How many characters do you have, and why? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How many characters do you have, and why?

So I would like to know how many characters everyone here have total, and what is your reasoning for having that many characters!

I have 53 characters total and plan to make more! I enjoy GW2 character creation and love charrs, so that is my main motivation for making a lot of alts. Each uses a different build and has a different design idea. I also wanted to make enough non-charrs to make sure I have vairety in all the armor types and get to try designing them as well.

So, how many do YOU have? Let us know your reasonings in the comments!

How many characters do you have, and why? 202 votes

One character
1%
trixantea.1230avey.4201Zychuu.7294Dragon Priestess.9760 4 votes
2-4
4%
Sylent.3165Whitworth.7259Mikali.9651Mellow.7409Cat Warrior.9240Tailcoat.6920GW Noob.6038Stickychicken.1280ScyeRynn.4218heartless.9014 10 votes
5-9
32%
TheSlothArmada.6709Linken.6345SunTzu.4513Fantasy.5321Ashen.2907Susy.7529kurfu.5623MetalGirl.2370Blur.3465Robban.1256regilyor.3152yoni.7015Kylden Ar.3724Opopanax.1803Blood Red Arachnid.2493Klipso.8653InsaneQR.7412Reverielle.3972naujocks.2319Eme.2018 66 votes
10+
38%
maddoctor.2738Pifil.5193Solori.6025Davion Roth.6709Jethro.9376Jahroots.6791mikansei.5742IndigoSundown.5419Danikat.8537TwiceDead.1963Sciger.1679Dante.1763Ashantara.8731Arden.7480Boysenberry.1869kharmin.7683Ayrilana.1396Randulf.7614Hevoskuuri.3891TexZero.7910 78 votes
20+
10%
Just a flesh wound.3589SilverWolfAkira.1024Dashingsteel.3410starhunter.6015Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864Donari.5237Tachenon.5270Ameepa.6793AzureWolf.9150Obtena.7952kaat.8237Berelious.3290Kal Spiro.9745Talindra.4958Ben K.6238Udolpho.1209Alora.6841kuma.2710aspirine.6852Lexi.1398 22 votes
30+
5%
TheGrimm.5624Rauderi.8706SleepyGamer.5748lukey.8951Daddicus.6128Dragana.1497StinVec.3621Cyninja.2954Teleoceras.1298LadyRhonwyn.2501Tzarakiel.7490 11 votes
40+
2%
DeanBB.4268Musaroxy.2874Kiva.9012Shikigami.4013Vayne.8563 5 votes
50 +
1%
Cerioth.7062HazyDaisy.4107Tsume.4762 3 votes
60-69
1%
nottsgman.8206Forgotten Legend.9281Lamont.5973 3 votes
<13

Comments

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018
    5-9

One of each profession.

(plus one more, but doesnt seem fair to count a character that only exists for occasional key farming).

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018
    5-9

One for each profession so I can switch to whichever playstyle I feel like at the moment.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

6, one for each character I created a long time ago based on a backstory and specializations I love, will eventually buy another one as key-farm. Since the beginning, 0 sylvari, 0 revenant, 0 mesmer, 0 ranger. So, 1 holosmith, 1 scourge, 1 weaver, 1 deadeye, 1 dragonshunter and finally 1 berseker. (meh btw).

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' DONE, Housing DONE, New asuran expansion DONE, Designing a new lounge "current", New GameMode DONE

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

1 dragonhunter, 1 spellbreaker, 1 renegate,
    1 thief, 1 druid, 1 soulbeast, 1 holosmith
    1 reaper, 1 scourge, 1 tempest, 1 crono, 1 mirage.

Reason? It is easier to switch character then gear, spec, sigils, runes, infusions x.x

Mr. Z, open this gate. Mr. Z... Mr. Z, tear down this wall!

