Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

@Shui.9748 said:This seems to be the 'megathread' on this particular issue so I'll just throw myself in as another player affected by these annoying story disconnects.

I'm wondering, what ISP is everyone using? I've had a similar problem in other games as well, and many of those also affected were with Virgin Media. So far it looks like at least a handful of people in this thread are with them also.

Mobile broadband, Three

I don't think its specifically down to the ISP.. but I do think hiccups in the network play a part..as openworld handles hiccups ok, but story instances seem not to. (at least in my experience)

So i bought the Path of Fire expansion a few days ago and everytime i get to the end of the 'Crystaline Memories' Instance in 'Glint's Lair' i get error code disconnected, it happens at the exact same time every single time. I see that since release this is still a problem and its extremely disappointing.

So thus far i am unable to play through the a story that you charged me 30 quid for... with technology these days and the amount of money that people put towards this game, why on earth is there no checkpoint or progress save so we dont have to redo the entire bloody instance over again.

@ShadeUK.7632 said:So i bought the Path of Fire expansion a few days ago and everytime i get to the end of the 'Crystaline Memories' Instance in 'Glint's Lair' i get error code disconnected, it happens at the exact same time every single time. I see that since release this is still a problem and its extremely disappointing.

So thus far i am unable to play through the a story that you charged me 30 quid for... with technology these days and the amount of money that people put towards this game, why on earth is there no checkpoint or progress save so we dont have to redo the entire bloody instance over again.

Have you tried the various fixes? Like a, proxy or playing in windowed mode?

Also 30 quid was for the mounts too..which you can get 4 of them without the story.

The 4 mounts are worth 30 quid on their own. I played this game for 6-7 months without touching story because of dc's but windowed mode and attacking constantly seems to have solved them for me.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@ShadeUK.7632 said:So i bought the Path of Fire expansion a few days ago and everytime i get to the end of the 'Crystaline Memories' Instance in 'Glint's Lair' i get error code disconnected, it happens at the exact same time every single time. I see that since release this is still a problem and its extremely disappointing.

Have you tried the various fixes? Like a, proxy or playing in windowed mode?

Also 30 quid was for the mounts too..which you can get 4 of them without the story.

The 4 mounts are worth 30 quid on their own. I played this game for 6-7 months without touching story because of dc's but windowed mode and attacking constantly seems to have solved them for me.

I just tried it in borderless windows mode and it had no problem, i dont know if thats conincidence because it seems like a major issue for a number of people throughout the game in this thread. Thanks for the suggestion.

For anyone with Virgin Media, after reading around on their forums I found a potential fix for the disconnects that has actually worked for me, at least so far. After switching my Superhub 2ac to Modem Mode, I was able to do four story instances without any connection problems. Normally I would have to be constantly moving + autoattacking to avoid being disconnected, but since trying this I was able to stand idle and even watch cutscenes without any issues. Just bear in mind that while in Modem Mode you won't have access to Wi-Fi unless you connect a standalone router. Fingers crossed this holds up. :)

well I've got that nice idea to complete storyline on my sylvari created post pof - the DC after any cutscene (dialogue or actual cutscenes) was annoing for the better part of the time forcing me to re-run whole thing, but usually same cutscene didn't DC me more than once - until I've got into blast from the past - this one is consisently dcing me (6 tries so far, tried restarting game, I'm always playing in borderless windowed, cable connection, proxying is not exacly available option and I've foudn this thread hoping I'll find on google a bandaid that could help :/

will try that skills usage before/during cutscenes, usually tried to avoid using anything thinking that's what was breaking those things xD

EDIT: make that 7th DC spammign skills like mad didn't help :/

EDIT2: used that smarty little thing with commands on the shortcut to swap port used into https one (443?) and it seemed to have worked, and this also reminded me of one detail that may help tracing down the bugger - everytime it happens for cutscenes proper there is part of cutscene missing - be it audio for VA in earlier cases or - in case of blast from the past - laranthir forgot to cry out and airship forgot to be blown out of the skies....

EDIT3: aaaand jinxed it - just got booted out after cutscene deep into arah story.....

Right guys...

After 50+ attempts at Arah.. leaving the game for months and coming back to see if this was fixed.. I have FINALLY completed it.

