Your Favorite Secret Areas — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Your Favorite Secret Areas

What are your favorite secret areas in the game. Places You just loved to visit, time and time again and marvel at how great it looked and how so little people would see it because it was hidden, out of the way, or locked behind a puzzle?

A few places of mine is:
1. Disco Room in Tangled Depths
2. Bamboo Garden under The Grove
3. Unfinished JP in Caledon Forest (Never to be seen or accessed again.)
4. Disappearing Djinn City in the sky in Desert Highlands
5. The starry vault in the Desert Highlands. (Last room in the Dwarven Puzzle Dungeon)

What're yours?

Comments

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Alimar.8760 said:
    What are your favorite secret areas in the game. Places You just loved to visit, time and time again and marvel at how great it looked and how so little people would see it because it was hidden, out of the way, or locked behind a puzzle?

A few places of mine is:
    2. Bamboo Garden under The Grove
    3. Unfinished JP in Caledon Forest (Never to be seen or accessed again.)
    4. Disappearing Djinn City in the sky in Desert Highlands
    5. The starry vault in the Desert Highlands. (Last room in the Dwarven Puzzle Dungeon)

What're yours?

I forgot about the starry vault in the dwarven puzzle dungeon.

• Hello!!

The Cerebro Room, for sure!
    Memories...
    Our guild used to celebrate officer meetings in that place.
    So, in my mind, it mix an awesome place with really amazing people.

Have fun and good luck.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

Cerebro, Caledon forest.
    At the north of the asuran lab jumping puzzle.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• Kiza.5630Kiza.5630 Member ✭✭✭

Was the one in Caledon changed recently? Because I've been there not long ago.

There is a little camp with a cat high up in that dark corridor in Tangled Mess I love.
    On top of the mountain (outside regular map) in Thunderhead Peaks.
    Inside Gandara and the confetti bunker in/under Domain of Kourna (these are hilarious).

Favorite area is the hidden garden JP. If it's not daily. It's just so peaceful and pretty. <3

• Caedmon.6798Caedmon.6798 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

Roleplaying as Hannibal lector in the "secret not so secret" small cave inside of dredge on EB ( wvw ) with the water part below it where you can knock people in which afterwards they cannot even port to spawn since theyre in perm combat mode and cannot get out.The dev that made this cave is my hero.

It puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again.

• Jura.2170Jura.2170 Member ✭✭✭

The gold and lost guild halls each had a lovely picnic area where you could see the ocean outside the halls

They were closed up many months ago and no one can visit them now

please make a Taimi voice mail pack
    my QoL wishes

• Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

I don't have a favorite (yet), but I did realize something relating to this just yesterday. I decided to try and finish up some of the Explorer achievements, and while doing so discovered, even after playing this game for almost 2 years straight now, some places I didn't even know existed. That's one of the things I love about this game......2 years and STILL seeing "new" places.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I always find it difficult to remember examples when a topic like this comes up. I know there's little spots all over Tyria which are out of the way and don't seem to serve any purpose, but are always worth visiting. But trying to remember them to list is difficult. But here's some I can think of.

The bamboo garden in the Grove is a personal favourite, both because it's pretty and because it's the first 'hidden' location I found. Although these days it's often being used by role players so I feel like I'm intruding if I'm there too long.

It's not exactly secret since the Yellow Catmander is in there but the quaggan cavern in the desert Borderlands is great. There's so much going on in there, I wish you could talk to more of the characters.

Oh and the djinn castle above Desert Highlands is amazing. I loved finding my way up there too. I knew it was there and that you could get up there, but I never heard how so it was a nice surprise when I went through a random portal and found myself on the path.

There's lots of little corners I like visiting just for the detail put into it, like the inn in the Ossan quarter in Divinity's Reach, inside the Windmill in Queensdale, the upper levels and back rooms of the various Spirit Lodges in Hoelbrak and the bar in the Grove. Oh and the back alleys of new Lion's Arch. I know people complain about it but as soon as you get away from the central bank/TP/crafting area and into the streets the whole feel of the place changes and it reminds me of all kinds of real sea side towns I've visited. None of these places are difficult to find of course, but there's also very rarely a reason to go there, so suspect a lot of people don't see them often, or at all.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• Calvsie.3675Calvsie.3675 Member ✭✭✭

The half way point in the under water tunnel where, if you surface, there is the insulting quaggan.
    Don't remember map (never do), but its lead to me trying to surface anytime I'm in long under water caverns to try and find him again.

“You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

• Vallune.8150Vallune.8150 Member ✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

@Calvsie.3675 said:
    The half way point in the under water tunnel where, if you surface, there is the insulting quaggan.
    Don't remember map (never do), but its lead to me trying to surface anytime I'm in long under water caverns to try and find him again.

Here you go. Go pay him a visit, he has some overdue insults for you.
    wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Judging_Quaggan

• Not exactly secret but I like hanging out in the aquarium in Divinity's Reach.

