Add duels + "disable duels" option — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Add duels + "disable duels" option

There's no reason not to do it.
If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.
It really is overcomplicated to duel in this game.

<13

Comments

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

That's not a very good way of starting a thread.
    Read this: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/317/how-to-give-good-feedback
    The title is self explanatory

• TamX.1870TamX.1870 Member ✭✭✭

In the previous game, we had sparring (dueling) option around the world. You got no rewards from loosing or winning, and you were not able to kill opponents entirely to rez circle: when either side lost health, spar was over (players were not targetable anymore) and loosing side was "exhausted" for like 5-10 secs before standing up again. You were able to enable/disable sparring invitations, just like other invitations, and I think it was disabled by default, so new players needed eventually to turn it on if they wanted to start sparring. Spars were entirely 1vs1, no other player could target the ones dueling (although some wanted to ruin certain spars by throwing heals in), and you could have only one spar running at time (you could not invite player sparring already to spar with you).

We used to have sparring circles in certain spots: mostly popular "hub" spots that were easy to access w/ instant traveling around the world. They used to be somewhat popular, people learning PvP basics and more experienced players trying out new classes & builds. But the game itself evolved to direction which made spars meaningless to practice for PvP. In this game, I could think that e.g. Lion's Arch would be one popular spot for duel circles, maybe also certain other places where you have easily accessible waypoint and some room around.

I have nothing to complain with the system, vice versa. As long as the game was somewhat balanced from PvP perspective, they were easy and cheap ways to practice, and it was always an option for quiet hours to have something to do.

• @Aodlop.1907 said:
    If for some odd reason you still find things to complain about when it comes to open world duels, and you really don't want them to happen everywhere, then have some "brawler" dedicated areas here and there, like arenas.

Not a dev, but I guess this shouldn't be too hard to implement? Not sure why you'd want this though, aside from having the ability to chop unsuspecting newbies up. Lol.

I'd much rather have the high stakes-high rewards system in WvW and PvP. It's much more epic, and you if you're lucky, you'll occasionally be part of a well orchestrated squad, mowing down swathes of pitiful plebs in your way.

• Aodlop.1907Aodlop.1907 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@Veluna.7316 said:

@Aodlop.1907 said:

lol Open world PvP combat right there on the spot in the middle of a meta event. That would be amusing. Mordemoth is coming to kill you all, but too late! Island 4 is dueling it out for command of the island.

In WoW you can't start a duel if you're currently in combat. Just add the same thing here and it won't happen, same way it never happens in WoW when there is a world boss event.

@TamX.1870 said:
    In the previous game, we had sparring (dueling) option around the world. You got no rewards from loosing or winning, and you were not able to kill opponents entirely to rez circle: when either side lost health, spar was over (players were not targetable anymore) and loosing side was "exhausted" for like 5-10 secs before standing up again. You were able to enable/disable sparring invitations, just like other invitations, and I think it was disabled by default, so new players needed eventually to turn it on if they wanted to start sparring. Spars were entirely 1vs1, no other player could target the ones dueling (although some wanted to ruin certain spars by throwing heals in), and you could have only one spar running at time (you could not invite player sparring already to spar with you).

We used to have sparring circles in certain spots: mostly popular "hub" spots that were easy to access w/ instant traveling around the world. They used to be somewhat popular, people learning PvP basics and more experienced players trying out new classes & builds. But the game itself evolved to direction which made spars meaningless to practice for PvP. In this game, I could think that e.g. Lion's Arch would be one popular spot for duel circles, maybe also certain other places where you have easily accessible waypoint and some room around.

I have nothing to complain with the system, vice versa. As long as the game was somewhat balanced from PvP perspective, they were easy and cheap ways to practice, and it was always an option for quiet hours to have something to do.

Yeah much like in WoW.
    This is the first MMO ever where I see people argue against duels like there's any real downside to it, I don't get those people. I'm not asking for duels to be a mandatory part of the game with gigantic rewards, just a fun option for those who want it (and an option to disable it for those who don't) and they still argue against it...Feels like they enjoy preventing others from having fun.

