D912pxy-GW2 using dx12

Short version: people were quite wary because it was closed source and the Reddit community didn't trust a new creator, leading to a bit of a PR disaster. Now it's open source and has been peer reviewed and seems to be a genuine FPS boost for some people.

It is, however, very early in development and can crash unpredictably so it's not ready for mainstream consumption.

There are lots of reasons why Anet would not want to support similar technology in-house, for example that it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems and that the cost-benefit balance wouldn't be worthwhile.

@"Gulbasaur.1865" They wouldn't lock anyone out if they just did a quick check.if operating_system == "Win10x64" thenuse dx12elseuse dx9

Implementing dx12 doesn't mean that dx9 stops working and everyone must use the new stuff. They could even offer an option as to what to use. Either via the ingame graphics settings or a command line argument when starting up.

It would mean maintaining another system, though, which may not be worthwhile. I agree it would be cool, though.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that Arenanet devs probably haven't just sat in their offices blowing bubbles while some lone developer saves the day.

He's used a novel solution that, at the moment, crashes semi-randomly and has visual artefacts. Asking why the devs didn't come up with it is overlooking how development actually functions: sometimes an idea just needs to click into place and then have 80 hours of work put into it before it's even worth talking about.

How many hours a week can Anet devote to paying people to follow hunches? Hobbyist/amateur developers work on different principles as they can afford to experiment because they are literally doing it in their free time.

I mean, it's possible Anet have tried something similar but couldn't get past the "it crashes semi-randomly" thing and went for stability over getting an extra 5fps. It's too early to really know at this stage to know if this is a viable addon or one that will always cause crashes due to something the device couldn't predict.

I'm sure this has caught the devs' attention and at some point there will be a comment about it, much like there was with ArcDPS (e.g. that they don't have a problem with it but also will not provide any support if it has any negative effects), but given that the source code was released today, I think we should at least wait until they get to work on Monday before we expect any kind of response.

@Gulbasaur.1865 said:Short version: people were quite wary because it was closed source and the Reddit community didn't trust a new creator, leading to a bit of a PR disaster. Now it's open source and has been peer reviewed and seems to be a genuine FPS boost for some people.

It is, however, very early in development and can crash unpredictably so it's not ready for mainstream consumption.

There are lots of reasons why Anet would not want to support similar technology in-house, for example that it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems and that the cost-benefit balance wouldn't be worthwhile.

The later part is abit of a non true statement imo. There can be both dx12 and dx9 support no? Theres a number of games supporting multiple versions of dx, wow comes to mind.

Imagine my hype when I saw this number in my corner, even if it was in a relatively empty looking place : 144

60 plus in areas that would ordinarily hover around 40.

This project needs time, but this is juicy.

@Gulbasaur.1865 said:it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems

Doom 4 with OpenGL and Vulkan both accessible says Hi. And also HalfLife and Serious Sam with GL and D3D if you want to go way back. But yeah, big foreign concept right there.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:Doom 4 with OpenGL and Vulkan both accessible says Hi. And also HalfLife and Serious Sam with GL and D3D if you want to go way back. But yeah, big foreign concept right there.Alright Captain Condescending, you've made your point :-P

This project needs time, but this is juicyDefinitely. It's got real potential to help bypass some of the roadblocks that mean (moderately) graphically intensive games like the Witcher 3, BDO and Subnautica run better than GW2 on some PCs.

@"Gulbasaur.1865" said:Now it's open source and has been peer reviewed and seems to be a genuine FPS boost for some people.But is it really? Last time I checked Reddit the long post with this had mostly anecdotal quotes ("its faster because it looks faster") and the only comparison I saw showed a scene with different amount of players (less with active dx12 dll) and shadows bugging out so none showed. The result was - at a glance - "much faster" DX12 compared to DX9 with the "same" settings and about as fast as DX9 with shadows disabled. Go figure.

@Gulbasaur.1865 said:There are lots of reasons why Anet would not want to support similar technology in-house, for example that it's Windows 10 64-bit only and they don't want to lock out users on earlier systems and that the cost-benefit balance wouldn't be worthwhile.

it's 2019, all the enhancements Anet made to the engine is making the game pretty taxing even on newer machinesif they want they can go hardball like Microsoft, Intel and AMD, only supporting Windows 10 from Gen 7 CPUs

@Gulbasaur.1865 said:It is, however, very early in development and can crash unpredictably so it's not ready for mainstream consumption.

