Chasing Tales Issues [Merged]

@"Gaile Gray.6029" Rifle achievement "Chasing Tales: Deadly Accuracy" is still bugged, and for those of us who have completed the other Rifle achievements first, we're stuck. As people have pointed out above it seems you're locked out of Deadly Accuracy if you completed the other Rifle achievements before it, as Deadly Accuracy and Preemtive Strike awards the same item (item called "Chasing Tales: Deadly Accuracy") on completion.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Gaesesagai.9421 said:I've finished the Chasing Tales: Harkon Hakson the Maelstrom today, so they're not bugged.

With respect, just because something works for you doesn't mean it isn't bugged. It means the bug didn't impact you. So congratulations, you're one of a tiny minority for whom this worked.

It is very much, completely, totally bugged for me (and seemingly for the vast majority of people). I have tried this in multiple locations (of Thunderhead), including in places that people have previously reported it working. I've tried it sequentially. I've tried it all at once. I've gone wayyy below 10% health, without being downed, and it doesn't matter. It doesn't work. Can't be done. Won't bother trying any of the others, because it's clear they aren't all working properly.

@Silvarion.8329 said:

@Gaesesagai.9421 said:I've finished the Chasing Tales: Harkon Hakson the Maelstrom today, so they're not bugged.

With respect, just because something works for you doesn't mean it isn't bugged. It means the bug didn't impact you. So congratulations, you're one of a tiny minority for whom this worked.

It is very much, completely, totally bugged for me (and seemingly for the vast majority of people). I have tried this in multiple locations (of Thunderhead), including in places that people have previously reported it working. I've tried it sequentially. I've tried it all at once. I've gone wayyy below 10% health, without being downed, and it doesn't matter. It doesn't work. Can't be done. Won't bother trying any of the others, because it's clear they aren't all working properly.

Or you’re part of the minority who this hasn’t worked for. You have just as much information on how much of the population that is struggling with this as the other person.

@ErolQuest.7209 said:

@"Deadly Moonshiner.1354" said:For me this worked - perhaps it can help you too
:// "")

It worked for me (and my guildes) only when we killed 5 spiders nearly at same time. .. 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes maybe?

Could be. I really don't know. Veteran spider takes a bit more time, depending on your dps. So I went for ordinary spider instead

The Chasing Tales: Like a wounded beast does indeed seem to be bugged for some. I've tried everything and at this point I'm just getting aggravated due to people suggesting the same thing over and over.I've been at it for hours on multiple classes trying multiple sets of weapons and techniques. 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 mobs, 6 mobs, necro shroud, warrior with axe/axe. None of it has worked.

I should have gotten the achievement multiple times now. Please look into it. Thanks guys.

@Spadudios.1436 said:The Chasing Tales: Like a wounded beast does indeed seem to be bugged for some. I've tried everything and at this point I'm just getting aggravated due to people suggesting the same thing over and over.I've been at it for hours on multiple classes trying multiple sets of weapons and techniques. 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 mobs, 6 mobs, necro shroud, warrior with axe/axe. None of it has worked.

I should have gotten the achievement multiple times now. Please look into it. Thanks guys.

Tell you how you do it. You kill the little spiders, hit the veteran doewn to 10 or 20 percent. Then you keep the veteran busy running around the column til the young ones respawn. Then you lean back, wait to be hit til you are under that requested mark and finish the mob in a second or two.

btw. Did somebody of the ones, who had - like me - problems with GUN (accuracy) already tried again? Would like to know if this problem has been fixed by now.

Chasing Tales: Wanderer's WayComplete 5 events in Thunderhead Peaks while wielding a staff.

I had purchased the item to unlock this collection with my Soulbeast and stayed in the map after unlocking it to work on renowned hearts for the day. I completed 5 events on my Soulbeast and this achievement was completed. Soulbeast can't use staff. Not that I'm complaining. But a bug is a bug. It seems the requirement to be wielding a staff while doing events is not true.

