Do you still play your elementalist ? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Do you still play your elementalist ?

Nath Forge Tempete.1645Nath Forge Tempete.1645 Member ✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2019 in Elementalist

Hey I wanted to know if people still play their elementalist character out there . If you don't anymore , would you mind specify why ?

Thanks guys :D

For my part, I don't (only to do the story when a new episode comes out) cause it doesn't feel funny anymore. The struggle is too important to make it work. or maybe i'm just becoming more of a casual player ... Who knows.

Do you still play your elementalist ? 156 votes

Yes, in PvE (open world, living story) mostly !
22%
Vissarion.6509BunjiKugashira.9754kharmin.7683Tachenon.5270Weggie.3215calb.3128Tsume.4762Axl.8924EriskRedLemur.7153Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Altion.9576Blood Red Arachnid.2493Eros.6801InsaneQR.7412BlackBeard.2873Ganathar.4956Jemmi.6058Ansayamon.8507Alita.7285Theros.1390 35 votes
Yes, in WvW (zerg or Roaming) mostly !
9%
GloriousAlkaid.5104Roy G Biv.1625Nimrod.9240Sansania.8569Dahir.4158DanAlcedo.3281Timelord.8190Luindu.2418fuzzyp.6295Nimon.7840Optimator.3589salogel.1869Scud.5067RingoAlpha.9016gfedz.6140 15 votes
Yes, in sPvP mostly !
7%
Alatar.7364Eme.2018Fortus.6175Milan.9035MyPuppy.8970shinta.8906Stallic.2397Capodicapis.6819Megametzler.5729Rico.6873Federally.7492 11 votes
Yes, in Raids, fractals and other group contents
1%
Mini Crinny.6190ROMANG.1903Burnhard Riemann.8650 3 votes
Yes, in all game modes (or 2 at least)
29%
Cerioth.7062Nitrosiili.5628crosknight.3041TakeCare.3182CETheLucid.3964cgMatt.5162Susy.7529cymn.7384Warobaz.9543Arheundel.6451ProtoGunner.4953Teleoceras.1298Chay.7852MudkipLover.3792TheQuickFox.3826VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618Gpe.3684Lilyanna.9361DiogoSilva.7089Zhaid Zhem.6508 46 votes
No, I quit since ...
25%
Jski.6180steve.2945Electes.8642K THEN.5162XxzaverxX.6790Amaranthe.3578Mr Godlike.6098Arkantos.7460Aramus.8143Qori.9671Arkaile.5604wasss.1208Eypheha.5831aiinseinn.5914Phantaram.1265obcan.1470Knuckle Joe.7408SLOTH.5231C Cspace Cowboy.5903Eddbopkins.2630 40 votes
Other (who knows ?)
3%
Conqueror.3682Yannir.4132Doo Lally.8594Hoover.6394Blueberry.8095Kobrakatana.8264 6 votes
<1

Comments

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, I quit since ...

Game got quite stale for me (6k+ hours, 5k on ele). I play mostly LS content nowadays (for a day or two), occasional wvw (mostly on resets/weekends) and some raid/t4 frac once in a while.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

Fractals and open world PvE mostly.

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019
    No, I quit since ...

Ele is all but dead in most game types. Its a "fun" only class.

I must say i do try ele over every time there is an update to the class in wvw often it fall short.

• Zhaid Zhem.6508Zhaid Zhem.6508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019

With new instabilities elem/weaver is useless now even in fractals : HP pool, no good cleave, no condi cleanse, no boonstrip, no boon, no boonshare, no good invu/block ... where now mobs would deal more dmg, more condition, get more boons ...
    I try hard in pvp and WvW for fun, but don't get me wrong others classes can do better without effort.

• No, I quit since ...

Was pvp only player but there are limits of tryharding when every balance update is confusing mess dragging class down:
    -with less build variety
    -more and more dead traits
    -10x buffs to one skill that doesn't make difference.
    -more and more deadly meta that completely ignore's ele anything.

At least tryhard ele's have some fun in raids but it's not for me. I ll just wait for next expansion beta and hope that new elite spec will be broken OP. After year's of pvp weaver and tempest we deserve something. If not Anet won't see my money and that would my final good bye. There are games out there where mage is F**** mage even in pvp environment. Weaver is just flashy dandy armed with spoon.

• Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019
    No, I quit since ...

Im a pvper only. With the lack of support(balance/skill changes) and lack of any new contents i have grown terrible bored of the pvp scene and moved onto other more exciting and worked on video game titles. Like overwatch. Unlike the gw2 devs they dont hide any of there character statistics and have a much better understanding of what competitive competition is about.

• Yes, in all game modes (or 2 at least)

living world, open world, wvw.

Raids are not my thing, fractals first became boring than boring and tedious.

• shinta.8906shinta.8906 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, in sPvP mostly !

still tryharding in pvp in hopes to wake up on a better day for once

• Yes, in PvE (open world, living story) mostly !

Do you People got that I was talking about elementalist here in each game mode? haha not about the game mode itself :p

Yes, in PvE and you can find me on LA flute playing from time to time xDD

I play in PvE, Fractals, and Living Story...It's a struggle sometimes, thinking of switching, but I just can't let go (I hate the sight of an empty map, but map completion holds me back on alts. )

• Cicada.6298Cicada.6298 Member ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019

I just came back to the game about 2 weeks ago after 2 years off -- always played Ele; having fun with it again in PvE/Story content and just exploring the new map, but as a mostly PvP player, Ele seems horrid these days -- it seems the only viable way to play them in PvP is as a support bot; I tend to just hang back and just stack boons and heal since damage is abysmal in most of the remotely viable builds.

good thing that new story/pve content is keeping me busy (for now), or I'd quit the game again. Coming back and seeing your class being all but ompltely useless feelsbadman.

• Scud.5067Scud.5067 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, in WvW (zerg or Roaming) mostly !

Yup, with the glorious Zerg. My Herald is for smaller groups or to act as a heat-seeking missile in the zerg. But I truly love how a well place Ele can influence the enemy zerg.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am Elementalist by nature. What else could I be?
    I sometimes dread the PvP arena's, but I know that Dwayna will be there to take me in her loving arms when it is my time.

ArenaNet Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    I am Elementalist by nature. What else could I be?
    I sometimes dread the PvP arena's, but I know that Dwayna will be there to take me in her loving arms when it is my time.

I recently restart playing Core D/D ele in Unranked since Season endend LOL it brings nostalgia tho ... when Ele was hyper relevant in sPvp.... the good old Days haha

• Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭

Yup I sure play my elementalists!

• Dace.8173Dace.8173 Member ✭✭✭✭

I love my Elementalist to death. Third favorite thing to play (tied with Dragonhunter).

tried multiple times to switch to other classes but can only ever play them for like 2-3 weeks max because they are mostly all braindead simple (the meta builds at least) or just give me a bad feeling of abusing overpowered abilities that lets me do everything from just pressing a few buttons.

The only other class that i find somewhat complex enough to be fun to play is rev (both in pve & pvp) but even that is missing the complexities unique to eles such as needing to keep track of cds across 4 attunements and dealing with slow, channeled/rooting attacks that are hard to land. Revs having higher base hp & armor also makes it a bit more forgiving to play.

Every time i tried to switch class and then come back to play as ele i always find myself super rusty and cant perform like what i used to be able to, so that is also kind of preventing me from dropping ele entirely.

Have to say though that i'm pretty much bored of gw2 and sick of the terrible changes that balance team keep giving to eles and i'm just trying to find another game but still playing gw2 without really caring much about it as i did before

@LazySummer.2568 said:
    tried multiple times to switch to other classes but can only ever play them for like 2-3 weeks max because they are mostly all braindead simple (the meta builds at least) or just give me a bad feeling of abusing overpowered abilities that lets me do everything from just pressing a few buttons.

The only other class that i find somewhat complex enough to be fun to play is rev (both in pve & pvp) but even that is missing the complexities unique to eles such as needing to keep track of cds across 4 attunements and dealing with slow, channeled/rooting attacks that are hard to land. Revs having higher base hp & armor also makes it a bit more forgiving to play.

Every time i tried to switch class and then come back to play as ele i always find myself super rusty and cant perform like what i used to be able to, so that is also kind of preventing me from dropping ele entirely.