It failed the first time I tried today, as usual. Here's what I did the second time:

1. Went to Windows Settings, Gaming, XBox Networking and pressed 'Fix it'
  2. Disabled Enable Camera Teleportation in the GW2 options
  3. Disabled Enable First-person Camera in the GW2 options

I suspect it was the camera options that fixed it.. something to do with the camera and cut scenes.

Good luck guys!

I've tried several different options to prevent DC's during instance content. The best I've managed to do is get it to one or two disconnects per day. Usually I reset my router, not sure why, but if I don't do this I get frequent instance DC's and Login DC's. Also I went through my Anti-virus and Firewall setting to make sure that GW2 is set as an exception for scans and usage. That alone decreased my instance DC's from about 50% to maybe 3 a day.

Been trying to finish forging the pact for a solid 5 hours now, get to the last scene to be booted every time. Yet can sit in town afk all day and not get booted once, but the sec i start a story....ya

Done the "tricks" i can find but im getting negligible if any packet loss while still getting kicked, mind you i have other things running on the same network with zero issues that would on the norm freak out if there was any kind of interruption.

• 2 weeks later...

I dc'd immediately after my second try at killing Balthazar. Right after he died, the cutscene started, but all I got was a black screen for a few seconds and then disconnect. When I reconnected I was taken back to the beginning of the fight.

Too frustrated to try again now, but at some point I'll go back and try some of the suggestions in this thread. I hate that fight. Like others in this thread I don't often do the story material as I find some of them too long, with too many parts, sometimes life intervenes and having to redo the whole thing from the beginning is soul sucking.

Piping in for the first time in years just to say how awful this is when it happens. Today I was doing the Living Story 2 "Hidden Arcana" episode. The whole thing took me well over 45 minutes to get near the end, only to have the "Lost connection to the server" issue pop up, and then had to do the entire story over again.

This is the 4rth or 5th time in the last week this has happened at the worst possible times. I am thoroughly enjoying catching up with what I have missed over the last few years, but man, this disconnect is absolutely awful.

@"dandamanno.4136" said:Piping in for the first time in years just to say how awful this is when it happens. Today I was doing the Living Story 2 "Hidden Arcana" episode. The whole thing took me well over 45 minutes to get near the end, only to have the "Lost connection to the server" issue pop up, and then had to do the entire story over again.

This is the 4rth or 5th time in the last week this has happened at the worst possible times. I am thoroughly enjoying catching up with what I have missed over the last few years, but man, this disconnect is absolutely awful.

submit a ticket to anet support (preferably with your machines specs and the part you crashed at), they'll a- be more likely to help, and b- will amass data on this issue.

far as i can tell, the people who get story disconnects get story disconnects a lot and consistently, while there is many people (i amongst them) who have never disconnected even once during a story (aside internet cutting out, that is) even on those instances prone to it. i don't work for anet so obviously i'm not the authority here but based on that pattern i assume it comes about when the game won't jive with ones computer in some way.

on that note, hidden arcana also proved a particularly troublesome episode for one of my friends who is under the 'story chapters give constant issues' umbrella.

@Lexi.1398 said:

@"dandamanno.4136" said:Piping in for the first time in years just to say how awful this is when it happens. Today I was doing the Living Story 2 "Hidden Arcana" episode. The whole thing took me well over 45 minutes to get near the end, only to have the "Lost connection to the server" issue pop up, and then had to do the entire story over again.

submit a ticket to anet support (preferably with your machines specs and the part you crashed at), they'll a- be more likely to help, and b- will amass data on this issue.

far as i can tell, the people who get story disconnects get story disconnects
a lot
and consistently, while there is many people (i amongst them) who have never disconnected even once during a story (aside internet cutting out, that is) even on those instances prone to it. i don't work for anet so obviously i'm not the authority here but based on that pattern i assume it comes about when the game won't jive with ones computer in some way.

on that note, hidden arcana also proved a particularly troublesome episode for one of my friends who is under the 'story chapters give constant issues' umbrella.

Already done it in game. Thanks. I will write the part of the story here, in case it gets viewed here as well.

It was at the part of "Hidden Arcana" in the Glint caves after you kill the first beast with the 1 HP "fragile" debuff strategy. Clicked on the next interactable, got the cut scene, then the cut-scene cuts out (pun intended) and you just wait for the impending "lost connection" dialogue.

I've had this issue for as long as I can remember.

