Advice for new Elementalist — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Advice for new Elementalist

Hi all - please feel free to direct me to an appropriate thread, as I'm sure these questions have been asked before. I'm a recent WoW convert, loving the game, and looking for guidance on some professions. I'm currently leveling an elementalist (primarily in fire for solo play PvE right now), eventually looking to get into fractals/raids when leveled (35 ATM). What stats should I be primarily focused on for DPS/survivability in Fire, and which for healing? Also, I'm currently using a Staff, but thoughts on best weapon combos would also be appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

Berzerker stats
    Staff
    Fire/Air/weaver

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• Code.6512Code.6512 Member ✭✭

Thank you!

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since leveling in this game is braindead easy, the best thing you can do is trying different weapons and learning all traits. That makes buildcrafting and adapting to meta builds a lot easier later on.

When it comes to stats, focus on power, precision and ferocity, defensive stats arent that good because facetanking isnt very effective in this game, especially on ele. If you're having problems surviving you can always equip more defensive traits, skills or even weapons. As ele you should know how to utilize kiting, evades, cc, blinds because it's a very fragile class.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• vesica tempestas.1563vesica tempestas.1563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Berzerker stats
    Staff
    Fire/Air/weaver

This is all the out aoe dps glass cannon build (max dps, dull as a brick to play), If you are looking for more survivability and healing as per your OP I would suggest mixing in water and arcane for heals/condy removal (where needed) and some stance utilities. going Zerker is a one trick pony, fine if you only ever intend to do instances with players in front with you but If you want a bit of flexibility, have a look at a power/precision/condition/heal mix, this is good enough for all pve, and covers spvp/wvw/pvp/more defensive PVE play as well.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

@steki.1478 said:
    Since leveling in this game is braindead easy, the best thing you can do is trying different weapons and learning all traits. That makes buildcrafting and adapting to meta builds a lot easier later on.

When it comes to stats, focus on power, precision and ferocity, defensive stats arent that good because facetanking isnt very effective in this game, especially on ele. If you're having problems surviving you can always equip more defensive traits, skills or even weapons. As ele you should know how to utilize kiting, evades, cc, blinds because it's a very fragile class.

Interesting - my main in WoW for the last few years was a mage, so some of the perils you mention here are similar. I' appreciative of the advice, as I'm interested in DPS as one facet, but one of the reasons I chose the ele as one of my first professions was because it seemed like it could be an effective multi-class - DPS or heals, depending on group need, with the ability to do some moderate CC where required as well. Is that an accurate assessment?

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Berzerker stats
    Staff
    Fire/Air/weaver

This is all the out aoe dps glass cannon build (max dps, dull as a brick to play), If you are looking for more survivability and healing as per your OP I would suggest mixing in water and arcane for heals/condy removal (where needed) and some stance utilities. going Zerker is a one trick pony, fine if you only ever intend to do instances with players in front with you but If you want a bit of flexibility, have a look at a power/precision/condition/heal mix, this is good enough for all pve, and covers spvp/wvw/pvp/more defensive PVE play as well.

You've hot the nail on the head - eventually I'd like to have the ability to serve as multi purpose depending on group need - DPS or Heals, with an ability to serve as a distraction through CC as well. As you can see from my post above, my cursory reading of the ele profession led me to believe it might be a good way to go for that.

In the power/precision/condition/heal mix you mention, I assume this would be the order priority as well?

Follow up question - what crafting professions benefit an ele most, or does it matter?

Thank you all for the time you're taking and the advice you're giving :)

• sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

Whole endgame is "go zerker or go home". Its sad really..

I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• zerorogue.9410zerorogue.9410 Member ✭✭✭

A good warning, berserker will get you in to trouble if you don't have lighting fast reflexes to back it up. There's been a lot of changes at endgame play that makes zerkers not the end all for everything. Especially at T4 fractals where a lot of things can one hit a berserker build.

I myself use a celestial staff tempest build that gives you access to do pretty much everything. Condi, auras, damage, healing, cc. I also use this build for fractals. It wont top the dps charts, but it saves the team when the squishy players go down.

@Code.6512 said:

@steki.1478 said:

Interesting - my main in WoW for the last few years was a mage, so some of the perils you mention here are similar. I' appreciative of the advice, as I'm interested in DPS as one facet, but one of the reasons I chose the ele as one of my first professions was because it seemed like it could be an effective multi-class - DPS or heals, depending on group need, with the ability to do some moderate CC where required as well. Is that an accurate assessment?