Have to say though that i'm pretty much bored of gw2 and sick of the terrible changes that balance team keep giving to eles and i'm just trying to find another game but still playing gw2 without really caring much about it as i did before

yeah i've played a lot on revenant too after quitting my ele :) it's different but you still have to manage more skills than any other classes ... except engineer maybe but it kinda became faceroll with holo tho.

I love GW2 still ... and i mostly sPVP with revenant and core guard tho ! sometimes ele if i'm really bored but not more than 2 or 3 games.

• MyPuppy.8970MyPuppy.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in sPvP mostly !

I switched recently (this morning in fact) to Mirage, after pvping since release with my ele. I must say it is kinda refreshing to push buttons that actually do something. I'm still terrible at it, but I'm having fun. I have trouble switching weapons, while switching attunement was like breathing. Anyway, I feel it was time to play something else to improve my ele gameplay.

• Rhyse.8179Rhyse.8179 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019
    No, I quit since ...

Used to love Ele's flexibility and potential for combos. Weaver broke that, forcing you to constantly switch attunement at all times regardless of what the situation needs, and tempest broke it by encouraging single attune gameplay. Ele just doesn't play like it used to.

eta: fixed typo

@Rhyse.8179 said:
    weaver broke it by encouraging single attune gameplay.

tempest you mean? but I got it ! Versatility isn't really a thing anymore on ele for years now ... since D/D ele got out of meta in fact ! after that we got fresh air gameplay kinda viable then tempest arrives with the bunker meta ...

after tempest and all bunker nerfs , ele got kicked of sPvP and weaver took some time before being able to be viable in sPvp and now is kinda gimmicky . Fine but not good.

• Rhyse.8179Rhyse.8179 Member ✭✭✭
    No, I quit since ...

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:

@Rhyse.8179 said:
    weaver broke it by encouraging single attune gameplay.

tempest you mean? but I got it ! Versatility isn't really a thing anymore on ele for years now ... since D/D ele got out of meta in fact ! after that we got fresh air gameplay kinda viable then tempest arrives with the bunker meta ...

after tempest and all bunker nerfs , ele got kicked of sPvP and weaver took some time before being able to be viable in sPvp and now is kinda gimmicky . Fine but not good.

By Jove you're right! Fixed.

And yeah, I havn't played it as a main for years, since HOT basically. I hop on once in a while and play a core staff build for old times sake, but since the lava font/meteor nerf even that is a pale shadow of itself.

• Auburner.6945Auburner.6945 Member ✭✭✭

@MyPuppy.8970 said:
    I switched recently (this morning in fact) to Mirage, after pvping since release with my ele. I must say it is kinda refreshing to push buttons that actually do something. I'm still terrible at it, but I'm having fun. I have trouble switching weapons, while switching attunement was like breathing. Anyway, I feel it was time to play something else to improve my ele gameplay.

I am currently going for the same, been running Holo, Mirage and DPS chrono a little lately, might fully go for these 2 classes, it feels great to cc/taunt/dodge/apply effects/maintain boons and have universal trait lines for once, and a weapon swap. Ele is mostly a WvW backline to me now only because rev doesn't quite do it to me.

• Stallic.2397Stallic.2397 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, in sPvP mostly !

@MyPuppy.8970 said:

I have the same problem. Switching attunements is easy cause you can start a long cast, switch, then quickly start with something else. If you switch weapons, it cancels all casts, which sucks.

It's the little things like that, which makes ele way more fun.

No, I quit since ...

@Stallic.2397 said:

@MyPuppy.8970 said:

I have the same problem. Switching attunements is easy cause you can start a long cast, switch, then quickly start with something else. If you switch weapons, it cancels all casts, which sucks.

It's the little things like that, which makes ele way more fun.

I think the ideal is to let ele have both a wepon swap and atuments. Kind of like how rev works (though i do not know if lengarly swaps stop cast or if there any thing that take so much time to cast that you can tell in the first places). The the thing most classes cast times are much shorter then eles.

Only play the new living world story, after being a player who used to play a lot. The neglect of the class completely killed most interest in the game and I have mostly moved on.