@Sita Droowan.5983 said:

@Spadudios.1436 said:The Chasing Tales: Like a wounded beast does indeed seem to be bugged for some. I've tried everything and at this point I'm just getting aggravated due to people suggesting the same thing over and over.I've been at it for hours on multiple classes trying multiple sets of weapons and techniques. 5 seconds, 5 minutes, 5 mobs, 6 mobs, necro shroud, warrior with axe/axe. None of it has worked.

Tell you how you do it. You kill the little spiders, hit the veteran doewn to 10 or 20 percent. Then you keep the veteran busy running around the column til the young ones respawn. Then you lean back, wait to be hit til you are under that requested mark and finish the mob in a second or two.

btw. Did somebody of the ones, who had - like me - problems with GUN (accuracy) already tried again? Would like to know if this problem has been fixed by now.

Rifle is still bugged. The issue lies with Chasing Tales: Preemptive Strike awarding the wrong item, i.e. it gives Chasing Tales: Deadly Accuracy. Like the bug with the Focus, you will end up with a duplicate of one item, and still be missing the third piece needed for the Chasing Tales: Baverne the Hunter achievement.

Rifle is still bugged. The issue lies with Chasing Tales: Preemptive Strike awarding the wrong item, i.e. it gives Chasing Tales: Deadly Accuracy. Like the bug with the Focus, you will end up with a duplicate of one item, and still be missing the third piece needed for the Chasing Tales: Baverne the Hunter achievement.

It is not same as with focus, with focus you would finish achievement but wouldn't get the item, with a rifle you don't finish it because for some reason doesn't count riffle kills.

@"Netko.9271" said:

It is not same as with focus, with focus you would finish achievement but wouldn't get the item, with a rifle you don't finish it because for some reason doesn't count riffle kills.

How can you tell that it's not counting rifle kills when there is no counter to display your progress?

Also, if you need visual proof of the bug...XZDrtfK.jpg

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

How can you tell that it's not counting rifle kills when there is no counter to display your progress?

[...]

By counting manually, killing more than 30, and not getting the achievement. I my case, 40, just in case I miscounted a little. Then 40 again on a different character class, and 40 again on another.

For those having trouble with the axe one, I had trouble with that too, on a warrior. I eventually got it using necro - gathered 5 regular spiders around me whilst wielding axe+warhorn, carefully got them all down to about 20% health each. Let them take my own health down to <10%, used warhorn 4 to stun them and then killed them all very rapidly, without using death shroud. It counted right away, the first time I tried it by that method.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

I talked to one of the designers on Chasing Tales, and they did some investigation into the bugs being reported. Looks like the issues with both rifle and axe have been noted, replicated, and confirmed and fixes should be rolling out in an upcoming build.

We're sorry for the issues that you're having and will get that all tidied up ASAP.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Hey folks,

I talked to one of the designers on Chasing Tales, and they did some investigation into the bugs being reported. Looks like the issues with both rifle and axe have been noted, replicated, and confirmed and fixes should be rolling out in an upcoming build.

We're sorry for the issues that you're having and will get that all tidied up ASAP.

So axe really IS bugged. Boo I am not the fool! I was starting to think I'm THAT bad of a player lol.Thank you so much Gaile and to everyone else working on this. I hope we can see the fix soon. Great job! :3

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Hey folks,

While axe is definetely bugged, there are some cheese workarounds while you wait.For the Wounded Animal, a necromancer’s shroud can ‘lock’ your health at <10%.As long as your shroud and combat persists, you should be able to kill a few spiders in the dungeons.Same spiders can also help with the Hatred, just use a ranged weapon to draw like 3 or 4 spiders to the veteran and her children.There’ll be a few spiders in a cluster which should net 7-8 kills in 20 seconds.

