Race Change vs. New Race — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Race Change vs. New Race

The topic of both new race and race change were mentioned a million times but I'm curious - If you had to choose between these two options, which one would you pick?

I acknowledge that both of these are very improbable atm

Race Change vs. New Race 108 votes

Race Change
35%
Solori.6025Arzurag.7506Neural.1824DeanBB.4268Asztarte.2957Fantasy.5321Dragana.1497Blur.3465Llethander.3972Kelly.7019Whitworth.7259DonArkanio.6419Silv.1723wolliemonkeyboi.6481Cylokin.2560Taygus.4571Tajiseed.7831Kas.3509Jevati.4328Elspereth.1280 38 votes
New Race
64%
Ariurotl.3718Cerioth.7062Fenom.9457Rauderi.8706Glider.5792TwiceDead.1963Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864Sciger.1679BunjiKugashira.9754Perses God.4621Menzo.2185Turin.6921Agrotera.1254Tachenon.5270Musaroxy.2874Iron.4372ShiningSquirrel.3751Talek.6795Robban.1256Tsume.4762 70 votes

Comments

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

depend on the race, hardly care of largo, dwarf, tengu -funservice for gw1 players

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Race change no, because character story.
    New race, mayhaps, but highly improbably due how would it have a levelling experience, and mold into the the ls5 story

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Aodlop.1907Aodlop.1907 Member ✭✭✭
    Race Change

Race change no, because character story.

It could be done even like that. Just have us repeat the traits selection of the character creation menu, then have them auto-completed in the story journal. You may even randomize it. I don't think people who really want a race change would mind losing a bit of RP for that, else they wouldn't ask for it. And those who do care about RP just won't purchase that service, so everyone's happy.

• @DonArkanio.6419 said:
    I acknowledge that both of these are very improbable atm

Appreciate you posting the caveat upfront.
    (It can be fun and/or useful to discuss preferences even if it's unlikely to be a choice we get to make.)

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• New Race

I'm curious exactly what you mean by 'race change' and what you would want to change in what races. For example,. I think Norn would be better if they were more than large, obnoxious versions of humans, but it would cause some dissonance with the previous events to have it happen, and I certainly would not choose to make a better Norn over a chance to be a Skritt or Quaggan or something.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    I'm curious exactly what you mean by 'race change' and what you would want to change in what races. For example,. I think Norn would be better if they were more than large, obnoxious versions of humans, but it would cause some dissonance with the previous events to have it happen, and I certainly would not choose to make a better Norn over a chance to be a Skritt or Quaggan or something.

Typically, people who ask for race change have a character they've invested a lot of time in, only to discover they'd prefer them as a different race. Thus, "race change" would be changing an Asura character to Norn, Charr to Sylvari, etc. This would not affect the lore of the races, just the one character.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• New Race

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:

Typically, people who ask for race change have a character they've invested a lot of time in, only to discover they'd prefer them as a different race. Thus, "race change" would be changing an Asura character to Norn, Charr to Sylvari, etc. This would not affect the lore of the races, just the one character.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. I guess my vote stands. Personally, I'd rather be able to change professions than race...would totally swap a few of my characters.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019

Neither. Easy choice.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

New race but it's never going to happen... far too many conflicts.

The best we can hope for is more combat tonics that allow us to RP as things like Jotun or Tengu.

• Ariurotl.3718Ariurotl.3718 Member ✭✭✭
    New Race

If I absolutely had to, I'd choose a new race. If work has to be done, I'd prefer it to be something new rather than the huge heap of manhours spent on re-stitching personal story and such without anything actually new to show for it as a result.

• Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭
    Race Change

I don't think we'll ever get a new race considering the amount of armor skins Anet would have to fit on it... They couldn't even do it properly on Charr and Asura. :astonished: I would like some Charr/Asura armor adjusment before a new race, please. Not to mention some of the weirdly oversized boots/shoulders/pants on Sylvari!

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Race Change

Since I don't really want another race, I voted change. Even though I would most likely never use one.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• Kalendraf.9521Kalendraf.9521 Member ✭✭✭

Neither! - Work on adding more armors for existing races instead.

Proud to be a member of the Charter Vanguard [CV] on the Henge of Denravi

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

Neither, quite easy to just farm the gold and buy a new slot.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

Race change is a difficult to make gemstore item, while a new race is an expansion seller. Not really comparable, but a new race is easily more exciting

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

A new playable race is a fun idea, but it's not going to happen and I'm fine with that. We have lots of variety built in already. Still, if it was a simple thing - sure, that's what I'd want.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

i want a new but then, i want a truly new race, not any we already know about. (both GW and GW2)
    however, i do want a profession change token available, the one thing that doesn't affect anything.

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019
    New Race

That Dominion of Winds area sandwiched between Maguuma and Kryta suggests area for both Largos and Tengu. That would be a nice place to launch a personal story for either but starting directly at L80.

Largos can be an under-water people with +25% natural movement speed in water but poorer gliding stamina.

Tengu can have infinite gliding stamina but a lower base toughness.

Their personal story can be stand-alone, skipping forging the pact and assaulting Orr. Then, splice in at the next ex-pac.

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:
    You might want to edit your poll to include a third option for 'Neither.'

As such, I'll have to write that vote in, for reasons stated in those multiple previous threads.

True, because for every poll that is along the lines of:

If you had to choose between these options.... you obviously always have to have the clearly important third option for some people who want to not take part in the poll, but want to click something anyway.