I'm currently playing through Living World Season 2, and I cannot complete Hidden Arcana. I have disconnected at two cutscenes within Glint's Lair - the one after defeating the Malevolent Memory, and at the memory cutscene after defeating the Distorted Facet of Light. This is rather problematic and takes all sense of fun out of the game. I really enjoyed the Malevolent Memory encounter, but the thought of having to do it again in order to progress is grueling.

I've tried numerous things in this thread - camera settings, firewall settings, antivirus - everything short of using a VPN, because I feel like that shouldn't be expected of me to get my game working, and would degrade gameplay quality even further.

Technical details that might matter include several ISPs, Windows 7 and Windows 10, antivirus and firewalls disabled (even though they're most likely not the culprits), running in compatibility mode, running as administrator, and various builds from an AMD Athlon with an ATI (remember them?) HD 6770 to a i7 7700k and GTX 980s.

@dandamanno.4136 said:

@dandamanno.4136 said:Piping in for the first time in years just to say how awful this is when it happens. Today I was doing the Living Story 2 "Hidden Arcana" episode. The whole thing took me well over 45 minutes to get near the end, only to have the "Lost connection to the server" issue pop up, and then had to do the entire story over again.

a lot
and consistently, while there is many people (i amongst them) who have never disconnected even once during a story (aside internet cutting out, that is) even on those instances prone to it. i don't work for anet so obviously i'm not the authority here but based on that pattern i assume it comes about when the game won't jive with ones computer in some way.

Already done it in game. Thanks. I will write the part of the story here, in case it gets viewed here as well.

It was at the part of "Hidden Arcana" in the Glint caves after you kill the first beast with the 1 HP "fragile" debuff strategy. Clicked on the next interactable, got the cut scene, then the cut-scene cuts out (pun intended) and you just wait for the impending "lost connection" dialogue.

In game bug report wont get you specificaly any help tho mate.You have to put in a support ticket for them to be able to maybe work out the kinks with your machine.

@Linken.6345 said:

@dandamanno.4136 said:Piping in for the first time in years just to say how awful this is when it happens. Today I was doing the Living Story 2 "Hidden Arcana" episode. The whole thing took me well over 45 minutes to get near the end, only to have the "Lost connection to the server" issue pop up, and then had to do the entire story over again.

a lot

In game bug report wont get you specificaly any help tho mate.You have to put in a support ticket for them to be able to maybe work out the kinks with your machine.

They list the problem as "verifying" in the known issues list, which means they believe they have a fix for it.

Anyhow, this is one of those issues that is pretty clearly not a client issue. I don't want to be the "my computer is great, it's their servers" guy, as long as long as you promise not to be the "I don't have this issue, so it must be your computer" guy, lol. ;)

@dandamanno.4136 said:

a lot

They list the problem as "verifying" in the known issues list, which means they believe they have a fix for it.

Anyhow, this is one of those issues that is pretty clearly not a client issue. I don't want to be the "my computer is great, it's their servers" guy, as long as long as you promise not to be the "I don't have this issue, so it must be your computer" guy, lol. ;)

You forgot the third option its not either of those but your connection bettwen server and computer so your internet providers routing guy.

• 3 weeks later...

I came back to GW2 after a long time.. i wanted to enjoy this since vanilla was awesome.. however i bought the two expansions and i cant pass these cutscenes..

I tried to play trought the storyline.. NO CHANCE.. i get disconnected A LOT.. and i think i am in the final mission of the first expansion.. it was a pain to come this far.. i have to kill the dragon at Orr.. of course it has become impossible to go on here as this mission has A LOT of cutscenes.. so chances of getting disconnected here are very high. i tried for two days in a row now.. i tried at least 30 times each day.. and i have no patience left anymore for this crap.. i am so frustrated with this.. i came so far once (i had to throw stones into some fat monster's mouth and he then becomes vunerable dont know the name of the boss) however.. after that fight a non skippable cutscene happens.. AND I GOT DISCONNECTED AGAIN!! I am angry and frustrated beyond myself!

So yeah here i am with recently bought expasion packs worth 100$ that i cant even play

I am having the same issue. Just did the Sparking the Flame mission (1st one where you meet Balthazar's herald) and right at the end of the mission before I could get credit it disconnects. What gives? This keeps happening on other missions as well, almost every time? I have great internet, I never get disconnected from this game or any other game... clearly with the amount of people mentioning this issue this has to be a game client/server problem?