Imo ele is the most effective when played glass cannon (pve and wvw, it's too squishy /currently weak for that in spvp). You could spec for heals-tempest which offers very strong heals, but in current meta it's heavily outscaled by other supports (any game mode) because they offer a lot more, even though their healing output is somewhat lower.

Regarding to the comment above, dont ever use celestial, especially if it's on staff and especially on tempest, thats a lot of wasted stats and you're just not effective at doing anything, even though you can technically do everything.

Ele is versatile class, but you're usually "locked" into one role, depending on your gear and traits. You cant dps and heal effectively at the same time, but both dps builds and heal builds are very strong on their own. Cc is decent, but other classes usually offer stronger cc (unless it's staff in wvw, which makes ele a very strong zoning tool with big aoes and cc).

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    Froggo himself

• ButcherofMalakir.4067ButcherofMalakir.4067 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thing i always say to friends why i can react that quickly: if you prepare your reaction to possible situations in head you dont have to decide in moments what to do.

For pve berzerker staff is way to go (as a dps) if you are dieing you can exchange more pieces but once yiu get better try to exchange back because the more you wait the harder will the change be

@steki.1478 said:

@Code.6512 said:

@steki.1478 said:

Imo ele is the most effective when played glass cannon (pve and wvw, it's too squishy /currently weak for that in spvp). You could spec for heals-tempest which offers very strong heals, but in current meta it's heavily outscaled by other supports (any game mode) because they offer a lot more, even though their healing output is somewhat lower.

Regarding to the comment above, dont ever use celestial, especially if it's on staff and especially on tempest, thats a lot of wasted stats and you're just not effective at doing anything, even though you can technically do everything.

Ele is versatile class, but you're usually "locked" into one role, depending on your gear and traits. You cant dps and heal effectively at the same time, but both dps builds and heal builds are very strong on their own. Cc is decent, but other classes usually offer stronger cc (unless it's staff in wvw, which makes ele a very strong zoning tool with big aoes and cc).

Thanks so much steki.1478. Great insight. Re: locked into a role, I should have specified my intent was to play the role required either by a group or by an encounter - switching builds and gear as required as opposed to trying to both at the same time (a poor example but valid one is in my WoW days, I'd run a toon that could both tank and heal, with specific gear for either, and I'd switch as required). Is that possible for GW2 (I'm quite new, sorry)?

I'm still exploring the professions - I usually like to have one or two multi toons (tank/heals, dps/heals, dps/tank), and then a dedicated DPS - there are a lot of nuances in this game I'm finding :). So far, I've just got this ele I'm leveling, and a ranger I leveled to 80 (but with no real idea of what to gear him with or stats to focus on).

Appreciate any thoughts on those or any other professions you find useful and fun to play :). And thanks again!

@Code.6512 said:

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:
    Berzerker stats
    Staff
    Fire/Air/weaver

You've hot the nail on the head - eventually I'd like to have the ability to serve as multi purpose depending on group need - DPS or Heals, with an ability to serve as a distraction through CC as well. As you can see from my post above, my cursory reading of the ele profession led me to believe it might be a good way to go for that.

In the power/precision/condition/heal mix you mention, I assume this would be the order priority as well?

Follow up question - what crafting professions benefit an ele most, or does it matter?

Thank you all for the time you're taking and the advice you're giving :)

As with wow, power/spellpower is best then either precision or condy then heal. Ferocity is not a great stat so that gives scope to swap in healing power which comes into its own when you are swapping elements regularly. As you primarily want to PVE, go a lot heavier on the dps stats and less heal - you can always build a 2nd set to swap to with heavier heal for when its needed. With weaver around 500+ stats to feel meaningful from a healing perspective imo.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

@Code.6512 said:

@steki.1478 said:

@Code.6512 said:

@steki.1478 said:

Thanks so much steki.1478. Great insight. Re: locked into a role, I should have specified my intent was to play the role required either by a group or by an encounter - switching builds and gear as required as opposed to trying to both at the same time (a poor example but valid one is in my WoW days, I'd run a toon that could both tank and heal, with specific gear for either, and I'd switch as required). Is that possible for GW2 (I'm quite new, sorry)?

I'm still exploring the professions - I usually like to have one or two multi toons (tank/heals, dps/heals, dps/tank), and then a dedicated DPS - there are a lot of nuances in this game I'm finding :). So far, I've just got this ele I'm leveling, and a ranger I leveled to 80 (but with no real idea of what to gear him with or stats to focus on).

