Will Dragonhunter Longbow Ever Receive More For PvE?

CoolCat.1863

Hi ANet Team,I just have the general question: Can Dragonhunter players in PvE look forward to any changes to the longbow damage/skills in the future? When playing using this weapon, I feel as though I am always switching back to greatsword to deal damage, because when I attempt to stay ranged on longbow, damages falls way short. The idea of a big warrior firing shots capable of "taking down dragons" interested me, but after fully completing the Dragonhunter specialization, I was a little disappointed. I don't mean for it to be over-powered, but at least wanted a decent ranged weapon for long-range fights in Open World and Story. So, will we see any changes within the next few updates? Thank you guys for answering all our questions and I look forward to hearing from you!Sincerely,Jaren

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to would love a moderate damage increase to lb. it’s a cool design skill wise and most importantly fun to use but the dps blows unless opponent is tearhered with big game slotted standing in a symbol which sybilic evenger etc trailed lol adding 15% damege increased to bow skills to spear of Justice active would be awesome. Also somthing a little extra to the knock back grandmaster trait to make if feel more like a grandmaster trait would be great. The lb seems mostly for utility but this way with a realistic set up it could do decent damage as well

Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like the weapon that an elite specialization unlocks shouldn't be garbage to use. I was so excited to finish unlocking Dragon Hunter, turns out I am yet ANOTHER profession using a greatsword. Starting to feel like no matter what I choose I end up with a damn greatsword.

@Wukie.1794 said:Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like the weapon that an elite specialization unlocks shouldn't be garbage to use. I was so excited to finish unlocking Dragon Hunter, turns out I am yet ANOTHER profession using a greatsword. Starting to feel like no matter what I choose I end up with a kitten greatsword.

It was decent as well as traps but soon after as usual when something another class has is effective all non guard players whined like babies to nurf it,welcome to gw2 community

@Wukie.1794 said:Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like the weapon that an elite specialization unlocks shouldn't be garbage to use. I was so excited to finish unlocking Dragon Hunter, turns out I am yet ANOTHER profession using a greatsword. Starting to feel like no matter what I choose I end up with a kitten greatsword.

Renegade's shortbow says HI.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the Elite Weapons are good, there are just a few exceptions:

Herald: shieldRenegade: shortbow is ok, but as Rev has such a small selection of weapons to pick from, people use itDragonhunter: longbowSoulbeast: dagger

All the rest are either widely used, or are BIS for meta builds:Holosmith: SwordScrapper: HammerBerserker: TorchSpellbreaker: DaggerChronomancer: ShieldMirage: AxeFirebrand: AxeDruid: StaffDaredevil: StaffDeadeye: RifleTempest: WarhornWeaver: SwordScourge: TorchReaper: Greatsword

While it blows that you have 4 elite weapons that are lackluster, the other 14 are rock solid; kind of hard to criticize that track record.

Well... 99% of the DH longbow's issues come from the cast time, like most of the issues you find on weapon kits. Reducing puncture shot cast time to 1/2 would make the AA a lot more pleasant to use. Symbole of energy already need to be targeted, reducing the cast time shouldn't be an issue. Hunter ward is a copy of the ranger's LB 5th skill but somehow end up being worst, there is a need for improvement here.

Uhm, ranged isn't supposed to deal more DPS than melee. Complains about dragonhunter longbow damage should probably be in comparing it to another power ranged set, sceptre + focus.

My main gripe with longbow is that the skill #5 (hunter's ward) has a too high cooldown (40 seconds) with no CD reduction trait, and that it doesn't align with my elite (traited shout, 36 seconds CD) to set up my bursts. :PIf the CD where reduced to 35 that would suit me just fine. n_n

You guys realize that most HoT specs were made for PvP right? I mean League Season 1-3 was when they were pushing for esports...

The only other reason LB sucks on DH is that it's burst damage vs constant damage, and the fact of AoE vs single target.

This is completely just balancing issues though, so gl with that.

@Roam.5208 said:I unwisely wasted one of my Luminous skins on the longbow, hoping it would be semi decent in PvE. Now I have to wait several more months to get a greatsword skin, because it's pretty much the only good weapon for Guardian :'(

You should be doing fine with it in PvE.

@Susy.7529 said:

Renegade's shortbow says HI.

Indeed.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Well... 99% of the DH longbow's issues come from the cast time, like most of the issues you find on weapon kits. Reducing puncture shot cast time to 1/2 would make the AA a lot more pleasant to use. Symbole of energy already need to be targeted, reducing the cast time shouldn't be an issue. Hunter ward is a copy of the ranger's LB 5th skill but somehow end up being worst, there is a need for improvement here.

