Place your bets. Is ________ (massive spoiler) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Place your bets. Is ________ (massive spoiler)

Daniel Handler.4816Daniel Handler.4816 Member ✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2019 in Lore

Aurene really/permanently dead?

Place your bets. Is ________ (massive spoiler) 204 votes

Yes
25%
maddoctor.2738vier.1327Dondarrion.2748Crono.4197Randulf.7614Kyrel.8942Fleebag.1384MetalGirl.2370yoni.7015Sznurek.8791The Greyhawk.9107Eros.6801rynoxlordofblades.3096KrivukasLT.3507asterix.9614orisci.6527Narcemus.1348hugo.4705Kumouta.4985james.5087 52 votes
No
74%
Cerioth.7062Chadramar.8156aandiarie.7195PlaviGmaz.2978shadowfanatik.5160Krispera.5087Jethro.9376SidewayS.3789derd.6413Fleabite.7528Glider.5792starhunter.6015cNd.1096Curunen.8729BunjiKugashira.9754Arden.7480Ayrilana.1396Mea.5491Agrotera.1254ViolentMuffin.9573 152 votes
<1

Comments

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

nope, the Great Immortal King Joko lives in her! Then she's gonna regen herself soon.

"It's a testament to the folly of the humans and their gods. They say Arah was sacred, but all I see is one big dragon nest."(Rytlock Brimstone)

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

I wouldn’t be surprised if Aurene eating Joko would cause her to come back to life. They also mentioned a prophecy as well, with Joko being killed as one of the omens or something.

• No

After that heaping helping of immortal lich magic, I doubt she'll stay dead.

Prince of Angels - Disney Prince with a Horrifying Power

• No

Dunno if it'd be from the "helping of immortal lich magic" given that all previous indications showed that magic doesn't work like that (if it did, there'd be no "Elder Crystal Dragon" "Elder Death Dragon" etc. as the Elder Dragons wouldn't only eat their specific kind of magic, and we know they haven't either). But the plot pretty much rests on a scion of Glint saving the day, and has built up Aurene as that scion, especially since the only other scion was Vlast.

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    Dunno if it'd be from the "helping of immortal lich magic" given that all previous indications showed that magic doesn't work like that (if it did, there'd be no "Elder Crystal Dragon" "Elder Death Dragon" etc. as the Elder Dragons wouldn't only eat their specific kind of magic, and we know they haven't either). But the plot pretty much rests on a scion of Glint saving the day, and has built up Aurene as that scion, especially since the only other scion was Vlast.

What is very interesting though is in the final mission, Kralkatorrik charges up that attack, that Braham blocks, which showed energy from Mordremoth, Zhaitan and Balthazar (as shown in icon form) Kralkatorrik doesn’t seem to show any signs of using the magic that Balthazar took from Primordus and Jormag. Perhaps when Balthazar absorbed the magic it no longer was dragon energy and became god energy, maybe? Given that Kralkatorrik and Aurene both gained Mist travelling abilities from Balthazar, there might be an opening for Aurene to have gained Joko’s immortality.

• No

@Tyson.5160 said:

What is very interesting though is in the final mission, Kralkatorrik charges up that attack, that Braham blocks, which showed energy from Mordremoth, Zhaitan and Balthazar (as shown in icon form) Kralkatorrik doesn’t seem to show any signs of using the magic that Balthazar took from Primordus and Jormag. Perhaps when Balthazar absorbed the magic it no longer was dragon energy and became god energy, maybe? Given that Kralkatorrik and Aurene both gained Mist travelling abilities from Balthazar, there might be an opening for Aurene to have gained Joko’s immortality.

Balthazar always used his signature fire magic, so it's likely that Balthazar changed the magic and that change allowed Kralkatorrik and Aurene to get that style of magic. But Balthazar was also not quite following Tyrian magic laws either. Why they could use Balthazar's magic, and had the feeling of him as Zafirah notes, depends really on the nature of the gods and their divinity.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

so...... what's the wager???

