Advice on Precocious Aurene - Final Battle?

I've done this before but today I'm having a lot of trouble with this. If I stay on the platform the leecher fully heals before the next chance to do coordinated attack. Most times when I get in the circle I never get the coordinated attack at all. I've spent a LOT of time trying to do this and not having any luck. Am I missing something?

I get that part. Why do I not get the coordinated attack most of the time. Even if I stay far from the platform it still heals fully or almost fully before I manage to get a circle to give me the coordinated attack. It takes a bit longer for it to heal. I run back to the platform, stand in the circle get no attack. After 3 or 4 rounds of that it's like starting from the beginning. Is there a trick to getting the coordinated attack beyond just being in the circle?

The interval seems to take a while. Even when I do get the white circle and stand in it I don't get the option to use the skill at all most of the time. That happens over and over. It was massively frustrating. I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm doing wrong to be able to use Coordinated Attack or if the game just doesn't like me today. What might I be doing wrong? Why do I not get the Coordinated Attack skill when I'm standing in the white circle?

Edit: Does it steal life from Turrets?

@Bollocks.4078 said:The interval seems to take a while. Even when I do get the white circle and stand in it I don't get the option to use the skill at all most of the time. That happens over and over. It was massively frustrating. I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm doing wrong to be able to use Coordinated Attack or if the game just doesn't like me today. What might I be doing wrong? Why do I not get the Coordinated Attack skill when I'm standing in the white circle?

Edit: Does it steal life from Turrets?

According to wiki it lifesteals from minions so that probably includes turrets as well.

• 2 months later...

I just ran this a few times with the same issues. I would stand in the small white circle with Aurene. Wrong. Stay out of the small white circle, wait for the BIG white circle. Then do the thing that you do. It seemed that if I stood with Aurene in the small circle, the BIG circle wouldn't show up at all.

• 4 months later...

OK, don't worry about doing damage to the boss in this fight that's not how you win. Throw away any minions/turrets (anything with a health meter) because the boss will heal itself by attacking those targets when it pulls everything in. The more targets you supply to the boss, the more it can heal itself. Stand off to the side on that little 'peninsula' next to the main circular platform to avoid AOE's. When you see the small white circle appear on the ground, the dragon should run over to it and stand in the middle of it. At that point, another larger white circle appears on the opposite side of the boss. Run over to that and stand on it for a few seconds and you should see your coordinated strike ability become available. Use the ability and then return to the point on the 'peninsula'. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Watch the pattern of attacks. It will do its life steal attack 3 (or 4?) times before the white circle appears. Don't use any minions, turrets, or clones. Swim away and hide behind a column so if it tries to pull you, you'll fly into the column instead. It will do that 3 or 4 times. Then hurry back to the platform to get to the white circle. Do the special attack, then hurry away to hide again. Rinse and repeat until it dies.

Really, you don't even need to worry about the boss's pull-heal attack as long as you get your coordinated strikes in. I don't think going behind one of the columns to avoid the boss's attack is necessary here. Also, given how briefly the white circles appear on the platform, swimming back to the platform would take too long. But, to each his own.

@Beaches.4186 said:Really, you don't even need to worry about the boss's pull-heal attack as long as you get your coordinated strikes in. I don't think going behind one of the columns to avoid the boss's attack is necessary here. Also, given how briefly the white circles appear on the platform, swimming back to the platform would take too long. But, to each his own.

Eh, if you watch the pattern of attacks, you know when to swim back. Did this fairly recently on my guard, killed it in 3 coordinated strikes.

• 6 months later...

This was super annoying, even after I stopped summoning clones there was another bug where the white circles would just never show up. I respawned a few times with the same result. I had to exit back to AB and re-enter the instance and finally it worked. Also aurene was half in the floor. One thing I'm grateful for is that I didn't half to repeat the other trials, esp that ooze maze which was also super annoying

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@"pankratz.8352" said:I'm just not getting the 'Coordinated Attack' while standing in the larger white circle - the icon 'lock' never switches to the 'attack' symbol, so mashing my bound key or clicking the icon itself onscreen does zip. Help? I'm following all the directions at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Precocious_Aurene, so $^%&!?

Are you facing the monster when standing in the white circle? coz for me facing away did not activate the skill.

