"about face" command bugged ?

Delweyn.1309

As long as I remember, I had this bug(?) / problem from the beginning.

In my playstyle (pvp) I use often the "about face" command and sometimes, randomly, when I push the button of it, the command is bugged or have problem. The problem is than, instead doing a full 180° turn (to move forward with some skill afterward) it just begins the move then nearly immediatly goes back to it's initial position (as you can see it in the video).

Players who use it in pvp then must understand how penalizing it can be in pvp. Instead doing a forward move, I just tp back into the enemy blob or in some walls (with the camera zooming with it). Or at the beginning of a match, I just spend my skill tp back in the starting point.

It happens with every button of mouse or keyboard. Single button, or ctrl+xxxx. And it's happening 1 time / 20-30 maybe. It's not everytime or often, but it happens always, a moment or another.I can get back to normal (button doing the right 180° turn) if I hammer the button.

Just in case I have

• Logitech, Inc. Gaming Keyboard G810 (USB connexion)
  • Logitech, Inc. G502 Proteus Spectrum Optical Mouse (Gaming Mouse G502) (USB connexion)
  • with the program always updated.
  • But i had this problem with my old keyboard and mouse too.

First of all, I would want to know if someone has already faced this problem ?

Yes, I have the bug too. Very annoying and costs me lots of deaths in PvP when I withdraw/roll for initiative back into enemies instead of rolling forward. It's not an "about face" bug though - it's something wrong with in-game camera. Can also happen while on a mount - you can't turn then. It also does not depend on mouse/keyboard and complementing software because it occurs on absolutely different PCs and peripherals to me.A workaround is to hold right mouse button and move slightly left and right - that's faster than smashing "about face".I don't think ANET will fix it until we find exact steps to reproduce the issue :anguished:

Ha, it reassures me a bit to know that it happens to some other people.And It would be nice to know what's the cause but with all experiences done I don't see what can be the cause of it. Seems complety random.

I don't play with free camera but trying it disturbs me. But I don't see why this option could be the cause of it. Because 95% of the time there is no problem.

@Delweyn.1309 said:Ha, it reassures me a bit to know that it happens to some other people.And It would be nice to know what's the cause but with all experiences done I don't see what can be the cause of it. Seems complety random.

I don't play with free camera but trying it disturbs me. But I don't see why this option could be the cause of it. Because 95% of the time there is no problem.

Because when you play without free camera than the camera does exactly what it does in the bug, it immediately turns you char back forward. It should not happen the way it does in your video but it looks like a bug caused by unfree camera. But in general playing with free camera is way better also for stuff like cast in your back during look behind. Also i never ever had this bug with free camera

@bravan.3876 said:

@Delweyn.1309 said:Ha, it reassures me a bit to know that it happens to some other people.And It would be nice to know what's the cause but with all experiences done I don't see what can be the cause of it. Seems complety random.

Because when you play without free camera than the camera does exactly what it does in the bug, it immediately turns you char back forward. It should not happen the way it does in your video but it looks like a bug caused by unfree camera. But in general playing with free camera is way better also for stuff like cast in your back during look behind. Also i never ever had this bug with free camera

Yes, ur right for the move, but what's strange is that I don't move at all, just press the button shortcut, don't touch anything else. And it continues to happen until I double click or spam the button shortcut.And why does it happen just from time to time ?Even if it's this option, there would be still a bug.

@Delweyn.1309 said:

Yes, ur right for the move, but what's strange is that I don't move at all, just press the button shortcut, don't touch anything else. And it continues to happen until I double click or spam the button shortcut.And why does it happen just from time to time ?Even if it's this option, there would be still a bug.

Some stuff just bug from time to time not always, i dunno i am not a programmer expert but it clearly happens that stuff only bugs from time to time. All i can say try to play with free camera, its better anyway.

Well, i've checked this once again and found that the bug is actually happens to me much more often then i thought originally. It is quite easy to reproduce: hold left mouse button down and press your "about face" key. If worked fine then step forward to return the character to previous direction and repeat. I've got ~30% of "about face"s bugged this way :/

@Sampson.2403 said:OP - regardless of the bug you should definitely play with free camera turned on. Running in one direction while looking in the opposite direction or to the sides, above/below you etc. Is just one of those things that you should be doing in all games like gw2.

Well you can see in every direction while running too (keep pressing forward). It's than the camera is looking front when you release left click (instead of right click).

@Delweyn.1309 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:OP - regardless of the bug you should definitely play with free camera turned on. Running in one direction while looking in the opposite direction or to the sides, above/below you etc. Is just one of those things that you should be doing in all games like gw2.

Well you can see in every direction while running too (keep pressing forward). It's than the camera is looking front when you release left click (instead of right click).

But you can't cast freely groundbased skills in your back during looking behind you (maybe its working with snap groundbased skills to target but then its still not an optimal setting to run without free camera and also you are not able to free place your groundbased skill with that snap groundbased skill to target option, so it is double bad)

• 7 months later...

@Doug.4930 said:Sort of necroing this thread, but did anyone find a solution to this? The amount of times this bug has gotten me killed. Was going to make a thread before I found this one.

Rotate your camera slightly before using about face. I think this is related to the reset your camera makes to center your view behind your character.

Taking control of your camera by moving it before the about face seems to work. Also seriously consider using free camera if you use about face. It reduces the occurrence of this in my experience.

@Vague Memory.2817 said:They should just increase turn speed. One of my pet hates of the game is I have to bind a key to turn around quickly. It's quite unintuitive, and all other PvP games I've played doesn't have this bizarre slow turn speed. If they changed that one aspect PvP would be much different.

There is literally a slider for camera rotation speed???

I don't have the weird glitchy shake. But i also got Rifle #4 bug. I do about face like i always used to do but Rifle#4 still goes backwards. Like 8 out of 10 times it will still go backwards instead of forward. Hope arenanet takes notice. Not sure bout other skills tho. I think everythin works fine. Atleast i tried Bow#3 and Roll for ini and it was fine. Just rifle#4 is weird.

• 9 months later...