Where to Hide That Extra Gold? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Where to Hide That Extra Gold?

alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

So let's try to play the game of the billionaires. if they spread their wealth in philantrophy, another companies, etc., we can simulate that in gw2.

use the tp. for example, if a legendary costs 9000k gold and another is 8000k gold, you can make those 2 as "wallets". make a buy order for 150 gold for 1 and 160 gold for the 2nd and you have 310 gold inside the BLTC.

just in case you zero your gold from crafting expensive items, just check your buy orders, cancel and whalla. 310 gold for you.

(and i can see that this can be exploited, causing a massive hogging of the TP, if all of the players do this. maybe simulating the Stock market crash.)

Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

Comments

  • Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

    I keep 500 gold stashed away as a buy order on a Legendary Weapon. It’s very useful when sudden expenses come up.

    Edit: you don’t need to use 2 different items. You can make multiple buy orders for the same item.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭

    @Dawdler.8521 said:
    If a legendary cost 9000k gold - or 9,000,000 gold to be more precise - that have to be an amazing legendary.

    Probably a bent wooden stick with a snail crawling back and forth on it.

    Just guessing.

    And when you pull it out, the snail catches on fire. It runs (slowly crawls, but for a snail it's running) up and down the end of the stick, screaming in horrifying agony. Best torch in the game.

    And I want it.

    ..... anyways.... I was going to post and say "Is saving gold really such an issue for some people?" But then I remembered that I'm currently pretty much broke in-game, so... Maybe I need to start placing some silly buy orders to 'hide' my gold from myself.

    Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

  • alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

    @Dawdler.8521 said:
    If a legendary cost 9000k gold - or 9,000,000 gold to be more precise - that have to be an amazing legendary.

    Probably a bent wooden stick with a snail crawling back and forth on it.

    Just guessing.

    Well in the real world, prices just go up and up. so after 5 years, a legendary could be like 10,000K gold. and for sure itll be amazing since, following the trend of tech and apply it to art, things just keeps better and better (or is it really?).

    Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

  • Khailyn.6248Khailyn.6248 Member ✭✭✭

    I used to put in buy orders for items on the TP, now i just deposit it into the bank of a private guild (im the only member). Yea it cost me 52 gold or so to buy the upgrade and some guild missions but its handy to store things.

  • alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭

    @Khailyn.6248 said:
    I used to put in buy orders for items on the TP, now i just deposit it into the bank of a private guild (im the only member). Yea it cost me 52 gold or so to buy the upgrade and some guild missions but its handy to store things.

    guild bank deposit have maxed amount of gold that it can have, while spreading it in TP almost has no limits (look at the numbers of expensive items comparable with legendaries like infusions and such)

    Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

  • Khailyn.6248Khailyn.6248 Member ✭✭✭

    @alcopaul.2156 said:

    @Khailyn.6248 said:
    I used to put in buy orders for items on the TP, now i just deposit it into the bank of a private guild (im the only member). Yea it cost me 52 gold or so to buy the upgrade and some guild missions but its handy to store things.

    guild bank deposit have maxed amount of gold that it can have, while spreading it in TP almost has no limits (look at the numbers of expensive items comparable with legendaries like infusions and such)

    I'm aware of that. However since my primary interest in game is making legendary weapons the amount of gold I have doesnt tend to get nearly that high and the extra storage space for materials is a large benefit.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I just hope you wont need more then 500g withdrawn from that guild bank since thats the limit each week aint it?

  • @alcopaul.2156 said:

    @Dawdler.8521 said:
    If a legendary cost 9000k gold - or 9,000,000 gold to be more precise - that have to be an amazing legendary.

    Probably a bent wooden stick with a snail crawling back and forth on it.

    Just guessing.

    Well in the real world, prices just go up and up. so after 5 years, a legendary could be like 10,000K gold. and for sure itll be amazing since, following the trend of tech and apply it to art, things just keeps better and better (or is it really?).

    I don't think any Legendary will ever be 10 million Gold, nor will the Trading Post ever raise its limit to even 1 million.

  • mauried.5608mauried.5608 Member ✭✭✭

    The only reason prices go up in MMOs is hyperinflation and so far GW2 has done a very good job of stopping this .
    Prices are set purely by supply / demand economics and as long as anything in the game can be produced by any player, price rises are held down.