• JusticeRetroHunter.7684JusticeRetroHunter.7684 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

I agree

I also disagree with the arguments against it.

Just look at 1v1 servers in the prime time/ hay day. People would just gather around just to hang out and watch duels. Some vets, some noobs, some pros and some teachers and students ...all getting together to learn, talk and essentially get to know the community.

Just look at PVE right now. Literally nobody talks to each other. There’s no semblance of community because all of the possible interactions in the PVE game are with AI, npc’s and monsters. PVE was so boring....world bosses were the only reason to get a conversation going and even then people still don’t talk to each other because it’s not challenging and it’s just a farm at the end of the day.

Not only does pvp need this, but PVE needs this too.

• dynomite.5834dynomite.5834 Member ✭✭✭

As a dedicated WvW'er, I'd rather the devs work on other things. There's already plenty of dueling in WvW so if that's your game, come on in and duel.

• sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would like this, but i can live without it.

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• Eme.2018Eme.2018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@Chay.7852 said:
    Everyone defines fun different - for me its not fun to be ganked by some higher leveled, especially for duels skilled player. And i think there might be more ppl who share my opinion.

If duels were implemented, literally nothing would give us the ability to gank one another.

I remember once, as i tried another MMO and the very first thing i saw, my first contact with the "community" in the moment my newly created character stepped into that world were duels requests - which i denied, which brought me insults in local chat, which i blocked. and so on... I'm sure you got the point ;) It wasn't a nice experience and i think it wouldn't really impress new players (it didn't impress me at all, on contrary, i planed playing that game at least Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening and then "lets see and i quitted on Saturday already) - at least not in a positive way.

What game is that, I am curious. I played Wow for quite some time, highly active in duels and such, it never happened to me once. Something tells me that either you were truly unlucky or the community in this game was generally really toxic.

I'm not sure how many MMO's out there do not have duels - beside guild wars - but i think there wont be so many. And for that reason i dont understand why ppl who want duels in pve dont play one of those...?

Well, its rather obvious. Open world duel implementation isn't something that can attract and keep players, in and of itself, in a game.

Edit: Corrected grammar error.

• ShiningSquirrel.3751ShiningSquirrel.3751 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@Aodlop.1907 said:

It's already been discussed MANY times before, absolutely no reason to create another thread about this again. If you want to to discuss it you should post in one of the other threads instead of creating another one that will simply get the same responses and eventually be merged in to one of the other threads anyway.

Actually, maybe in the other thread you already created about this same subject?
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/39433/i-wish-dueling-was-a-thing#latest

• Chay.7852Chay.7852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@Eme.2018 said:

@Chay.7852 said:
    Everyone defines fun different - for me its not fun to be ganked by some higher leveled, especially for duels skilled player. And i think there might be more ppl who share my opinion.

If duels were implemented, literally nothing would give us the ability to gank one another.

I remember once, as i tried another MMO and the very first thing i saw, my first contact with the "community" in the moment my newly created character stepped into that world were duels requests - which i denied, which brought me insults in local chat, which i blocked. and so on... I'm sure you got the point ;) It wasn't a nice experience and i think it wouldn't really impress new players (it didn't impress me at all, on contrary, i planed playing that game at least Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening and then "lets see and i quitted on Saturday already) - at least not in a positive way.

What game is that, I am curious. I played Wow for quite some time, highly active in duels and such, it never happened to me once. Something tells me that either you were truly unlucky or the community in this game was generally really toxic.

I'm not sure how many MMO's out there do not have duels - beside guild wars - but i think there wont be so many. And for that reason i dont understand why ppl who want duels in pve dont play one of those...?

Well, its rather obvious. Open world duel implementation isn't something that can attract and keep players, in and of itself, in a game.

Edit: Corrected grammar error.