Appreciate any thoughts on those or any other professions you find useful and fun to play :). And thanks again!

In this game there's no tanking mechanics and no need for tanks (person holding boss aggro with toughness stat) outside of some raid bosses. While tanking can be done with healers/tanky dps builds, it's most often done by chrono since it offers huge support while having lots of damage mitigation tools. Depending on game mode, ele can be both strong dps and strong healer, but due to current meta builds, healing build is rarely in need since other healers bring additional support. When it comes to hybrid builds, they are usually ineffective or just require very skilled players in group, as well as person playing such build.

Considering that gw2 is very alt friendly, having multiple classes that fill different roles isn't very hard to achieve, and is actually recommended for more competitive end game content.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    Froggo himself

• Sarpan.9074Sarpan.9074 Member ✭✭✭

I've just started seriously playing my Weaver and information in this thread has saved me a lot of grief.

I do PVE, metas and bounties mostly, and am glass cannon staff zerker and I was getting frustrated at its low surviveability. I thought I just sucked after spending so much time on my Mirage and Scourge, so it was good to know that it's a class/build characteristic and not just me.

After reading some of the info here, I started focusing more on the environment and less on my rotation and I started getting downed less. One thing led to another and more survival meant more time to think about rotation and I got better.

While I have a long way to go, I've improved a lot and am feeling more comfortable with the character and having fun with it, thanks to the advice here.

edited April 14, 2018

cool, rotations is really the realm for optimized raid style encounters - being reactive is a more fun gameplay style with greater freedom with skill selection and invaluable when you start to pvp/wvw :)

Beware the meta!

I've got my ele up to level 70 now, primarily going power/precision/condi and I already see the signs of the glass cannon, even in PVE leveling. I suspect I need to keep learning about rotation/environment as I'm new to game, and there are a number of nuances in GW2 that I did not expect. I'm leveling in Fire attunement, and have not really explored the others at all, so am not making any real use of CC or slows to help me stay out of range of heavy hitters. As always, any advice from anyone on this thread is always greatly appreciated :)

• @Code.6512 said:
    I've got my ele up to level 70 now, primarily going power/precision/condi and I already see the signs of the glass cannon, even in PVE leveling. I suspect I need to keep learning about rotation/environment as I'm new to game, and there are a number of nuances in GW2 that I did not expect. I'm leveling in Fire attunement, and have not really explored the others at all, so am not making any real use of CC or slows to help me stay out of range of heavy hitters. As always, any advice from anyone on this thread is always greatly appreciated :)

Well i dont know what weapon you are using but if it is a staff either use meteor shower so you are in it if the mob catches you or dont use it at all and just 2,3,1 and run away/4 ro keep distance. Another useful tip is to use lighting hammer since you get fury and might from aa in your lavafont an LH aa blinds so their atacks do no damage

• MoriMoriMori.5349MoriMoriMori.5349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019

Here I am, necroing a year-old thread :)

Another young aspiring elementalist reporting in. After reading the previous posts, about the "playing one niche role" and "staff/glass canon" and everything, I just wonder how much of this is really true? I'm asking because I find always using some super-effective, mainstream and "meta" builds and tactics dull and not worth your ingame time. Specifically, I don't like staff ele at all. I'm having a blast with double-dagger ele atm, and it's ten times more fun - and fun is the number one criteria for me when choosing how to spend time in a game - fun and challenge, to be exact. This setup gives me both. I've tried Scepeter/Focus too, but find it too strange, and much less dynamic than doulble-dagger. Scepter+dagger is not that bad, though.

So my question is whether it's really that much impossible to do most of PvE content (including at least low-level fractals and some raids as well) with my faviorite (so far) ele setup? I mean, technically, without accounting for things like group leaders which are obsessed with efficiency and will kick you out if you're using non-standard build (those I believe can be avoided by finding some casual raid/fractal community) etc? Like, I don't see it a problem if I'll need to spend 1.5x more time to kill things or will have to spend much more efforts to stay alive - until I still can complete most of PvE content, including most of the high-level things, I'm ok with it.

• I prefer marauder over zerker. The slight loss in dps is more than countered by 30% more hp.

• Megametzler.5729Megametzler.5729 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:
    Here I am, necroing a year-old thread :)

(...) - and fun is the number one criteria for me when choosing how to spend time in a game - (...)

I like this sentence. :smile: Have fun playing ele!

I can't really help with PvE though.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.