• Luke.1402Luke.1402 Member ✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018
    5-9

Human Male Weaver (Main character)
    Human Female Chronomancer
    Asura Male Firebrand
    Asura Female Druid
    Sylvari Male Herald
    Sylvari Female Reaper

A male and female of each race, I'm not sure if I want to do Norns and Charrs though, they're just not my type of characters I'd play but we'll see

i am absolute trash at this game

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    20+

Farming ... and trying out builds.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• 10+

12 to be exact, one of each class and 2 rangers, 1 dps 1 druid. 2 eles, 1 is for storage with max bag slots, the other I pvp or wvw with. I'm more of a utility person and logic thinking to make money so most are rooted at farm spots to do so. I play what I want then I put them back in their spot.

I have 2 other accounts that are duplicates of the main one so if you lump it all in 30ish.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

11, 1 of each profession with a second ele and engi because I like both elite specs. Or alternately 1 of each race/gender combination with an extra female sylvari.

I've told myself I'm not going to make more unless we get more races or professions. (At one point I specifically said not until we get tengu, because then I can call him Seahawk and he'll be my 12th man.) But I said that when I had 9 so I'm not sure it'll last.

I have loads of ideas for character themes, but I'd never have time to play them so it seems pointless.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• 10+

I bought some in the beginning to have 1 of each class. I bought both ultimate editions expacs which had them. Then they had this elonian pack thingy on sale that came with 2 extra slot bags and unbreakable tools for less than 2000 gems so i grabbed all that they allowed me to get. If those things go on sale again better believe ill grab them all up again because that was big time value for me and i hate regearing.

• Iozeph.5617Iozeph.5617 Member ✭✭✭
    10+

Some Humans, a Norn, a couple of Charrs, and a Sylvari from a time when I'd wanted to see something of all the racial questlines.That didn't last long - I don't play them much because they're just not much at all.

I do, however, have an Asura for every base profession. Why?

Because they're goofy, they're cute, and above all else they make me smile when I play them. For their animations alone -whether it's being surprised, toddling along self-importantly from one place to another as they walk, lugging around a heavy weapon and teetering back and forth, falling comically on their faces when landing from a great height, the way their ears stand up when engaged in battle, or the way they cheer or cry- they're a joy to watch in motion. Somehow whoever did their animation set managed to encapsulate that feeling of being five again- obnoxious, eager to explore the big, wide world - where everything's new and often larger than life and adventure awaits behind even the most mundane of corners.

Their faces are at once alien and yet they still have a soul, and quite a bit of variation besides - it's rare to find Asura in game with matching faces. I won't say it doesn't happen but not often. More, they're voices fit them perfectly. In a game world where it seems most everyone is falling over themselves trying to outdo one another, either in edginess or cool, it's refreshing to have a race that so unabashedly embraces its inner and outward awkwardness and invites the player to join in on the fun. They're the little rubber bandy folk of Tyria, imperious some of the time but never without a grand scheme to back their bluster up.

Whichever talents were responsible for creating the Asura, you should be immortalised in the annals of video gaming on the strength of that alone. It's obvious you loved your work.

Thank you.

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018
    20+

2 of each profession, 4 mules and a key runner.

I used to have one of each profession but when they added elite specializations I decided to have two for each profession, one for a new elite spec and one for an old spec. That way I can still play an old spec I like without having to swap things out and try out a new spec when they come out.

The mules I bought to hold the account bound stuff that is rarely used that I don’t want to take up space in my bank.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    5-9

one of each class + a key runner.
    Why dont you have a flat 10 option?

• 10+

I think I have 11 right now. It would have stopped at 9 but the expansions gave me more.

I have 1 of each profession including at least 1 of each race (most being Asura/Human though). I don't feel any need to have more than that. The remaining 2 are just key farmers or parked at a chest.

• 10+

I'm at 16, I got three over Christmas with some cash I was given specifically for blowing on my games. I'm one of those nutballs who likes making my own stories for each of my toons (I don't RP though, don't ask. ;P) and I just can't stop.
    I want more.
    I NEED MORE.
    NEED.
    hopeless altaholic

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

Oh if we're counting key runners/temp characters my answer is 12, and I've thought about getting a second spare slot so I can have a longer term temp character and a quick one at the same time.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Naxos.2503Naxos.2503 Member ✭✭✭
    5-9

1 per profession, mostly Charrs, but I also have each race in the roster. My favorite classes get the Charr treatment :p

• Teleoceras.1298Teleoceras.1298 Member ✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018
    30+

I have 36 characters most of which are specialized for specific types of play (PvE, WvW, etc.) In addition 9 of them are placers for the new elites when they come out in the next expansion. I have 12 Human, 10 Sylvari, 8 Norn, 4 Asura, and 2 Charr. All have completed the personal story.