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    By this, I have two theories:

1. Aurene's body died, but she pulled a Mordremoth and transferred her mind into a new body. Caithe lost the connection because, unlike Mordremoth, Aurene's far weaker and needed all her strength to pull this off. We'll start Episode 6 with contact from Caithe feeling the connection again.
    2. Aurene did die. Not to say she'll pull a resurrection, but something will happen where her death was Just According to Keikaku. Ascension into an Elder Dragon actually requires death.

Basically this.

Anet isn't just going to kill Aurene off after all the time we put into the story unless Aurene is either still alive, or comes back.

• Ronin.7381Ronin.7381 Member ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019

I do think her rebirth will have something to do with Joko. That ending was so anti-climatic given his speech and so much time was focused on him. It just seems like bad writing format for them to just off a character that was so pivotal since Mordremoth. Although, they did off Lazarus like he was no big deal so as much as I want to believe otherwise - there's still a chance a bad writing.

We've come a long way and in a way, they butchered the Elder Dragons IMHO. Ever since HoT, they've tried to humanize them which I felt was a mistake and what spiraled this focus into ridding Tyria of them and moving forward so the next Expansion will have nothing to do with them.

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

Given that there were prophecies up to this point, Aurene's death seems likely to be part of "the plan" for defeating Kraalk which we are not privy to. As far as the mechanics of how this leads to victory and a replacement Elder Dragon, who knows. Could be Joko's magic, as he was part of the prophecy, and we don't really know the nature of his magic -- dragons don't necessarily convert all types of magic to their own, or we wouldn't have death-branded this and that or a super Balth attack. Could be that Joko stole divine magic to create the Awakened, in which case it could persist.

Other options: Could be Mordremoth's body switch, using Caithe as the host. Though that would be hard to pull off given the "willing connection" characterization.

Could be more of a Chrono Trigger thing -- maybe Glint was having a conversation with Aurene about where little doppelgangers come from, and she pulled a switcheroo (though any explanation that involves her not actually being dead would also require that she severed her link with Caithe et al).

Regardless, I think Aurene will be back (if only because our fancy new mastery is technically powered by our bond with her). Plus, we're pretty much at the point of no return. Kraalkatorik is too powerful to survive another episode, but we need a dragon in play to replace it.

• No

@perilisk.1874 said:
    Plus, we're pretty much at the point of no return. Kraalkatorik is too powerful to survive another episode, but we need a dragon in play to replace it.

Plot twist: Vlast didn't actually die and explode. He faked his death. No body was ever found.

All Hail Vlast, the Elder Crystal Dragon!

• Tiny Doom.4380Tiny Doom.4380 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

Yes, she's dead. In as much as anything or anyone in GW2 is ever dead, which is to say not at all. The deep, underlying problem is that we all know now that nothing is forever in this world. Ogden even jokes about in this chapter. We literally go to see a dead dwarf and he's standing right there, waiting for us, and not only that but, although he died before we were even born, he knows who we are and what we've been up to. And then he makes a joke about how boring it is being dead!

The player character has been dead and got better! MOre than half our allies in this fight are dead (ghosts, awakened) but they all act and talk as though being dead is exactly the same as being alive. Which, in this world, it is! At least in terms of continuity of existence. The details may change but the essence remains the same.

I wonder why we even imagine Zhaitan and Mordremoth are dead. Don't dragons get ghosts, too? Glint certainly might as well still be alive, the way she pops in to tell us what to do next. I think it's a total narrative dead end. It no longer matters whether any character lives or dies because death in GW2 is only a flesh wound.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

It's not my bet, it's my hope.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• PseudoNewb.5468PseudoNewb.5468 Member ✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019
    Yes

In the words of Kormir, "No. Yes... And much more".

We never understood how reforging a dragon would look. Nor did we actually have a mold large enough to do so. But that was our plan right? We would melt the dragon, which the tuning crystals do, and we hit him with them a bunch. Once molten.... I guess we figured something would happen, not sure exactly what, but Aurene seemed to agree with the plan.