@BlackBeard.2873 said:
    Only play the new living world story, after being a player who used to play a lot. The neglect of the class completely killed most interest in the game and I have mostly moved on.

sad to hear that !

• Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭

I feel no satisfaction when playing the other classes.

The skill expression between classes that are overloaded with passive traits compared to a class that actively has to pray a certain class is not on an enemy team shows what Anet is willing to commit to. People do not like to THINK and feel like 'losers' so they just pile on more and more kitten.

Though, I will say Engineer is a close second and perhaps Revenant. The rest of the classes could burn in hell for all I care.

@BlackBeard.2873 said:

same here. My cousin still plays occasionally, and I have a few other friends that still play GW2, so I decided to come back after quitting in 2016. As someone who mostly enjoys PvP (at least 75-80% of what I did in GW2), the state of the class in PvP makes me really want to just quit again. Open world and story are fun, and running fresh air scepter/warhorn has been fun enough. I think Ele's in PvE content are fine for the most part. Staff weaver in wvw is fun until someone looks at you and you die.

Eles need some serious attention, but from what I've read here, reddit and from YT videos, it seems Anet doesn't give a rat's kitten about the class in the pvp/wvw game modes.

I've found Sword Weaver to be quite fun in PVE. Also my ele is one of my favorite designed characters, so I find excuses to play her.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    I've found Sword Weaver to be quite fun in PVE. Also my ele is one of my favorite designed characters, so I find excuses to play her.

I've liked playing my sword weaver in openworld too ... but I struggled so much compared to for example a reaper or even a quickbrand on diviner-valkyrie. (which has the same HP pool than ele)

• Qori.9671Qori.9671 Member ✭✭
    No, I quit since ...

Ele became not fun a long time ago , I uninstalled the game , every so often I check the balance updates patch notes , eye roll so hard I see my brain , and know that I made the right choice , but there is still hope that a dev pulls his head out of his kitten and looks at Ele =)

@Qori.9671 said:
    Ele became not fun a long time ago , I uninstalled the game , every so often I check the balance updates patch notes , eye roll so hard I see my brain , and know that I made the right choice , but there is still hope that a dev pulls his head out of his kitten and looks at Ele =)

But you're still on the forum? wow

No, I quit since ...

@Qori.9671 said:

I said , I come to check and see if it has gotten better , once a month anymore if that even.

@Qori.9671 said:

@Qori.9671 said:

I said , I come to check and see if it has gotten better , once a month anymore if that even.

I know ! but i can't rely to that behavior :p if I would have uninstalled ... i 'd rather never come back to it ahahaha was not agressive there ! just impressed by your hopes and your devotion.

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019
    Yes, in PvE (open world, living story) mostly !

I dont play often with my alt chars but ele is still very entertaining to play so i pivk it up sometimes. I mainly play evade weaver for champ soloing.

• Fortus.6175Fortus.6175 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019
    Yes, in sPvP mostly !

I have been playing PvP ele since release, as well as in almost any other mode, ele probably has about 60-70% of my game time in general, with guardian making almost all of the rest. This season I want to see how far I can get playing tempest only, Staff or D/D.

It is rough, but in general, no other class feels as dynamic and satisfying as ele. Attunement dancing, overloads, AoE support and damage. If I make it into top 100 again this season I might post my build and leave it to judgement for people to analyze it and tell me how I wouldn't even make it past gold 2 with it like I have been told before.

I know this sounds bad, but at this point I actually like that the class is this weak; fewer people playing it, and when I win, I know i probably deserved it. I remember in one of my psych classes once that there is a cognitive bias where we prefer to feel handicapped at times since it justifies our loses since we were "not at the best possible state" while making us feel good about any good outcomes since we did it "even though i wasnt in my best state. "

No, I quit since ...

@Qori.9671 said:

@Qori.9671 said:

I know ! but i can't rely to that behavior :p if I would have uninstalled ... i 'd rather never come back to it ahahaha was not agressive there ! just impressed by your hopes and your devotion.

I been playing a wizard in Project 1999 EverQuest lol. you have LOTS of downtime to check forums while waiting for mana to replenish from 0 to full in 10 min haha

No, I quit since ...

