Musical Instrument Issues Since Nov. 26 Patch [Merged]

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

Therefore, given those numbers, not including the numbers from players who own instruments outside of Musician Guilds, and not including the fact a decent portion of instruments were likely not bought at the cheap Gold to Gems ratio of 1:5, the instruments should be treated as a priority.

I think you underestimate the number of people who don't own any instruments and who are affected by other stuff.I agree with you that this is worth fixing. I just hope you can see how it's only blocking for a fraction of players, not enough to disrupt the development process.

Money spent talks, b.s. walks, regardless of what numbers are behind other issues. Why? Because it costs money that comes from us who buy from the Gem Store to fix those 'other' big issues you speak of. It is that simple.

Of all Gem Store items, the instruments have been broken most, and the whole point of making a big deal about this is to help prevent it from happening again. If you re-wrote and shared well over 300 pieces of music for the GW2 community to enjoy like I have that are currently not working because Anet's team keeps breaking the instruments, you would likely be annoyed at the moment as well. Many of us paid for our instruments out-of-pocket, as we do with all Gem Store items, to be fair, and so we buy these products and expect them to be 'working' immediately if/when somebody on Anet's team breaks them.

There is an old George Carlin line that goes, quote, "I'm not concerned about all Hell breaking loose, but that a part of Hell will break loose... It'll be much harder to detect." end quote

I have looked through the lens of the mathematical viewpoint you and the majority look through and entertain when it comes to bigger numbers behind certain issues vs. smaller numbers behind certain other issues, and I understand it, yet just because a particular issue is within the minority does not make it any lesser an issue just because only a minority of people feel the adverse affects from something the majority does note quite understand and/or refuses to want to fully acknowledge.

In this case, a part of Hell has broke loose over the instruments being broken, and the issue is sadly harder to detect (given the point you gave me) and swept under the carpet just because a smaller number of people have stood up and raised their voice about it.

Sure, we as musicians are a small bunch in the GW2 community, yet it only takes one musician to entertain a big crowd that in turn benefits the majority as a source of entertainment, and there are several hundreds of us in the GW2 musician community.

It takes just one small pebble to make a ripple in the ocean; a single person therefore does not have to be like a meteorite to have an affect on many other people with the skills and the entertainment they bring. That is why fixing the instruments sooner (to me) is a big deal, whether or not this issue gets addressed sooner given my take on the matter.

@Dante.1763 said:but if it a fix isnt found i wouldnt be to surprised.

Rest assured, a fix will be found (just not soon enough for us musicians), because the instruments worked just fine before. Not only that, this is certainly not the first time Anet's team has had to fix the instruments. I really hope after a fix for the instruments does get implemented that the cause of the issue be briefly explained.

Hello everyone! I too am saddened this has not been fixed yet, although Valdrimari did point out a bigger issue with the instruments that severely needs the attention of Anet. I don't log onto the forums very often, but I felt I needed to show some support to the situation and would like to thank Valdrimari for providing those important details on the cooldowns for the devs to understand. I am a huge fan of the instruments in-game and spend hours each week playing them. I think it is unique for a game to have dedicated communities and groups solely for composing music on the instruments. It really is neat and I love it, but it needs some work. A tiny bit of attention from the devs would really be appreciated by many of us. And Valdrimari, I personally can't wait to hear new compositions on the new website! Good luck with everything!

@Eidolonemesis.5640 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:but if it a fix isnt found i wouldnt be to surprised.

Rest assured, a fix will be found (just not soon enough for us musicians), because the instruments worked just fine before. Not only that, this is certainly
not
the first time Anet's team has had to fix the instruments. I really hope after a fix for the instruments does get implemented that the cause of the issue be briefly explained.

That "if a fix isnt found i wouldnt be to surprised" was in regards to a fix being found in time for this upcoming tuesdays update. Yes a fix will be found in time, and honestly it could be an issue in the code so small they wont bother mentioning what the issue was.

Ever since the Nov. 26th Patch released, the instruments have been broken, and there is not one mention of a fix for them in the Dec. 11th Patch notes that released today.

Please fix the instruments, and please have your team in charge of the instruments make each note have their own cooldown vs. each note sharing the same global cooldown on every other octave (as if they are being treated as the same skill). Global cooldown on instruments notes has been an issue for quite some time now.

Please, and thank you.

@Dante.1763 said:Fix probably hasnt been easy to track down, hence no fix for this patch.

