What's the point of having a second GW2 account?

GW Noob.6038

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:The main items: 55 laurels a month worth about 30 gold or so.

Question: What's the point? You can't transfer those to your main account, so it will leave each account at the same monthly amount of laurels.

You purchase something like T6 mats and send those over to you main account. This has been fairly common knowledge since laurels were added to the game.

You can buy heavy crafting bags (T6 mats) from the laurel vendors. Then sell for gold or transfer the mats to your main account. (This was hinted at several times in this thread but perhaps not specifically spelled out.)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logging in is a bit of a pain though. I bought a second account with the intention to play on NA but just ended up transferring my main account which was easier.

I log in to the second account every now and then to keep the rewards ticking, but it's a hassle to do and then mail gold etc across. Probably not worth the effort in hindsight - better to just do more in game activities for the gold.

Oh yeah, that's another reason: it gives you a way to play in the other region (NA or EU).

My second account is on NA, but to be honest because I don't play it much I tend to forget about it. But it does mean if anyone mentions things being different there I can go and check it out...unless it's time-sensitive. I'm not going to stay up until 3am to see what NA's prime-time is like.

If you buy gems with cash to convert to gold (rather than spend on the gem shop), then getting a second account even at full price turns out to be cost effective.

• The full price of an alt account is US$30, which could be used to buy 2400 gems, which you could translate into 500 gold (depend on exchange rates)
  • 55 laurels gets you at minimum 30 gold worth of mats. 22 mystic coins is worth at least 27 gold. That's conservatively 55 gold per month.
  • So at worst, your investment would pay for itself in 10 months just from logging it in every day.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine how much quickly one would break even buying the game at a discount, finding efficient ways to use laurels, or making use of the other suggestions above to increase the income from an alt account.

edit: of course the expansions go on sale all the time; the point was to show the worst case, using the lowest values for earnings, the highest for costs.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If you buy gems with cash to convert to gold (rather than spend on the gem shop), then getting a second account even at full price turns out to be cost effective.

• The full price of an alt account is US$30, which could be used to buy 2400 gems, which you could translate into 500 gold (depend on exchange rates)
  • 55 laurels gets you at minimum 30 gold worth of mats. 22 mystic coins is worth at least 27 gold. That's conservatively 55 gold per month.
  • So at worst, your investment would pay for itself in 10 months just from logging it in every day.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine how much quickly one would break even buying the game at a discount, finding efficient ways to use laurels, or making use of the other suggestions above to increase the income from an alt account.

Weren't the expansions just on sale a couple weeks ago? :anguished: :D

@GW Noob.6038 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If you buy gems with cash to convert to gold (rather than spend on the gem shop), then getting a second account even at full price turns out to be cost effective.

Path of Fire was 50% off until the 14th and I cashed in to buy two more copies for myself :pensive:

Then I accidentally registered and email for those accounts that doesn't exist and now I have to wait for support to change it xD

What I'm saying is: 15 bucks will pay for itself within a couple of months and I will be swimming in everything I could ever need material wise :)

@Blocki.4931 said:

Path of Fire was 50% off until the 14th and I cashed in to buy two more copies for myself :pensive:

Then I accidentally registered and email for those accounts that doesn't exist and now I have to wait for support to change it xD

What I'm saying is: 15 bucks will pay for itself within a couple of months and I will be swimming in everything I could ever need material wise :)

It's definitely a good investment...I'll just have to wait a bit before I can get things underway. ;)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

play a game of take/retake for Karma rewards etc

My accounts are all on the same server, I switch sometimes when outnumbered pops, I know its going to be there for awhile (ex Server X is midnight Ktraining again like they have everyday this week) and I need extra pips on another account. That's not against the rules either, but it's really no different than the cap swapping others do. The point is, even if your accounts are on the same server and you're a legit player, you still have the potential to benefit from the situation, because you know what's going on at that time and can use it to your advantage.

I have two accounts - one for NA and one for EU with both expansions.

My NA account is mainly used now for personal story and WvW since I have all classes on it. My EU account is for Triple Trouble - I used to do this event regularly on NA however the timing is not ideal (it generally runs during business hours in my region, so the EU times are more suitable). In addition, some commanders and players in authority/prestige roles there have exhibited toxic behavior there. While fortunately this isn't representative of the NA TT community as a whole, this was one of my main motivations for moving to EU for this event.

Another side benefit is working faster on guild hall upgrades (due to getting account bound materials on two accounts, and being able to progress upgrades on either account).