Hours of grinding for Pristine Smoke Claw...?

I've read old messages here and on the web about this collection item, the Pristine Smoke Claw that drops from Smokescales. Have been grinding for hours with different characters to get it with no luck. Yes, I understand RNG. Yes, I know of several good spots to farm Smokescales. I don't expect it to drop on the first try but after killing 100s of Smokescale with no luck, this is NO FUN. None of my characters have the item equipped as an accessory. Any ideas?

@Ben K.6238 said:Is it possible you already received the item somewhere?

(I ask because I distinctly remember trying to grind an item in PoF last year, only to check my collection tracker and realise I'd already got it.)

That's an excellent suggestion, but I checked the collection and still need it. Also checked all my characters via GW2Efficiency, and don't see it in anyone's inventory.

To add insult to injury, now for the last half hour, NOTHING drops from Smokescale I kill. Zero, zip, nada. Is this a bug?

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

@"Ben K.6238" said:Is it possible you already received the item somewhere?

(I ask because I distinctly remember trying to grind an item in PoF last year, only to check my collection tracker and realise I'd already got it.)

That's an excellent suggestion, but I checked the collection and still need it. Also checked all my characters via GW2Efficiency, and don't see it in anyone's inventory.

To add insult to injury, now for the last half hour, NOTHING drops from Smokescale I kill. Zero, zip, nada. Is this a bug?

Perhaps, you've hit DR (Diminishing Returns) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

@Jeknar.6184 said:Try farm it with the character that is the profession of the collection... The ones from PoF require you to do certain stuff on the specific profession, maybe it was passed over.

Another good suggestion, and I am doing that. Farming with one character specific to the collection and farming with one that's not. I'll try ANYTHING at this point. Burnt sacrifices. Dancing under the light of the full moon. Bribes.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Perhaps, you've hit DR (Diminishing Returns)

I think you're right in that I've hit DR and will turn the game off for a while, or at least play other characters. Sigh.

If you are doing all the elite HoT weapons, you will get 1 to 3 of the specialty items that just do not drop. My main two issues were with the tiger claw and oh god that horrible Tengu feather, with the dust mite thing a close third. Smoke claw dropped before I even knew what it was for ... so it's just RNG and yes, you can slay hundreds and hundreds before you finally get it.

But it will drop. Eventually.

I have a friend who recently had the same problem. I asked him if he was farming it on a necro type class. He said no but then switched over and got it on the 5th kill. For what it worth I told him to farm near the golem HP in Auric Basin because that's where it dropped for me. Not sure which one made the difference but it worked for him. It's worth a try.

@Donari.5237 said:If you are doing all the elite HoT weapons, you will get 1 to 3 of the specialty items that just do not drop. My main two issues were with the tiger claw and oh god that horrible Tengu feather, with the dust mite thing a close third. Smoke claw dropped before I even knew what it was for ... so it's just RNG and yes, you can slay hundreds and hundreds before you finally get it.

But it will drop. Eventually.

Yeah, I got that Tengu feather with no problem. One of the characters I'm farming with is my Necro near the Golem HP in Auric Basin. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Guess I'll keep slogging away.

These types of items are fairly inconsistent. Sometimes you get them on the first kill. Other times it takes hours of killing. Same with the collection items for some legendary collections.

@Ben K.6238 said:Is it possible you already received the item somewhere?

If you are repeatedly killing the same thing over and over in the same area you will run into diminishing returns issues.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Perhaps, you've hit DR (Diminishing Returns)

I think you're right in that I've hit DR and will turn the game off for a while, or at least play other characters. Sigh.

More than that, you may want to try trading which map those two characters are in. Generally, the easiest way to clear DR is to take that character to another map and do a few events, so if you just swap them for a while, you might have a better chance.

I farmed for 3 hours for that item and 3 years later I still remember those 3 hours.

A friend joined me after the first hour and a half got the item within 10 mins. After the friend wished me gl and left me :(, I farmed for another hour and a half and then switched to necro, low and behold the item dropped soon after.

I feel your pain, but be patent with the necro because I think it's your best bet (even though my friend was on a ranger...).

Just logging off of those characters on which you farm them wont do much. As far as i know, DR gets properly removed only if you actively play that character somewhere else, doing some other content for some time.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but my solution to those random collection items is: don't farm. Most if not all of these collections are much easier done if you just forget about them and play the maps normally. I know many RPGs and especially MMOs have conditioned us to go farming, but in this game especially it's a recipy for burn-out and frustration, while being mostly unnecessary.

Play the HoT maps with different characters. Explore the maps, do the different event chains, have fun, and if you see a smokescale in your path, possibly take a tiny detour to kill it. The claw will come, and most likely sooner than you expect. This game is just so much more fun if you actually go out and play it and leave the unnecessary farming to other games.

@"Rasimir.6239" said:I know it's an unpopular opinion, but my solution to those random collection items is: don't farm. Most if not all of these collections are much easier done if you just forget about them and play the maps normally. I know many RPGs and especially MMOs have conditioned us to go farming, but in this game especially it's a recipy for burn-out and frustration, while being mostly unnecessary.

Play the HoT maps with different characters. Explore the maps, do the different event chains, have fun, and if you see a smokescale in your path, possibly take a tiny detour to kill it. The claw will come, and most likely sooner than you expect. This game is just so much more fun if you actually go out and play it and leave the unnecessary farming to other games.

Very well said. I think part of the reason I'm finding this so frustrating is that I am NOT normally a farmer. I vastly prefer low-key exploring and gradual discovery, and I don't stockpile things to make gold in the game.

So if any of you are also MST3K fans -- Repeat to yourself, "It's just a show; I should really just relax." =)

@phs.6089 said:boost your MF, get all you can, guild buff, food, etc. This should help.

@Glider.5792 said:

Just logging off of those characters on which you farm them wont do much. As far as i know, DR gets properly removed only if you actively play that character somewhere else, doing some other content for some time.

These are both excellent suggestions, as is:

@Rasimir.6239 said:I know it's an unpopular opinion, but my solution to those random collection items is: don't farm. Most if not all of these collections are much easier done if you just forget about them and play the maps normally. I know many RPGs and especially MMOs have conditioned us to go farming, but in this game especially it's a recipy for burn-out and frustration, while being mostly unnecessary.

I had to look this up to remember what it was for. It’s been s while but I’m pretty sure I got it just by playing the map a lot.

@"HazyDaisy.4107" said:I farmed for 3 hours for that item and 3 years later I still remember those 3 hours.

A friend joined me after the first hour and a half got the item within 10 mins. After the friend wished me gl and left me :(, I farmed for another hour and a half and then switched to necro, low and behold the item dropped soon after.

I feel your pain, but be patent with the necro because I think it's your best bet (even though my friend was on a ranger...).

I went into that situation, but in the role of your friend. The claw was the last last last thing I needed for the collection, and my favourite Reaper arrived in the recommended bit of DS. There was already someone there farming smokescales and we partied up. A couple of minutes later, I had it, bound it, and claimed Dark Harvest from the collection reward. The poor (...) who I had joined up with had to continue after that.

I direct your attention to the "punch line" of a song by The Fools, whose lyrics can be found at dmdb.org/lyrics/life.sucks.html, Life Sucks, Then You Die.