So You're one POI away from Map Completion ....

Ash.5274

..... only to discover it's locked behind two events, and meta events at that. Why!?! This is by far my biggest gripe when it comes to newly released maps. I was lucky enough to be on a map that completed both metas without too much trouble, so I was able to access that locked room in question, and even luckier to get all 9 of my alts access thanks to an LFG Mesmer, but that's beside the point. What about a month from now, six months from now, a year from now? Map completion should never be locked behind events in this way, especially on maps where population will naturally diminish over time.

Note: I am of course talking about the new map, Thunderhead Peaks, but I'm being deliberately vague about the exact location to avoid potential (allbeit light) spoilers. Trust me though, you'll know it when you see it ...

I just don't get why this happens every time. I've pointed it out in every AFC thus far and was hoping we were seeing some positive change when they allowed us to pick up the one poi in Jahai at the gate (first time in all of LS4 we didn't have an event locked map completion), but then they tripled down with this map locking one poi behind not one, but two events both of which are metas that seem to be on hour long timers. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Gonna have to agree with OP on this. I got around to doing map completion after the story and I was only able to get the last POI because there was a Mesmer offering ports to the POI in question (always tip your Mesmers, btw). Having to wait around for meta events just to do map comp isn't fun. It wasn't fun back in the Orr days (it still isn't fun if you're doing Core Tyria map completion) and it's not fun now. The only difference between Orr maps and this map is that people still do Orr map metas on a semi-frequent basis. Unless Anet has some long term plans for this new map then getting map comp done will be very difficult when the next Living World episode drops.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:You can buy the plate items off TP for accessing the POI, pretty sure that's all you need unless I missed something.

Huh. I didn't know this. Guess I'm gonna have to get back in game and check this out.

Don't buy it now, the bottom part is like 6-7g on buy. Wait for people to farm this a bit before buying it.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@Warscythes.9307 said:You can buy the plate items off TP for accessing the POI, pretty sure that's all you need unless I missed something.

Huh. I didn't know this. Guess I'm gonna have to get back in game and check this out.

Don't buy it now, the bottom part is like 6-7g on buy. Wait for people to farm this a bit before buying it.

Good point. Thanks. :)

I agree. I'm fine (though not entirely happy about) a POI being locked behind a twice hourly race or an event that happens a few times per hour. A POI locked behind two meta successes with a two hour rotation, I am not.

Both myself and others on the map I was on crit failed the RNG and despite getting the plates, never got access to the POI room. I ultimately ended up waiting for a mesmer to port because I wasn't about to sink another 2.5+ hours to get the plates myself when there was no guarantee I'd be able to get the POI that time either. I really enjoy the new map but that one POI means I'm way less thrilled or interested in doing map completion on my characters.

@Warscythes.9307 said:

you can add 10 gold to that.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:While we're talking about POI's locked away behind something, as far as I know The Consul's Tomb POI is only accessible via the story. If you try to take a character that hasn't done the story to that POI, you can't reach it.

And before that there was a POI that you needed the beetle mount for to get to. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this trend. In fact, I'm sure I'm not. Sure there are workarounds but that's not really the point.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:While we're talking about POI's locked away behind something, as far as I know The Consul's Tomb POI is only accessible via the story. If you try to take a character that hasn't done the story to that POI, you can't reach it.

this. not only being locked behind metas will be a problem later on, but what of those that story doesnt mean hooee, so they dont do story. how to they get poi's locked behind content like that.

During the last AFC for episode 4 we (@sprhavkdogi.9408 specifically) asked about these gated PoIs and got the following response:

@Connor Fallon.9408 ArenaNet › September 26, 2018So, I don't think there was ever a conversation about doing this deliberately to keep people on the map - we have more interesting ways to do that. I think it's more an issue of... when there are locked off areas of a map, what is inside those locked up areas is often interesting or notable in some way, so it often makes sense to make it a POI.

But the feedback is good to have, and I know I at least will keep this in mind in the future!

Followed by:

@"MatthewMedina.5419" ArenaNet › September 28, 2018Just as a follow up on this, in the next regular release scheduled for 10/2 this POI should be able to be unlocked from the open world by walking up to the gate to the courtyard, the one that you exited from at the end of the "A Shattered Nation" story instance.

It's disappointing to see that in the very next release they have double-downed on these gated POIs. I know it was a different team but surely they have some kind of internal communication between teams. I know I will be resorting to my old tactics of running my alts to the entrance of these metas and then logging them all in one after the other as quickly as possible once the meta is running. It means I won't be participating in a meta (or two) but at least I'll be able to go for map completion when I feel like it.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/56184/event-requirement-for-poi-access-revisited

Agreed OP. I hate doing completion on alts in Sandswept, Kourna and Istan for this very reason. I don't think it would have been unreasonable for the poi to be in the center room, or accessed via scraping the door, and still allow for people to explore on their own time.

Making pois gated does nothing but aggravate those who want to get it done for no good reason. When this content becomes stale and there aren't people willing to help with ports I doubt I'll get the map completed.

A meta event should not gate a POI for a single person's map completion. The devs are taking a thing that can be done completely solo, and made it rely on content that would be extremely difficult to solo. This should not be the case at all.

It does seem strange that, after they acknowledged this was an issue in Jahai, they'd make it even worse here. Especially now that there are real issues with locking map completion behind events.I was running Kourna on an alt a couple of weeks back and the rat event chain that led to the final PoI was bugged and just wouldn't start. There were people who had been waiting multiple hours just to try and get map completion. I looked online and it seemed it wasn't an isolated case either. If you could have unlocked the PoI just by running up to the lab door it wouldn't have been an issue

I don't have too much of a problem with this personally, the first few story steps are comfortably soloable, which is fine. The issue is locking map completion behind large-scale group content, in this case not one but two meta events. Same with the poi behind an event-opened wall in Kourna, it's an easily soloable event, so the only real hurdle is potentially having to wait around a bit for the event to start.

As others have pointed out above, Anet really should have learnt from the complaints about that one poi in Jahai, but here we are again, same issue, same solution - make the poi proc at the gate (and pretty please, don't make the same mistake again on the next map!)

The LoD you get doesnt get access to this room though, after talking to the NPC i got the purple one ( yet again) and there was no other plate in that room i could get, and as you can only get that LoD plate once per day, unless you buy it from the TP you are out of luck, as its another RNG gamble as to whether you get the correct plate or not.

EDIT: so in the purple room i had to kill that vet mob 11 times before it dropped the next plate, that is beyond stupid.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:The LoD you get doesnt get access to this room though, after talking to the NPC i got the purple one ( yet again) and there was no other plate in that room i could get, and as you can only get that LoD plate once per day, unless you buy it from the TP you are out of luck, as its another RNG gamble as to whether you get the correct plate or not.

AFAIK there are two metas, One meta gives you the top half, the other meta gives you the bottom half. You'll always get the same plate from a meta if you do it twice. So it's not RNG.

I have never seen the meta for the bottom half successfully completed...

So locking one point behind 2 successful metas or gold and rng is not something i like. (I also don't like the first ring of fire map for the poi locked in the jumping puzzle)