One thing I remember from science, is if you put a crystal in a disorganized, molten or otherwise un-bound form of it's base materials, the unbound materials can grow off of the added crystals and re-from into the same pattern as the seed crystal. There is no mold large enough to hold the power of Kralkatoric, and I doubt that so much power could be forcefully shaped anyways. Lets say crystal science works in the case of a crystal god's mind, if whatever we mollified inside of Kralk's head where seeded with say another crystal to our liking, say Aurene's crystalline self, it could mean something fairly significant, even if Kralks body remains intact.

I felt like the 'cheeriness' of how everything was coming together was a feint. But this is probably the severity of this failure is a feint too.... Well i mean, I think a lot of people died, but reforging a dragon, ascension, is undoubtedly messy.... but what we did was mostly successful. We've tempered the steel, I believe Aurene has seeded the structure. But now what? Oh yeah, forging. etc. ect, we have to quench whatever we forged... You know, The Commander did that with the first set of spears by pulling a lever. The Commander did a very good job pulling that lever, perhaps it should be done again sometime, maybe in the next episode.

So who, uhm, has a huge quantity of magical oil? We are going to need a lot of it. I mean an ocean's worth of it... Now how do you get a confused elder dragon to take a bath?

• I hope she's dead because I don't want to have gone through the emotional topsy-turvy of 4.5 to find that it didn't mean anything.
    But if the Commander can die and be not dead (and not undead), if Rurik could return, if Shiro came back, then sure, why not? It seems like the kind of thing ANet would do.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I hope she's dead because I don't want to have gone through the emotional topsy-turvy of 4.5 to find that it didn't mean anything.
    But if the Commander can die and be not dead (and not undead), if Rurik could return, if Shiro came back, then sure, why not? It seems like the kind of thing ANet would do.

Well, they could have her come back at the end of the next episode AFTER we finish Kralk. Perhaps Glint will speak to us and tell us to keep pursuing Kralk despite the lack of a magic absorbing back up because she has a plan? And then at the end Aurene comes back to life just to absorb the magic and ascend. That we the ending of this episode and her death gives us that much more fuel to make sure that it wasn’t for nothing. I think that might be my best scenario. Finishing him off at his original location in the homelands and then for the past part of the episode we deal with the “aftermath” i.e. Aurene ascending and she kind of sets off on her own thing after we catch up with her and witness her ascension. Whether that be hibernating with presumably no current dragon threat on the table or a vision hinting at the plot of season 5. So we have the somber beginning and a non cliche-at-this-point life or death cliffhanger ending that really finishes up the Kralk plot and this season overall.

I’m just really not a fan of having another season devoted to Kralk, and really want Aurene to be back even if she doesn’t fit the same sidekick role she does now. Just a nice peaceful elder dragon in some enchanted forest looking zone somewhere where we can go and visit her when we need to. Lol

On a side note I feel like they’ve added a lot of Aztec/Mayan things to the game recently that make me think they’re adding a lot of those assets behind the scenes. Like the new legendary scepter and the gecko Springer mount. They just seemed really random to me and I can’t help but wonder if we’re going to be seeing a Tengu tie in soon. Or maybe the expansion or next living season will be dealing with some new area themed around those. Not to mention the new Siren fractal has those ruins which don’t really look like any other ruins in the game, at least the head gate thing. Just get the impression that these aren’t completely thematically random. Also, seen a lot of assets this season that would look great in a Canthan based expansion.

• Castigator.3470Castigator.3470 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

@cptaylor.2670 said:
    Well, they could have her come back at the end of the next episode AFTER we finish Kralk. Perhaps Glint will speak to us and tell us to keep pursuing Kralk despite the lack of a magic absorbing back up because she has a plan? And then at the end Aurene comes back to life just to absorb the magic and ascend.

This might actually work. Remember, we need elder dragons to absorb magic, otherwise the magic punches a hole into reality. Kralkatorrik was able to punch holes into the Mists and back. Aurene is likely to be somewhere inside the Mists right now, so if we punch the right hole, we could get her back.
    I'm curious about another thing, though. Since Kralkatorrik is now at ~30% health, he might be too weakened to be able to brand more land or open new rifts, which could give the time needed to hunt him down. And then we crash Tyria.

