Is there a server that *likes* rangers?

Laurencius.9258

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

@"Henry.5713" said:Asking why rangers aren't wanted in WvW blobbing is like asking why a pickup isn't wanted in F1 racing. They may have many uses outside of this racing squad but they will never be able to properly compete in said environment.But the pickup truck can still win when you got F1 drivers saying they dont care about the race and they're only there to dragrace against each other in the pit, some driving in circles and others stopping every 20m to get out and build obstacles for F1 cars that pickup trucks just drive over.

As a sidenote we did have a pretty amusing situation yesterday. Before the raid its only zerg classes/meta builds everything else will get kicked, during the raid we had a situation where some said "yeah only rangers can hit that AC" and the commander went "can all our rangers hit that?"...

Yes, it's pretty funny to me.. the mostly "one trick pony" called spellbreaker which is mainly good for the short lived bubble and boring to play otherwise is lauded like a little god. My Ranger puts out a lot more damage to a lot more people than a spellbreaker can and yes it can reach those spots nobody else can. Ranger may be scorned in many other servers but at least on my server we KNOW how to make good use of them since as most people know... we don't JUST do fights! ... and even in fights I kill a LOT.

You also failed to mention that your ranger doesnt cast WoD, which massively removed enemy boons, hence allowing the squad to bomb and kill a substantial portion of the enemy zerg. You also failed to mention that spellbreaker offers mass cc, more boon removal than a ranger. The dps part is at the very least laughable, cause a spellbreaker with the above mentioned skillset offers waaaaaaaay more in the blob than you. And if dps is the issue, play weaver.

wod is so easy to move out of it’s laughable. I don’t say Ranger is better in a zerg though, but it IS less boring as regardless of the negative emotes it still does kill a lot of enemy. In other words it’s not as useless as people keep saying and for zergs doing more than just fighting it’s essential imo.

Uhm... I dont know which server youre on, but if you want to see how essential ranger is in blobs (compared to spellbreaker) , have a look at Vabbi 's ranger build for blobs.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@"Henry.5713" said:Asking why rangers aren't wanted in WvW blobbing is like asking why a pickup isn't wanted in F1 racing. They may have many uses outside of this racing squad but they will never be able to properly compete in said environment.But the pickup truck can still win when you got F1 drivers saying they dont care about the race and they're only there to dragrace against each other in the pit, some driving in circles and others stopping every 20m to get out and build obstacles for F1 cars that pickup trucks just drive over.

As a sidenote we did have a pretty amusing situation yesterday. Before the raid its only zerg classes/meta builds everything else will get kicked, during the raid we had a situation where some said "yeah only rangers can hit that AC" and the commander went "can all our rangers hit that?"...

Yes, it's pretty funny to me.. the mostly "one trick pony" called spellbreaker which is mainly good for the short lived bubble and boring to play otherwise is lauded like a little god. My Ranger puts out a lot more damage to a lot more people than a spellbreaker can and yes it can reach those spots nobody else can. Ranger may be scorned in many other servers but at least on my server we KNOW how to make good use of them since as most people know... we don't JUST do fights! ... and even in fights I kill a LOT.

You also failed to mention that your ranger doesnt cast WoD, which massively removed enemy boons, hence allowing the squad to bomb and kill a substantial portion of the enemy zerg. You also failed to mention that spellbreaker offers mass cc, more boon removal than a ranger. The dps part is at the very least laughable, cause a spellbreaker with the above mentioned skillset offers waaaaaaaay more in the blob than you. And if dps is the issue, play weaver.

wod is so easy to move out of it’s laughable. I don’t say Ranger is better in a zerg though, but it IS less boring as regardless of the negative emotes it still does kill a lot of enemy. In other words it’s not as useless as people keep saying and for zergs doing more than just fighting it’s essential imo.

Uhm... I don't know which server you're on, but if you want to see how essential ranger is in blobs (compared to spellbreaker) , have a look at Vabbi 's ranger build for blobs.

Well I'm not really comparing the two as blob fighters... As I have noted they aren't the best thing in zergs if all you're doing is fighting. If, however, you are fighting AND taking towers and keeps then the Ranger becomes an extremely valuable tool to have around. I run all classes. Love ranger/soulbeast the best for the fun of it. If we're into full heavy fighting I typically switch to another class but mostly stay on my soulbeast as much as I can.

I find soulbeast more versatile than most other classes, (for me!), so that's where I find my fun. My only issue is with people continuing to say it simply has no place in zergs when actually it does. ;)

The server that has a different game on it as gw2 wvw is effectively 3 class only meta worst yet is 3 builds only meta. Anet did this and only made it worst. You realty should ask anet why have they made it this way as its all on them the player base is only reacting to anet balance choese.

Good for you if you managed to use Rangers' strenghts to your advantage. They still do not replace Firebrands, Scourges or Heralds in blobs. No matter how much people want them to. They may have some niche uses but that's about it. Why even bring up Spellbreakers? They are on about the same spot as Chronomancers now. You want some but their uses are situational unless your entire play revolves around them. Never a good thing because it makes you rather predicatable when fighting strong enemies. These only situational uses still make them more desireable than Rangers, however.

If your opponent is competent, you should never kill a enemy scourge.

If your opponent is competent but had some slacker , you still should never kill a enemy scourge.Because he will be insta rezt.

Yes, you can bring enemy players in downstate but as long there are people around him, he will be insta rezt.

Thats why Soulbeasts were crazy op in the No Downstate week.(And actually Meta in WvW for that week)

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If your opponent is competent but had some slacker , you still should never kill a enemy scourge.Because he will be insta rezt.

Yes, you can bring enemy players in downstate but as long there are people around him, he will be insta rezt.

