Canon explanation for disappearance of monks?

Zola.6197

Obviously they wanted the game to be less reliant on the trinity, but from an in universe perspective... what happened?

I vaguely remember the notion that the skills of monks spread out into new professions over the years, but there are a lot of powerful monk abilities that are just gone now.

Arguably you could say a lot of monks morphed into guardians and druids over the centuries, but I’m not finding much info on a solid canon explanation. Couldn’t find a thread focused on the subject in the lore category, so here we are.

• 2 weeks later...

its clearly stated in one of the gw2 books, the 1st time we see guardians, it states they have evolved from warriors, monks, and ritualists. I forget the books name but I believe its the one about the ocean and lions arch. The main character has a doll from his dead little sister and he was the first captain of LA or whatever they call it in game.

@"Chrono.6928" said:its clearly stated in one of the gw2 books, the 1st time we see guardians, it states they have evolved from warriors, monks, and ritualists. I forget the books name but I believe its the one about the ocean and lions arch. The main character has a doll from his dead little sister and he was the first captain of LA or whatever they call it in game.

The name of the book is "Sea of Sorrows"

• 1 year later...

I feel monks do exist still , they're more combat focused than healing. My best guess is that they more or less practice their profession alongside pure Ritualists in the Canthan region as that school of magic fits more with that region than the main land now. They've probably developed a different hybrid of the two there as well.