And that's another reason for Anet not wanting do work on it other than the public announced reason "little improvement"because it would take a lot of resources from the company to troubleshoot and fix them, we already have enough people complaining about content drought

the better option for them is to build a brand new engine = GW3but there has to be enough technical and financial justification for Anet to report to NCSoft to support the idea, everyone needs to remember, the leaders at Anet may want to do things in a certain way, but NCSoft the parent company may override their decision if it is not financially feasible for the company in the long run.

NCSoft could tell Anet to shutdown the game like they did with City of Heroes despite it had a positive balance sheet

@"crepuscular.9047" said:NCSoft could tell Anet to shutdown the game like they did with City of Heroes despite it had a positive balance sheet

As an ex-CoH player, I really hope not. I do think that was under old management, though, and it's not really representative of how the company works now. They kept Wildstar on for a reasonably long time past its (mishandled) prime and GW2 is still getting new content, although not at a rate some people would like. I've read that City of Heroes was a bit of sacrificial lamb to show how the management wanted to shake things up and I like to think it wouldn't do it again in a hurry.

Anyway, people have reported some modest performance increases. I don't think this is going to revolutionise the game engine, but I think it'll help it limp along a little further for some people.

Some people saw "200% increase" and exploded with joy, not realising that this meant going from 5 to10fps when things got overloaded as it was at the bottom end. The average seems to be an extra 5-10fps. Even with the dev-reported 20% it would be from going to 30 to 36fps for some people.

I'd really like to see Anet comment on this one from a multitude of perspectives. I have given this wrapper a try, and to say I am impressed would be an understatement. I had become complacent to how the game looked and ran even on relatively high end hardware, but what I see after trying this is a beacon of hope for the potential this game really has. Right now, the game is still crashing periodically when I use it, but until it does, "Dx9 vs Dx12" is a day and night difference in terms of smoothness, FPS, and visual aesthetics.

@"Saisya.1492" said:I'd really like to see Anet comment on this one from a multitude of perspectives. I have given this wrapper a try, and to say I am impressed would be an understatement. I had become complacent to how the game looked and ran even on relatively high end hardware, but what I see after trying this is a beacon of hope for the potential this game really has. Right now, the game is still crashing periodically when I use it, but until it does, "Dx9 vs Dx12" is a day and night difference in terms of smoothness, FPS, and visual aesthetics.This is what I mean :/

Sure it could be day and night... but picture comparisons (especially if you claim visuals changes). Fps numbers. Different locations.

Someone from the playerbase creating content to improve the game instead of the actual dev team doing something for it? What is this? Bethesda? Is GW2 becoming the next Skyrim now? Hell no...I's really wish they look into this and update this game officially as I'm afraid trying it out will get me banned or anything.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:@"Gulbasaur.1865" They wouldn't lock anyone out if they just did a quick check.if operating_system == "Win10x64" thenuse dx12elseuse dx9

Implementing dx12 doesn't mean that dx9 stops working and everyone must use the new stuff. They could even offer an option as to what to use. Either via the ingame graphics settings or a command line argument when starting up.

I'm not saying ANet should or shouldn't put development resources on this, but I did want to say (as someone who works with code on legacy systems) that your pseudocode there that sounds so easy is likely nowhere near that simple in practice. I get requests all the time for X feature that, in the user's mind, is so obvious/simple to implement, but actually utilizing the resources of the system in question would be difficult to impossible, or require additional customization that affects stability, upgrades, etc. The answer to developer inaction on a highly requested feature is never "someone didn't want to write five lines of code that have no impact on any other part of the game." Until you've actually experienced a development cycle there, you don't have a leg to stand on.

• 3 weeks later...

d912pxy is the best thing ever

@Cynder.2509 said:Someone from the playerbase creating content to improve the game instead of the actual dev team doing something for it? What is this? Bethesda? Is GW2 becoming the next Skyrim now? Hell no...I's really wish they look into this and update this game officially as I'm afraid trying it out will get me banned or anything.

Why the hecking heck would they ever ban you? It doesn't even edit a single game file.

@Bubba.2731 said:d912pxy is the best thing ever

@Cynder.2509 said:Someone from the playerbase creating content to improve the game instead of the actual dev team doing something for it? What is this? Bethesda? Is GW2 becoming the next Skyrim now? Hell no...I's really wish they look into this and update this game officially as I'm afraid trying it out will get me banned or anything.

Why the hecking heck would they ever ban you? It doesn't even edit a single game file.

There are some programs which modify functions in memory, which doesn't require file editing. However you're right, there's no risk of being banned for such a thing.

@#Cynder.2509: As I've mentioned in another thread, Linux users run the game by translating one graphics API to another (which is what this project does) and in 5 years I've never been banned for such a thing, nor I worry about being banned.