No weapon swap?

Graymalkyn.8076

Elementalists have 4 attunements, they work similar to weapon sets and elementalists end up with 20 instead of 10 weapon skills.

Engineers have a ton of extra F1-F5 abilities as well as weapon sets. They are not allowed a second weapon set because they already have access to way more skills than other classes.

Both classes end up with access to more skills than any other class.

• Like 2

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Elementalist, as Cyninja notes, have attunements, effectively 4 weapon sets.Engineer however is unrelated to toolbelt skills, insted of weapon swap they have Kits - that's their "weapon sets".

Ah I meant weapon kits when I said weapon sets. I'll leave it as to not confuse people.

I think it's because they get alternatives - the ele's attunements and the engineers kits. If I remember correctly those two actually have more skills available at any given time than other professions and I guess Anet thought weapon swap as well would be overkill. Or maybe they just wanted each profession to be a bit different and that was part of it.

I admit I've often wished I could switch between my eles staff and daggers while in combat, but there probably are already enough skills to remember without adding another 20.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:I'm curious as to why there are classes that don't have a second set of weapons to swap to (Ele, Eng), and what was the thinking behind it? I can't tell how many times I've been frustrated by this when using one of these classes.

Dude... Ele is playing the piano enough... especially as a weaver., :smile:

But yeah, for ele, it’s all the attunements.

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Oh, one thing I realise might not be clear! "On weapon swap" effects (such as on several sigils) do trigger off equipping/stowing kits and switching attunements!

Those also trigger from a bunch of other stuff as well ... including when you start/stop gliding in bloodstone fen because of the gliding skills you get there.

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:I guess that makes sense. Apparently I just don't swap attunements as much as I should.

Do not be too hard on your self ele is the gimp class of gw2. If your aiming to do dmg you tend to say in fire or air most of the time if you aim to do support healing you stay in water earth is mostly a self only or an in-btween cd swap.

Eng dose not get much from its wepon what it needs is a tool belt swap more then an wepon swap.

Ele gets a lot from its wepon to the point that it looks like they where made with swapping in mind in the first places. What has ended happening is a lot of the 20 skills are very much copy past of each other with just a slightly different effect.

@Danikat.8537 said:Even on my weaver I tend to stay in fire/air most of the time and only swap when I specifically want water or earth skills. I know that's not how you're supposed to play it, but for most fights it's more than enough.

That's exactly how I play too...except I really haven't found much use for the earth skills. I'm either doing damage (90%) or healing (10%).

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Even on my weaver I tend to stay in fire/air most of the time and only swap when I specifically want water or earth skills. I know that's not how you're supposed to play it, but for most fights it's more than enough.

That's exactly how I play too...except I really haven't found much use for the earth skills. I'm either doing damage (90%) or healing (10%).

Well If you really want to do damage you have to use water and earth also as those are part of your rotation(pve)

@Jski.6180 said:

Eng dose not get much from its wepon what it needs is a tool belt swap more then an wepon swap.

I find that I really like using a holosmith with a sword (light sword) main and a pistol secondary, along with the holo skills. (I know this isn't the optimal build, but I play what I like, not whatever the min/maxers deem appropriate.) This set up is powerful in melee, but really sucks at ranges. That's why I'd like to switch in those situations.

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Even on my weaver I tend to stay in fire/air most of the time and only swap when I specifically want water or earth skills. I know that's not how you're supposed to play it, but for most fights it's more than enough.

Well If you really want to do damage you have to use water and earth also as those are part of your rotation(pve)

I don't tend to worry about "the ideal rotation" of powers...I play for enjoyment over min/maxing. That being said, I'd be curious as to what you consider a good rotation. If I can get it down, that may increase my love for the Ele class (right now it's around 6th to 7th in my "fun to play" list).

@Graymalkyn.8076 said:

I find that I really like using a holosmith with a sword (light sword) main and a pistol secondary, along with the holo skills. (I know this isn't the optimal build, but I play what I like, not whatever the min/maxers deem appropriate.) This set up is powerful in melee, but really sucks at ranges. That's why I'd like to switch in those situations.

Your still getting most of your effects on holo from its F5 as well as its f1-f4. Yes you get some things from the sword/ shield or pistol main or off but its only a small part of the roll of the class. If a Holo or core eng or even scraper could swap its f1-f4 (f5 for core and scraper) you would get so many added effects for the roll your building for.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys found this thread on Google and it's a bit outdated there has been a quite recent patch that gave Elementalist and Engineer the ability to swap weapons Out Of Combat. As a main of both myself, I couldn't be happier as I can go ranged now if I need it between fights or different buffs(boons) before combat.

@Sir Sarus.6125 said:Hey guys found this thread on Google and it's a bit outdated there has been a quite recent patch that gave Elementalist and Engineer the ability to swap weapons Out Of Combat. As a main of both myself, I couldn't be happier as I can go ranged now if I need it between fights or different buffs(boons) before combat.

I'm happy about that too. :) I don't use it a lot but it's really nice to have the option.

My theory is that I wasn't being nearly as clever as I thought by putting different weapons into the second equipment slot and using a keybinding to swap between them and so many other people had the same idea that Anet decided they may as well just enable weapon swap for those professions.

• 1 year later...

obvioulsy an older topic but i wanted to put my two cents in. My issue with the lack of swapping weapons mid combat is this... I prefer scepter/warhorn for fire attunement but i prefer staff with water attunement. I dont like the healing skills for water when using the scepter/warhorn and i dont like the fire skills when using a staff. -shrugs- I suppose when im solo  it wont be so bad with scepter/warhorn but in group if im gonna need to cast decent healing skills i will need to accept the fire skills given with the staff. 

Edited by Little Kayli.7415
  • Like 1

With my elementalist I try to do a bit of planning before a boss fight to figure out whether ranged or melee is best. Some of the bosses in HoT for example, absolutely suck for melee and knowing that, I switch to scepter before the fight begins. It sucks not being able to switch mid fight but then that would give elementalists too many options.

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It would be interesting if they were to ever implement an Elementalist espec that would have in-combat weapon swap, but have element swap limited to out-of-combat only.

Id be fine with that across the whole class. Always thought it would be better to have two attunments with a weapon swap anways. My biggest gripe and hate with ele (and ive got 2.5k hours on mine) is not being able to switch between ranged and melee weapons. I used to run the ice bow for that, but its not worth it it anymore.

Really hampering when it comes to open world pve, and honestly just for pve they could enable weapon swapping in combat, big ol QOL feature for ele in pve 😕

• Like 2