Is there a server that *likes* rangers?

Laurencius.9258

If you are talking about ‘in squads’ you are going to have difficulty anywhere.

Now, that’s not to say some commanders have no problems when they are running open tags, but many on most servers will ask for a more specific comp.

And in many of their opinions, a ranger offers minimal to the group that some other class/build will be able to do better.

Welcome to schrodinger's profession, buddy.The profession that's both overpowered and an absolute waste of a slot.

You had better get used to taking criticism. I certainly get called out whenever I bring my ranger into a group fight by the people who know I have a spec'd scourge.

~ Kovu

If all rangers wanting to play range would just swap to Rev, now that will be very useful in any zerg/squad.

But then again most Rangers think they are there to just pew pew and not know the full potential of longbow 5.That skill can so easily clear siege on walls and supply huts if you have the view options set correctly but not many rangers know or do that.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:If all rangers wanting to play range would just swap to Rev, now that will be very useful in any zerg/squad.

But then again most Rangers think they are there to just pew pew and not know the full potential of longbow 5.That skill can so easily clear siege on walls and supply huts if you have the view options set correctly but not many rangers know or do that.

Don't let the secret out! Anet will nerf it or people might actually use it....

And stances can be useful if used well, spec a proper merge (so you gives heals, etc..not pew pew power), be useful scouting and don't turn tail and run at the first sign of trouble (thereby ensuring defeat), learn to position properly, snipe targets (and the right targets), clear siege and don't play pure damage and no defence, and be better than most of the zerglings- and you shouldn't have to take too long to persuade commanders to let you in the squad.

But don't expect to keep your place if the squad gets full- you can perform just as well without taking up a space of someone who is on voice comms.

@"Mini Crinny.6190" said:Gandara will probably take you on

You misspelled "gankdara"

@Baldrick.8967 said:

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:If all rangers wanting to play range would just swap to Rev, now that will be very useful in any zerg/squad.

Don't let the secret out! Anet will nerf it or people might actually use it....

And stances can be useful if used well, spec a proper merge (so you gives heals, etc..not pew pew power), be useful scouting and don't turn tail and run at the first sign of trouble (thereby ensuring defeat), learn to position properly, snipe targets (and the right targets), clear siege and don't play pure damage and no defence, and be better than most of the zerglings- and you shouldn't have to take too long to persuade commanders to let you in the squad.

But don't expect to keep your place if the squad gets full- you can perform just as well without taking up a space of someone who is on voice comms.

With right target you mean the enemy commander? :^)

Rangers are a strong small scale roaming class, just like Thieves.They shouldn't demand to be in pug squads, who are just looking for fights in the first place, because meta classes: like FBs, Scourges, Revs, SPbs and a few Eles, with proper builds, perform and synergize better in those squads.

For some reason Deso, allows this one healing tempest to tag along though..

@"CrimsonNeonite.1048" said:Rangers are a small scale roaming class, just like Thieves. They shouldn't demand to be in squads, who are just looking for fights, in the first place, because meta classes with proper builds, perform and synergize better.

Not true after the recent changes.I've been seeing more and more soulbeasts being used in guild comps.Perhaps pug squads have not caught wind of that trend yet or perhaps only organised guilds can pull it off.

Video here near the end showing a guild comp running at least 2 soulbeasts out of the roughly 10 players that they had. So 1 soulbeast per party of 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCJB-1ZAB8M

Rangers are great for roaming, but if you camp longbow in a zerg on zerg fight, enough comps run reflects that you will do more harm than good.

Druid camping staff and a swap to longbow can be really good in zergs. Firebrand is better, but I find it hard to believe people would get upset over druid support.

Oh, you mean like a Staff Ele can do with Meteor Shower while contributing more to a zerg fight?

@Laurencius.9258 said:It's expensive to randomly change servers whenever other players harass me for being a ranger. Does anyone know a server that actually wants rangers for WVW? Thanks in advance!

You want a place where rangers aren't scorned? Especially soulbeasts? Come to SoS.. oh wait we're full! :( But you could come to the linked server, (currently SoR). People that scorn rangers with zergs have a faulty way of thinking. Yes I agree that if all you want is to go out and fight in the field forever then you don't want a big squad of rangers... but they DO (at least mine does) a huge amount of damage to a lot of people at once (despite what non ranger players say), and cleaving downs is a great function from the outside of the fight. I also have a decent amount of survivability.... when I'm not targeted that is! lol People see Platinum and above and love to mob them for some reason.

Let's move to the other parts of WvW. Believe it or not WvW is not all about the fights. We actually capture towers and Keeps. Inside these structures is siege, and even with the nasty changes ANet has done to make it harder to 'see' over the wall I can still take down siege that's hitting our group. Add a few more rangers and siege doesn't last more than a minute or two. We are able to get in quicker and alive. Remove all the rangers and try to rely on an ele or two and tell me how well that goes. Ele's can't range like rangers can, they can't fire into a group and hit 5 targets at once and so on... and they can't put out the sustained damage that my ranger can.

If you're good at ranger then nobody I know on my server is going to deny you entry into a squad. Look me up in game and we can chat more if you are serious. Move to SoR then if SoS ever opens you can move here. :)

My ign: Tim Pearces Hearts aka balthazzarr.1349

@Hesacon.8735 said:Rangers are great for roaming, but if you camp longbow in a zerg on zerg fight, enough comps run reflects that you will do more harm than good.

Druid camping staff and a swap to longbow can be really good in zergs. Firebrand is better, but I find it hard to believe people would get upset over druid support.

I run soulbeast almost exclusively. Now and then I switch to spellbreaker or mesmer for variety. But.... all this talk about reflects is sooooo highly overrated. In all the years I've been running ranger up to and including now I probably encounter reflect to my longbow maybe once a week if at all... and THAT is when I'm fighting roamers.. not zergs. Why? Because I'm patient.. I never hit first. I wait for the group to attack, I watch for the enemy to be grouping toward a location, then I power up the buffs (increasing to 90-100% crit chance and over 240% crit damage and 3k power).. and pound the spot. Typically I see at least 3-5 people downed by the time the barrage is done. Then I start cleaving.

If you play it right, you ARE very helpful. No I don't do healing, no I don't clear condi... I am purely a dps beast that knows how to play with a zerg and the groups I run with have no problem with me doing what I do. AND of course, I clear wall siege like nobody's business... ;)

@CrimsonNeonite.1048 said:Rangers are a strong small scale roaming class, just like Thieves.They shouldn't demand to be in pug squads, who are just looking for fights in the first place, because meta classes: like FBs, Scourges, Revs, SPbs and a few Eles, with proper builds, perform and synergize better in those squads.

I get that, but explain to me-- and I really mean explain and not argue... explain to me how that is fun.I just don't get it. I want to understand...

Two groups of Like Minded Individuals fighting open field with the same exact set of toolssame classessame mindsetI like WvW but I just don't understand how that is enjoyable.