• No

I bet my 2 cent she isn't dead, or better, she will come back.
    i think like Rytlock became a revenant channeling Glint power for first time, Glint will teach to aurene perma-channeling her power.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019
    No

I was predicting a loss and i'm glad we got one.

It's not entirely how I thought it was going to end, I wasn't actually expecting Aurine to die although I can't see it being permanent since we've already established that Kralkatorrik cannot be destroyed without being replaced.

Aurine is the only being we know of who can achieve this goal and I hightly doubt Anet will settle with building Aurine up since living world season 2 which is the first appearance of her egg only to have her die now and fail in the one thing she was born to do and that the entire Glint's legacy is based on.
    She'll be back.. she can't die off like this, if she is perma dead then Kralkatorrik more or less becomes invincible.
    Plot armor dictates Aurine cannot stay dead and Kralkatorrik cannot be invincible.

I've seen people say things like she'll fight in the mists.. die and become an Elder dragon or transfered her mind elsewhere etc but I prefer a far more simple solution which Anet has been showcasing us for a while now which some have overlooked.

Kralkatorrik can brand the dead.. and we see in this very patch that they've already made a Branded Aurine model and I don't think we've seen the last of it.

We've significantly hurt Kralkatorrik after this latest battle and I expect that he'll take some time to recover now that we've blown a hole in his face and kitten near killed him.
    Aurine is no longer a threat to him and neither are we without her.. add to that he lost his Death Branded Shatterer in Jahai as well so he's currently absent of a champion as well.

I predict that Kralkatorrik will seek to recover from this battle and he will brand and revive Aurine as his new champion at the end of the next episode to continue his destruction while he rests.
    I expect Kralkatorrik may go into a sleep like state for the duration of living world 6 and Aurine will be the main focus, specifically repelling her attacks and trying to find a way to save her.. killing her will not be an option as we still need her to replace Kralkatorrik.
    This leads us into seeking out and tracking down the Forgotten who are currently believed to be extinct in the desperate hope that they may be able to help us break Aurines corruption and free her just like they did for Glint a very long time ago.. and also capturing Aurine to perform the ritual that will free her.

This will be a very interesting thing to see since we have never seen this process in the Guildwars franchsie and only heard about it yet it remains a very mysterious event we know little about.
    The forgotten too are a very facinating race that many fans like myself have long been wanting to see in Gw2.
    I expect once we've freed Aurine, Kralkatorrik will once again awaken to deal with the threat of a bigger and stronger Aurine who's been empowered with his own magic after being branded.
    And the next time we fight that monster.. he's going to die.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019
    No

about Aurene death as part of a "big plan":

"It's a testament to the folly of the humans and their gods. They say Arah was sacred, but all I see is one big dragon nest."(Rytlock Brimstone)

• brenda.9723brenda.9723 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

A lot of GW2 characters that get a lot of attention in the story die and never return. It is something that sadly really hurts the possible story arcs, but the writers still like to do this. FE:Caudecus, Lazarus, Joko, Blish, Balthazar. The only characters that seemed to escape this are in DE and DW. Aurene is just the last victim to this "a good story is when you dare to kill your characters" trend.

I hope she is not revived next episode. BC next episode is likely created by team 3, who is narratively the weakest team. They will not be able to create a good story arc where aurene comes back.

• Chadramar.8156Chadramar.8156 Member ✭✭✭
    No

She BETTER not be! She's one of the few current NPCs I liked, and it would be BS to have built her up as the one hope only to kebab her like that.

No

I'm coming around to thinking that the Joko theory is mostly the right one, mostly because they actually went to the trouble of answering the question "can dragon minions be awakened" by putting an Awakened Sylvari in the last instance.

