid has a higher completion time shortly after it was released, than Desmina in over a year. If it remained a permanent content, it would reach much higher completion rates.

Although probably there wouldn't be all that many players
repeating
it, because in the end rewards are just too low for it.

Desmina has been available for over a year but we still don't know what the end reward looks like. Personally I haven't done W5/W6 runs yet because there is no rush. Meanwhile, Freezie is all about rushing because it's temporary content. If they made it permanent it wouldn't reach much higher completion rates, in fact it reached the current rates BECAUSE it is temporary. Now the question is if 1% is worth developing a new game mode for.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Desmina has been available for over a year but we still don't know what the end reward looks like. Personally I haven't done W5/W6 runs yet because there is no rush. Meanwhile, Freezie is all about rushing because it's temporary content. If they made it permanent it wouldn't reach much higher completion rates, in fact it reached the current rates BECAUSE it is temporary.Yeah, suuure.Now the question is if 1% is worth developing a new game mode for.If that 10% for Freezie includes all the players that have done Desmina earlier, then probably not. Haven't seen all that many veteran raiders running it so far, though, so probably the overlap is much smaller.

On the other hand... was Dhuum CM worth developing? Especially since those 1.8% definitely were the same players that've done dhuum normal mode earlier, and considering it was planned as one time achi, not a repeatable activity.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Haven't seen all that many veteran raiders running it so far, though, so probably the overlap is much smaller.

I don't know about everyone but in my raid groups everyone run it.

On the other hand... was Dhuum CM worth developing? Especially since those 1.8% definitely were the same players that've done dhuum normal mode earlier, and considering it was planned as one time achi, not a repeatable activity.

I agree, as long as it is one-time only CMs aren't really worth developing, which is probably why they are looking for ways to make them repeatable. Maybe in 2019

As far as tangible loot rewards go, I would say that before legendary insights were as common as they are now (15 spread out over 4 wings), the main reason keeping players coming back was trying to get enough to form a set of legendary armor. I have personally witnessed lots of players who stopped raiding once they got envoy's herald title or one weight class of legendary armor. The legendary insight time-gate was the only thing that kept them raiding. Only the ones who were truly into raiding and self-improvement continue to do it every week after that.

Why not use this to incentivise easy mode raids? Give them a 'Legendary Insight fragment' per boss clear per week, that merges 5 fragments to give an actual Legendary insight(3 LI if they full clear easy mode wing 1 to 4). The resources required to make the armor would then take a legendary amount of time to get just like the WvW version at the very least.

They will then either:repeat easy mode raids for 50 weeks at the least to get the required resourcesorget bored of the harsh time-gate and start doing normal mode raidsorquit the game mode on their own terms

I am on the fence on whether they should be able to get parts of the envoy collection done from easy mode raids though; I don't really place too much prestige on owning the armor itself and many (not all) of the collection items are one-off stuff that they can get just from buying raids but I understand some people are pretty adamant about locking the armor behind 'competency'.

@"Clyan.1593" said:In general I think there should be a super easy mode, meaning you take very little dmg, but everything else is the same. You get NO reward for it, except, you can learn the mechanics.

While your suggestion is appreciated, and please don't get me wrong, this suggestion has been made before and has been shot down before.

There are a lot of insta kill mechanics in raids as it is, you cannot balance around those simply by "reducing damage". I mean how does one reduce something that kills you instantly regardless?

Also, if the damage thresh hold is too low then why bother avoiding mechanics anyway? I mean if the green on VG only does 10% health damage instead of the current 70% (or somewhere around that number) then why ever bother going for the green circle? Might not be the best example since even with 70% damage it gets out healed anyway, but i hope you get the point i'm trying to make.

See simply reducing damage in order to force people to learn mechanics is a bad suggestion in and of itself since it promotes nothing but lazy game play. Imagine someone coming from super easy mode to normal mode and then suddenly finding out he actually has to run around Sabatha's flame wall since he can no longer face tank it? Or finding out that the green @ vg actually does quite a bit of hefty damage?

Or what about Slothasor's poison? I mean if you get super low damage anyway then you might just as well drop it on top of the group if it doesn't really matter, right? Oh how i imagine people would react if someone from super easy mode comes into normal mode slothasor and just drops the poison smack dab on the group because hey: "uuh, that's what we always do in super easy mode". Sounds a bit silly, but guaranteed that this is going to happen.

And as a final small example, how does one reduce damage on Dhuum's soul split when you need to do a green circle? If you don't grab enough orbs that's game over, at least that's how it currently works. How would one go about fixing that kind of mechanic for an easier setting? You either can't, or you need to remove it all together but then the point of having people learn mechanics on lower difficulties has failed.

