How was creating Episode 5? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How was creating Episode 5?

I'm really interested in anything you may want to share :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Accepted Answer

I'm really proud and really grateful that we fought hard to push the boundaries of what we can do cinematographically (say that five times fast, haha) with gameplay. It was a fun challenge to tackle with the extensive collaboration of many people beyond the Cinematics team, especially Design, Audio, and Tools. The end result is, in my humble and probably biased opinion, something quite different and compelling.

I won't discuss any particulars though, as this post doesn't have the [SPOILERS] tag, haha.

Thank you for your question!

Da-Hee Im
    Cinematics Animator

• All these answers are amazing! You really all did a great job on the episode and I'm glad to see you're happy with it too!
    I'd write more about how I loved the episode but I already did here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/793260#Comment_793260
    But I guess one more won't hurt, GREAT JOB LADS!

• Working on the three instance maps was super fun! I would swap between the first and last maps often because they both had drastically different moods and color palettes.

The final boss and scenes were also challenging. Getting the feel just right of all the emotional beats we wanted was difficult but I think we nailed it! At least the reactions from today say that we did.

• Accepted Answer

Collaborating with this team was a joy and a delight. There was a lot of shutting ourselves into a room and working and laughing. More on Friday!

Lily Yu
    Narrative Designer

• Gambit.9501Gambit.9501 Member ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019

@Andrew Gray.5816 said:

@TrinitySK.6713 said:
    I guess one more won't hurt, GREAT JOB LADS!

And ladies. :)

But honestly, thanks a lot. I don't like to call this job "hard work" because I'm not, like...in a salt mine all day or something, but it can certainly be taxing and stressful. Seeing your guys' reactions after every release is always reinvigorating. This is what we do it for.

Don't sell yourself short. Mental labor is no less a test of endurance than physical labor is. And frankly, in my opinion, that misconception needs to go die in a fire anyways. Simply put, y'all do good work.

• @Gambit.9501 said:

@Andrew Gray.5816 said:

@TrinitySK.6713 said:
    I guess one more won't hurt, GREAT JOB LADS!

And ladies. :)

But honestly, thanks a lot. I don't like to call this job "hard work" because I'm not, like...in a salt mine all day or something, but it can certainly be taxing and stressful. Seeing your guys' reactions after every release is always reinvigorating. This is what we do it for.

Don't sell yourself short. Mental labor is no less a test of endurance than physical labor is. And frankly, in my opinion, that misconception needs to go die in a fire anyways. Simply put, y'all do good work.

True, but I'd still prefer having a headache from too much thinking then black lung from being in the coal mines too much.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.