Living World Episode 6 Location theory

Sajuuk Khar.1509

So way back before they released, I think it was episode 2, Anet did a lot of subtle map updates across the game world. These updates included changing the areas around-The area where The Sandsweapt Isles are located-Adding new details around Ganadara-Adding new detials around Jahai-Changes to the area around the Southern Shiverpeaks-Changes to the area of the Charr homelands where Kralkatorik was sleeping back in Guild wars 1

Given that the first four areas became maps.... there's a pretty high chance that the last map of this living world season will take place in the Charr Homelands area where KRalkatorik was sleeping.

So you Charr fans, theres some content for you

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:So way back before they released, I think it was episode 2, Anet did a lot of subtle map updates across the game world. These updates included changing the areas around-The area where The Sandsweapt Isles are located-Adding new details around Ganadara-Adding new detials around Jahai-Changes to the area around the Southern Shiverpeaks-Changes to the area of the Charr homelands where Kralkatorik was sleeping back in Guild wars 1

Given that the first four areas became maps.... there's a pretty high chance that the last map of this living world season will take place in the Charr Homelands area where KRalkatorik was sleeping.

You are probably correct. If we do end up killing Kralkatorrik, we could in the process wake up Jormag, kinda similar to Abaddon causing Primordus to wake up, which could in theory launch us into the Charr Homelands Far Shiverpeaks for Season 5.

I’m a little worried about that in a LW episode though... all of the regions we visited so far are extensions of existing ones (technically, since all of the other maps are “elona” and use the same assets). Visiting the Aside from ring of Fire, which really only needed rocks and lava (not really new assets in large quantities), Deldrimor front was the first time we really visited a new region in living world, but even then it’s geograpicsly similar enough to the central shiverpeaks that things like the environment can stay mostly the same, with the exception of dwarven architecture. But, more of that was made with the launch of path of fire too. But blood legion homelands is a truly brand new region, and not one that can recycle assets from other regions, it’s a distinct place of its own. So I’m worried living world doesn’t have the budget or time to handle it correctly (also the lore of being dumped into a new region)

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:But blood legion homelands is a truly brand new region, and not one that can recycle assets from other regionsIt used 99% the same assets as Ascalon did back in GW1, so it would likely just use a bunch of Ascalon assets in W2.

I hope not though. I’ve always found Ascalon in guild wars 2 to be really yellow and drab. Where as in guild wars 1 it was much more vivid even if it had kind of the same feel. But ascalon is core and they’ve improved textures and everything drastically since then so maybe they could make it look good. I definitely think that’s the best guess, but I hope it doesn’t look like a copy paste ascalon.

And if Kralks death up there led to anything I think it would more than likely be some Charr uprising or fight for control of command and power rather than normal awakening. They’ve kind of tied primordus and jormag together and jumping straight back into not only an elder dragon plot but reawakening dragons that were put to sleep really recently would be a little jarring.

If they went that route I would think it would be more likely for kralk to return to his purple crater mountain where Marjory and lad were and die there, and for that energy release to coax out the deep sea dragon or make him more aggressive. For all we know we could wind up finding Marjory and kas branded on the mountain and Aurene could come back and rebrand them to free them. That we we can add two more character deaths for the name of drama. But then wind up only losing Blish as it should be and maybe Zafirah. No attachment to her.....

@"cptaylor.2670" said:And if Kralks death up there led to anything I think it would more than likely be some Charr uprising or fight for control of command and power rather than normal awakening. They’ve kind of tied primordus and jormag together and jumping straight back into not only an elder dragon plot but reawakening dragons that were put to sleep really recently would be a little jarring.I never liked the idea of a Charr uprising, or on oe f the three Legions going evil temporarily. The Flame Legion exists for that narrative reason in the first place.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:So way back before they released, I think it was episode 2, Anet did a lot of subtle map updates across the game world. These updates included changing the areas around-The area where The Sandsweapt Isles are located-Adding new details around Ganadara-Adding new detials around Jahai-Changes to the area around the Southern Shiverpeaks-Changes to the area of the Charr homelands where Kralkatorik was sleeping back in Guild wars 1

Back in the day, the chief objection to that theory was that it would entail Kraalkatorik flying over existing maps and thus creating lots more brand in core tyria

Now that he can travel through rifts, however...

