Line of sight abuse - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Line of sight abuse

2>

Comments

• @Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    Can you fix this nonsense please. Mage/ Ranger hump the wall and drop Meteor shower/barrage half way up the ramp to lord in Durios. I've seen barrage kill the quartermaster in mendon's with all walls/gates full. But today was my new favorite. Shove an arrow cart bottom Durios wall and shoot arrows thru the wall inside. So much siege gets hit inside that is far af back. Anything about a half circle of your skill on the wall is fine but man is it just so frustrating to deal with such stupidity. Then I can't target the ground with 1200 rng placement skills unless I creep out to the edge on my effin tippy toes exposing myself to binds/pulls and instant death. Maybe I could if I humped the inner wall and used w/e exploit zoom who fn knows what. I get my pips every week but man there are so many simple fixes it needs.

The reason for the Ranger to be able to do this is because, correctly - according to the laws of physics, gravity and the real world, you can shoot at an angle in to the air causing your arrows to go over the walls and land inside the structure you are next to. Amazing how ANeT got this right. A little reality on how that works. And they aren't firing "through" the stone walls, they're shooting OVER(like I pointed out) the stone walls. If there was an actual roof over the tower to prevent objects from falling into it I might agree.

Yes there's always that guy. You can say this but amazingly don't understand physics, gravity and the real world and think there are fireballs from staffs and death and respawn in a game but apply real world nonsense to one aspect like arrows. There are range parameters in place but ignoring that physics major. How high would you have to shoot these arrows from one side of a wall to land straight down on the other side. Of course ignoring that you see the arrows arc going thru the stone wall.

I understand physics quite well. I'm speaking from the barrage standpoint here. If you fire and arrow up into the air over a wall it won't magically deflect and land on top of the wall if you were aiming at let's say a 45 degree angle. It will go over the wall and land inside somewhere. That's physics. And if you change your angle you can land the arrow either further in or closer to the wall. It all depends on what angle you shoot at. Geometry, physics, gravity and all that are at work. Angle of shot, combined with thrust, will equal height arrow reaches and distance traveled.

Yes in rl with no limitations. If those were applied in game someone could shoot an arrow from Spelden into anz or from the 2nd floor of smc into towers and keeps. But there are range limitations and ground click reqs which need to be circumvented to target inside towers/keeps. Tech I should be able to shoot fireballs over the wall then or 50 other skills in the game but ya can't. So no Anet didn't get barrage right like you said. You would have to aim much higher then max range allows to get the angle to drop them right behind the wall. And how you carrying 1000 kitten arrows anyway. You can't pick and chose which rl things to follow and ignore the fantasy. Like I said before all skills should be limited to that half circle on top of walls. Meteor shower being the deepest any skill could get I'd assume.

• Heibi.4251Heibi.4251 Member ✭✭✭

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    Can you fix this nonsense please. Mage/ Ranger hump the wall and drop Meteor shower/barrage half way up the ramp to lord in Durios. I've seen barrage kill the quartermaster in mendon's with all walls/gates full. But today was my new favorite. Shove an arrow cart bottom Durios wall and shoot arrows thru the wall inside. So much siege gets hit inside that is far af back. Anything about a half circle of your skill on the wall is fine but man is it just so frustrating to deal with such stupidity. Then I can't target the ground with 1200 rng placement skills unless I creep out to the edge on my effin tippy toes exposing myself to binds/pulls and instant death. Maybe I could if I humped the inner wall and used w/e exploit zoom who fn knows what. I get my pips every week but man there are so many simple fixes it needs.

The reason for the Ranger to be able to do this is because, correctly - according to the laws of physics, gravity and the real world, you can shoot at an angle in to the air causing your arrows to go over the walls and land inside the structure you are next to. Amazing how ANeT got this right. A little reality on how that works. And they aren't firing "through" the stone walls, they're shooting OVER(like I pointed out) the stone walls. If there was an actual roof over the tower to prevent objects from falling into it I might agree.

Yes there's always that guy. You can say this but amazingly don't understand physics, gravity and the real world and think there are fireballs from staffs and death and respawn in a game but apply real world nonsense to one aspect like arrows. There are range parameters in place but ignoring that physics major. How high would you have to shoot these arrows from one side of a wall to land straight down on the other side. Of course ignoring that you see the arrows arc going thru the stone wall.

I understand physics quite well. I'm speaking from the barrage standpoint here. If you fire and arrow up into the air over a wall it won't magically deflect and land on top of the wall if you were aiming at let's say a 45 degree angle. It will go over the wall and land inside somewhere. That's physics. And if you change your angle you can land the arrow either further in or closer to the wall. It all depends on what angle you shoot at. Geometry, physics, gravity and all that are at work. Angle of shot, combined with thrust, will equal height arrow reaches and distance traveled.

