Is there a server that *likes* rangers?

Laurencius.9258

@LetoII.3782 said:Agreed, it's not the class so much as the people playing it.Ranger offers a really lazy, low-information way to play and carries people just enough to where they think no improvement is needed beyond pressing 2.

It's possible that might be true for some rangers? I can't say most because frankly I don't know. For all the Ranger promo that I do in here I do have to agree that too many of the people I see playing the ranger class really don't play it well or seem to understand it. There are other rangers that run in our groups that I'm happy to say know the class so when we're hitting a structure we can clear siege quickly. btw, axe #4 can be used to pull people off a wall, one of the ranger pets has a pull as well... so many people don't realize this.

If more people would take the time to really understand and USE this class to its potential then it would be much more welcome in these groups.. I think. :)

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@"CrimsonNeonite.1048" said:Rangers are a small scale roaming class, just like Thieves. They shouldn't demand to be in squads, who are just looking for fights, in the first place, because meta classes with proper builds, perform and synergize better.

For some reason Deso, allows this one healing tempest to tag along though..

Not true after the recent changes.I've been seeing more and more soulbeasts being used in guild comps.Perhaps pug squads have not caught wind of that trend yet or perhaps only organised guilds can pull it off.

Video here near the end showing a guild comp running at least 2 soulbeasts out of the roughly 10 players that they had. So 1 soulbeast per party of 5?

Don't know that you can claim a guild comp is using multiple soulbeasts when only one was from the same guild as the other players. I also wouldn't call them boonbeasts as the pug soulbeast was a marksmanship build and the guild one didn't have moa stance on its bar either.

@Kovu.7560 said:

@"Sleepwalker.1398" said:and not know the full potential of longbow 5.Not to mention its the only decent way to tag for bags outside of the few you get for deleting targets one-at-a-time.But yeah. 25 might + sic 'em = dead siege in 2-3 barrage volleys. And you don't even need LoS.

Stances are not nothing, too. Rangers have a bad rep.

~ Kovu

They have a really bad rep. I chalk it up to the fact that most commanders don't have a clue what they're doing which is why they will continually lose to pug groups with smaller numbers. I've heard many times, bring a rev instead of a ranger.. ok sure, they provide constant buffs and hit like a truck. Unfortunately though, you have to get close enough where it's pretty much a crap shoot whether you'll make it out alive. Not to mention the fact if a ranger zeros in on a rev, the rev is pretty much dead in the water.

About a month ago, the server I was on that had a guild that a ranger only night. So a bunch of us who weren't in the guild jumped on rangers as well. I think there were 20-25 of us vs a 50+ group. The group of 50 couldn't do squat. Their mid & back line kept getting destroyed. The melee would just charge in; ranger group would retreat back in the towers or smc, then killed many of the melee when they started to back off. I think in the end their commander just gave up. Funny how a group of 25 "waste of slot classes" were able to take down a group double their size.

@"Jeknar.6184" said:

Oh, you mean like a Staff Ele can do with Meteor Shower while contributing more to a zerg fight?

Yes, Staff weaver that do 8k-10k or more meteor shower are excellent.I have no idea how to play ele but know how to proc the damage boost and positioning well enough to drop where zerg is going.Staff can get wall siege easy but rangers can go even further beyond the wall.Here are some screenshots of how far they can hit.Those arrows hitting the shield gen is from a ranger bow 5.

https://imgur.com/a/hhHZtPZ

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:If all rangers wanting to play range would just swap to Rev, now that will be very useful in any zerg/squad.

But then again most Rangers think they are there to just pew pew and not know the full potential of longbow 5.That skill can so easily clear siege on walls and supply huts if you have the view options set correctly but not many rangers know or do that.

Oh, you mean like a Staff Ele can do with Meteor Shower while contributing more to a zerg fight?

I don't know if you're just clueless or what, but a ranger can hit WAY, WAY more things than a meteor shower ever can.

@shortcake.8659 said:

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:If all rangers wanting to play range would just swap to Rev, now that will be very useful in any zerg/squad.

But then again most Rangers think they are there to just pew pew and not know the full potential of longbow 5.That skill can so easily clear siege on walls and supply huts if you have the view options set correctly but not many rangers know or do that.

I don't know if you're just clueless or what, but a ranger can hit WAY, WAY more things than a meteor shower ever can.

To be fair, so few rangers know they can do this it escapes public attention

As has been noted over and over in the thread, there is no server that keeps you from playing a Ranger but there are plenty of squads who do.

However, even the people who argue for the Ranger here make no argument as to why they should be in a squad.They make arguments about how they are best played but those arguments involve taking another position than a commander while not being dependent upon boons or making use of providing boons. That is what squads are entirely about: positioning and boons.

If there is anything that makes Rangers disliked it is foremost that, that they themselves do not see how they are best played (self sufficient focus parties, roaming, havoc) and aim to play that way. Nothing makes Rangers more disliked than the players on them who complain and demand to be in squads, playing their class wrong. A Ranger can run with a squad he just doesn't have to be in it.

This has been answered in one of the multiple similar threads. Ranger is good, great in the right hands (and those are not many, I assure you), but in blobbing/zergs, it doesnt contribute as much as other classes. Scourges, weavers, firebrands, revs all outclass the ranger in some point (corrupts, boonspams and heals, ranged dmg, aoe dmg). You can perfectly well tag along the main zerg, and pewpew hapless scourges/weavers/revs that are separated from the main zerg, or pewpew walls etc with barrage. There is no real hate to rangers (apart from some very toxic servers), but in zerging, other classes do a similar job but much better. With that in mind, play what you want, ignore haters, but do not expect to be welcomed to a blob.Have fun!