It would be kind of poetic if things end where they began.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:But blood legion homelands is a truly brand new region, and not one that can recycle assets from other regionsIt used 99% the same assets as Ascalon did back in GW1, so it would likely just use a bunch of Ascalon assets in W2.

That would be disapppointing. At some point, if new regions barely differ why are they even different regions, hows it exciting? I love new maps and can’t see it ever changing for me, but the excitement of a new region isn’t very high if it’s the same as other places. And it’ll drive home the need for new expansions rather than the point that LW can do it all.

TLDR: new regions need new assets, especially if introduce in LW or it just reinforces the need for expansions

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

I don't think that's the case. It pretty heavily resembled pre-Searing Ascalon, but a lot of Eye of the North's art in general was new and higher definition. And I'm pretty sure the charr homelands were no exception.

That said, I don't think it'll be recycling a lot of GW2 Ascalon's assets either. For two major reasons.

First, no humans. So no (Ascalonian) ruins.

Second, Blood not Iron. All the steampunk metal aesthetics thing is Iron Legion aesthetics. ArenaNet has yet to define Blood and Ash aesthetics beyond some tents and tanks.

Going to the lands of Blood Legion could really help to set the Legions apart from one another. Specifically in regard to their architecture. The Blood Citadel is mentioned by Seneca the Relentless as the place where Prisoners are properly punished, implying the Blood Legion's outlook to be more traditional when it comes to law.By extension their culture would be less impacted by the Iron Legion way of doing things, so instead of iron buildings, the Blood Legion may very well use stone and wood, which are more abundant and require less processing than iron ore.The Blood Legion aesthetic is likely to feature spikes, rough edges, things that intimidate onlookers and tell them clearly:"This land belongs to the Blood Legion now!"As for their fortifications, they will likely have imported iron turrets at some point, so whenever they need their stuff to be state of the art, it will be state of the art.Their cuisine may be a bit more simple, but still generally follow the theme of meat dishes with spice and maybe gravy. Their alcohol is pretty famous though. Blood Whiskey is a favourite among soldiers from Ash and Iron and I suspect older Flame officers, from before the civil war will have tasted it too.Aside from that Blood Legion may have some sport besides sparring, maybe we can get a Mastery Point trying to play their games?

And finally, politics. What little we know about Bangar Ruinbringer is that he's considered a "Wild Card" that could mean he's opportunistic, or that he likes to get as much information as possible before making a decision and changing that based on subsequent input. He could be friend or foe, really. According to the Legions of the Charr he's prone to rage, distrustful and doesn't seem to like humans. I'm curious how that plays out should we eventually meet him.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see charr lands and how they've come along in the last 250 years, but I feel that the scope of this would be more appropriate to an expansion, rather than living world episodes. Then again, Elona (proper) has gone from two maps (The Desolation, Domain of Vabbi) to five (Istan, Kourna, Jahai). Considering the Blood Citadel east of the Blazeridge Mountains, we should be able to visit Grothmar Wardowns, Dalada Uplands and Sacnoth Valley without issue.Researching the elder Dragon's resting place could provide information about the nature of the Dragonbrand, especially why the branded area seems to begin only south of the mountains. Did Kralkatorrik soar and then dive, leading a large are uncorrupted?

@Castigator.3470 said:Researching the elder Dragon's resting place could provide information about the nature of the Dragonbrand, especially why the branded area seems to begin only south of the mountains. Did Kralkatorrik soar and then dive, leading a large are uncorrupted?Kralkatorik seems to be able to turn that on or off. to some degree. Or perhaps it only activated after he had a moment to wake up fully.

@Castigator.3470 said:appropriate to an expansionFor what reason would we need an expansion into charr lands?-Jormag is in the Far Shiverpeaks-Primordus is underground near the Ring of Fire-Bubbles is in the ocean's depths

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Castigator.3470 said:Researching the elder Dragon's resting place could provide information about the nature of the Dragonbrand, especially why the branded area seems to begin only south of the mountains. Did Kralkatorrik soar and then dive, leading a large are uncorrupted?Kralkatorik seems to be able to turn that on or off. to some degree. Or perhaps it only activated after he had a moment to wake up fully.