Thats why Soulbeasts were crazy op in the No Downstate week.(And actually Meta in WvW for that week)

That was fun. Everyone was playing Weaver and I was hunting them on my Soulbeast.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

odd.. I've lost count of the scourges I've killed that do not insta rez...

Having bad opponents doesn’t make you good.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Having bad opponents doesn’t make you good.

Not sure what the personal attack is all about but just because I can actually kill opponents doesn't mean they're bad. Just as playing a ranger doesn't mean you're a bad player.

@Laurencius.9258 said:It's expensive to randomly change servers whenever other players harass me for being a ranger. Does anyone know a server that actually wants rangers for WVW? Thanks in advance!

No. Rangers aren't good for team composition in both WvW and sPvP. Unless you're running a druid bunker heals, even then, other classes do that job better, like Tempest, FB, Chrono.

Ranger is acceptional and extremely broken for small scale. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc. High burst damage with unblockable attacks and channeled abilities, makes them scary in small scale fights/roaming.

Rangers (and all medium armors) don't have enough group synergy to work efficiently in a large scale play. They are often rally bots in large groups and almost completely shut down by reflect.

Because average or lower skilled rangers are ineffective unless they have numbers, rangers tend to clump together and don't efficiently contribute much either in scouting, roaming or ganking. Many simply stick to walls trying to get a single kill or gate hug. The pew-pew appeals to low risk players which creates a lot of animosity from "good" players.

Skilled players can be a menace with the class but they are mixed in with wall warriors, low risk players, players tagging along with guild groups as rally bots, etc.

What pisses me off about them is that 99% of them think the knockback skill on longbow should be cycled skill just like every other skill. Trying to kill an enemy before they get to a gate, rangers will often punt them into the gate. Melee has an enemy in a channeled melee attack, ranger seems to be there to punt them out of the damage. Knock a player out of a circle for a cap, yep some ranger shows up and punts them right back in. Need to interrupt an enemies heal, ranger used that knockback 15s ago just to do some damage.

To the OP rangers still play a lot of roles out there. Anti-scourage being one of the bigest. Had someone ask if we were an all ranger guild when havocing and we would all be playing rangers. Truth was a small group of soul beast sharing stances add a lot of boons and can pack a punch, in close and at range. And when you off-havoc off of one of your zergs you can apply some nice flanking pressure, and when that enemy zerg turns on your havoc and exposes its flank to your zerg. Priceless.

• 9 months later...

I've been playing this game since launch day . It the same old BS about rangers then as it is now. It's not that the rangers has "nothing to offer", it's people have gotten so used to hating rangers it's become a common opinion even for people that haven't even played a ranger or people who can't play a ranger properly. What's the long bow range up to now? 2000? I've hears as high as 2500 . This is how I know when someone hasn't played a ranger and simply hasn't got a faintest clue about the mechanics .Safe "Pew Pew " from range? Sure .but in order for a ranger to do any significant damage with Long Bow the player has to go full glass . That 1500 - 1800 distance can be closed very quickly and that Ranger is Dead. That's the trade off . Anything less than glass and a ranger may as well bring a feather to battle.Anything less than glass ,rangers can't pressure the current Meta . And as I've said before the only complainers about the damage and range of the ranger are the Current Meta players . So many times I have heard over coms "Somebody get that F'ing ranger !" Yet apparently rangers have nothing to offer. I hear complaints about the damage and range and "please nerf the ranger" yet Rangers have nothing to offer. No rangers don't have the boons or heals but they sure can lay a licking on a stubborn zerg of Fire Brand and Scourges .If your server doesn't want you ? Come to Tarnish Coast. We like rangers because we know their value when played properly.

They should just name Ranger and Thief to Scout junior and Scout senior.

This way people know that these classes are not ment to ran in large groups. Stay alone, defend camps, take camps, build siege, snipe small towers, get one scout friend and run around with him.

Any server that doesn't have competitive people (people who realise having a ranger in a largescale fight is worth having 1/3 of a real class), is already a linked server. Commanders want to win fights and/or take/defend objectives, this means they want a strong group. If they don't, their server will die.

Typing in team/mapchat that ranger is not preferrable class to educate people is not bullying, attacking a single player personally is. Just block them.

Yes Ranger could be mediocre in a fight where it is flat ground, but unfortunately most of WvW fights happen near and inside objectives, meaning your pewpew will be less than half as effective. It just isn't a good class. Lack of good melee weapon.

To be honest, talking to commanders from links and my own server for the past three years....they are either hateful towards rangers, spiteful towards rangers, or ambivalent towards rangers. Personally I blame Anet. Still seeing those Scourge/Firebrand teams interspersed with Mesmer and ele's. Maybe a few Scrappers thrown in for good measure. Lots of heavies. But nah, I don't expect anything to change with any of these commanders after listening to their "ranger suck" speaches for the past three years. I don't even bother trying to join a zerg even if it has room. If the commander, or the lieutenant in the zerg wants to grab me, great. If they dont' want me, then they won't even attempt to grab me, mostly because "Ohhh he's a ranger....." <---- Sadly, most of the commanders that USED to be on Jade Quarry went to different servers, and took that attitude with them. However, we still got a few with the same mentality of "Ranger's suck". Still.... I do blame Anet. Anet refused to talk to the community, and I still have seen absolute no discussion from Anet WITH the community on how to fix that. They don't want to talk about it, screw it. I'll do my own thing. I'll defend what I want to defend, i'll scout what I want to scout, and i'll fight what I choose to fight. Anet boxed me into a wall, not much other choice for ranger. All the rest of you say "reroll and play a different class that a commander needs...."....well that just means certain classes are unwelcome, unwanted, or not needed. Sorry to say, but that's just a very poor excuse from some of you that treat ranger's like garbage.