Teach me to revenant....please [Merged]

gaymer.1648

So I know with GW2 that any class can provide any roles in a given situation. There is no "healer class" and there is no "dps class" and there is no "tank class" in GW2. I also understand that certain classes perform better for different roles than other classes do (last I played the game on a regular basis Mesmer was the go-to tank for everything while ranger was the go-to for healers). I've looked on Snow Crows and on MetaBattle for help but all it lists are builds without giving suggestions or advice on what the class is better at doing. Essentially I'm looking to level my Revenant up now and although I've been told that while leveling you should do mace/axe with hammer for weapons & go full power while leveling up, there's been no advice on what would be helpful once I hit 80 and start running harder stuff than world quests & solo stuff. So I turn to you guys here for help. Is there anywhere I can go to find out what each class excels at (healer/mdps/rdps/tank) and which of the builds (power/condi/etc) are best for those things? While I'm asking here predominately for the revenant, I have other classes I'd like to level up and read up about too.

You're half right. Revenant is intended to be constantly switching its stances. This probably shines the best in the form of the Grandmaster Trait, Charged Mists, which can increase your energy to 75 if you swapped while under 10. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charged_Mists

However, it's not just about Shiro. Your other legends deal good damage too. In particular, Jalis is very useful for a number of reasons. His brick road attack can deal a massive amount on large hitbox foes. Meanwhile, the hammers are simply great aoe damage.

Later on you will unlock the elite spec "Herald", along with its legend, Glint, which can significantly boost your damage using Facet of Strength. You can also unlock the Renegade, unlocking the Kalla legend, which can significantly boost your team's DPS and grant you massive amounts of life steal.

Power Revenant is currently more of a supportive role through its ability to grant allies Boons as Herald and Renegade. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's useful in today's meta where Fury is more rare, and a Herald can literally pulse it.

If you want to do massive damage, you may want to look into condi rev instead of power.

It's a matter of practice, trial and error, and persistence. You are always going to want to be switching Legends. As mentioned, you don't need to rely on Shiro for damage. In PvE I run with Mallyx and Kalla and do just fine. In PvP/WvW I run with Glint/Shiro and I spend just as much time in Glint as I do Shiro. Overall, you don't have to spend a bunch of time in Shiro to do damage. It's more building a playstyle around optimizing your time in each Legend before the swap.

Honestly mate, it's all about your play style. While the rev is limited in the fact that he can only use the utility skills that are linked to that legend if you spec your armour and weapons to what you want to be you can do almost any "job" in the game. And whilst other classes do have their good and bad parts it's entirely down to personal play style. You want to be an elementalist who smashes people in the face with a lightning hammer? Go for it, spec for toughness and vitality and you won't be as squishy. You want to be a necro minion master? Go for it, just know that it's useless in high level dungeons and you'll need a backup build. You do what you want with your class mate. There are no "standards" or "jobs" for any of the classes, just build to boost your strengths or to cover your weaknesses. And most of all, Have Fun!

Revenant can heal if that’s what you’re into. Basically, you take salvation and devastation, and one of your legends is Ventari. You can be a herald healer or a renegade healer. Herald healing gives permanent protection, fury, strong regen, personal survivability, and decent alacrity uptime through Ventari. Renegade healing is generally better if you don’t need the extra personal tankiness, as it brings permanent protection, 25 might, perma alacrity, and huge dps boosts for the group with the Kalla elite plus the bleed summon. The main issue with renegade is that the summons affect a certain area and can be cced, so it’s better in fights without too much movement. Revenant healers have very high healing numbers, assassins presence ferocity buff, and excellent cc with staff 5 and either herald elite or Kalla stun summon. You can bring axe 5 for even more cc. It’s my favorite healing class to play so :))

@Doto.6357 said:Revenant can heal if that’s what you’re into. Basically, you take salvation and devastation, and one of your legends is Ventari. You can be a herald healer or a renegade healer. Herald healing gives permanent protection, fury, strong regen, personal survivability, and decent alacrity uptime through Ventari. Renegade healing is generally better if you don’t need the extra personal tankiness, as it brings permanent protection, 25 might, perma alacrity, and huge dps boosts for the group with the Kalla elite plus the bleed summon. The main issue with renegade is that the summons affect a certain area and can be cced, so it’s better in fights without too much movement. Revenant healers have very high healing numbers, assassins presence ferocity buff, and excellent cc with staff 5 and either herald elite or Kalla stun summon. You can bring axe 5 for even more cc. It’s my favorite healing class to play so :))

Small nitpick but never use the bleed summon as a heal renegade unless you are running a healing condi dps hybrid type of build. Razor claw is not a group buff like Sun Spirit, it scales off of the renegades condition damage stats and expertise which makes it absolutely never worth the energy cost if you are running the standard harriers heal setup. Though the Ice Razor summon is decent on a harrier build, the damage scales quite well with power and the vulnerability is quite nice for the initial ramp up at the start of a fight/phase.

• 1 year later...

