Runecrafter's Salvage-o-Matic concerns [Merged]

@totaloverride.3240 said:

@totaloverride.3240 said:Runecrafter's kit should give rune not salvage the rune!!!!!!!!!!This is one more scam. I bought this and now i regret that.i want my 200g back!

It salvages the rune? What is the point of buying this thing then? The silver has an 80% chance of salvaging the rune anyway which, in my experience, means 100%. Why would I buy this thing? Thank you for your post, though, you saved me 600 gems I would have spent because I misread the description. I have to agree this is sort of a scam that relies on people either not reading or not understanding the description before buying.

scam!

If it removed the rune aswell then it would make upgrade extractors and permanent upgrade extractors redundant

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dante.1763 said:what i paid for should still do what i paid for it to do.

It's not the first time ANet's changed the utility of a convenience item after a major feature update. I do think that ANet should offer to refund the cost of the kit to anyone who asks, since the functionality changed. There's almost no chance that they can allow a silver-fed to continue to extract runes, since the economic changes require that sigils & runes be produced via crafting, not 'recovery'.

If I was really unhappy with the change, I'd submit a support ticket and keep appealing until a very senior GM responded. I think there's a very good chance that they'll realize that they should honor such requests for a month or so.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Think you guys are looking for the endless upgrade extractor contractor. about 3000g.No.. im looking for a perma salvage kit that ACTUALLY has a chance to recover upgrades. And no silver kit does not do that,
despite the description saying 80%

The description on the Silver-fed CLEARLY states "80% chance of
salvaging upgrades
"

It didnt used to, and it was changed very recently as it still said

"Double-click to salvage crafting materials from an item in your inventory. 25% chance of rarer materials. 80% chance of recovering upgrades from items."

less than a week ago, which is what it should still do.

I can't remember the last time I specifically needed to extract a rune from an item, because it was too valuable to scrap. There's Black Lion Kits for this.Seems like it was redundant enough to remove the function from Salvage-o-Matics for QoL in inventory management.

Not everyone has black lion kits, you know that right? i used the silver cause it had an 80% chance to do it, and regardless, what i paid for should still do what i paid for it to do.

Section 3: 4d- vi in the User Agreement:"You acknowledge that Gems are digital material with no cash value, that no interest is paid or earned with respect to Gems, that Gems are not personal property, that the quantity of Gems in Your Account may be increased or decreased by ArenaNet in its reasonable discretion, that You have no right to a refund related to Gems,."

Anet also covers themselves in making any changes to the game 'at their discretion'. No exceptions.

You can request a refund of your Salvage-o-matic, However, if you 'got your fair use out of the item', you wont get one.

Things change.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@"LucianDK.8615" said:Think you guys are looking for the endless upgrade extractor contractor. about 3000g.No.. im looking for a perma salvage kit that ACTUALLY has a chance to recover upgrades. And no silver kit does not do that,

salvaging upgrades
"What needs to be introduced is a Permanent Black Lion Salvage Kit, which given the latest changes, wont be too long to see come out I think.
Until then
, your option for a permanent way of recovering upgrades is already in game, via the Endless Upgrade Extractor.

You sure about that? Says "recovering" here. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Silver-Fed_Salvage-o-MaticOnly it doesn't recover anything, it salvages. Outdated description? False advertising? Something doesn't add up.

@Flying.6509 said:

salvaging upgrades
"What needs to be introduced is a Permanent Black Lion Salvage Kit, which given the latest changes, wont be too long to see come out I think.
Until then
, your option for a permanent way of recovering upgrades is already in game, via the Endless Upgrade Extractor.

You sure about that? Says "recovering" here.
Only it doesn't recover anything, it salvages. Outdated description? False advertising? Something doesn't add up.

The wiki is player made and needs updating, so I updated it with the correct terms the kit now displays.I'll also add, the description changed with the Nov 13th patch to change how runes/sigils are obtained/work. ("Salvage Kits: The chance to extract a rune or sigil from equipment is now a chance to salvage the upgrades directly into their crafting materials. This does not affect Black Lion Salvage Kits, which will continue to always extract upgrades intact." - Here)I own the Silver-fed, have done for years, it says salvage.

@Flying.6509 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

Only it doesn't recover anything, it salvages. Outdated description? False advertising? Something doesn't add up.