@Qori.9671 said:

@Qori.9671 said:

@Qori.9671 said:

I been playing a wizard in Project 1999 EverQuest lol. you have LOTS of downtime to check forums while waiting for mana to replenish from 0 to full in 10 min haha

Sadly mages in this game do not feel like mages its the war classes or the more physical classes that look more mages like but with out the animations.

• Blueberry.8095Blueberry.8095 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019
    Other (who knows ?)

I used to love my ele in fractal, but right now she has been sent to forever-flax farm duty and I don't even regret it.

• Doo Lally.8594Doo Lally.8594 Member ✭✭✭
    Other (who knows ?)

Can't participate in the poll (maybe closed?) but:

Sadly my ele is solely used as a backline staff Weaver in WvW. Roaming is a joke when I have to play multiple times as good to break even in a fight (and I am not good enough to make that leap). Even open-world content with any difficulty requires a commitment level beyond what I'd call 'relaxing' play when I can simply pop on any other number of classes and cut through the content cleanly.

A shame as I loved my ele and all the 'finger-dancing' it required.

• Ryou.2398Ryou.2398 Member ✭✭
    edited February 25, 2019

Honestly he is set aside for the moment, atleast until there is improvements, ele is just not as much as fun at the moment, but I think that will change soon enough. I am however enjoying my guardian in the meantime.

If you want to find the secrets of the universe think in terms of energy frequency and vibration Nikola Tesla.

@Ryou.2398 said:
    Honestly he is set aside for the moment, atleast until there is improvements, ele is just not as much as fun at the moment, but I think that will change soon enough. I am however enjoying my guardian in the meantime.

same totally :D

Ele was my main and is my oldest character for the first 2-3 years or so.

But then guardians keep getting new stuff and changes so i switched to that one. Later down the road when revenants got some love and changes i switched to that one as well (im a sucker for versatile professions i guess).

However recently i started feeling very satisfied casting meteor showers and large aoes that obliterate everything in front of me and im considering starting a new ele with a different race than my old human ele main.

Idk why. Maybe its just how it goes, after a long time of playing with magical up front melee swords and shields i forgot how fun it can be casting powerful destructive spells from far away.

This also feels very satisfying when in group events,specially if there are lots of targets or better yet, a giant target like one of those saurians in HoT

• Yes, in Raids, fractals and other group contents

Fresh air sword/dagger is really fun in fractals and raids if you are already familiar with the mechanics of the fights. For short phase fights I like to be able to give away conjured weapons to boost party dps.

I find it completely impossible to play ele in competitive modes at present. Almost anyone with a meta build will shred me instantly and be impossible for me to kill. I've tried for hours and hours just getting stomped constantly and decided it was just not going to get better. I can trait water and arcane and stay alive forever and dodge everything, xor I can set it up so that I do any damage whatsoever and melt like a stick of butter in the microwave. God forbid someone applies a condition on me or stealths or does more than 9k damage in a short period of time. Not to mention the enemy player has to be inside my hitbox to even get hit by my sword. You could probably make it work if you are like god tier ele, but for us mere humans, I think we need to stick to more predictable content like raids and fractals with dedicated healers.

• Stallic.2397Stallic.2397 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, in sPvP mostly !

@Burnhard Riemann.8650 said:
    Fresh air sword/dagger is really fun in fractals and raids if you are already familiar with the mechanics of the fights. For short phase fights I like to be able to give away conjured weapons to boost party dps.

I find it completely impossible to play ele in competitive modes at present. Almost anyone with a meta build will shred me instantly and be impossible for me to kill. I've tried for hours and hours just getting stomped constantly and decided it was just not going to get better. I can trait water and arcane and stay alive forever and dodge everything, xor I can set it up so that I do any damage whatsoever and melt like a stick of butter in the microwave. God forbid someone applies a condition on me or stealths or does more than 9k damage in a short period of time. Not to mention the enemy player has to be inside my hitbox to even get hit by my sword. You could probably make it work if you are like god tier ele, but for us mere humans, I think we need to stick to more predictable content like raids and fractals with dedicated healers.

Haha! Welcome to my life. I main pvp and ele is my favorite class. It gets easier with time, but you truly have to be a masochist to play ele ranked

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.