VPN and guild wars 2

LaFurion.3167

Hello. I play from New Zealand, and my average ping is usually 240 to 270.

I see a lot of VPN usage in games that I play; it seems to be a new fad currently. Particularly from OCE players in Pubg, and WoW.

Can I use VPN for guild wars 2, 1)without being at risk of ban or punishment from a net, and 2) to effectively reduce my latency? VPN costs a few dollars a month which I wouldn't mind paying as long as it shaves off a chunk of ping.

I play on Sea of Sorrows server.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, particularly from fellow OCE players who have experimented with this. As stated above my 2 concerns are effectiveness of the VPN, and potentially being banned or something.

Thanks in advance.

I should also mention that pve is whatever; but when I go into wvw I might want to toggle on the VPN etc.

How would the different server match ups affect my latency, if at all? Hmm....

All of you guys and girls have no idea how lucky you are to play on under 70ms for ANY game you choose XD... it's an oceanic gamers wet dream...

Ah well. Back to VPN discussion ._.

Okay so just got home and tried using mudfish with it. The server on Mudfish is called "Guild wars 1 and 2".

I couldnt log on! When I entered my password and details it wouldnt let me log on, and interestingly enough it wouldnt let me log in to the forums either.

I am on the hunt now for a different VPN; if there is anybody who currently uses a VPN for guild wars 2, preferably from OCE, could you please let me know? :) Would be greatly appreciated!

A VPN is NOT a solution to your problem, unless the concentrator is located closer in route between yourself and Arenanet. You need to examine how your connection performs under a traceroute, even better during an MTR session (active traceroute), and check to make sure that either 1) the number of hops is less with the VPN, or 2) that packets take a shorter amount of time to travel through the network than it does using your normal route. If you want to go the VPN route buy a month of it and test out what I said, if I can remember nordvpn is an excellent candidate for 5 dollars a month or something.

Another thing you can try is testing the connection on your end and run a speed test. On average you should confirm that you are getting the same speed you're getting on your modem to the same speed that your adapter is getting, you can ask your parents what your plan is if you're a kid or just confirm with your isp if you're an adult. Note that a solid connection with guild wars on average takes 30Mbps. A VPN works a little like the way a proxy does, it pushes your traffic somewhere off a distant part like India masking packet info along the way before it even hits the United States so it may retard your connection instead of making it better.

Lastly developer can mean different things in modern times. A dev can be a programmer (who may not know much about anything networking nor has possibly ever even touched a router), to even a person who's never seen code at all. Trust me I'm a network engineer and get paid around 75 grand a year to take care of things like this. Your problem may not even be solved for a while because a cargo ship may have accidentally cut the underwater cable that connects the European Union to the United States using its anchor(which has happened before), in which case your route is just taking a longer path.

I can't comment on using a VPN to improve your ping, but I can tell you that the different server matchups won't matter because all the servers in a region are in the same location and I think they actually have a wired connection between them. The NA servers are in the USA (Texas if I remember correctly) and the EU servers are in Germany. So you don't need to worry about your server connecting to another one, just your connection to the server.

vpn? improving latency?

well my wifi is slightly slower than wired direct connection. 1 hop should be faster than 2 hops (traceroute). lel.

this is akin to layering GW2-64.exe and playing it in a non-Windows OS and effin claiming "iz good, bruv."

VPN is for spoofing ips so you can get in on a gateway with a set of allowed ip addresses based on location. that's about it.

I am not sure every player reads every single post in forums. If you want to search for fellow Oce players and ask for their experiences when it comes to connection, you may want to make a post in Players helping players subforum specifically asking for Oce players in the topic title :) And perhaps link them to this forum post.

I can't believe we wouldn't have any Oce players playing Guild wars 1/2 :)

I'm curious from a technical perspective how can a VPN improve latency? When I think of a VPN, I think of my endpoint device and the VPN server setting up an encrypted connection, and all packets get encrypted/decrypted on both ends of that tunnel. Then the traffic goes from the VPN server to the final destination, which in this case is the GW2 server. Even if the network path was about the same, that added encrypt/decrypt has got to be adding some overhead, and your physical connection out of your house is still being used and leveraging a VPN doesn't help with that unless your ISP is willing to apply some kind of quality of service prioritization to those packets.

VPNs only help if your ISP doesnt use an optimum route to the US, and some dont as they can buy cable capacity cheaper if they go via Singapore which adds more hops to the route.Latency is a function of the total distance and the number of routers between you and the target destination.But nevertheless, you wont get much improvement.

@"mauried.5608" said:VPNs only help if your ISP doesnt use an optimum route to the US, and some dont as they can buy cable capacity cheaper if they go via Singapore which adds more hops to the route.Latency is a function of the total distance and the number of routers between you and the target destination.But nevertheless, you wont get much improvement.

It really depends on the player, their ISP, and their VPN. Some people see lower ping after using VPN. Some see more consistent ping. And some don't.

I couldnt log on! When I entered my password and details it wouldnt let me log on, and interestingly enough it wouldnt let me log in to the forums either.It's possible you have to authorize the new networks. In effect, you'll be appearing to ANet servers as if from a different IP address and you might need to confirm that it's you.

You can do this from the account page:http://account.arena.net/

I'm in gold coast qld Australia, playing in EU server since beta. My ping is 400 to 600. Mostly 400. Moved to NA for a week in the first week of raid w4 released and w5. That one week I get to play with 300ping it was a lot lighter. More forgiving with dodge and jumps less latency issue. We moved back to EU once we got what we need done for raid achievements. Tried VPN, it didn't improve much plus it was a trial program and have to pay after so we couldn't be bothered. We are OK with 400 ping average. A little cripple but we get everything we need done.

a theoretical way that vpn can improve latency is like when your vpn uses like crazy korean fiber optic speeds route to the destination, from your slow as turtle internet speed. like say if your internet speed is only 5 mbps and your vpn towards the endpoint is like 1k mbps, cut your connection in half (or even lesser) and boost that with the vpn speed. (the formula is even exponential). so yea. you can even round that off and your isp is cancelled out. it is like your vpn is now your isp.

and yea, even if that's the case, the vpn will charge you MORE (probably wayyyyyyy more than your internet subscription) coz they are using ultra high bandwidth just to boost your slow-@ss internet. it's impractical, but possible.

the only way that this could be realized is that if communism wins.

@LaFurion.3167 said:Hello. I play from New Zealand, and my average ping is usually 240 to 270.

I see a lot of VPN usage in games that I play; it seems to be a new fad currently. Particularly from OCE players in Pubg, and WoW.

Can I use VPN for guild wars 2, 1)without being at risk of ban or punishment from a net, and 2) to effectively reduce my latency? VPN costs a few dollars a month which I wouldn't mind paying as long as it shaves off a chunk of ping.

I play on Sea of Sorrows server.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, particularly from fellow OCE players who have experimented with this. As stated above my 2 concerns are effectiveness of the VPN, and potentially being banned or something.

Thanks in advance.

1) No company is ever going to punish anyone for using a VPN. That said, some countries like the UAE punish/disallow these but that's only if you actually are living/staying in the UAE and even then I do it quite often whenever I am there and have never been hunted down.2) VPNs reducing latency to GW2 is entirely up to the VPN you choose, and possibly the routing you set it (e.g. some VPNs like PIA allow you to select which endpoint your traffic will exit on), so while you may now have better latency to American servers which are AWS instances located in Virginia, you could suffer additional lag elsewhere to more local destinations (e.g. rather than using a google.com that's near NZ, you would be using a google.com that's near the endpoint of your VPN, thus now you not only get the USA version of google but you have additional latency to using google as well).