@Digit.1823 said:

@"Clyan.1593" said:In general I think there should be a super easy mode, meaning you take very little dmg, but everything else is the same. You get NO reward for it, except, you can learn the mechanics.

While your suggestion is appreciated, and please don't get me wrong, this suggestion has been made before and has been shot down before.

There are a lot of insta kill mechanics in raids as it is, you cannot balance around those simply by "reducing damage". I mean how does one reduce something that kills you instantly regardless?

Also, if the damage thresh hold is too low then why bother avoiding mechanics anyway? I mean if the green on VG only does 10% health damage instead of the current 70% (or somewhere around that number) then why ever bother going for the green circle? Might not be the best example since even with 70% damage it gets out healed anyway, but i hope you get the point i'm trying to make.

See simply reducing damage in order to force people to learn mechanics is a bad suggestion in and of itself since it promotes nothing but lazy game play. Imagine someone coming from super easy mode to normal mode and then suddenly finding out he actually has to run around Sabatha's flame wall since he can no longer face tank it? Or finding out that the green @ vg actually does quite a bit of hefty damage?

Or what about Slothasor's poison? I mean if you get super low damage anyway then you might just as well drop it on top of the group if it doesn't really matter, right? Oh how i imagine people would react if someone from super easy mode comes into normal mode slothasor and just drops the poison smack dab on the group because hey: "uuh, that's what we always do in super easy mode". Sounds a bit silly, but guaranteed that this is going to happen.

And as a final small example, how does one reduce damage on Dhuum's soul split when you need to do a green circle? If you don't grab enough orbs that's game over, at least that's how it currently works. How would one go about fixing that kind of mechanic for an easier setting? You either can't, or you need to remove it all together but then the point of having people learn mechanics on lower difficulties has failed.

Unfortunately you have the festival raid with Freezie. The mechanic are not instant death, however they are punishing if you stand in them. This festival raid in my opinion is a very strong reason why an easy mode raid would work. I had pugged this bad boy since the start of the festival with very few problems. When problems occurred we made adjustments and then succeeded.

Gw2 efficiency may not be the best way to measure the success of this either, since this is a festival, which is generally very popular content to begin with, allowing free to play accounts and other accounts not attached to efficiency to hop and try the content.

@Tyson.5160 said:

Unfortunately you have the festival raid with Freezie. The mechanic are not instant death, however they are punishing if you stand in them. This festival raid in my opinion is a very strong reason why an easy mode raid would work. I had pugged this bad boy since the start of the festival with very few problems. When problems occurred we made adjustments and then succeeded.

Gw2 efficiency may not be the best way to measure the success of this either, since this is a festival, which is generally very popular content to begin with, allowing free to play accounts and other accounts not attached to efficiency to hop and try the content.

Yeah cool, but Freezie's mechanics were not made with insta death in mind anyway so ...eh....

Also i would argue that you should be careful with the "in my experience" argument, because (hurr durr) in my experience pugging Freezie is absolute hell if i am not on a support/healing profession. Both our viewpoints are equally valid. The pug groups i had people are still oblivious to mechanics, like letting the snowball stack on top of the team without running away, standing in the blue frozen lines, eating the kamehamefreeze wave. (On EU btw, dunno if that matters)

Funnily enough, the point actually is because me being on support/healer is the fact you're able to carry so ridiculously hard anyway is why we get the kill regardless of the absolute trash players in the squad. Hell maybe even the fact that being able to carry so hard is what makes people lazy, because hey i can just ignore mechanics anyway.

I dunno...seems like i would appreciate having your experience instead of my current one.

@Digit.1823 said:

Yeah cool, but Freezie's mechanics were not made with insta death in mind anyway so ...eh....

Also i would argue that you should be careful with the "in my experience" argument, because (hurr durr) in my experience pugging Freezie is absolute hell if i am not on a support/healing profession. Both our viewpoints are equally valid. The pug groups i had people are still oblivious to mechanics, like letting the snowball stack on top of the team without running away, standing in the blue frozen lines, eating the kamehamefreeze wave. (On EU btw, dunno if that matters)

Funnily enough, the point actually is because me being on support/healer is the fact you're able to carry so ridiculously hard anyway is why we get the kill regardless of the absolute trash players in the squad. Hell maybe even the fact that being able to carry so hard is what makes people lazy, because hey i can just ignore mechanics anyway.

I dunno...seems like i would appreciate having your experience instead of my current one.