I didnt mention the name of the game because i dont want to make any - bad or good - publicity for it. And since you mention WoW - a game i only played very shortly cause i didnt like it (starting with the looks) - a workmate, long-time wow-player, told me that it was a thing in wow to send duel invites to ppl who were gathering and so to "force" them to accidentaly accept while they wanted to only accept to gather. So yeah... ganker will find their way ;)

• Eme.2018Eme.2018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@Chay.7852 said:
    I didnt mention the name of the game because i dont want to make any - bad or good - publicity for it. And since you mention WoW - a game i only played very shortly cause i didnt like it (starting with the looks) - a workmate, long-time wow-player, told me that it was a thing in wow to send duel invites to ppl who were gathering and so to "force" them to accidentaly accept while they wanted to only accept to gather. So yeah... ganker will find their way ;)

No, they won't. I 've never heard of what you are talking about. But, anyhow, even if you mistakenly accept a duel, you can just run away, or you can just play it out, you loose nothing anyway. It is nothing like a gank.

• Can we have open world pvp too. Would be fun

• @Aodlop.1907 said:

@Veluna.7316 said:

@Aodlop.1907 said:

lol Open world PvP combat right there on the spot in the middle of a meta event. That would be amusing. Mordemoth is coming to kill you all, but too late! Island 4 is dueling it out for command of the island.

In WoW you can't start a duel if you're currently in combat. Just add the same thing here and it won't happen, same way it never happens in WoW when there is a world boss event.

@TamX.1870 said:

Yeah much like in WoW.
    This is the first MMO ever where I see people argue against duels like there's any real downside to it, I don't get those people. I'm not asking for duels to be a mandatory part of the game with gigantic rewards, just a fun option for those who want it (and an option to disable it for those who don't) and they still argue against it...Feels like they enjoy preventing others from having fun.

Do you want open world duels or sparring grounds on PVE maps? Very important to clarify here as other people are thinking open world anywhere duels which would not be a welcome development during scalable or map meta events, mob interaction with duels, possible griefing accusations.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Eme.2018 said:

@Chay.7852 said:

No, they won't. I 've never heard of what you are talking about. But, anyhow, even if you mistakenly accept a duel, you can just run away, or you can just play it out, you loose nothing anyway. It is nothing like a gank.

As was stated before: why not come to WvW?

Most People in open world PVE don’t want to duel.

Several in WvW do. At least a far higher percentage than open world.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

Not dueling, I hate being spammed with duel invitations.
    They could add couple of arenas in cities, 1v1, enter and duel.

It could make game bit lively and provide some entertainments.

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• @Astralporing.1957 said:
    Actually, it seems it actually would be, for a multitude of reasons that have been mentioned in many such threads before. The main mechanical problem would be how the "friend/enemy/neutral" difference is coded in (and how it's not really susceptible to easy modifications).

Hmm... if it's just an enable/disable toggle switch, wouldn't that be easy? There are plenty of beasts roaming around that switch from neutral to hostile upon damage.

But yeah, don't think it's worth the effort when we have much more engaging PvP options.

• @Heraldusluminare.2946 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:
    Actually, it seems it actually would be, for a multitude of reasons that have been mentioned in many such threads before. The main mechanical problem would be how the "friend/enemy/neutral" difference is coded in (and how it's not really susceptible to easy modifications).

Hmm... if it's just an enable/disable toggle switch, wouldn't that be easy? There are plenty of beasts roaming around that switch from neutral to hostile upon damage.

But yeah, don't think it's worth the effort when we have much more engaging PvP options.

But the player characters aren't Neutral, they're Allied. Completely different beast.

Yeah, it's not like I suggested to have an option that saves you from receivign such invitations in the very title of this thread...Sigh.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aodlop.1907 said:

Yeah, it's not like I suggested to have an option that saves you from receivign such invitations in the very title of this thread...Sigh.

Ever heard of whispers? Say/map chat? Even mail?