Yes in rl with no limitations. If those were applied in game someone could shoot an arrow from Spelden into anz or from the 2nd floor of smc into towers and keeps. But there are range limitations and ground click reqs which need to be circumvented to target inside towers/keeps. Tech I should be able to shoot fireballs over the wall then or 50 other skills in the game but ya can't. So no Anet didn't get barrage right like you said. You would have to aim much higher then max range allows to get the angle to drop them right behind the wall. And how you carrying 1000 kitten arrows anyway. You can't pick and chose which rl things to follow and ignore the fantasy. Like I said before all skills should be limited to that half circle on top of walls. Meteor shower being the deepest any skill could get I'd assume.

It's a fantasy game, of course you can pick real life things as you wish in the game. ANeT came as close as you can without making long bow be able to fire 10,000 range. The barrage ability to do what it is doing now is very close in most ways as to being able to do so in real life.(Except for firing 50+ arrows from a single bow). They actually made the barrage arc and target area landing closely resemble what might happen if you fired an arrow over a wall into an open structure.

Henge of Denravi Commander
    CA/CH/HOD/AIR

• Celsith.2753Celsith.2753 Member ✭✭✭

@SweetPotato.7456 said:
    Since this is still on Cheating Ranger, you guys so afraid because rangers are super cheating in WvW, the other days. there was one Ranger who uses longbow to barrage ppl from under water - Green Keep . This was observed by at least 5 players. Please fix this Anet, longbow should not be able to shot at people from under water. I reported the guy under "botting" but very doubtful Anet would do anything.

Please look into Ranger and their many ways of cheating in WvW, thank you.

There's spot outside green keep in/around the water where you can stand on a tiny ledge - look round the water gate. The LOS you demonstrate at SET is perfectly doable, though if he isn't showing on the mini map you may have a had a cheater under the map.

885k+ WvW kills
    Diamond No Life
    [HUNT] Predatory Instinct

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

Since you're hanging on your "Reality" argument so much, would you care to explain why Arrow Carts require line of sight when Barrage does not?

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

edited February 9, 2019

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

Since you're hanging on your "Reality" argument so much, would you care to explain why Arrow Carts require line of sight when Barrage does not?

Actually they can hit inside places too. Not as good as barrage though. And we're only talking about barrage here anyway. And ANeT saw fit to try and do something good in a design. People may not like it(those who hide behind walls and use siege), but it is well designed and thought out.

CA/CH/HOD/AIR

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

Don't worry a fix is on the way in the next expansion rangers will be getting specially trained attack squirrels from yak's bend that not only use siege but also dive into the ground through their tunnels and pop up out of the ground with siege disablers. As well as a new trap and trick that sends an attack beaver to build a dam around an objective if an enemy with supply comes near it creates a giant permanent water field that lasts for an hour. Then crows that cost 1 supply each that peck out your enemies eyes blinding them causing them to have no line of sight.

So don't worry the problem is being handled no worries here.

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

Oh darn, rangers can contribute to a large scale scenario in some small way. Better call the cops.
    Seriously though, I'm all for any de-sieging mechanics. Its not like Barrage one-rounds siege.
    I'm pretty sure staff 2 on elementalist didn't care about line of effect (or whatever you want to call it) at one point and the masses didn't seem overly concerned about that.

Also, as the above posted suggested, if its just a single ranger then murder them.

~ Kovu

edit- People, arrow carts don't have a 24 second cooldown.

Ranger main before it was cool.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

@Heibi.4251 said:
    And we're only talking about barrage here anyway.

Nice dodge of the question my dude... Don't bring the reality argument if we're not going toapply reality to everything.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:
    And we're only talking about barrage here anyway.

Nice dodge of the question my dude... Don't bring the reality argument if we're not going toapply reality to everything.

This is a game, "dude".

CA/CH/HOD/AIR

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

The LOS wasn't there initially, it was added later on because people were able to hit others rather safely in certain places.

That is to say, it is very possible for certain skills to escape the LOS treatment after some balance patches, afterall, anet isn't consistent when come to doing things.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Can you people stop making threads complaining about everything under the sun and going full hyperbole about it?

Is this a real problem in the mode? No? Then put a sock in it because this mode does have real problems.

Bad players getting downed on some wall they have been hugging too hard complaining about the tickles of LB5. Pathetic is what it is.

• KeyOrion.9506KeyOrion.9506 Member ✭✭✭

What the hell are you talking about Ranger line of site kitten? MY RANGER has to stand and fire at a target....but I can only HIT that target if it is in my ARC OF FIRE....now in year one...used to be if an enemy was behind you, and you were facing the wrong way, if you hit a skill...the bow fired BACKWARDS...Anet nerfed that. I have to PHYSICALLY align my character now, to face your sorry BUTT, and then hope that the enemy stays within my ARC so I can HIT my skill. Because if he doesn't stay in my arc, and I hit my kitten skill, it's an automatic COOLDOWN and then I don't have a skill for attack, then I gotta wait. I don't see how you even think that rangers werent' NERFED TO HELL, with the kitten ARC system that Anet inserted so that particular abuse would make things more "even".

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.