Put a message about 15k AP cap under achiev number! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Put a message about 15k AP cap under achiev number!

MetalGirl.2370MetalGirl.2370 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people post and ask about "AP bug" just to be told over and over that they've reached a cap and none of them bother googling what they think is a ''bug " themselves before posting.
It's about time you just put a message under the achievement number.

Example:

AP: 30.000
(Daily 15.000 cap achieved: you will no longer get AP from dailies)

Edit: I KNOW this was said before, so no need to tell me. It's just that Anet doesn't seem to care to finally add a simple line.

Give me hairstyles...

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

Cap needs to be increased imo..
    For people who don't play pvp and wvw.. once we hit the cap we're pretty much screwed until new content comes along.. and even then it's barely enough to make much progress.

That tiny bit of AP per day for some people was the only AP they got or could rely on to work towards the next reward..
    I barely bother with dailies anymore since there's no AP to earn.. the 2g per day incentive rapidly looses value once you've sold a legendary weapon XD

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:
    For people who don't play pvp and wvw.. once we hit the cap we're pretty much screwed until new content comes along.. and even then it's barely enough to make much progress.

That tiny bit of AP per day for some people was the only AP they got or could rely on to work towards the next reward..
    I barely bother with dailies anymore since there's no AP to earn.. the 2g per day incentive rapidly looses value once you've sold a legendary weapon XD

Funny enough the ones who are starved for ap is the wvw and pvp crowd.
    They dont get ap added through living story every 3ish months.

Indeed, daily AP again is likely their main source of new AP too.

• @DanteZero.9736 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:
    I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people post and ask about "AP bug" just to be told over and over that they've reached a cap and none of them bother googling what they think is a ''bug " themselves before posting.

Example:

Edit: I KNOW this was said before, so no need to tell me. It's just that Anet doesn't seem to care to finally add a simple line.

I can ask about this. I am not sure if it's been discussed or assessed for possible implementation, or whether there's a known reason we could not add it. But I'll try to find out.

Are there any chances you can also ask around and see if the 15k cap will ever get lifted? Not going to lie, I tend to log in just to do my daily for the AP and ever since I hit the cap, I rarely log in if at all.

Agreed, the cap never should have been put in place, it only catered for the casuals who didnt want to log in and play everyday.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

Make the mouseover daily and monthly AP numbers red instead of white when you reached the cap

• You'll still never catch up; any first year or two AP is forever gone, as well as past Festivals. The cap really wasn't put in place, way, way back when, for new players to 'catch up'.
    I'd love for the cap to be removed.

• I wouldn't mind if Daily AP's earned after 15,000 AP had some kind of reduced/diminished effect in place instead of there being a cap (i.e. doing Daily's after getting 15,000 AP's rewards 5 AP's instead of 10 AP's, then only 3 AP's instead of 5 AP's once you get past 30,000 AP's, etc.).

But yeah, not a big fan of the cap either.

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

• I've always been of the belief that things like diminishing returns are not helpful to players who are playing the game as intended and that the cap on daily AP is a punishment to players who log in and complete their daily activities as intended. If there's a concern that people would achieve AP 'too quickly', it is easily debated by the idea that dailies can only be completed once every 24 hours and by the reality that the rewards in the achievement boxes are negligible aside from the occasional gem and armor unlocks.

Simply put, if people are playing the game as intended, then reward them as intended. If you are concerned about abuse of the system, then handle the abusers.

• @Donari.5237 said:

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:
    Agreed, the cap never should have been put in place, it only catered for the casuals who didnt want to log in and play everyday.

I disagree with this interpretation. I think it was rather the opposite: it was put in place to remove the crushing pressure some players felt to never miss a day and to do every single daily there was lest they miss out on a smidge of AP and fall behind on the leaderboards.

Crushing pressure? Wow. If anyone feels that way, they should stop playing video games. Really, that's not healthy.

Regardless, I disagree with this interpretation. That may have been part of the rationale offered by ANet. If they really cared about players feeling pressure to play constantly, they'd stop putting reward grind into the game. Of course, that would kill the game, so not gonna happen.

No, the cap was put in because ANet needs grind to keep players playing. That's kind of the way MMO's are. A significant section of the player-base plays way too much, and developers keep them (and everyone else) playing by dangling rewards acquired via lengthy play (sometimes, lengthy repetitive play.). Meanwhile, the company makes money because people keep playing. Capping the daily AP means that if people want the AP rewards, they get/have to pursue the AP ANet trickles into the game.