Though it could be a combination of two things -- maybe she had go to the Mists as a spirit to gain the power needed to defeat Kraalkatorik (possibly to do something related to ascension or learning to use the divine magic at her disposal) , but also had to be alive to be able to fulfill her role as a scion (that is, if ghost dragons could replace elder dragons, glint would have still been a candidate for replacing Kraalkatorik all this time). Which is sort of a catch-22, unless you die and then come back.

• ThatOddOne.4387ThatOddOne.4387 Member ✭✭✭
    No

She doesn't have Divine magic at her disposal and neither does Kralkatorrik.

edited January 9, 2019
    No

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:
    She doesn't have Divine magic at her disposal and neither does Kralkatorrik.

Well, maybe not in the sense of whatever it means to be one of the Six. But whatever Balthazar was and whatever magic he had, is still discernible inside her, as separate from her own crystal magic, according to the priestess.

On something of a side note: Some people have complained that PoF was a beat-for-beat retelling of Nightfall (considering that nothing got turned into Fissue of Woe on Tyria, not exactly, but I get the complaint.).

But the whole PoF+LS4 is starting to feel like a little like GW1 as a whole. Basically, it's a three-villain show. The lich, the dishonored warrior who likes to fight us one on one and kick our butts, and the final one, the incomprehensibly powerful being who is reshaping reality and has to be replaced by our NPC buddy, with Glint's prophecies sending us down a convoluted path to victory (along the way, someone loses an eye or two). It's not exactly the same -- here it's Tyria threatening the Mists rather than the other way around, and Balth and Joko weren't guided by Kraalk. But, still. Of course, that means we should call the war god Balthiro, not Balthaddon...

edited January 9, 2019
    No

deleted. 2char

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

Did you notice that Kralkotorrik was devoid of magic as he pulled away...none visible at all...no Brand storm, nothing...personally I think he released what little magic he had left and Aurene actually used that take over his body(while hiding her connection with Caithe so she could heal)...now that would be a twist.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• No

@perilisk.1874 said:
    I'm coming around to thinking that the Joko theory is mostly the right one, mostly because they actually went to the trouble of answering the question "can dragon minions be awakened" by putting an Awakened Sylvari in the last instance.

Though it could be a combination of two things -- maybe she had go to the Mists as a spirit to gain the power needed to defeat Kraalkatorik (possibly to do something related to ascension or learning to use the divine magic at her disposal) , but also had to be alive to be able to fulfill her role as a scion (that is, if ghost dragons could replace elder dragons, glint would have still been a candidate for replacing Kraalkatorik all this time). Which is sort of a catch-22, unless you die and then come back.

Perhaps the spikes through her body are preventing her from regenerating.

• No

I didn't read all of the comments so this may have already been said.

Glint sent Aurene to learn about Ascension. Glint sent you to learn how everything started. Glint then tells you that Aurene must do something that is going to be very hard for her. She makes it clear that Aurene needs to be able to count on you to get her through it. I think that what Aurene learned is that to Ascend she has to die. Think about it, what is harder than knowing that you are going to die and doing what needs to be done anyways? That is why she needs you, to give her the strength to do what must be done, knowing that you have her back. I believe that Aurene is going to Ascend and return to help us take Kralk down once and for all.

• No

@Teratus.2859 said:
    I was predicting a loss and i'm glad we got one.

It's not entirely how I thought it was going to end, I wasn't actually expecting Aurine to die although I can't see it being permanent since we've already established that Kralkatorrik cannot be destroyed without being replaced.

Aurine is the only being we know of who can achieve this goal and I hightly doubt Anet will settle with building Aurine up since living world season 2 which is the first appearance of her egg only to have her die now and fail in the one thing she was born to do and that the entire Glint's legacy is based on.
    She'll be back.. she can't die off like this, if she is perma dead then Kralkatorrik more or less becomes invincible.
    Plot armor dictates Aurine cannot stay dead and Kralkatorrik cannot be invincible.

I've seen people say things like she'll fight in the mists.. die and become an Elder dragon or transfered her mind elsewhere etc but I prefer a far more simple solution which Anet has been showcasing us for a while now which some have overlooked.

