Black screen constantly when playing Guild wars 2

So since a while now my friend has been having an issue with Guild wars. Every time he's playing, his screen randomly but constantly turning black. He can't see anything on the screen at all no msgs nothing also it goes black for around 5~10 seconds and comes back. We tried everything like: changing minitors, the monitor's cabale, installing different versions of his nvidia graphics driver and even completely formatting his PC (from windows 7 to 10 and then back to 7, both has the same issue). Lowering the settings also didn't help at all and this last format we did today, screwed up the game even more to a point that he has it every 3~5 seconds about every 10 seconds constantly.

Any help would be super appreciate as we lost hope to what can cause his issue.

• 1 month later...

Check that the monitor is running at its correct (i.e., native) resolution and (most importantly!) refresh rate in the nVidia control settings.

Make sure the in-game resolution and refresh rate used are the same as in your screen settings.

See that hyper-threading is configured correctly in your BIOS and CPU settings. Try deactivating it for testing purposes and see if the problem persists.

Add the GW2 executable file to your antivirus' behavior shield's list of exceptions.

If you are using Windows 10, it could be an OS related issue. In that case, check if you can find solutions online.

• 2 weeks later...

@"dseanjj.9672" said:Make a shortcut of GW2 and go to Compatibility under "properties". Run it as your current OS and do not select "run as administrator".

Thank you, this helped me find a way of fixing what was happening for me, I changed the resolution and that stopped the blackouts, would never have thought to look in properties if I hadn't read this.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this post is old now but for anyone revisiting it. I have 2 monitors and an Nvidia GPU.

In my nVidia control panel, I override the default settings for each monitor:

Check: Display -> change resolution -> 3. Apply the following settings -> use NVIDIA colour settings -> Output colour depth

I had one set to 10bpc and the other 8bpc.

I think the explanation is that the GPU is loading in the different colour depths when the different windows are focused, and in that down time the screen does black. I fixed the black screen by setting both screens to the same value (8bpc).