@"Automaton.2751" said:Honestly mate, it's all about your play style. While the rev is limited in the fact that he can only use the utility skills that are linked to that legend if you spec your armour and weapons to what you want to be you can do almost any "job" in the game. And whilst other classes do have their good and bad parts it's entirely down to personal play style. You want to be an elementalist who smashes people in the face with a lightning hammer? Go for it, spec for toughness and vitality and you won't be as squishy. You want to be a necro minion master? Go for it, just know that it's useless in high level dungeons and you'll need a backup build. You do what you want with your class mate. There are no "standards" or "jobs" for any of the classes, just build to boost your strengths or to cover your weaknesses. And most of all, Have Fun!

I'm SO glad someone said this. It's frustrating when I hear people say things like "You need to play meta' to be effective" or "Well, you _could_ do that but it's notstandard'"! It's like they forgot why people play games in the FIRST place: F-U-N. I played WoW from early Wrath of the Lich King to past Pandaria before I quit, partially because of the continual "dumbing down" of the mechanics—making it so overly simplified that it's unrealistic and makes it impossible to suspend one's beliefs long enough to enjoy playing and partially because as a consequence of that simplification the class system and everything began feeling more like paper cut-outs than individual, bad-ass heroes, and there was no room for play-style or customization. If you even tried to do anything novel or experiment, you'd be kicked from any PUG (or even guild party) because you weren't doing "enough" DPS since you weren't specced and geared the "right" way. I've also been playing GW2 since October of last year, so I'm not necessarily a "newb" any more, but am still far from a "pro" or even having a level 80 character except for the free one you get when you buy the PoF/HoT combo pack. And there are literally dozens of other MMO(±RPGs) and have been playing online games since the days of MUDs and BBS "text adventures" before anyone even knew what the Internet was.

I don't mean to belabor the point, and I'm certainly not bragging (in fact, claiming this knowledge and experience is an easy way to age me lol >.<); I'm just trying to give a little background. See, to me, games are not about flashy graphics and 4K cut-scenes (the whole 4K thing always puzzled me because the human eye is incapable of telling the difference between even DVD and BluRay, usually, so people who are obsessed with having the "best" graphics are actually experiencing the placebo effect), nor about quickly finding the optimal way to do damage and then do the same thing over and over again, running the same instances repeatedly with no new experiences or excitement. To me, games have always been about fun and individuality. Especially MMORPGs.

The point is while it's good to be knowledgeable about the "standard" or "meta" (although I prefer not using prefixes as complete, separate words, so I don't say "meta" much, unless I'm saying "metaphysical" or something xP), to merely tie yourself down to that without ever experimenting, customizing or making the class work for you (instead of the class making you work—a good analogy for using only "meta" builds) is a fool's errand. If you want easy-to-predict results from a fight, watch Pay-per-View or watch a movie! To me, video games are supposed to be interactive and not just doing the same thing as everyone else to the point of being able to do it while you're sleeping. =)

So in summary, thanks for showing me I'm not the only one who appreciates that philosophy. =D And before I hit the Post Comment button please let me apologize to anyone who took offense to my comments. I meant NO offense whatsoever, and I absolutely humbly respect your opinions as well as mine, whether I share them or not. I just don't see my opinion (in this case) voiced very often, so I'm excited when I do—I feel more validated? Who knows. I'm not a shrink. I'm just a guy who's been up too long and is sick of choosing being stuck at home or going outside dressed like a burglar with a ninja mask on. xP And I also apologize for the long post. I love you all and wish everyone success with their toons!

bows humbly-Szubxero

@JekthAvid.1408 said:I main a power herald, which I'm told is not even close to meta for just about anything... Whatever. I'm having fun and I'm doing well! So stop telling me how to play please. ?

power shiro is how i play on pve that sword 3 sometimes hits close to 30k >_>, weh one goes rampant 2.4 power to 3.9-4k power....

• 1 month later...

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@JekthAvid.1408 said:I main a power herald, which I'm told is not even close to meta for just about anything... Whatever. I'm having fun and I'm doing well! So stop telling me how to play please. ?

power shiro is how i play on pve that sword 3 sometimes hits close to 30k >_>, weh one goes rampant 2.4 power to 3.9-4k power....

Every class can sustain over 30k damage per second against a single target under the right conditions. A skill with nearly 2 seconds total cast time doing 30k damage is very far from amazing damage.

Once roy left we all knew the direction of this class would take a nose dive, since they reverted the scourge and necromancer in some major ways they need to revert changes they've done to the weapons on revenant and some of the legends themselves (Shiro) or just overhaul and redo them. Id love for off-hand sword to go back to how it used to be with a block, and so on. Id also like staff to go back to how it was, as well hammer and heck maybe a new weapon or two~

But that wont happen because we are hated, and rather than remove the profession they will just remove any viability until its unplayable or is unfun to play and people move off of it naturally.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

Every class can sustain over 30k damage per second against a single target under the right conditions. A skill with nearly 2 seconds total cast time doing 30k damage is very far from amazing damage.

Oh didnt know that... i rarelly pve but i can kill targets much faster than most builds ic,ToT tough was using a very good build (game was actually stupodly easy due how mobs were dying), this on pve plebs zones, not raids nor fractals i dont have time for that.