I just received the following error when trying to start up GW2."Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated. This software will not work with future versions of macOS and needs to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information.

I am running macOS 10.14 on a late 2015 iMac. Is anybody else seeing this? Is there someone from Anet that can bring this to the appropriate person's attention?

EDIT: when I clicked on the "learn more" it took me to this page, which makes it seem that the Guild Wars 2 64 is actually 32 bit, but when I do the system report it confirms the app as 64-Bit (intel) Yes.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:I just received the following error when trying to start up GW2."Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated. This software will not work with future versions of macOS and needs to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information.

I am running macOS 10.14 on a late 2015 iMac. Is anybody else seeing this? Is there someone from Anet that can bring this to the appropriate person's attention?

EDIT: when I clicked on the "learn more" it took me to this page, which makes it seem that the Guild Wars 2 64 is actually 32 bit, but when I do the system report it confirms the app as 64-Bit (intel) Yes.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Thanks for letting us know. The team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix for it.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:I just received the following error when trying to start up GW2."Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated. This software will not work with future versions of macOS and needs to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information.

EDIT: when I clicked on the "learn more" it took me to this page, which makes it seem that the Guild Wars 2 64 is actually 32 bit, but when I do the system report it confirms the app as 64-Bit (intel) Yes.

Thanks for letting us know. The team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix for it.

Great Gaile, if it is the same one I saw it comes up once and never again. I am guessing a tie to some 32 bit thing somehow.

@Menadena.7482 said:

EDIT: when I clicked on the "learn more" it took me to this page, which makes it seem that the Guild Wars 2 64 is actually 32 bit, but when I do the system report it confirms the app as 64-Bit (intel) Yes.

Great Gaile, if it is the same one I saw it comes up once and never again. I am guessing a tie to some 32 bit thing somehow.

Unless I'm mistaken, the main game is 64bit but the launcher still uses some 32bit components.

• 2 weeks later...

“Guild Wars 2 64-bit” is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated". I too have gotten this message the last two days when signing in.

Also I will state that since the week of the WVW bonuses, I have had ongoing LAG so much that I am unable to play with my WVW guild if we come up against an enemy zerg. SO SAD! This lag has not been a problem for years! Hopefully it will get resolved :)

I'm running Mac OS Mojave, version 10.14.1; when I went to log in this morning, I got an error message after the launcher appeared, telling me that this app is 'not optimized and that the developer will need to update it' and will not work with future versions of Mac OS. It only happened once, I didn't write down the exact message, and now the error is no longer appearing (it launches properly).

Is this something I should be worried about?

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to post a feedback note about performance. I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2018 with the updated processor. The Mac GW2 client does not run smoothly. The game is laggy, and the only time it is really playable and actually enjoyable is at the lowest settings. I tested this computer using bootcamp and GW2, and on a pc side with the pc client, the game runs much much faster, and every setting can be on at least medium and still have a good frame rate and an enjoyable time playing.

Mac Pro (2017)Mojave3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5Dual FirePro D700 6GB32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3Game installed to local SSD

No crashes, no troubles but not so good graphic performances... The graphic card is ALWAYS at 100%, even setting low graphics / best performances.

At the beginning there are a lot of panning defects, a little bit better after some handfuls of seconds

• 4 weeks later...

I'd very much like to see the customized sountrack feature working on the mac. The wiki page says it works - and yet i have tested every conceivable way to get it working as well as searching for any other mac player who has it working and come up with nothing. I would very much appreciate it being looked into. It works like a champ on my wife's PC - easy as pie, and I'm feeling frustrated and hoping you can help.

@Knopflerus.9587 said:Mac Pro (2017)Mojave3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5Dual FirePro D700 6GB32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3Game installed to local SSD

No crashes, no troubles but not so good graphic performances... The graphic card is ALWAYS at 100%, even setting low graphics / best performances.

At the beginning there are a lot of panning defects, a little bit better after some handfuls of seconds

I'm on a 2017 macbook pro and it runs like a champ 30 FPS in cities and world events and 60 FPS in ractals, raids and open world - everything high but shadows and textures set ot medium. My macbook has the Radeon Pro 560 graphics built in. Respolution is 1080p - a cant run on high above that.

@inaho.2046 said:I'd very much like to see the customized sountrack feature working on the mac. The wiki page says it works - and yet i have tested every conceivable way to get it working as well as searching for any other mac player who has it working and come up with nothing. I would very much appreciate it being looked into. It works like a champ on my wife's PC - easy as pie, and I'm feeling frustrated and hoping you can help.

I have different tracks set up in itunes. What would be wonderful is if there was a way to get information like active character then an applescript could play the right track. Priorities though.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. After playing maybe 15 minutes or so suddenly my game will randomly freeze and I wind up having to hit the power button behind my mac and reopen the game. I've already tried deleting and reinstalling the game, going to Library > App Support > delete the GW2 folder and let the game download a new one, and I've gone to the terminal to try and repair the game like the support site suggested. So far, nothing's worked. Oddly enough, my brother has the exact same iMac as I do with the exact same hardware and our game is using almost the same settings, but he isn't experiencing any freezing/crashes. O.o

I'm using an iMac (Retina 4k, 21.5 inch late 2015)Processor: 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7Memory: 16 FB 1867 MHz DDR3Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 62000 1536 MB

Thanks

I've the exact same problem. After a while gw2 freeze suddenly (including my computer). It's no more fun to play. I think it's since one of the last updates after Episode 5.Also the game isn't run smoothly last days, like before.I've done filerepair too.