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:
    A fairly recent comment from an Anet dev regarding this topic:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/695146/#Comment_695146

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

@Aodlop.1907 said:

Read the devs comment posted by JT. There are places to duel. Use them.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

I didn't care for open world dueling in other MMOs which is one of the reasons I play GW2 instead of those other games. In my opinion, if you want to duel, there are options in GW2 already for that type of play, or you can play another MMO which has open world dueling. Please leave it out of OWPvE in GW2.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

@Heraldusluminare.2946 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

They switch between already predefined "teams" (for example, that "hostile" group is "hostile to all players". Not "hostile to a specific player"). Remember, in a duel you'd need to have two players that are hostile to each other, but to noone else (including that other pair of players duelling next to them). That's not a simple switch, that's a rebuild of whole ally/enemy mechanic.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

Yeah right, some random people will harass you because you don't accept their duel. They'll send your E-MAILS because of it. Right. Sure, of course.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018

Aodlop is correct about one thing. The current options for dueling leave something to be desired. Custom Arenas require players uses a PvP build, not a PvE or WvW build. WvW duels require that any passing players not intervene. Dueling in the guild hall is undesirable for players who might want to duel while waiting for, say Jormag. They'd need to give up their spot on the map to go duel, thus risking the loss of that spot when they want to return.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

It seems like, much as with other features some players desire (UI customization, effects slider), the underpinnings for dueling would have best been built into the game during initial design.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aodlop.1907 said:

Yeah right, some random people will harass you because you don't accept their duel. They'll send your E-MAILS because of it. Right. Sure, of course.

Outside of emails(odd choice to put) yes, the rest of those are correct.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

Outside of emails(odd choice to put) yes, the rest of those are correct.

Toxic players exist, yes. Block them, problem solved.
    Guess what, toxic players exist in even bigger nombers in every popular competitive game. Should we close Fortnite, LoL and StarCraft II to prevent a few frail individuals from being offended by mean words in a videogame ?

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    Aodlop is correct about one thing. The current options for dueling leave something to be desired. Custom Arenas require players uses a PvP build, not a PvE or WvW build. WvW duels require that any passing players not intervene. Dueling in the guild hall is undesirable for players who might want to duel while waiting for, say Jormag. They'd need to give up their spot on the map to go duel, thus risking the loss of that spot when they want to return.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

It seems like, much as with other features some players desire (UI customization, effects slider), the underpinnings for dueling would have best been built into the game during initial design.

The OP doesn’t even acknowledge the options that currently exist in this game. Nor has there been an acknowledgement of the people who have posted the alternatives.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:
    The OP doesn’t even acknowledge the options that currently exist in this game. Nor has there been an acknowledgement of the people who have posted the alternatives.

My take is that the OP doesn't like the existing options, maybe because those environments aren't as heavily populated as OWPvE and that s/he is looking for the style of gaming that s/he wants at the expense of the current iteration?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

My take is that the OP doesn't like the existing options, maybe because those environments aren't as heavily populated as OWPvE and that s/he is looking for the style of gaming that s/he wants at the expense of the current iteration?

I would agree with your assessment.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Hes also posted two other threads about the topic earlier this year; with fairly similar outcomes/responses so..

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TamX.1870 said:

What previous game? Guild Wars 1 didn't have anything like you've described.

Do you mean the MMO you played before this one?

@Tasty Pudding.3764 said:
    Don't need "disable duels" option. Just make it so that when someone wants to initiate a duel, it pops up a choice for the other player. If that player declines, it automatically kills the initiator. :p

We absolutely do need a disable option, I don't want to waste my time trying to clear constant invite spam whenever I go into a town. And yes, it is that bad in some other MMOs. Maybe not everywhere, but especially in popular towns as soon as you enter you're hit with invites and if you decline they just send it again...and again...and again until they're blocked.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Heraldusluminare.2946 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

Mobs are assigned a team colour hence why some factions cAn attack each other and players can't be targeted in such a way (same team). For duelling to work, a major coding change needs to occur apparently.

FYI I am fully against any form of open world pvp incl duelling regardless of a checkbox. Very little positive can come from it and there is simply no reason for it to exist there. Enable duelling in the pvp lobby sure, but never in open world

There already is an area in the Heart of the Mists where anyone can fight anyone. Plus various 1v1 PvP arenas and guild hall arenas. Apparently it's too much trouble to go there.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"In this town, we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song! In this town, don't we love it now? Everyone's waiting for the next surprise!"

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.