Not anymore: This page was last edited on 1 January 2019, at 18:02.Ninja edited!Anyway, it's a too cheap way to scam people, so it's not ANet's style (I mean, I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose). But I wouldn't have called it "Runecrafter" kit, since you end up with no rune. Maybe "The Crumbler, "The Destroyer", "The Annihilator" or "Mote Maker" were better names.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

salvaging upgrades
"

It didnt used to, and it was changed very recently as it still said

"Double-click to salvage crafting materials from an item in your inventory. 25% chance of rarer materials. 80% chance of recovering upgrades from items."

less than a week ago, which is what it should still do.

I can't remember the last time I specifically needed to extract a rune from an item, because it was too valuable to scrap. There's Black Lion Kits for this.Seems like it was redundant enough to remove the function from Salvage-o-Matics for QoL in inventory management.

Not everyone has black lion kits, you know that right? i used the silver cause it had an 80% chance to do it, and regardless, what i paid for should still do what i paid for it to do.

Section 3: 4d- vi in the User Agreement:"You acknowledge that Gems are digital material with no cash value, that no interest is paid or earned with respect to Gems, that Gems are not personal property, that the quantity of Gems in Your Account may be increased or decreased by ArenaNet in its reasonable discretion, that You have no right to a refund related to Gems,."

Anet also covers themselves in making any changes to the game 'at their discretion'. No exceptions.

You can request a refund of your Salvage-o-matic, However, if you 'got your fair use out of the item', you wont get one.

Things change.

Oh believe me, i know they do and im familiar enough with the user agreement. However, it still has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and to me IMO marks a turn in the company.

This change was strike three for me, it wasnt the first one they made that made me leery, but its the "straw that broke the camels back" so to say.

Forcing players into the gemstore to get upgrades on items they earned in game, changing items purchased with real money so they arent at all what was paid for is shaddy as hell, and something that i never wanted to see in this game. Now that it is here though, its not going to get better.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Dante.1763 said:what i paid for should still do what i paid for it to do.

It's not the first time ANet's changed the utility of a convenience item
after
a major feature update. I do think that ANet should offer to refund the cost of the kit to anyone who asks, since the functionality changed. There's almost no chance that they can allow a silver-fed to continue to extract runes, since the economic changes require that sigils & runes be produced via crafting, not 'recovery'.

If
I was really unhappy with the change, I'd submit a support ticket and keep appealing until a very senior GM responded. I think there's a very good chance that they'll realize that they should honor such requests for a month or so.

As unhappy as i am about the change i have very little faith over getting a refund on the silver fed salvage kit. i purchased it when it first came out, so theres no way in hell even though its not what i bought that id get a refund.

@totaloverride.3240 said:Runecrafter's kit should give rune not salvage the rune!!!!!!!!!!This is one more scam. I bought this and now i regret that.i want my 200g back!

You can't get your gold back but you can get a gem refund. You need to contact the support while explaining the confusion and why you didn't get what you expected to get. They will ask you to manually destroy the item (just to be sure, don't do it before they actually tell you to do it). Then they should refund your gems.

@Urud.4925 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

Not anymore: This page was last edited on 1 January 2019, at 18:02.Ninja edited!Anyway, it's a too cheap way to scam people, so it's not ANet's style (I mean, I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose). But I wouldn't have called it "Runecrafter" kit, since you end up with no rune. Maybe "The Crumbler, "The Destroyer", "The Annihilator" or "Mote Maker" were better names.

Lol literally 2 minutes after I made the comment.

@Urud.4925 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

While I see the confusion, the name is perfectly appropriate as it is the best tool for runecrafters. It will generate the highest amount of materials for crafting runes and sigils of all the tools.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:A couple of questions:1: Where are people getting this for 200 gems?? I see it listed as 600.2: When 'salvaging' runes, what are the chances of getting charms and symbols? Is it 100%? Or do you just get a lot of junk lucent motes with rare drops of useful stuff?

1. They are saying 200g, gold, that they converted to gems to purchase the item.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

While I see the confusion, the name is perfectly appropriate as it is the best tool for rune
crafter
s. It will generate the highest amount of materials for
crafting
runes and sigils of all the tools.

My personnal interrogation is, if the Runecrafter's only has 5% less chances of rare materials, while being half as expensive as the Silver-fed, is it still worth it to use the Silver fed if you just want to sell everything and get the most value out of it? Is 5% chances of rare materials, worth paying twice as mutch on use and losing 20% of rune dust?