Okay, just did this with a mesmer. Stand at the top of the broad steps and wait for the white circles to appear. If the leecher sucks you toward it, you have time, and can glide out of it and return to the top of the stairs. You also have time to glide down to the large white circle when it appears and set off the special attack skill. My brother was doing it with me and there was really nothing for him to do except stay behind a column so he wouldn’t get sucked toward the leecher and give some of its life back. You can get it in 3-4 hits and don’t have to fight it at all with your weapons. And, mesmers, once you have returned to the top of the stairs, shatter your phantasms after your attack, otherwise it will recover some health from them. And Aurene will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that it heals off of mesmer clones n' such is a little much. Like, it says ya have to time it right, so I was just under the impression that I was misstimin' the attack. It also doesn't really give ya much indication on what yer supposed to do there either. It seems like a time-waster to just have the test be "Don't do anythin' except jump around n' dodge skills until ya can use the ability again." Because with no explanation ya assume it's like another boss.Nearly invincible, have to use the command attack, deals massive damage, makes the boss vulnerable, continue wailin' on him. Suddenly boss is at full HP again by the time ya get the command trigger again. Just seems a bit silly in my opinion to have it where ya can't "fight" the boss because yer a mesmer so yer gonna heal it.

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much to the advice on this forum for ranger builds! I was stuck on repeat for 30 mins with barely any hope until I read everyone’s advice.

In case it helps other rangers out there: I had a Soulbeast with a Berserker set. (Berserker’s the worst for survivability.) This is what worked for me:1) I switched to an immobilize/condition + condi cleanse build. (I used the WvW Immobbeast from Metabattle: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Immobbeast. If the boss gets a hit on you, it applies condis that make it hard for you to evade: Dolyak Stance and Bear Stance help cleanse the condis.

I have no clue if all the cripple, immobilize, or slow I applied on the boss helped. (At least it felt like it wasn’t getting as many chances to siphon my health). It was getting condi markers under it’s health bar so I guess it helped. If we can’t damage the boss anyway, then we may as well give it a hard time. (When I hit the boss with the greatsword skills, the game gave damage numbers, but I didn’t notice the boss health bar percentage decrease at all. The decreases seemed to come from Aurene’s meelee attacks. I just assumed only Aurene’s attacks do actual damage.)

2) Merge with the pet. Metabattle’s Immobbeast recommends the Hyena and that does a lot of conditions on the leecher. Alternatively, I haven’t tried it but maybe Smokescale’s stealth can help disengage the boss from you? As much as possible, be merged with the pet. I noticed it kept sucking more health when the pet was unmerged.

3) Evade or get out of the leecher’s attacks until the big white circle across from Aurene comes up. Then go into it to use the special action skill. Get inside quickly, if you take too long, it won’t unlock in time. A guildie once advised me to change the keybinding for the special action skill into something easier to tap. (I noticed this white circle took a long time to appear when I let Aurene fight on her own, i.e. when I hid behind pillars like the GW2 wiki walkthrough advised. The white circle appeared faster for me while I was actively attacking and applying conditions on the boss. Staying far away behind pillars also makes it harder to get to the white circle in time. So instead I just ran around the platform applying condi and evading. We can’t be a burden to Aurene, now can we?)

4) Make sure you don’t get hit by the leecher’s ranged attacks when you approach the white circle! I noticed the special action button doesn’t unlock if you get hit before you can press it.

5) Even with the advice from everyone above, it took Aurene 3 burns to kill it. From what I see, Aurene can deal damage to roughly 50% of it’s health. After Hit 1, if it goes above 50% (from regenerating from you or your minion/pet/clone), you’ll need another 2 burns for Aurene to kill it. (Hit 2 deals 50%, then Hit 3 finishes what’s left over.)

• 8 months later...

Old topic i know, Just did this fight, 1 hour of insanity, frustration cussing and fussing. I play a mesmer and the boss keeps regening of my clone/phantasms. Went to watch a few different video on it, came here and saw that some knew the fight well. I went back into it with the intention of watching and learning the patern and what do you know!!!!
I perch myself at the end of the little corridor , up the staircase east of the platform to watch.  After about 10 mins of watching the fight, Aurene had it down to about half health!!! I got ready to jump in the next time the big white circle would be the closet to me and BAM!!! Killed that @&^$*@# pile of pixels.
Im not gonna try it (some stuff you only do if needed to), but im pretty sure that if you park yourself there and go netflix, Aurene will do the job.