Fort Aspenwood forever!
    36 characters!

• 10+

I have 18 so that I have 1 for each elite spec.

• Klipso.8653Klipso.8653 Member ✭✭✭
    5-9

I've got 2 guards and 2 necros because this game makes it a chore to swap specs and gear. Easier just to make 1 scourge, 1 reaper, 1 firebrand, and one dragonhunter.

-Balwarc [ICoa]

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

One of each class. At first only to do daily x wins in pvp and for achievements, now i've done full world completion, all the stories, all dungeon story paths and geared them all in full ascended gear....had to keep me occupied, right, this was a reasonable choice, right you guys/gals....am i right...

Now I got one extra character that is just for my personal enjoyment of the game(no guild membership, always log in in cognito) and an unused character slot. I'm pretty happy with my toons and don't plan on creating more characters unless something would make it more appealing to me. That could be a new playable race(pls no) or a tenth class(also not necessary) but I don't really care, as I said, I'm happy with my 9 chars and the 10th that is mine alone.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭
    5-9

9, one for each class (even if I especially use only 2-3 of them).

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018

Main account has 10 characters, one of each profession and a charr that I don't use other than crafting because the way it moved annoyed me (!) and I made a human necro instead, using what was my key farmer.
    Second account has a Mesmer (main) a necro, a ranger and a warrior + a spare slot. Only the mesmer and necro are lvl80, the rest are crafters for now.
    IF we did get a new race I possibly would get a new slot on my main as that poor Charr is my scribe and I can't delete it.
    My last game was heading to 50 odd alts and most just sat there, so keeping it a bit more real in this game.

• 5-9

I have 8 characters, one for each profession, because I want to play all of them ^_^ they’re also all sylvari because I love salad people, but I recently deleted my engineer to make a Charr... I also love big cat people. I wish I had money to make all races too!

• sigur.9453sigur.9453 Member ✭✭✭
    10+

2 of each class. Condi/power mostly

• 20+

Male/female of each race excpet for male Norn, and of all professions. I don't like the body type selection-too much neck. I mostly get an idea for a new character look and get designing. The 20+ characters are spread over two accounts.

EU Gunner's Hold

• Cyanchiv.2583Cyanchiv.2583 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018
    10+

I have 12 characters currently. One of each profession, and 2 extra characters that are meant to be used as a separate build of the same profession, and also as they were given to me freely. Also all the species are represented too. My final character is my key run character, deleted and recreated weekly. Despite having that many characters I usually only play on my first one ever created, and I haven't touched some of those characters for years at this point.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

One for each profession, and another to give a silly name to another profession I regret naming but won't delete because it's three years old.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

I currently have eleven.

9 as one of Each Profession.
    A extra Warrior because I made the mistake of making the first one a Asura.
    And a low level character that open champion bags for T3-T4 craft materials.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• 10+

13...no wonder nothing ever goes my way in this game.

• 10+

11 total:
    9 - One for each class
    1 - It cost the same to rename a character as to buy a new slot so I just releveled my main to rename keeping the old for crafting and birthday
    1 - For future use or key runs or other things

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018
    10+

Thirteen. Each for every profession, plus a second Guardian and Ranger, as I wanted to "outsource" the elite specs I don't truly like (namely Firebrand and Druid), as well as two Warriors, as one elite spec fits my Charr better and the other one of my Norn.

Oh, and one character I no longer play and whose only purpose is to hoard my many scriptures and to farm the garden in Mount Maelstrom daily.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

I intended to have only one of each class, but soon I found that some elite specs play entirely different enough to justify another character dedicated to a build. My extras are alts of my mains like my thief I made into a holosmith and my guardian into a berserker.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

bc that's how many gems I had on hand when slots were on sale. I'd like a slot for each specialization, but it's not that impt . . .