Yeah, I think a handful of QoL improvements would make the weapon great. I love using it, much like I love using Renegade shortbow, it is just so sad that you take a hit to your overall efficiency to use something so fun.

@Tormod.5018 said:You guys realize that most HoT specs were made for PvP right? I mean League Season 1-3 was when they were pushing for esports...

The only other reason LB sucks on DH is that it's burst damage vs constant damage, and the fact of AoE vs single target.

Really?

@Dace.8173 said:

@Tormod.5018 said:You guys realize that most HoT specs were made for PvP right? I mean League Season 1-3 was when they were pushing for esports...

Really?

Really? Can you even communicate? I stated facts. The devs admitted that HoT specs were meant for PvP...

All guardian power builds use GS in almost every build, including PvP. It is not another profession that uses GS,it is the main profession that uses GS.

As for LB, it sucks, especially in PvE. Anet does not seem interested in fixing it.

@Skotlex.7580 said:Uhm, ranged isn't supposed to deal more DPS than melee. Complains about dragonhunter longbow damage should probably be in comparing it to another power ranged set, sceptre + focus.

I dont understand this dogma that ranged weapons cannot be stronger than melee weapons. Especially in a game that has skill splitting for different game modes and on top of that is very oriented towards forcing people into short range stacking due to boon sharing and aoe nature of heals

What would be the downside if Longbow had same dps output as greatsword in PvE only? It would actually give us some much needed refreshment in my opinion

@otto.5684 said:

All guardian power builds use GS in almost every build, including PvP. It is not another profession that uses GS,it is the main profession that uses GS.

As for LB, it sucks, especially in PvE. Anet does not seem interested in fixing it.

The other professions I had originally leveled that mainly used GS were mesmer, soulbeast, and reaper. This game has a serious bias towards greatsword. I mean they made the thing a ranged weapon for mesmers. That's ridiculous.

Lb 5 is a cool skill but is rendered useless most times due to the defensive skills being powercrept, most times people just walk thru it knowing the damage is trivial and so is the immobilize due to being able to shake it off or avoid it easily. The CD is too high as well. The immobilize portion of the skill has such a long tell it should be unblockable/unstripable to be punishing to players that don’t capitalize on the long tell,that or increase dps and reduce cast time. True shot should have had knockback added to it base skill,suits it far more considering cast time is supposed to be a charge to make the shot more powerful,a aoe heal on blind on lb 1 would be a nice little addition.also due to set up of tether with spear of Justice the damage increase on big game hunter should be baseline to due to set up and restrictions wouldn’t have been op.funny how some classes get some toys and some don’t

@kasoki.5180 said:

@Skotlex.7580 said:Uhm, ranged isn't supposed to deal more DPS than melee. Complains about dragonhunter longbow damage should probably be in comparing it to another power ranged set, sceptre + focus.

I dont understand this dogma that ranged weapons cannot be stronger than melee weapons. Especially in a game that has skill splitting for different game modes and on top of that is very oriented towards forcing people into short range stacking due to boon sharing and aoe nature of heals

What would be the downside if Longbow had same dps output as greatsword in PvE only? It would actually give us some much needed refreshment in my opinion

You could make a whole topic around it, there's been quite a few things to say regarding design of ranged versus melee. Though, one point that I think needs mentioning is that ANet tries to keep skill splits to a minimum, usually every skill change that gets split, becomes equalized at a later patch.

Actually LB5 skills problem isn't the amount of low damage or using Stability etc to ignore the Barrier portion of Hunter's Ward the problem is that they changed it so that your target's aren't affected by the Barrier unless they are still in the target circle when the channeling portion of the skill ends which is 2 3/4 seconds long which is also when the real damage is inflicted , that is an awfully long amount of time to allow someone to escape a target circle. Before this change I would usually follow skill 5 with skill 4 to those people I had trapped in the Barrier but now I can barely catch anyone in it. Of course this goes hand in hand with the damage nerf to skill 2 True Shot but still forcing a stop in movement which makes no sense if they wanted to keep more interesting all had to do was lower the damage the less time you charge it so a quick shot with movement does little damage but a long charge does more damage but leaves you more at risk. They already have skills in the game that function this way I never understood why they didn't use this option.For skill 5 keep the channel time the same but cut the time for avoiding Hunter's Mark(this is what determines if you have a Baarier) to 11/2 seconds and give a visual indicator that they have the Hunter's Mark on they so an alert player can still counter it. Either of these options would not require much in the way of change if any to damage but would give the weapon some additional counter play optionsP.S.: I also agree that skill 3 Deflecting Shot should have the knock back as baseline

@kasoki.5180 said:

Higher melee damage is the reward for putting yourself in more direct danger than you would be at range. The underlying logic here applies even in PvE as melee combat is still putting you in more direct harm's way.