@Dante.1763 said:Oh believe me, i know they do and im familiar enough with the user agreement. However, it still has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and to me IMO marks a turn in the company.Again, this isn't the first time they've done this.To me, this isn't even close to egregious: the former functionality of the silver-fed didn't fit with the complete overhaul of the rune|sigil system. In contrast, they have nerfed the value of the candy corn gobbler a couple of times, reducing the number of available buffs and the duration.

If
I was really unhappy with the change, I'd submit a support ticket and keep appealing until a very senior GM responded. I think there's a very good chance that they'll realize that they should honor such requests for a month or so.

As unhappy as i am about the change i have very little faith over getting a refund on the silver fed salvage kit. i purchased it when it first came out, so theres no way in hell even though its not what i bought that id get a refund.I can guarantee you won't get a refund without asking.But in this case, it's clear that they changed the functionality; normally they deny refunds because people had the opportunity to use the item for a while, whereas in this case, we haven't, not really. We had the old functionality. Mind you, they might still say no because of that, but...

Anyhow, it costs you about the same time to create a support ticket as it would to cogently reply to this message.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

While I see the confusion, the name is perfectly appropriate as it is the best tool for rune
crafter
crafting

My personnal interrogation is, if the Runecrafter's only has 5% less chances of rare materials, while being half as expensive as the Silver-fed, is it still worth it to use the Silver fed if you just want to sell everything and get the most value out of it? Is 5% chances of rare materials, worth paying twice as mutch on use and losing 20% of rune dust?

The big thing is that we don't know what rate it'll produce ecto from rares. Remember, that "rarer materials" chance is not the ecto chance.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Recommend uses:

• Fine or less: copper-fed/basic
  • Masterwork: runecrafter's or silver-fed if you don't have rc
  • Rares: silver-fed, mystic, or masterwork

What is the advantage of the Silver-Fed? It gives an extra 5% chance of salvaging "rarer materials", a 20% less chance of salvaging upgrades, and costs twice as much per use. What are these "rarer materials" it speaks of? Ectos? T6 materials instead of T5? Does the extra 5% bonus in gaining them outweigh the 2x cost per use and the loss of 20% salvaged runes/sigils over large numbers of salvages?

Now I am kind of bummed that I bought the Silver-Fed when the rune/sigil changes went into effect.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

crafter
crafting

The big thing is that we don't know what rate it'll produce ecto from rares. Remember, that "rarer materials" chance is
not
the ecto chance.

Exactly. It covers your chance of getting the next tier up material on salvage. Like when you get Orichalcum instead of Mithril when you salvage.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Dante.1763 said:Oh believe me, i know they do and im familiar enough with the user agreement. However, it still has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and to me IMO marks a turn in the company.Again, this isn't the first time they've done this.To me, this isn't even close to egregious: the former functionality of the silver-fed didn't fit with the complete overhaul of the rune|sigil system. In contrast, they have nerfed the value of the candy corn gobbler a couple of times, reducing the number of available buffs and the duration.

Oh i know that, i even say that this isnt the first time they have, rather its the latest change in a string of changes, and this is the one that finally made up my mind.

If

As unhappy as i am about the change i have very little faith over getting a refund on the silver fed salvage kit. i purchased it when it first came out, so theres no way in hell even though its not what i bought that id get a refund.I can guarantee you won't get a refund without asking.But in this case, it's clear that they changed the functionality; normally they deny refunds because people had the opportunity to use the item for a while, whereas in this case, we haven't, not really. We had the old functionality. Mind you, they might still say no because of that, but...

Anyhow, it costs you about the same time to create a support ticket as it would to cogently reply to this message.

Perhaps that is the case, but would it be worth it to even try? if they readjusted the cost of the silver fed, so that it didnt cost double what the new one does(which has no downsides to using it) it probably wouldnt be to bad. Id still be annoyed at the change, but far less, because it would still be worthwhile to use. As it is now, the new one blows the silver fed ones usage out of the water due to it being half the price with only a 5% loss at a chance of rare materials.

@Vyral.9846 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Recommend uses:
  • Fine or less: copper-fed/basic
  • Masterwork: runecrafter's
    or
    silver-fed if you don't have rc
  • Rares: silver-fed, mystic, or masterwork

What is the advantage of the Silver-Fed?