@Castigator.3470 said:appropriate to an expansionFor what reason would we need an expansion into charr lands?-Jormag is in the Far Shiverpeaks-Primordus is underground near the Ring of Fire-Bubbles is in the ocean's depths

The Charr Homelands are right beside the Far Shiverpeaks, if we do kill Kralk up there it could wake up Jormag, due to proximity.

@Tyson.5160 said:

You are probably correct. If we do end up killing Kralkatorrik, we could in the process wake up Jormag, kinda similar to Abaddon causing Primordus to wake up, which could in theory launch us into the Charr Homelands Far Shiverpeaks for Season 5.

Nah, with how Primordus and Jormag were dealth with - I think this Living World is trying to get rid of the Elder Dragons all together without destroying the lore. So Jormag and Primo are still out there capable of reeking havoc but the story writers want to go on to other sagas. This ED after ED expansion idea was poor to begin with. Mordremoth was just worth it because of the subtle hints during vanilla.

@Ronin.7381 said:Nah, with how Primordus and Jormag were dealth withYou mean not at all since they are both still alive with hordes of minions collecting magic to reawaken them?

@Tyson.5160 said:The Charr Homelands are right beside the Far Shiverpeaks, if we do kill Kralk up there it could wake up Jormag, due to proximity.Sure, but that's an expansion to the far shiverpeaks, not the charr homelands. One season 4 sized map could cover basically all of the area we saw back in GW1.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:But blood legion homelands is a truly brand new region, and not one that can recycle assets from other regionsIt used 99% the same assets as Ascalon did back in GW1, so it would likely just use a bunch of Ascalon assets in W2.

The GW2 map shows a Green Blood Legion Homelands not a Yellow Blood Legion Homelands. The Yellow Ascalon happened as a result of the Searing and despite the Trees being restored to their old selves the Yellow Grass did not change back to Green at any point. To those saying Post-Searing Ascalon did not have grass in GW1 behold the picture: http://atyrianodyssey.com/gw/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/old-ascalon-collector.jpg

It would be nice to have a new set of assets based on temperate forest / European climate.

In terms of recycling assets, the most disappointing map is Kourna is practically Silverwastes on a new map and more water.

We are tired of deserts, thats why Thunderhead Peaks sometimes it seems like you're playing a new game, not Gw2.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Ronin.7381 said:Nah, with how Primordus and Jormag were dealth withYou mean not at all since they are both still alive with hordes of minions collecting magic to reawaken them?

@Tyson.5160 said:The Charr Homelands are right beside the Far Shiverpeaks, if we do kill Kralk up there it could wake up Jormag, due to proximity.Sure, but that's an expansion to the far shiverpeaks, not the charr homelands. One season 4 sized map could cover basically all of the area we saw back in GW1.

Figuring that we got three Elona areas in one map for Jahai Bluffs. We could technically get the Charr homelands from gw1 in one map. I honestly didn’t ’t get the feeling that we will go after Jormag due to how connect he is to Primordus.

My bet is on the Charr Homelands.

Why?

Rytlock will totally go there now that we lost another fight against Kralk and we will start into an arc where we have to regain the trust of our allies. Would feed into the horrible plot point of everybody being against Aurene showing her branding ability to protect everyone

@"Tyson.5160" said:Figuring that we got three Elona areas in one map for Jahai Bluffs. We could technically get the Charr homelands from gw1 in one map. I honestly didn’t ’t get the feeling that we will go after Jormag due to how connect he is to Primordus.I would predict that LWS5 will probably take us back to Elona at some point to cover the rest of Kourna, and possibly another map in Istan or Vabbi.

After this loss it doesn't seem like Kralk is going down this season, him retreating back to "Mount Kralkatorrik", as I like to call it, in Elona to recover for awhile makes sense.

I would suspect bubbles would be next, leading us to the ocean, or Cantha, or somewhere out in that area.

The Charr homelands could be a very interesting next map. However, we put Jormag to sleep so it would make no sense for him to already be woken by us. I predict the next map could be in the area below Sulfurous Wastelands, that purple mountain thing. Or Arenanet could open up more of Deldrimor Front since we are already there, and there are at least two areas that could turn into maps. Either way, I'm curious to see how the story will play out given the latest episode's shock factor.