Kralkatorrik can brand the dead.. and we see in this very patch that they've already made a Branded Aurine model and I don't think we've seen the last of it.

We've significantly hurt Kralkatorrik after this latest battle and I expect that he'll take some time to recover now that we've blown a hole in his face and kitten near killed him.
    Aurine is no longer a threat to him and neither are we without her.. add to that he lost his Death Branded Shatterer in Jahai as well so he's currently absent of a champion as well.

I predict that Kralkatorrik will seek to recover from this battle and he will brand and revive Aurine as his new champion at the end of the next episode to continue his destruction while he rests.
    I expect Kralkatorrik may go into a sleep like state for the duration of living world 6 and Aurine will be the main focus, specifically repelling her attacks and trying to find a way to save her.. killing her will not be an option as we still need her to replace Kralkatorrik.
    This leads us into seeking out and tracking down the Forgotten who are currently believed to be extinct in the desperate hope that they may be able to help us break Aurines corruption and free her just like they did for Glint a very long time ago.. and also capturing Aurine to perform the ritual that will free her.

This will be a very interesting thing to see since we have never seen this process in the Guildwars franchsie and only heard about it yet it remains a very mysterious event we know little about.
    The forgotten too are a very facinating race that many fans like myself have long been wanting to see in Gw2.
    I expect once we've freed Aurine, Kralkatorrik will once again awaken to deal with the threat of a bigger and stronger Aurine who's been empowered with his own magic after being branded.
    And the next time we fight that monster.. he's going to die.

This is an interesting theory. I like it!

• No

@brenda.9723 said:
    Aurene is just the last victim to this "a good story is when you dare to kill your characters" trend.

The problem, as mentioned above, is that the narrative so far is that we cannot kill Kralkatorrik without a dragon to replace him. If Aurene is dead for good, there's nothing to do except await destruction. Killing Kralkatorrik without her just means it happens in a different manner.

• No

@brenda.9723 said:
    I hope she is not revived next episode. BC next episode is likely created by team 3, who is narratively the weakest team. They will not be able to create a good story arc where aurene comes back.

Huh? What are you talking about? Isn't there one team of writers?

• Abraxxus.8971Abraxxus.8971 Member ✭✭✭

@ViolentMuffin.9573 said:

@brenda.9723 said:

Huh? What are you talking about? Isn't there one team of writers?

There are 3 teams working on different LW episodes.

• Sajuuk Khar.1509Sajuuk Khar.1509 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019

@Abraxxus.8971 said:

Three teams make the maps, and events, and such for LW episodes, but writing isn't done in a bubble where each team just does whatever they want.

The narrative is decided by the company/writing staff as a whole.

• I'm going to say... no?

From the moment we got the vision that showed no other possibility, my first thought was "well, that's okay, because we don't know the context of this happening to Aurene, and that makes all the difference." They also have Caithe go out of her way to say that Aurene is gone. This seems to confirm that Aurene is dead (even to Caithe), but there are a lot of ways to have Aurene leave behind her body or her connection to Caithe in a world like this.

In what way Aurene will remain, however, I can't guess. My initial thought when playing the chapter was that her mind entered Kralkatorrik's body (somewhat like Snaff, but not exactly). Since reading about it, however, I can imagine other possibilities. People have brought up how we never heard what Aurene did about Ascension (at the time, I forgot about the Ascension we know about, and was assuming Glint meant ascending into the role of an Elder Dragon, but perhaps that might be relevant in some way). Others have also brought up Aurene eating Joko, and the game certainly made a big point out of that when it happened.

What I'm more interested in is whether we're going to see a character suddenly sporting an eyepatch after this chapter. ;P

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭
    No

my dragon to English translator has Aureine saying to Krackletoes “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.”
    We have no idea what thing that could only be understood between dragons was. perhaps dyeing is part of the process to becoming a elder dragon replacement, however if she is dead that makes things interesting from the perspective that if you look at Teq. Dragon Champions become more powerful when there "master" dies and we were Aureine's Champion perhaps the new elite specs in the next ex-pack will reflect this allowing us to embody the rage of the fall of our beloved hatching.

or it could just get sappy and Asura tech is brought into the picture and we get Mecha - Aureine XD

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019
    No

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Abraxxus.8971 said:

Three teams make the maps, and events, and such for LW episodes, but writing isn't done in a bubble where each team just does whatever they want.

