Cape Requests [merged]

@Chyanne Waters.8719 said:Well if you want to show off your guild they have guild armor and guild weapons the weapons have a sash with the guild emblem on it. Capes are not needed please leave them in the past where they belong.

That is correct. They are not needed.

By that logic neither are minis, guild halls, outfits, colored infusions, chairs, toys etc.

An option of capes has been asked for by a large number of players. Monitizing it would be an option.

Could even make it a guild hall upgrade to take you from a level 69 guild to a level 70 or above guild hall.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anet said why we don't have capes. I miss mine.This post is like the hench/heros posts.Honestly if they could bring capes in and you dont care why not just accept it and click that 'don't show' and let others enjoy them.Same with Hench/heros. Who says you even got to use'em? Some of us would like them.Clearly a moot on both counts sadly.

@"Ruufio.1496" said:You have literally everything possible that you can put on your back other than something normal. If I told you they would sell like hot cakes would you do it? Because they kitten well would.

Look at this picture with the golden racing scarf, it looks like a cape from a certain angle:https://imgur.com/8CIYt0H

Just do it already. I want guild recognition and I haven't worn a single backpiece on any character over the course of 6 years because they're all terrible. Don't give me some nonsense about physics limitations or something - that picture is already basically a tiny cape.

It would help if they would give us the ability to hide stowed weapons, especially back stowed ones to reduce clipping with back items. Backpacks already clip as any cape would. Another thing I would like to see is shields doubling as backpack skins. There are some wonderful shields skins that look awesome on the back.

@Blocki.4931 said:Different question: Where would we even equip them?

Backpiece? Might be a bit lackluster compared to others.

Chest piece? Some chest pieces (heavy mostly) already have some type of cape near the bottom, doubling down on them would be bad.

Shoulders? Same problem as chest if pieces already have a semi-cape plus not being able to have a different shoulder piece would be bad too.

A new, entirely cosmetic slot seems out of question.

It'd probably have to be the backpiece. Otherwise your backpiece would clip through it. The racing scarf leaves the area between your shoulder blades free to avoid that.

Of course, that raises the issues of what would happen when you stow your shield or two handed weapon? Mind you shields and weapons float over your back anyway, so maybe that's not a problem.

Here's a Dev response on capes (the forums search function is a wonderful thing - I wish more people would use it):

@"MatthewMedina.5419" said: "Capes work in Guild Wars 1 because we only had human characters and our armor "footprints" were pretty standardized. As such, their absence in GW2 was an unfortunate casualty of moving to a MUCH more complicated composite system, and our increasing character art standards. Capes are tricky even when you have finite sets of armor to work off of, but when you go and build a system designed to be highly expandable, making sure capes work with all those possibilities without clipping across the ten different race/gender combinations, well it just became a WAY bigger deal."

@"kharmin.7683" said:Here's a Dev response on capes (the forums search function is a wonderful thing - I wish more people would use it):

@"MatthewMedina.5419" said: "Capes work in Guild Wars 1 because we only had human characters and our armor "footprints" were pretty standardized. As such, their absence in GW2 was an unfortunate casualty of moving to a MUCH more complicated composite system, and our increasing character art standards. Capes are tricky even when you have finite sets of armor to work off of, but when you go and build a system designed to be highly expandable, making sure capes work with all those possibilities without clipping across the ten different race/gender combinations, well it just became a WAY bigger deal."

Many things were not possible in the past for Anet but they constantly develop and implement new things in the engine ,mounts were not possible,gliders where not possible,sitting on a chair was not possible,if there is someone who can make it possible is someone from ANET.

• ArenaNet Staff

@kharmin.7683 said:Check the forums search function as this topic has been brought up several times.

It sure has! I note that a helpful member, @"lokh.2695" , created a list of the many times that this topic has been raised. We've merged a few of those cited threads into this one, a sort of "One (Cape) Thread to Rule Them All." :dizzy:

@Nury.3062 said:Many things were not possible in the past for Anet but they constantly develop and implement new things in the engine ,mounts were not possible,gliders where not possible,sitting on a chair was not possible,if there is someone who can make it possible is someone from ANET.I don't recall Anet saying that those things were not possible. Can you provide citations?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

We should totally get capes as backpiece skins since we literally have some now with pof backpieces.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 replied:Capes are problematic. They are difficult to animate well. Especially when it comes to tails. I know we had them in GW1, but animations there were much less complicated, including not having the ability to jump.

I think the OP is saying that we have that banner in and can we have the same item, but with a guild emblem instead. Which seems reasonable to me

It 'seems' reasonable, but the tech is apparently different. (My guess is that banners are simpler because they don't touch the character or armor.) I don't have the quote handy, so I'll see if I can find it later.

As I posted afterward, I think if people want more banners, they can do that.

But the newest scarf in the game acts very cape like. I presume they could apply that kind of thing to a cape.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:But the newest scarf in the game acts very cape like. I presume they could apply that kind of thing to a cape.It's entirely possible they diverted resources to update the tech.

Changes in the last two months have included other populist changes:

• Major overhaul to runes|sigils, including ability to salvage & craft
  • Official beetle adventures|racetracks
  • Updates to the original two festivals, including new skins, new activities, and some (suggested|requested) updates to the existing activities.
  • Balance changes to enable other classes to shine in support.

Obviously, some people aren't happy about all aspects of implementation. The point is: these are things for which folks have been asking for ages, so maybe ANet has figured out a way to address more such things... and perhaps capes might be one of the next ones. Or another possibility is that scarfs are going to be what we get instead of capes.

• 1 month later...