There’s no bullying, we all love you cute rangers, I assure you. The hate is just a meme (it’s just a prank bro).Anyways, if your zerg has good amount of meele train and backline, then go ahead and pewpew, you will be useful getting down eles and revs. But if it lacks meeles or backliners then sorry, but you arent playing class that will carry fight. On the other hand you can just simply roam instead of trying to be a zerg class, SB is Imba roamer atm.

@Hesacon.8735 said:Rangers are great for roaming, but if you camp longbow in a zerg on zerg fight, enough comps run reflects that you will do more harm than good.

Druid camping staff and a swap to longbow can be really good in zergs. Firebrand is better, but I find it hard to believe people would get upset over druid support.

Never really seen someone getting called out for being a druide , only the typical question: Why druide when you could play Firebrand?

If you're in Europe, Gandara have a cloud zerg on home borderlands most nights. People spread out and come together to face blobs when needed. Direct damage is good, when it's a death from a thousand stings. Other Commanders aren't too meta unless zerg is full.

@"Henry.5713" said:Asking why rangers aren't wanted in WvW blobbing is like asking why a pickup isn't wanted in F1 racing. They may have many uses outside of this racing squad but they will never be able to properly compete in said environment.But the pickup truck can still win when you got F1 drivers saying they dont care about the race and they're only there to dragrace against each other in the pit, some driving in circles and others stopping every 20m to get out and build obstacles for F1 cars that pickup trucks just drive over.

As a sidenote we did have a pretty amusing situation yesterday. Before the raid its only zerg classes/meta builds everything else will get kicked, during the raid we had a situation where some said "yeah only rangers can hit that AC" and the commander went "can all our rangers hit that?"...

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Henry.5713" said:Asking why rangers aren't wanted in WvW blobbing is like asking why a pickup isn't wanted in F1 racing. They may have many uses outside of this racing squad but they will never be able to properly compete in said environment.But the pickup truck can still win when you got F1 drivers saying they dont care about the race and they're only there to dragrace against each other in the pit, some driving in circles and others stopping every 20m to get out and build obstacles for F1 cars that pickup trucks just drive over.

As a sidenote we did have a pretty amusing situation yesterday. Before the raid its only zerg classes/meta builds everything else will get kicked, during the raid we had a situation where some said "yeah only rangers can hit that AC" and the commander went "can all our rangers hit that?"...

Yes, it's pretty funny to me.. the mostly "one trick pony" called spellbreaker which is mainly good for the short lived bubble and boring to play otherwise is lauded like a little god. My Ranger puts out a lot more damage to a lot more people than a spellbreaker can and yes it can reach those spots nobody else can. Ranger may be scorned in many other servers but at least on my server we KNOW how to make good use of them since as most people know... we don't JUST do fights! ... and even in fights I kill a LOT.

Wait for the alliance system (if it arrives anytime soon) and then get into a guild which wants rangers.I personally have an issue in my wvw server, when there is not a tag i play with ranger as roaming. And then a tag appears and i'm forced to stay in ranger because there is a queue in the map now (because it is the only tag) so i can't swap to a rev or scourge.

So when i play around a zerg i know i do more damage than good (even if i do not get into any reflect) but what else can i do?

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

Yes, it's pretty funny to me.. the mostly "one trick pony" called spellbreaker which is mainly good for the short lived bubble and boring to play otherwise is lauded like a little god. My Ranger puts out a lot more damage to a lot more people than a spellbreaker can and yes it can reach those spots nobody else can. Ranger may be scorned in many other servers but at least on my server we KNOW how to make good use of them since as most people know... we don't JUST do fights! ... and even in fights I kill a LOT.

You also failed to mention that your ranger doesnt cast WoD, which massively removed enemy boons, hence allowing the squad to bomb and kill a substantial portion of the enemy zerg. You also failed to mention that spellbreaker offers mass cc, more boon removal than a ranger. The dps part is at the very least laughable, cause a spellbreaker with the above mentioned skillset offers waaaaaaaay more in the blob than you. And if dps is the issue, play weaver.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

You also failed to mention that your ranger doesnt cast WoD, which massively removed enemy boons, hence allowing the squad to bomb and kill a substantial portion of the enemy zerg. You also failed to mention that spellbreaker offers mass cc, more boon removal than a ranger. The dps part is at the very least laughable, cause a spellbreaker with the above mentioned skillset offers waaaaaaaay more in the blob than you. And if dps is the issue, play weaver.

wod is so easy to move out of it’s laughable. I don’t say Ranger is better in a zerg though, but it IS less boring as regardless of the negative emotes it still does kill a lot of enemy. In other words it’s not as useless as people keep saying and for zergs doing more than just fighting it’s essential imo.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:Yes, it's pretty funny to me.. the mostly "one trick pony" called spellbreaker which is mainly good for the short lived bubble and boring to play otherwise is lauded like alittle god. My Ranger puts out a lot more damage to a lot more people than a spellbreaker can and yes it can reach those spots nobody else can. Ranger may be scorned > in many other servers but at least on my server we KNOW how to make good use of them since as most people know... we don't JUST do fights! ... and even in fights I kill > a LOT.

A squad has to dodge out of Winds.A squad doesn't have to dodge out of LB 2 or 5