The narrative is decided by the company/writing staff as a whole.

It was. There were some people who worked on multiple teams, but it wasn't done "as a whole" except arguably the overall story direction / initial planning of each season, which while it'd likely include the death and return of Aurene, would still mean that individual episodes have different quality of writing. And it's pretty blatantly obviously so with Season 3 and the first half of Season 4 - the third team (Bitterfrost Frontier, Siren's Landing, Domain of Kourna) has been overall the lowest quality, narratively and map design-wise.

That said, they did reorganize things during late development of Episode 3, causing it to be delayed, and it seems that some of the restructuring involved the narrative team. How much is unclear.

Besides, you make it sound like the story is written independently from the maps and the like, when it isn't.

• Yes

I believe Aurene is dead now but not permanently, I believe we will see her again. What I am curious about though is, Kralkatorrik delivered that death blow to her and killed her off as he desired, but why did he leave the commander? Obviously we are needed to make the story go in, but would he not be aware the commander has been present killing off his brethren Elder Dragons. The commander lay wounded there, his brand corruption destroyed Queen's but then he retreats - albeit wounded himself - leaving the commander weakened... to return and avenge her most likely. Why not finish us off when he had already killed Aurene, surely he could take the time to be thorough and ensure all threats to him were eliminated?

Because if Kralk doesn't ressurect her as a corrupted champion, the commander and co. will find a way to bring her back and fight him again.

Vàsher (Grd), Bondsmith Yharnam (Eng), Mistress Glaive (War), Hasla the Huntress (Rng), Seaguard Hala (Mes)
    Northerner @ Dragon Season (DS) | Winter's Talon Reborn (WT) | The Seaguard (SG)
    Seafarer's Rest (SFR) since launch!

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

@Dondarrion.2748 said:
    I believe Aurene is dead now but not permanently, I believe we will see her again. What I am curious about though is, Kralkatorrik delivered that death blow to her and killed her off as he desired, but why did he leave the commander? Obviously we are needed to make the story go in, but would he not be aware the commander has been present killing off his brethren Elder Dragons. The commander lay wounded there, his brand corruption destroyed Queen's but then he retreats - albeit wounded himself - leaving the commander weakened... to return and avenge her most likely. Why not finish us off when he had already killed Aurene, surely he could take the time to be thorough and ensure all threats to him were eliminated?

Because if Kralk doesn't ressurect her as a corrupted champion, the commander and co. will find a way to bring her back and fight him again.

The Elder dragons are not allies to one another.. they actually don't like each other at all and think of each other as rivals which is why you never really see their minions working together.
    I can only speculate why he left us alive but the three most likely scenarios are:
    1. He thought he did kill us..
    2. He was severely injured and having killed Aurine his primary target.. didn't want to risk further conflict just incase we got lucky.
    3. He's actually more intelligent and malevolent than we give him credit for and he's aware that without Aurine to replace him we can't kill him now and he left us alive out of spite and cruelty.. to suffer from this defeat.. and endure the pain of loosing Aurine who in many way's is like our adoptive child.

If option 3 is the case then that's only more empowering for my previous theory comment as another motive Kralkatorrik has for reviving Aurine as his branded champion would be to torment both us and her more so as he forces her to commit atrocities and harm those she loves.. and forces us to harm her trying to stop her..
    I very much hope that Kralkatorrik is exactly like that.. I've never been a big fan of the dragons just being forces of nature and doing what they do.. they are far more interesting if they are vile and evil monsters who enjoy what they do.

edited January 14, 2019
    No

@Teratus.2859 said:
    If option 3 is the case then that's only more empowering for my previous theory comment as another motive Kralkatorrik has for reviving Aurine as his branded champion would be to torment both us and her more so as he forces her to commit atrocities and harm those she loves.. and forces us to harm her trying to stop her..
    I very much hope that Kralkatorrik is exactly like that.. I've never been a big fan of the dragons just being forces of nature and doing what they do.. they are far more interesting if they are vile and evil monsters who enjoy what they do.