It has a significantly better chance of producing ecto from rares compared to copper-fed/basic kits. ~0.875 for silver-fed, under 0.7 (and probably closer to 0.55) for copper-fed (I haven't seen a lot of verifiable data for basic salvage of rares, which is why the range is so wide; there is a lot of data on silver-fed/mystic kits).

Now I am kind of bummed that I bought the Silver-Fed when the rune/sigil changes went into effect.If you own it already, I'd say use it instead of getting runecrafters. The difference between 80% chance and 100% isn't going to turn out to be worth 600 gems for most people.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

salvaging upgrades
Until then

crafter
crafting

Silver-Fed was never worth it.

Either use the Mystic Salvage Kit, which does exactly the same as Silved Fed for 1/6th of the cost per salvage, or the new Runecrafter's.

@Dante.1763 said:Perhaps that is the case, but would it be worth it to even try?Stop replying to me and find out? You've filed support tix before; it won't take you that much of your time.(I'm really not trying to 'win' an argument -- I honestly think you'd be happier trying and failing than to have not tried at all, at least in the long run.)

I bought the Runecrafter Salvage-o-matic for science. Already owned the Copper and Silver.I then bought a total of 40 of the same green glove with runes in them.

Copper Description - 10% chance of rarer materials. 20% chance of salvaging upgrades.Silver Description - 25% chance of rarer materials. 80% chance of salvaging upgrades.Runecrafter Description - 20% chance of rarer materials. 100% chance of salvaging upgrades.

I manually clicked on each of the glove with each salvage-o-matic, 20 for the Copper, 10 for the Silver, 10 for the Runecrafter's.

Copper - salvaged all 20 gloves and got 3 lucent motes.Silver - salvaged all 10 gloves and got 8 lucent motes.Runecrafter's - salvaged all 10 gloves and got 10 lucent motes.

Anet has completely done away with the recovering of upgrades with salvage-o-matics. They are now either destroyed completely or you get motes and/or symbols from them. The Silver is pretty much pointless now with it's cost despite it having that extra 5% of getting rarer mats. The only way you will recover upgrades now are with the black lion salvage kits or the upgrade extractors. So, gonna have to start coughing up the gems or get lucky with the chest of black lion goods if you want to recover upgrades now.

Hopefully this will help some people figure out what they have changed.

@Dante.1763 said:As it is now, the new one blows the silver fed ones usage out of the water due to it being half the price with only a 5% loss at a chance of rare materials.Until someone publishes ecto salvage rates for it, I can't agree. If runecrafter has a 5% smaller rate of 82% instead of of 87%, then it looks like silver-fed is slightly better.

Which is more valuable in 6 months is going to depend a lot on the markets for ecto, symbols, and charms.

My recommendation is that if you own silver-fed already, don't buy runecrafter. And vice-versa: don't by runecrafter if you own silver-fed. Use either on masterwork & rares.If you do own both, use RC on masterwork, SF for rares

(however: keep an eye out for more data; these recs will change if it turns out that runecrafter's gives more than ~80 ecto per 100 salvages, if it gives somewhat less, and will vary with the average value of charms & symbols.

Some back of the envelope numbers for 100 rares, 80 of which include an upgrade (rough guess of rares found in the wild). Assume half armor, half weapons. For Runecrafter, we can expect 3.9*0.5 of symbols, and the same number of charms. For silver-fed, it's 80% of that.

Silver-fed: 19.6 gold

• 87 ecto @19s = 16.6 gold
  • 3.9 0.8 0.5 symbols * 1.17g average value = 1.8g
  • 3.9 0.8 0.5 charms * 1.13g average value = 1.77 g
  • Cost = 60c * 100 = 0.6g

Runecrafter: 19.8 gold

• 82 ecto @19s (reasonable guess) = 15.6
  • 3.9 1 0.5 symbols * 1.17 =2.3
  • 3.9 1 0.5 charms * 1.13 = 2.2

That's a difference of 20 silver-fed in salvaging 100 rares, which is negligible especially considering the number of assumptions made. The more rares you get without an upgrade, the better silver-fed becomes. We also don't know the actual ecto drop rate from runecrafter, which could be much less than 82, and that would make it a lot less worthwhile.