• Yargesh.4965Yargesh.4965 Member ✭✭✭

Not secret but the mid layers of gilded hollow guild hall. Really nicely crafted by the dev who worked on that hall.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have a lovely place where I like to go even if I don't complete it: Vexa's Lab in Fireheart rise, it's a jewel: A stunning lab regrouping several environments from aquarium to lava falls, always a pleasure to wander around here, a pure masterpiece of asuran architecture/ lab design.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• @Alimar.8760 said:

It's one of the most amazing-looking spots in the game and it's especially fun because it's locked behind a not-really-that-hard puzzle.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• hanging out on the big jellyfish thing in la can be fun. pretty easy to get to now with mounts.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Alimar.8760 said:

It's one of the most amazing-looking spots in the game and it's especially fun because it's locked behind a not-really-that-hard puzzle.

I loved that puzzle. It took me several evenings to get through it all but it was worth it just for the variety and figuring out what came next, and the starry room was definitely the best.

The hardest part about it was convincing myself I should jump down there. Which is very strange for me because that's exactly the kind of thing I normally do in games and in fact my first thought was "Wow, that's a big hole, I wonder what happens if I jump down there?" but I was trying to complete the puzzle/min dungeon/whatever that place is without getting too distracted or getting stuck and having to start over from the entrance so I spent a while confirming that really was the only option and therefore jumping down there was probably intended.

I don't know what I expected when I finally launched myself into the abyss but it definitely wasn't that.

You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    Your star never fades."

• Alimar.8760Alimar.8760 Member ✭✭✭

Oh! The secret Turkey room in Ascalon Catacombs.

• @Danikat.8537 said:
    I don't know what I expected when I finally launched myself into the abyss

You knew to be careful when launching yourself into the abyss because

Sometimes the abyss lunches itself on you.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Squirrel.6318Squirrel.6318 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

never forget :'(

would not mind a potentially lore breaking quest that revives gwen, back to the human she once was, to be one of the main heroes in gw2

There's nothing lore breaking about coming back from the dead. It's happened to different people in several different ways, including the player character in both GW1 (some of us more frequently than others) and GW2. She's been dead much longer than most people who get resurrected, and the fact that her body is probably either gone or not in any state she'd want to inhabit it might be a problem, but there might be ways around that.

Seriously though I think the best we can hope for is more appearances from her as a ghost.

Your star never fades."

• demon turkeys in ascalonian catacombs

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

@Alimar.8760 said:

Ohhhh, I had totally forgotten about that one! The one with the hidden dancing achievement, right? B)

1. Bamboo Garden under The Grove

It is not under the Grove but on the same level as the bottom level.

1. Unfinished JP in Caledon Forest (Never to be seen or accessed again.)

It can still be accessed.

1. The starry vault in the Desert Highlands. (Last room in the Dwarven Puzzle Dungeon)

That could easily be my favorite. It's so cool! :)

But the secret garden in the Grove is also a close candidate; I wish all of the Grove looked pretty like that instead of the cheesy bluish, glittering design they picked.

I also love the closed off Halloween area within the Ascalonian Catacombs, at the Black Citadel, leading down to the tomb.

@Alimar.8760 said:
    Oh! The secret Turkey room in Ascalon Catacombs.

And I must ask: Where is that?! :o

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

The place where Doctor Manhattan is:

• Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭

All of these are not necessarily secrets but rather small special spots for me in these maps, beware for a long list:

1. Black Citadel in general, it's underrated
    2. The mini dungeon in Diessa Plateau
    3. Fields of Ruin - the small Whispers base in Ebonhawke
    4. Blazeridge Steppes - The water area near the Behem Gauntlet JP with the underwater areas. Theres a trek spot indeed, I've done it before!
    5. Black Citadel - the door you cant cross in the northwest corner, I believe it is part of some old content, theres a room you cannot go to
    6. Ascalonian Catacombs - Turkey room
    7. Ascalonian Catacombs - secret room after last boss
    8. Divinitys Reach - under the map
    9. Divinity's Reach- the Shining Blade hideout in the story
    10. LA - All the story instances in there because old LA.
    11. Queensdale - inside the water pipes
    12. Bloodtide Coast - one of the "secret" pretty areas southeast part of the map
    13. Wayfarer Foothills - the narrow passage that leads through the mountains, theres some spiders around there, I just think its a neat little route, minus the spiders
    14. Lornar's Pass - the mini dungeon
    15. Lornar's Pass - all the other little caves
    16. Lornar's Pass - Griffonrook run
    17. Dredgehaunt Cliffs - The mini dungeon
    18. Timberline Falls - the coil area to the southeast corner, as well as the little secret area southwest by the swamp, and Only Zuhl
    19. Frostgorge Sound - underwater everything
    20. Caledon Forest - secret unfinished JP
    21. Rata Sum Jail
    22. Strraits of Devastation - the secret cave. Boinus points to anyone who knows what Im talking about. Also, the catacombs
    23. Malchor's Leap - all the underground areas
    24. Cursed Shore - underwater
    25. The Silverwastes - the whole JP underground area and the secret breakout
    26. Tangled Depths - Breaking out
    27. Tangled Depths that one tricky MP
    28. Tangled Depths - Secret disco room
    29. Tangled Depths - that area in the north, forgot the name, theres water and stuff
    30. Just.. Tangled Depths
    31. Auric Basin - the ley-line Jp with the mushrooms
    32. Auric Basin - Primetooth's little cave
    33. Dragon's Stand - the story areas
    34. Dragon's Stand - the area with legendary wyvern and pods (not the wyvern nest but thats cool too)
    35. Bloodstone Fen - the secret area behind the raid portal
    36. Ember Bay - Chalice of Tears
    37. Lake Doric- the pretty area with the stairs and lots of unbound magic
    38. Draconis Mons - everything. And the JP.
    39. Siren's Landing - the JP
    40. Caudecus' Manor - Caudecus' faces back when lws3 ep 4 didnt exist
    41. Citadel of Flame
    42. Crucible of Eternity
    43. Fractals - in the water level :P
    44. Arah is full of beautiful places, both in story and explorable
    45. Desert Highlands - under the map
    46. Desert Highlands - secret floating city
    47. Desert Highlands - Dwarven Ruins
    48. Domain of Vabbi - the jackal puzzle
    49. Jahai Bluffs as a whole honestly
    50. I could probably come up with more but yeah
  • alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