I believe Kraalkatorik fully intended to Brand Aurene and the Commander (the Commander was his primary target in the cutscene until Aurene intervened). But while her pose at the end is identical to those from her visions, she is still flesh and blood (aside from a bit of branding on her wings and where she was pierced with crystal), while she was Branded in her visions. There are Brand crystals all around her, and through her, but she herself is not Branded.

My theory is that we did change the future by undergoing Glint's trials. Either it was due to Ascension, or it was due to what we learned in the first trial (helping her absorb additional energy by leveraging her bond with the Commander), or maybe both, but I think she absorbed the energy that was supposed to have branded her. Come to think of it, it had to involve the first trial, to explain why the Commander also avoided being Branded -- they were both absorbing the energy together.

• Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think that she is dead, and will stay that way, morally, that is. I feel like they set the end up that way intentionally. I feel like this episode will have been cheapened if the next thing we get is a communication from Taimi saying that Aurene is moving. Also, about the visions of the future, Glint may have been alone in being unable to forsee her own death, because Kralkatorrik foresaw life after his own death, if not his death itself. But I won't argue the subject. It is just my opinion.

• Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

She's dead in the sense that her body has been destroyed but her spirit lives on in the mists (as with Glint).

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

• Zero.3871Zero.3871 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes

I hope Joko will be revived out of aureenes dead Body and replace the elder Dragons.

LONG LIVE THE LICH KING! PRAISE JOKO!

• Klipso.8653Klipso.8653 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

@ugrakarma.9416 said:
    nope, the Great Immortal King Joko lives in her! Then she's gonna regen herself soon.

Yup, they would not have placed so much emphasis on "Balthazar's presence" if what she ate didn't matter. Lich magic will revive herself

-Balwarc [ICoa]

• No

She's not dead. The volatile magic absorption of Glint's trial is what's going to happen. All the magic that Kral released will be absorbed by Aurene and she'll come back bigger and badder. She might even learn to speak.

Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

• No

I don't think she will be "dead", will be such a waste but my opinion:

-Arenanet just wanted to make us cry and revive in the next episode, if that the case, even if I want her back, would be dissapointed for the trolling.

(Hope it will be) -Aurene knew she have to die, she fight Kralkatorrik because she tried to kill him even if she was aware she have not yet the strength, "All or Nothing" after all, she get "nothing" but since Kralk attack as well the Mist, Glint, Vlast and Aurene are together now and could perhaps take him down together with the commander, and why not with his magic if he die ressurect, one or why not, all together and mostly...WHY NOT Glint to be the new Elder Dragon of Crystal with Vlast and Aurene as Champion like Kralk with The Shatterer!

-Aurene is definitely dead but I think that would be bad that end in that way, indeed she died in battle but what will happen after? We can't stop him now and would be dissapointing to have create a skin for Caithe or not use the Joko magic...

And at last, my most probable though:

-Aurene died for good, but Caithe could later feel back her presence as Aurene still guide us into victory, she might not be here but perhaps she will help us to kill that crystal dragon.

• No

Dragons cant foresee thier deaths. Kralkatorik couldnt and glint couldnt so obviously aureen cant. If they could glint would be alive and kralkatorrik wouldnt be kitten in his pants.

• No

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:
    Dragons cant foresee thier deaths. Kralkatorik couldnt and glint couldnt so obviously aureen cant. If they could glint would be alive and kralkatorrik wouldnt be kitten in his pants.

I mean, Kralkatorrik saw a world without him. That means he saw after his death.

• No

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:

I mean, Kralkatorrik saw a world without him. That means he saw after his death.

Yes but he didnt see how he dies and by whom.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.