Except Anet's broken the instruments at least 5 other times since their release, hence, the team should know how to re-fix the issue by now. Every other Gem Store item works fine without fail, yet the instruments somehow get broken more than any other item in the Gem Store. It's just really frustrating after so many times the instruments get broke, that's all.

• 3 weeks later...

Good thing i found this Thread i went a bit crazy trying to fix me getting into the music macros with my silly bell but they werent working as well...hope this gets fixed i was interested in getting the harp and the lute but not so much now...

ty Gaile for giving a notice about this

pd: any workaround while this is being fixed?

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Hey folks,

I moved comments from the GW2 Discussion subforum to this Bugs subforum, and merged the threads. I have reached out to our QA and Audio Teams on this topic, after checking the Known Issue Tracker. However, as others have pointed out, there are key parameters for a hot fix to which an instrument issue would not conform. The teams are aware of your concerns, though, and thanks for sharing the details.

Will we get fix on the next patch? being aware of our concerns is not enough. We need you guys to fix it, but not in 5 or 6 months.You guys need the fix on the next patch.Thanks.

My songs on the harp have been sounding crazy ever since the Wintersday update. It feels like there is more of a delay between switching octaves that is not present in other instruments. I've tried the bell with like songs and they feel and sound correct it is just the Harp that I am having troubles with.

I was thinking maybe it had something to do with Wintersday and the bell choir but that is now come to pass and the harp is still not switching octaves properly. I have asked a few of my friends if they have noticed the delay and they confirmed my suspicions.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Hitman.5829 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Hey folks,

I moved comments from the GW2 Discussion subforum to this Bugs subforum, and merged the threads. I have reached out to our QA and Audio Teams on this topic, after checking the Known Issue Tracker. However, as others have pointed out, there are key parameters for a hot fix to which an instrument issue would not conform. The teams are aware of your concerns, though, and thanks for sharing the details.

Will we get fix on the next patch? being aware of our concerns is not enough. We need you guys to fix it, but not in 5 or 6 months.You guys need the fix on the next patch.Thanks.

I am sorry, but I don't know anything more. I have asked QA and the Sound Team if they have any information to share, or questions to ask. I hope one of the team members will be able to update this thread soon.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Excursion.9752 said:My songs on the harp have been sounding crazy ever since the Wintersday update. It feels like there is more of a delay between switching octaves that is not present in other instruments. I've tried the bell with like songs and they feel and sound correct it is just the Harp that I am having troubles with.

I was thinking maybe it had something to do with Wintersday and the bell choir but that is now come to pass and the harp is still not switching octaves properly. I have asked a few of my friends if they have noticed the delay and they confirmed my suspicions.

Hi,

I'm going to merge your concerns into an existing thread about reported issues with musical instruments.

@Excursion.9752 said:My songs on the harp have been sounding crazy ever since the Wintersday update. It feels like there is more of a delay between switching octaves that is not present in other instruments. I've tried the bell with like songs and they feel and sound correct it is just the Harp that I am having troubles with.

could you tell how much is the delay in ms on the octave changes? i think a find and replace using text editor can be done as a workaround while this is being worked around

I doubt it is even possible to change the macros site without manually rewriting all the music in the archive unless you are fine with music that is changing beat all the time. But since this issue is now known to Anet and apparently not WAI there is a good chance for a fix.

We have waited and we have waited long enough for your team to fix the instruments. Since the instruments broke, I have noticed less activity and sociability in the major cities. Music is what helps bring people together.

Please fix the in-game instruments. Me and a web developer who also helped develop lolskill.net need the in-game instruments working in order to run certain tests to test the AHK output files from our test environment. We were running tests last year, yet the instruments broke, so now development of the new music site has been put on hold.

Like someone else pointed out, and I quote, "If you try to go from the lowest octave to the highest or vice versa , two quick presses of '9' or '0' by default, only one of the inputs gets read. The minimum time needed between inputs of the same key has been 'increased'." end quote

The time needs to be 'decreased' to allow for quicker response time (preferably set to a value that is a little quicker than before the instruments broke) , and it should not take this long to adjust a numeric value somewhere in the code to fix the issue.

Please fix the instrument issue. Thank you.Valdrimari (former member of gw2mb)

Came here looking for an update on this only to be disappointed.... again.

It is a gem store item mostly except for the one free that was given for free when novelties were introduced. I even went as far as making a The Minstrel to get the legendary sound/skin for the harp and now I barely even use it. It is starting to frustrate me a great deal. This was first mentioned in November and now its February. It will not be to long till people start wanting their gems back.