What i think seemed to bug most was the number, or criteria.Deathshroud helped me stay at <10% health, but you also have to stay in combat.The one just didn’t trigger at consecutive kills in 20 seconds until i got a lot more kills in the same 20 seconds

"Chasing Tales: Asaliea the Channeler" ( for focus) still broken - hasn't updated on my ingame cheevo yet. Deed #3 doesn't register. Though i've completed Chaing tales : Torrent of magic (which is deed #3) this being worked on?

edit : Ya know if i hadn't skimmed thru reddit i never woulda found out about the "Forge Master Hilina" thing for the focus cheevo. Kinda thought this woulda auto updated ingame and been fixed. :(

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:The time limit might be an issue. Apparently in German(maybe one of the other languages) it actually says seconds. The lower time limit does make a bit more sense as well when considering the thematic elements. 5 minutes is a very long time to do some kills when it is supposed to be someone on the last thread of their life.

I just checked and it definitely says "5 minutes" in English, German, French and Spanish. That said, I think the time limit might nonetheless actually be the culprit. I could not get it done on my necro as I did several groups of four within a couple of minutes - which would not suffice if the time limit was actually only a couple of seconds - but the other day I got the achievement by accident during north meta on my mirage when my health dipped low for a couple of seconds.

Groups of
four
?

Yes, groups of four. It was a group size I was quite comfortable with herding together and getting them to injure me to below 10% without too great of a risk of overdamaging and going from 30% hp to 0% hp in a fraction of a second before being able to get the kills.If the time limit was indeed 5 minutes and you defeat three groups of four back to back each while under 10%, that's 12 enemies defeated in 5 minutes while under 10% hp, 140% over the limit implied by the achievement's description. And while that apparently worked for some people to get their achievement, even going out of combat in between, it did not work for me even after several such runs, implying either that the time limit is indeed not 5 minutes but something significantly shorter or that the reports that you can heal up to above 10% before dipping back and killing more are indeed false (in which case the stated time limit is misleading at best since staying under 10% hp for more than 5 minutes in combat is a very special form of insanity).Another possibility would be that there are other issues (equip, traits?) preventing the achievement from being credited that are just not that testable without excessive investment in different gear setups and a series of lucky guesses.All of these issues could have existed and still be "fixed" by me switching to my mirage and luckily getting the right amount of kills during those couple of seconds I was very low on health during the meta.

@Charrbeque.8729 said:

Chasing Tales: Wanderer's WayComplete 5 events in Thunderhead Peaks while wielding a staff.

I had purchased the item to unlock this collection with my Soulbeast and stayed in the map after unlocking it to work on renowned hearts for the day. I completed 5 events on my Soulbeast and this achievement was completed. Soulbeast can't use staff. Not that I'm complaining. But a bug is a bug. It seems the requirement to be wielding a staff while doing events is not true.

Strangely enough, I completed the achievement on my Soulbeast whilst wielding the Priory Scan Gun, from the wagon near the Heart of Rhoban. I was puzzled at the time as to how the gun could be counted as staff, but then over the years I know many strange instances where people have completed their weapon kills with the something other than the correct weapon. May not work for you, but worth a try I hope. GL

@Moi.5013 said:So yes I feel I can confirm that it seems to be a matter of doing them in a specific order. I just got all 3 deed achievements. I unlocked it just today, went to the spider cave with my DE. I let the spiders hit me a couple times and then used only skill 2 and 3 to kill so not inflicting vuln. Got my 30 kills then killed a few with skill one for the cruelest efficiency making sure I took damage from them again, then killed fish for the one to not take damage. Achievement finished! Hopefully this info will help them to fix it :)

tried this on a warrior ... didnt work :-(The 30 kills aren't counted (yepp, the other 2 rifle achievements are still open)

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@"Netko.9271" said:

Also, if you need visual proof of the bug...
XZDrtfK.jpg

This is exactly what has happened to me. Got the item Chasing Tales: Deadly Accuracy for Chasing Tales: Preemptive Strike. Hope fix comes soon as this is the last weapon for me.