Same thing on EU. I pugged it every day till now (sometimes together with a friend) and most of the time I'm on my druid to prevent wipes because it turned out what you described perfectly in your post. It's funny to see a snowball ticking with a loud noise on one single spot (= the player) and also the white lines when they rapidly taking away players health while he is not moving at all. 4 out of 5 players go down too if they are chased by the wall. I even had druids in the squad with no clue at all about their profession a.k.a not using celestial avatar for a millisecond and I wouldn't even mind their gear.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

Same thing on EU. I pugged it every day till now (sometimes together with a friend) and most of the time I'm on my druid to prevent wipes because it turned out what you described perfectly in your post. It's funny to see a snowball ticking with a loud noise on one single spot (= the player) and also the white lines when they rapidly taking away players health while he is not moving at all. 4 out of 5 players go down too if they are chased by the wall. I even had druids in the squad with no clue at all about their profession a.k.a not using celestial avatar for a millisecond and I wouldn't even mind their gear.

I experienced this my first two times on NA, however after that people seemed to understand. I do have commanders that would meticulously explain the entire fight and call mechanics as they happened. I only played DPS during this encounter as well and had both Druid and scourge act as support.

@Digit.1823 said:

Of course one shot mechanics should stay, as for how they function I'd consider them to be more mechanical than just a simple dmg output.

I don't think you can't balance it. For Sloth just reduce the green poison dmg but keep the dmg from the poison you drop the same. Yes you can balance it, the idea that this isn't possible derives from the radical stance against the idea of an easy mode. For Dhuum it's the same. Just reduce the dmg on things that are not mechanical. Failing in collecting enough orbs will still be game over. And so on.

Personally I feel like you don't even try to wrap your head around it. Claiming the bosses can't be balanced in any other way as they are right now is just silly.

@Clyan.1593 said:

@Clyan.1593 said:In general I think there should be a super easy mode, meaning you take very little dmg, but everything else is the same. You get NO reward for it, except, you can learn the mechanics.

Of course one shot mechanics should stay, as for how they function I'd consider them to be more mechanical than just a simple dmg output.

I don't think you can't balance it. For Sloth just reduce the green poison dmg but keep the dmg from the poison you drop the same. Yes you can balance it, the idea that this isn't possible derives from the radical stance against the idea of an easy mode. For Dhuum it's the same. Just reduce the dmg on things that are not mechanical. Failing in collecting enough orbs will still be game over. And so on.

Personally I feel like you don't even try to wrap your head around it. Claiming the bosses can't be balanced in any other way as they are right now is just silly.

It's not about the possibility of a satisfying balancing it's about the amount of work they'd have to invest to get this done properly. Here is the thing, the actual release cycles for raids and fractals are still too long and also bugfixes need too much time. I mean they can't even release living stories within the mentioned 2-3 months. Overall the investment is not worth at all while we have bosses like MO, Escort, Samarog, Cairn and some others that aren't really "hard".

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@Clyan.1593 said:In general I think there should be a super easy mode, meaning you take very little dmg, but everything else is the same. You get NO reward for it, except, you can learn the mechanics.

It's not about the possibility of a satisfying balancing it's about the amount of work they'd have to invest to get this done properly. Here is the thing, the actual release cycles for raids and fractals are still too long and also bugfixes need too much time. I mean they can't even release living stories within the mentioned 2-3 months. Overall the investment is not worth at all while we have bosses like MO, Escort, Samarog, Cairn and some others that aren't really "hard".

Yaya, now the time schedule is the problem. People like you just trigger me. If you don't like the idea of an easy mode then just say it. Don't try to make up new arguments just so you can stay on course.The developers' don't have enough time blablabla. Fact is if the majority of the community wants something they will get it. They want the money, we want the content. It's just that easy. That's how it has been ever since money was invented. Some of you might think differently since developers have integrity too, but this is not about interfering with lore or visual design, it's purely technical.And yes, not every boss needs an easy mode, I agree, that still doesn't mean there can be for other bosses.

@Clyan.1593 said:

Yaya, now the time schedule is the problem. People like you just trigger me. If you don't like the idea of an easy mode then just say it. Don't try to make up new arguments just so you can stay on course.The developers' don't have enough time blablabla. Fact is if the majority of the community wants something they will get it. They want the money, we want the content. It's just that easy. That's how it has been ever since money was invented. Some of you might think differently since developers have integrity too, but this is not about interfering with lore or visual design, it's purely technical.And yes, not every boss needs an easy mode, I agree, that still doesn't mean there can be for other bosses.

You do realise somebody can give multiple arguments right.

And if you look at everything people are asking for easy mode then you should realise that perfect version is impossible.

Fact is if an addition is valued for the game or the devs just really wanna do it then the devs will add it, not if the mayority wants it. (BTW how high do you think the reception for easy mode will be)