• 5-9

one of each, all with map comp, and HoT masteries (still working on PoF the buggy piece of kitten) and one for key farming sometimes (atleast before they nerfed it)

• One character

Just one. I only have 1, in any game I play. I can't see myself using any more.

Tarnished Coast, North America.
    I am on the hunt for exclusive dyes wink wink

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018

I have 11. I play 2.

Thief and Warrior.

Thief was my first one and has emotional value attached to him. My warrior was the one I started when I came back to the game and sort of functions as a "waifu" I suppose.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• 10+

I have 18 characters... most of them belong to my main's charr warband.

• jwaz.1908jwaz.1908 Member ✭✭✭
    10+

I make a new character for every specialization.

Henge of Denravi - Equinox Solstice [TIME]
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Jwaz

• Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    10+

2 of each because they run different builds.......and it solves getting too bored.

(NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

• Forgotten Legend.9281Forgotten Legend.9281 Member ✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018
    60-69

70 (since the option is not available, i voted 60-69)

because i'm an altaholic... at least one class for each race (5 races , 9 classes) plus extras for RP. The extras are basically family and friends of my main characters, such as spouses, children, siblings. AND every character runs a different build. AND yes, i'd like 20 more. at least.

seriously. if you had max available slots during the pre-orders for the expansions, you could get an extra slot for each expansion that you preordered when you had already maxxed out your slots. i was NOT maxxed when HoT launched, but WAS maxxed for PoF launch.

"Bacon Defeciency DIsorder Sux"
    ~ The Baconnaire

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    30+

9 humans (all classes), 9 sylvari (all classes), 4 norn, 2 charr and 4 azura, 1 key farmer.

Why? Because every time I get bored I would make my key farmer a new character with some idea cosmetic wise. Currently sitting at 29 (voted 30+) and already have 2 ideas for 2 more azura. Just haven't gotten around to making them with the holidays going on.

In general I enjoy the human/Sylvari model the most with azura reminding me of Lurikeen from DAoC. Norn are okay, charr I really do not enjoy (absolutely personal preference).

• MarcellinoAlighieri.7194MarcellinoAlighieri.7194 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018
    10+

13 total. Mostly human males. Got a Norn male, Charr female, and Asura male and an Asura female. I tend to play my Reaper, Dragonhunter and Weaver almost exclusively. Most of the others are just mules. Although my two latest characters were created to give Mirage and Scourge a go since I didn't want to change my Reaper around too much (I like him just as he is now) nor did I want to fiddle around with my Chrono.

Prince of Angels - Disney Prince with a Horrifying Power

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    40+

I have over 40 characters. Mostly I like to make different looks and themes. Some are funny, like an old, craggy, angry looking male norn named Get Off the Lawn, who I made look as ridiculous as possible. I also have a cool looking norn pirate named Captain Argghhhh. And I have a character named the Guildfather. I also have characters that are more serious...Surreal by Nature is a canthan themed character.

The idea is that since this game is about skins, using the skins I've unlocked makes sense. I also prefer having different builds and setups. I have condi and power soulbeast characters for example. Or different elite specs. I have a power repear and a condi scourge as well as a celestial scourge for WvW. I prefer making a new character to carrying armor and switching out on one character.

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

1 of each base plus 2 mules.

• 5-9
    1. One of each and then when i get more slots on the next sale i'll be adding a few more.
  • Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭
    5-9

7 total but as a mainoholic, I only play one character actively. My current main has been a Firebrand since PoF.
    My old mains between 2012 and 2017: Ranger, Necro, Engineer are inactive.
    I have an experimental Elementalist who ended up as my banker.
    I have one lvl50 Thief who is my bag opener and PvP slave.
    And one permanent Key farmer who gets recreated every week.

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭
    5-9

Currently seven. One of each class, minus Elementalist and Engineer. Those two are still works in progress trying to get the RP ideas together.

• Abraxxus.8971Abraxxus.8971 Member ✭✭✭
    10+

Technically 17. 15 regular characters and 2 versions of Scarlet Briar for festivals/ some rp with.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
    10+

I have one main claiming over 90% of the playtime
    As for the rest, mostly because i like to make characters.
    Dont have any Norn, though, i can just use an endless embiggening tonic on a human if i want to play norn

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

<13
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.