I've Mac 27' late 20133,4 GHz Core i58 GB DDR3NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M

I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." error.This is the third occurrence. The first time I fixed it by updating my DNS server list.The second time it just started working after a few weeks away.Home network works (wife is playing GW2 right now on her PC - same network).GW2 is already an exception in my Firewall.My DNS settings have not changed.Traceroute fails on about the 12th hop.

Anyone got a fix? Bought Path of Fire a week ago and I really don't like being shut out of the game.

@"Catfish Jon.7038" said:I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." error.This is the third occurrence. The first time I fixed it by updating my DNS server list.The second time it just started working after a few weeks away.Home network works (wife is playing GW2 right now on her PC - same network).GW2 is already an exception in my Firewall.My DNS settings have not changed.Traceroute fails on about the 12th hop.

Anyone got a fix? Bought Path of Fire a week ago and I really don't like being shut out of the game.

Unless you have a huge LAN seeing a traceroute fail that far away from you probably has nothing to do with your network settings. I assume the traceroute was to an anet server, right? They may have something misconfigured on the server end or are just not accepting ping traffic (a common anti-ddos strategy but frustrating for diagnosing network issues).

I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." as well trying to install GW2 on mac.Fresh install on a mac (MBook Pro 2017, Mojave 10.14.2, Firewall OFF), downloaded the client, launched and straight to error.The mac shows no other signs of network issues either. All browsers and other apps connect just fine.

Now, I'm literally logged in and playing with 2 accounts on 2 PCs on the same network. How do I fix this Mac install? I'm heading out of town with the MacBook Pro and would love to continue playing while I'm away from my gaming PCs.

@"DougTheSlug.3920" said:I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." as well trying to install GW2 on mac.Fresh install on a mac (MBook Pro 2017, Mojave 10.14.2, Firewall OFF), downloaded the client, launched and straight to error.The mac shows no other signs of network issues either. All browsers and other apps connect just fine.

Now, I'm literally logged in and playing with 2 accounts on 2 PCs on the same network. How do I fix this Mac install? I'm heading out of town with the MacBook Pro and would love to continue playing while I'm away from my gaming PCs.

open your settings, go to security and privacy, click the firewall tab, turn it off.Now try to do GW2. If that works, then you cna go back later and adjust the firewall settings or use a packet tracer to find out what needs ot be opened in your mac's firewall.

@inaho.2046 said:

@"DougTheSlug.3920" said:I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." as well trying to install GW2 on mac.Fresh install on a mac (MBook Pro 2017, Mojave 10.14.2,
Firewall OFF
), downloaded the client, launched and straight to error.The mac shows no other signs of network issues either. All browsers and other apps connect just fine.

open your settings, go to security and privacy, click the firewall tab, turn it off.Now try to do GW2. If that works, then you cna go back later and adjust the firewall settings or use a packet tracer to find out what needs ot be opened in your mac's firewall.

appreciate the attempt, but as highlighted in the post, firewall setting is already off.

Yep, same problem, I've given up on the Firecracker Lighting adventures because of this - constant crashes, usually near the beginning, or as soon as you hit the last firecracker, which is particularly demoralising.

Speaking of New Year content, good luck playing Dragon Ball. There's so much stuttering and hitching that it's unplayable (one of the main complaints in general about the Mac client which still hasn't been addressed after all this time). I guess Mac players just aren't a priority, so it's rubbish performance until OpenGL goes from deprecated to removed, then it'll be adiós anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, random crashes every 20 to 30 minutes, it won't allow me to continue in the story mode because I usually crash by the end of an episode :disappointed:.

Logs are pretty cryptic:

--> Crash <--Signal: Segmentation fault: 11 (addr=0x0000000000000000)App: Gw64Pid: 63841BaseAddr: 0x0000000000010000ProgramId: 101Build: 95112When: 2019-02-08T14:15:54ZUptime: 00:00:04Flags: 0x0

I just had a good two hour gaming spell on my MacPro, no crashes, and very few lags once the content / textures had loaded. That horrible lag when you mount the raptor / springer is gone as well. In bloodstone Fen I was averaging around 25-35fps. Latest 10.13.6 updates. I'm happy with this for now, means I don't have to boot into Windows 10.

2010 Mac Pro (2x 2.93 Ghz 6 core)48Gb RamRadeon RX 580 8Gb GFX cardGame content is on a 7200rpm driveMain OS drive - Evo 960 nVME PCI

I have found that the game crashes systematically when holding the OPT key (CMD key) for a few seconds. I've tried over 10 times, 10 crashes and now have had 0 crashes by avoiding this key at all costs.

Another point I've noted: GW2 64-bit has a very high energy consumption on my Mac, averaging at 155.84 in my activity monitor.