• Or...they want the Devs to understand that a portion of the playerbase would prefer they work on something other than those 2 choices, however unlikely the choices are.

• SloRules.3560SloRules.3560 Member ✭✭✭

Neither.89

• New Race

They should do the golem at least like in the original.

• New Race

Picked this because I personally don't want to change race on any of my characters (I have only 3). A new race might entice me to make a new character. But I am fine if neither comes to pass either, unless it does not take away development time from anything else I rather have, because why not then ^^.

• Race Change

kitten I did a quick vote because I was rushing xD. New Race is very much needed in this game.

• Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

I want a new race because I like creating new characters and I've almost run out of race/class combinations.

@Anchoku.8142 said:
    That Dominion of Winds area sandwiched between Maguuma and Kryta suggests area for both Largos and Tengu. That would be a nice place to launch a personal story for either but starting directly at L80.

Largos can be an under-water people with +25% natural movement speed in water but poorer gliding stamina.

Their personal story can be stand-alone, skipping forging the pact and assaulting Orr. Then, splice in at the next ex-pac.

That goes against Anet's stand on the races being base stat equals.

• Jonii.6285Jonii.6285 Member ✭✭
    New Race

I just want one or two Awakened faces added for existing race.

• Kelly.7019Kelly.7019 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019
    Race Change

i'd like to change my vote as i realize race change would also require a gemstor purchase, plus an name change contract and a new race is prolly a 2000 gemstore purchase FREE.

• Kelly.7019Kelly.7019 Member ✭✭✭
    Race Change

@Jonii.6285 said:
    I just want one or two Awakened faces added for existing race.

isn't there a combat tonic for that?

• Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

@starhunter.6015 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:

That goes against Anet's stand on the races being base stat equals.

Arenanet reserves the right to change their mind at any time, without notice, and has done so. Also, "equal stat's" can be interpreted as equivalent stat's without contradicting previous statements.

agreed on changing their minds, but no equivalent stats do not now or ever equal stats. Specially since it is Equal "BASE" stats not equivalent base stats. Anet never wanted nor do they want Race to be a factor in choosing a race to play. A part of the reason Anet has made racial skills nearly worthless to use.

• Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Race

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Or...they want the Devs to understand that a portion of the playerbase would prefer they work on something other than those 2 choices, however unlikely the choices are.

Not everything has to be an affront to appeal for developer attention.

If anything, I'd have hoped posters that want a race change (the obvious unpopular option in the poll) would explain some reasons why they'd prefer it over a new race and maybe a discussion about problems with work-arounds could be had.

• Well, just in case the Devs do happen to read the thread...

• DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭
    Race Change

I'm personally a fan of both ideas but with more realistic approach I think that the race change would more likely to be added since the biggest issue is the personal story - not the entire sets of armors. I'd love to be able to race-swap.
    I really hope we can have something like this in the future because as people already mentioned - new race doesn't have to share the personal story of already playable ones. It can come with something of their own. About the armors and equipment - I see it this way - Add a new race with mix of its own set of armors - let's say 10 (for a starter) + 10 remade existing armors so they would fit. Succesively enlarge the amount of existing armors for new race and keep up with the new equipment.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

I'm personally a fan of both ideas but with more realistic approach I think that the race change would more likely to be added since the biggest issue is the personal story - not the entire sets of armors. I'd love to be able to race-swap.
    I really hope we can have something like this in the future because as people already mentioned - new race doesn't have to share the personal story of already playable ones. It can come with something of their own. About the armors and equipment - I see it this way - Add a new race with mix of its own set of armors - let's say 10 (for a starter) + 10 remade existing armors so they would fit. Succesively enlarge the amount of existing armors for new race and keep up with the new equipment.

But then you have the outfits, and Gem store armors/skins that players will want to use on their new race..... so right back to the issue of armor's fitting. Anything humanoid isn't much of a problem, it is creatures like Tengu and Hylek that are major issues.

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭
    Race Change

I would love to be able to change races. I acknowledge the personal story as an issue, but I would be perfectly fine with resetting and replaying my personal story, because that's really a major driver behind the race change. My human ranger main has become a bit boring with time; had I known more of the lore six years ago, he likely would be a Norn or Charr. Plus all these Hylek clogging up his home instance are getting to be a serious drag. I would love to be able to replay the core part of the personal story as a new race and change some of my choices if I could.

• Kas.3509Kas.3509 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019
    Race Change

I voted race change. Why?
    Because I'd like to get both, but not new race without race change.
    I am a "main" kind of person. I play 1 profession 95% of time (different builds and roles though) . I created sylvari at launch and then they stopped getting new hairstyles, faces etc. as humans and there was almost no new leaf armor, so I decided I want to switch to human to have more options. I was so mad when I had to level 0-80 again on the same profession. That was so boring and time consuming.
    As I am the "main" type of person I also would hate to give up my map completion etc. that are bound to my character.
    Just reset personal story progress when you switch races.

Right now, without race change, I am simply afraid to make anything else than human.

Asura and sylvari and charr, they all seem fun, but I am afraid I level one and then start having problems with little customization - like on my main, clipping etc. and I'll have to do everything from beggining once again.
    So I just go with humans all the time and feel a little regret. But this little regret is still better than the ultimate frustration on leveling and map exploring again with the same profession.

• DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭
    Race Change

@""Kas.3509"

I totally understand you. I am a main guy myself and I really hate the feeling of having this kind of empty character without PS and Map Comp. Not much time to do this stuff anymore and I'd love to be able to just swap race instead of making a whole new character with the same profession.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.