How do I fight defensively as a elementalist/weaver? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How do I fight defensively as a elementalist/weaver?

I think one of my biggest hurdle learning the Profession. As much as I try, I die/ or survive with the slimier of hp (Often die in pvp.) Because I often use my skills for offensive purpose rather then offense. Even attuning to water/Earth element which meant to be more defensive/support purpose do I use for aggressive purposes. Obviously I need to change my playstyle, but as the title suggest, I don't know how without resorting to being too offensive. Is there a way to improve myself? Or maybe an excise I can practice?

Comments

• Curennos.9307Curennos.9307 Member ✭✭✭

I try and force myself to get as much milage out of each skill as possible - take sword earth 2, which is an evade + damage + blast finisher.

So don't JUST use it for the damage or JUST to avoid an attack. Try to use it to evade incoming burst, deal damage to opponents, apply cripple so you can so on the offensive after if need be, and blast something (a fire field if you're gonna attack after, or water field after a water 2 twirl if that's what you just did).

As a baseline, I usually go with telling people they should be at the point where they can recount the tooltips of all the skills on their bar from memory. Again, back to sword earth #2. You can blast the water field from water 2 with it, the fire field from fire 2, the fire ield from dagger 4...there's also the leap on air 2, the blast on earth 4, and fire 2 which is also a leap...

Pretty much everything you do SHOULD have multiple functions - offense/defense/utility. Learn which ones to use and how to combo skills together so that the multiple things everything you (should) be doing matches the current combat situation.

• Surviving extended matches isn't all about the rotations of your skills alone. Learn to kite effectively in and between the nodes. Familiarize yourself with the non-portable spots and jumping puzzles as well as the mechanics of LoS. Pros most often do that and you can do it too.

Good luck on your journey for self-improvement.

An unsavory fellow beloved by those of unsavory ilk.

• MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

Playing ele is all about timing and comboing your own skills (which are weak individually). Pretty much what Curennos said. You have to read the pace of the fight to be with the flow. It's all about dancing after all.

• Balance between everything as an Elementalist should and you won't only be defensive, you'll be offensive too. Weaver is the best example of this as they can deal pulsing damage while being defensive ergo making it easier in comparison.

For the years I've played Elementalist, I always played more of a reactionary play style since it forces the enemy to act first; this gives you the ability to save your skills until they waste theirs, especially since Weaver is pretty evasive and able to adjust to a situation faster than an Elementalist or Tempest. Another thing you could do to learn a ''defensive play style'' is to learn how the other classes work; knowledge is power after all!

I think the closest to a defensive style is what I do- but I haven't really seen any other way to do it. React and only react; never act.

Hello, welcome to the game; I main Elementalist, Vingam Securis.

• Zenix.6198Zenix.6198 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019

What you are describing is the reason why weaver is not meta in PvP tho.
    Obviously it depends on your build, but when you have to attune to water all the time you dont have much counterpressure.

The build that is currently considered to be the best for PvP (the "sw/d mender build) is by all standards a bunker build and offers very little offensive play.
    Which I personally find extremely boring to play.

The most success I had with sword weaver tho, was on these two builds.

1. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAsYncMAF5i94CeOAM5iFNAroN2BzBDBgBQG8+PXoX0A-jpAYAB0WGAg9HAA
      Stoneheart on a 4second "Cooldown" is surprisingly nice to have and makes you just that much more resilient against the high power dmg meta we have atm.
      With good condition dmg you even have some counterpressure while in earth. Making sure to run away screaming from mirages is an essential gameplay element as well.

2. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAsYncMAF5i94CeOAM5ilCALYA0ACA3p6XdsuINcEHDA-jpQQgAA7PMWGAA
      This one is more of an experimental build, but is overall more flexible, since you can also deal with classes that have lots of condi cleanses. Frequently attuning to earth (for extra toughness and protection) lets you somewhat deal with power builds, while you also have some cleansing capabilites from the fire traitline. Personally I think this build has a higher learning curve, but also is more rewarding if you put some time into it.

Alternating between these two builds got me to high plat 2. And since they actually can deal some damage I would recommend them over the water + mender variant if you looking for that type of gameplay.

• Dace.8173Dace.8173 Member ✭✭✭✭

Well ..... I mean ..... you have to break yourself out of being offensive all the time. This is true for a lot of professions in the game. Being too offensive in most professions will lead to death. Some have a lot more leeway on the point at which too much is really too much but it is something that you have to learn. Even the meta builds die fast if played too aggressive for what that build is meant to do. None of the advice anyone can give you is gonna work if you just go offensive all the time. There is no magic bullet. There is no trick to it. It is a matter of patience and understanding pacing and the limits of what your build can let you do before you pull back. You have to practice at playing defensive, which in your case likely means you have to break yourself out of the habit of being too offensive. It's a matter of restraint. There is no trick or exercise that teaches you restraint. You either have it or you don't and if you don't then that means you have to work at holding yourself back.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.