The cap is here to stay. Since it is, a message might be a good idea.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

There should be some more suggestions as to what every PvP or WvW player can actually achieve, that doesnt involve hurting the game mode by adding non essential 'objectives'.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Donari.5237 said:

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

I disagree with this interpretation. I think it was rather the opposite: it was put in place to remove the crushing pressure some players felt to never miss a day and to do every single daily there was lest they miss out on a smidge of AP and fall behind on the leaderboards.

Crushing pressure? Wow. If anyone feels that way, they should stop playing video games. Really, that's not healthy.

Oh, i don't exactly disagree. Nevertheless, that was the reason for introducing daily cap. It was primarily the high achievers that were asking for it, because (now that they've already secured top places on the leaderboards), they wanted to be able to no longer work as intensively as before in order to keep those.

No, the cap was put in because ANet needs grind to keep players playing. That's kind of the way MMO's are. A significant section of the player-base plays way too much, and developers keep them (and everyone else) playing by dangling rewards acquired via lengthy play (sometimes, lengthy repetitive play.). Meanwhile, the company makes money because people keep playing. Capping the daily AP means that if people want the AP rewards, they get/have to pursue the AP ANet trickles into the game.

It's exactly opposite. After people hit the cap, that mean they are far less incentivized to keep logging every day. If they aren't incentivized to do so, they may start taking longer breaks. And that of course means there's lowered player presence in game (never a good thing) and also such players are less likely to use gemshop. Also, this works even on players that haven't yet reached the cap. They may not feel as pressured against taking a break, because they know that, due to cap, they will eventually catch up anyway.

Thus, the cap actually disincentivizes grind.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• dynomite.5834dynomite.5834 Member ✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

As a WvW only player - don't care at all about AP

• They need to get rid of the caps or stop with the 1 point and no point achievements.

☠ Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured? ☠

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and they never get to try again."

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

Completely disagree. I never touch PvE and rarely play WvW unless I am grabbing a daily (Vet, big spender,ruin) or following a reward path and I am sure there are many other. Taking off the cap or increasing would be a great solution.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

Quoting myself here:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    It would be nice if the dailies-for-AP system would get extended for one with diminishing returns. like:

Completing three dailies:
    10Ap/day for the first 15,000
    5Ap/day for 15,000 - 25,000
    3Ap/day for 25,000 - 35,000
    2Ap/day for 35,000 - 45,000
    1Ap/day for 45,000+

Numbers can be changed and are just to indicate the principle.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/202581/#Comment_202581
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/366028/#Comment_366028

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Donari.5237 said:

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

Oh, i don't exactly disagree. Nevertheless, that was the reason for introducing daily cap. It was primarily the high achievers that were asking for it, because (now that they've already secured top places on the leaderboards), they wanted to be able to no longer work as intensively as before in order to keep those.

It's exactly opposite. After people hit the cap, that mean they are far less incentivized to keep logging every day. If they aren't incentivized to do so, they may start taking longer breaks. And that of course means there's lowered player presence in game (never a good thing) and also such players are less likely to use gemshop. Also, this works even on players that haven't yet reached the cap. They may not feel as pressured against taking a break, because they know that, due to cap, they will eventually catch up anyway.

Thus, the cap actually disincentivizes grind.

Because endless grind is a great way to keep players playing a game they are otherwise done with.

• @MetalGirl.2370 said:

Oh the irony, posting things that have been posted before in an attempted to curb people posting things that have been posted before.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger
    |Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior
    |Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blude.6812 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

Completely disagree. I never touch PvE and rarely play WvW unless I am grabbing a daily (Vet, big spender,ruin) or following a reward path and I am sure there are many other. Taking off the cap or increasing would be a great solution.

So you dont pve and wvw got it.
    Since you pvp the other people I say are starved for ap how do you disagree with my statment again?
    Maybe you wanted to quote Teratus.2859

• @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

Oh the irony, posting things that have been posted before in an attempted to curb people posting things that have been posted before.

and the difference is that there are not a handful of posts like mine, because something would've been done if people posted constantly.
    while you can find posts about cap every week.

Give me hairstyles...

