Very high ping

• 2 weeks later...

I live in central and for a few months now my ping has doubled what it used to be. somebody said at one time anet moved their servers or switched or something. my ping was always around 50-60 for the first 6 yrs but since anet did something a few months ago its been doubled. but i bet it has something to do with this game dying and anet having to cut off servers in certain zones making the connection travel farther.

The game isn't 'dying', nor did ArenaNet cut off servers.
ArenaNet moved (NA) from NCSoft servers (in Texas) to Amazon servers (in Virginia) to provide more stable servers for their kind of game distribution. Those on the West Coast and Central US would see an increase; those on the East Coast a decrease in ping.

EU moved from Frankfort to Frankfort.

I've been getting lag like this for the last week or so, too. All of the pingplotter logs show no packet loss or ping spikes. All of the internet speed/ping tests to various servers across NA show no anomalies in prolonged tests. It's only in the game where I get 150-400 sometimes even 500ms ping spikes just out of the blue (which is very frustrating in PvP ><) Any kind of movement skill will randomly stutter or skip animation frames ect. Average ping hangs at 145-200ms for 5 seconds or more then everything is fine again. I'm beginning to wonder if that recent snow/ice storm that is hitting the east is having an effect on the server routes.

Ping and internet issues are the number one complaint in any online game if you don’t believe me go check any games support forum! Now if this was an internal game issue then this thread would be pages long and someone from Anet would be on telling us they are aware of the issue and are working on it. One thing that Anet is good for is getting on here and informing us of game issues in a time.y manner!

I'm having similar issues, Ping is all over the shot.. Also been up/down for last 2 hrs, R Ratio is all over the place in arcdps too.Lots of 007 codes, unusal - ISP all other things are fine my side, checked run all idiags.

Started 5pm server time, still ongoing right now. - Connecting from UK -> USA Servers, also know of one other person also having same issue diff town/location in UK.

For me, using my regular cable connection, the packet loss started last night.I just tested it again, and the problem remains.I tried a 4G connection (different ISP), which usually works well, but same problem.Skills starts to blink, with no response and after a minute or so I get disconnected.Playing from Brazil => EU servers.

Just wanna update that I'm still getting indications of packet loss to Amazon's servers but had a tech from ISP come out and he looked the lines over. Apparently the connection at the drop from the main line was so loose that it took 1/4th turn and it disconnected. More than likely caused by the weather. Still getting packet loss to Amazon's servers but strangely not getting any ping spikes that interfere with gameplay. If you're still getting lag on NA might be worth calling your ISP to come check things out.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem for me, EU on Whiteside Ridge.Very unstable pings. It almost impossible for me to play GW2 during weekends. The rubber-banding is just too much.

Support were very nice, but didn't help solve the problem. I highly doubt the problem is on my side.GW2 is the only game on my machine that has this problem :disappointed:

• 6 months later...

I'm having the same issue since the last GW2 update. I normally get 45-65 ping (U.S. Est / FL). I have fiber optic internet with 100 up/down and there aren't any problems on my end. My ping now goes from 70-1500 randomly. I'll average 300-400 for a few minuets then it'll do something else. This is a very big problem for me @anet as sPvP is my most played game mode. This ping issue makes the game unplayable. I don't want to quit the game because I run a 500 member PvX guild that has been around for 5+ years, but if this keeps up then I'll just go to Xbox or something. Also, I've been talking to guild members and many of them have the same problem. Many of them only do PvE and they're still very frustrated. This needs to find a fix quickly.

~Leaf