the Underwater World Under Eternal Battlegrounds (which you can get in via the Veteran Oakheart near Ogrewatch) and Under the Desert Map (which i got in by accident)

Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭

The pirate cave near LA, still.

• Drecien.4508Drecien.4508 Member ✭✭✭

Ascalonian catacombs, after the ghost eater go up the stairs and see the vacant room that could have been another dungeon path.

New mount skins?! Anet take my money!

• The Scrum meeting with the Skritt in the Silverwastes.

• Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭✭

Super Adventure Box toxic falls area World 1 Zone 3.

When I first discovered this area I was surprised at a) how hidden the area was b) you needed an item from World 2 to access it c) how secretive it was to navigate the initial acid maze. I had thought ANet maybe included the Kaiser Snake boss in this area because from afar the end of this secret area almost looks like it conceals an acid lake. Naturally I was so hyped. To my disappointment it led to two 50 Bauble chests and a 1-Up. Oh well :^(

• @Squirrel.6318 said:

would not mind a potentially lore breaking quest that revives gwen, back to the human she once was, to be one of the main heroes in gw2

OMG, yes. That moment was just jaw-dropping.

Yes, I started with Prophecies, and I did the Gwen thing. Then later on a different character, I dug through the tunnels under Kamadan and stomped through the mountains outside Boreal Station, and there was this huge building, and I descended to the bottom of it.

And this woman comes out and describes who's in charge of the building, and finishes, "I'm Gwen." There's a permanent dent in my floor where my jaw hit it.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

There are also several rooms in guild halls (At least in Gilded Hollow and Lost Precipice) that have been blocked off. They're fully modeled rooms and my assumption was that they were intended to expand as further development of guild halls continued. But we've seen how that's worked out... :(

• My favorite place is the extra room behind the final bosses of Ascalonian Catacombs paths 1 and 3. Looks really cool with the platforms that aren't all there.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019

City in the sky in Desert Highlands and the area when breaking out of Thunderhead Peaks map because it looks like a snowy, foggy ocean that you can barely see through, almost like expecting something to come out of the fog while riding a skimmer

• @Tails.9372 said:

oh! he has a name? I wondered why a t-pose model was there.
    Also as I've broken every map in game, I have too many places to count, I especially like my wvw hiding places for dorking off, but the inner vault of the gilded hollow is my latest break "still unsure why the door was never openable".

@avey.4201 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

oh! he has a name? I wondered why a t-pose model was there.
    Also as I've broken every map in game, I have too many places to count, I especially like my wvw hiding places for dorking off, but the inner vault of the gilded hollow is my latest break "still unsure why the door was never openable".

I've been trying to get into that area forever! How on earth....

I managed to get under the crystal chamber platform but not quite into that chamber.

• But... if I told you, it would not be a secret anymore....over crowding would happen and I would no longer be alone to watch the stars...

Well after finally getting under Windswept Haven and exploring, I can say that there isn't much more to be seen than what's on the surface. But...

When running around the mine in Windswept Haven, I found a secret fake wall that led further into a mine that I have never noticed before. Maybe others have, but there is indeed a fake wall there you can walk through. It's not a lot to look at, but it's a fun little surprise!

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

The secret garden in the Grove. Its just beautiful.

Seek, and you shall find.

• @cptaylor.2670 said:
    Well after finally getting under Windswept Haven and exploring, I can say that there isn't much more to be seen than what's on the surface. But...

When running around the mine in Windswept Haven, I found a secret fake wall that led further into a mine that I have never noticed before. Maybe others have, but there is indeed a fake wall there you can walk through. It's not a lot to look at, but it's a fun little surprise!

If you get under windswept at night, thought, the stars come out and its like swimming through the universe.

@avey.4201 said:

I decorated two robots having a date behind those doors. Was able to put in the teleporting mirrors in there so now we can visit it anytime we want.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.