• Bovan.9481Bovan.9481 Member ✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

What bothers me more is that there are players who bypassed the cap because they gained more through dailies and monthlies before they got merged together. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but it feels horribly unfair that some players have achievement points which are literally unobtainable and I think those achievement points should be removed.

I have my gripes with the older living story content and removed achievements as well, but at least I can somewhat understand those.

• @MetalGirl.2370 said:
    and the difference is that there are not a handful of posts like mine, because something would've been done if people posted constantly.

It's a mistake to assume that something would have been done.

As I said earlier, myself & others have been posting about this regularly since the cap was introduced, pretty much any time there's a slew of posts when people express confusion about the cap.

The reason people complain more about the cap (and the reason they keep digressing this thread) is that the perceived pain of a cap is something that they notice daily. In contrast, the initial confusion about the existence of the cap is something that people experience only once.

For me, this should be a no-brainer for ANet: no one should be surprised by the existence of the cap. It's not a secret; it's not one of those things that can possibly delight us to discover (quite the contrary). I'm okay with them never telling us exactly why they think the cap is good for the game (I don't like it, but I can accept it). I'm really mystified why the game doesn't make it clear that there's a cap.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

@Bovan.9481 said:
    What bothers me more is that there are players who bypassed the cap because they gained more through dailies and monthlies before they got merged together. I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but it feels horribly unfair that some players have achievement points which are literally unobtainable and I think those achievement points should be removed.

I have my gripes with the older living story content and removed achievements as well, but at least I can somewhat understand those.

Not true, noone has more than 15k combined daily+monthly AP

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

@Linken.6345 said:

@Blude.6812 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

Since you pvp the other people I say are starved for ap how do you disagree with my statment again?

LOL. Hit the wrong quote, sorry. And it seems the one I thought I was quoting is now gone.

@Blude.6812 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@Blude.6812 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:

LOL. Hit the wrong quote, sorry. And it seems the one I thought I was quoting is now gone.

Np it can happen to all of us =)

• Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arsenic Touch.7960 said:
    They need to get rid of the caps or stop with the 1 point and no point achievements.

Yeah, this. The cap wouldn't be so bad if the achievement rewards weren't so paltry otherwise, but achievement rewards have been god-awful for years (especially for the investment in time and/or gold they often require).

• Solvar.7953Solvar.7953 Member ✭✭✭

I don't know if it is intended, but looking at GW efficiency, for my account there is ~18000 permanent AP that are achievable, at 15000 for daily login rewards. Which means that about half of my AP will be daily rewards.
    And of the 18000, many become increasingly difficult (number of kills for weapon master, slayer, PVP, go up dramatically). I'm fine with the way that works.
    However, it does mean that for a lot of players, the only reasonable way to get AP is the daily login rewards. Though festivals do give some decent rewards now also.

• Zeivu.3615Zeivu.3615 Member ✭✭✭

Hell, even the PvE rewards track tells you when you are maxed out for the day with a bright red exclamation point and a mouseover explanation...

• Bovan.9481Bovan.9481 Member ✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Bovan.9481 said:

I can give you an account which does, but I will not be doing this in public. Feel free to contact me in-game.

edited February 11, 2019

@Bovan.9481 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Bovan.9481 said:

I can give you an account which does, but I will not be doing this in public. Feel free to contact me in-game.

what do you mean you will give me an account? Just post a screenshot of it. Unless it is a top 1000 account, noone will figure out the name from it. If it is a top 1000 account you can use the private message feature on these forums.

• Daddicus.6128Daddicus.6128 Member ✭✭✭✭

Putting a note out about it won't solve the root problem: the cap punishes the game's most loyal players. We are singled out for punishment.

The cap has another side effect: only seventeen people in the world have reached 39,000 APs. Eleven Million customers, but only seventeen have reached the top. With Living World Season One points unavailable now, if you weren't here for that, it's essentially impossible to attain a full set of the AP rewards' armor.

I still love this game, but that's a very bitter pill to swallow: I will almost certainly die of old age before I can ever get the radiant armor skins I started working towards sevenish years ago.

I had hope in Guild Wars 1, and eventually attained the highest rewards. It took almost nine years, but I did it: I bear the title Champion of the Gods. But, in GW2? It's hopeless. There is (likely) not enough time left in my life to get to 39,000.

even if it earned let say 15.500 the cap is 15000 so it wont count the last points mate.

edited February 12, 2019

@Bovan.9481 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Bovan.9481 said:

That's an interesting claim, seeing as (if i remember that right, Malediktus would probably know better) before merge the daily cap was 10k (monthly was 5k) and when that first cap got introduced, the top players were barely at it. I'd like to see screenshots of it as well.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• @Solvar.7953 said:
    I don't know if it is intended, but looking at GW efficiency, for my account there is ~18000 permanent AP that are achievable, at 15000 for daily login rewards. Which means that about half of my AP will be daily rewards.
    And of the 18000, many become increasingly difficult (number of kills for weapon master, slayer, PVP, go up dramatically). I'm fine with the way that works.
    However, it does mean that for a lot of players, the only reasonable way to get AP is the daily login rewards. Though festivals do give some decent rewards now also.

For the older players Festival stopped giving AP a long time ago. With most Festival Achievements you can only do them 5 times till you hit the max AP... even though it says Infinite... to me infinite means more then 5 times. :) My Daily AP have been done years ago too.
    To me this cap feels more like a punishment... you played to long so you get no reward anymore. I'm sure it was not the intention but still feels like that to me.
    I play almost every day and do all the stories and every PvE events yet gonna be about 7 years of paying to reach the last piece of the HellFire/ Radiant armor that seems exaggerated. Definitely the cap needs to be removed.

• Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭

First, yes, a statement would help. Second, the cap should be adjusted every year by a small amount--perhaps 500 or 1000? That way older players still get increases from doing dailies(and do not feel pressured to log in each and every day for each and every daily) and the newer folks can do more than the amount the cap was raised, thereby inching closer to max, but for them, as well, without the perceived pressure to login and do dailies every single day.

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭

@Etria.3642 said:
    First, yes, a statement would help. Second, the cap should be adjusted every year by a small amount--perhaps 500 or 1000? That way older players still get increases from doing dailies(and do not feel pressured to log in each and every day for each and every daily) and the newer folks can do more than the amount the cap was raised, thereby inching closer to max, but for them, as well, without the perceived pressure to login and do dailies every single day.

I would love to see them increase the daily cap a bit every year. If they're worried about newer players not being to catch up then, they could easily just make it so every daily now gives 1ap, and doing 3 of them still rewards 10. This way a person could get up to 19 (i think) daily ap.
    Im not sure when was the last time i bothered with dailies, most likely years ago (when i finished the cap).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• I was surprised at how demotivating/de-incentivizing reaching the Daily AP cap was for me.

But there it is... I log in so much less because of reaching that Daily AP cap. :anguished:

I so very much wish ANet would remove that cap altogether--as it does much more harm than good for player retention and for the "good of the game."

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

They can remove the cap after they make a way to get older AP.

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:
    They can remove the cap after they make a way to get older AP.

All old unobtainable ap + current cap should be the new cap.
    They should merge those old unobtainable achievments with the daily cap, while increasing the daily cap for around 5-8k and it would be gold.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• Loboling.5293Loboling.5293 Member ✭✭✭

I'm getting close to the cap and I'm wondering how itll affect my gameplay.... I wish they would increase the cap to 25,000 or 30,000

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

Example:

So somebody seriously does the dailies on 1,500 days and doesn't notice that there's a cap? How unattentive can a person be?

@Yannir.4132 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

Example:

So somebody seriously does the dailies on 1,500 days and doesn't notice that there's a cap? How unattentive can a person be?

Well it never says there is a cap anywere so its easy to miss mate.

edited February 15, 2019

@Yannir.4132 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

Example:

How would they know? It's not like there's any information in the game about it. Nor, by the way, is there a clear indication you've stopped receiving AP (unlike with every other achievement, the daily meta popups still show you getting 10 ap even after hitting the cap).

There's a reason why, even now, from time to time you see posts of people thinking they were hit by some sort of a bug.

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

Fair enough. Still, 1500 days is a long time never to accidentally hear that there's a total daily AP cap. It's more than 4 years of playing every day.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

Fair enough. Still, 1500 days is a long time never to accidentally hear that there's a total daily AP cap. It's more than 4 years of playing every day.

And yet people that hit the cap without realizing something like that exists show up with surprising frequency.

...seriously, we're not talking theory here. Those people do exist in reality. You doubting that doesn't make them disappear.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.