  • Personally, my main method of saving gold is temperance. If I don't want to spend gold, I just don't. I have no need for silly things like obtusely hidden caches.

    "Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

  • @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    Personally, my main method of saving gold is temperance. If I don't want to spend gold, I just don't. I have no need for silly things like obtusely hidden caches.

    In that case, I’m sure you don’t have a Savings Account in the real world. A Savings Account, separate from a Checking Account, is used to “obtusely hide” money from people so they don’t spend it. If people didn’t need to “obtusely hide” money then they’d keep all their money in a Checking Account and simply use “temperance” and not spend it.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    Personally, my main method of saving gold is temperance. If I don't want to spend gold, I just don't. I have no need for silly things like obtusely hidden caches.

    In that case, I’m sure you don’t have a Savings Account in the real world. A Savings Account, separate from a Checking Account, is used to “obtusely hide” money from people so they don’t spend it. If people didn’t need to “obtusely hide” money then they’d keep all their money in a Checking Account and simply use “temperance” and not spend it.

    A savings account is good for accruing interest. The bank literally pays me to have one. Well, it would, if I my mystery disease didn't render me invalid for the past 8 years. Anyway, the reason why the bank does this is because giving your money to a bank is effectively giving the bank a loan. It's a service, and they pay you for that service though interest. Savings, CDs, and bonds have higher interest rates than checking accounts because they are long term guarantees. Each bond is like a contract, where you pay the bank to use your money for a set amount of time. So, if you have excess that you're pretty sure you won't need anytime soon, you can throw it into a CD or into bonds and reap the benefits later.

    The irony of all this is that I learned good money sense from playing videogames. Uncharted Waters: New Horizons was probably the best unintended learning experience I ever had. Aside from teaching me naval history, some of the trade history, and geography, it also taught me how to manage money. In that game, you can "lose" in the sense that you can get stuck if you don't have the funds to make the trip. You have to ration your resources and estimate the costs of your next venture, or else you'll lead yourself into ruin.

    That all said, I remain ever judgemental of people who have bad spending habits. Growing up, my family had a lot of "friends" who were frequently in financial trouble. Though my family wasn't wealthy in any sense, we were always giving our money (and other things) to various friends of the family. It began to tick me off when, in one Christmas, out entire tree was filled with gifts that wasn't going to us and three turkeys in our fridge that we weren't going to eat. We don't have those friends anymore, because it turns out they were all filthy liars. Most of the time they had a gambling problem. Any time we gave them money, they would immediately blow it on slot machines and then not have money for rent/food, and come to us begging again. Over and over again. Once we stopped giving them money, they quit being friends and just started begging for money elsewhere.

    So yeah, I have a low opinion of people who have poor impulse control, because they've brought my family so much strife. Consider this the advice of a slowly dying man: poor money management will lead you to ruin. Doesn't matter how much you make. You can't curb this impulsiveness by hiding your money away, because ultimately you still know where your money is, and you will blow your bonds early just to play video poker. All of the good money advice in the world doesn't mean squat if you won't follow it. Temperance is a virtue, and delayed gratification is a skill that everyone should have. If you don't have temperance, work on it.

    "Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

  • @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    Personally, my main method of saving gold is temperance. If I don't want to spend gold, I just don't. I have no need for silly things like obtusely hidden caches.

    In that case, I’m sure you don’t have a Savings Account in the real world. A Savings Account, separate from a Checking Account, is used to “obtusely hide” money from people so they don’t spend it. If people didn’t need to “obtusely hide” money then they’d keep all their money in a Checking Account and simply use “temperance” and not spend it.

    A savings account is good for accruing interest. The bank literally pays me to have one. Well, it would, if I my mystery disease didn't render me invalid for the past 8 years. Anyway, the reason why the bank does this is because giving your money to a bank is effectively giving the bank a loan. It's a service, and they pay you for that service though interest. Savings, CDs, and bonds have higher interest rates than checking accounts because they are long term guarantees. Each bond is like a contract, where you pay the bank to use your money for a set amount of time. So, if you have excess that you're pretty sure you won't need anytime soon, you can throw it into a CD or into bonds and reap the benefits later.

    The irony of all this is that I learned good money sense from playing videogames. Uncharted Waters: New Horizons was probably the best unintended learning experience I ever had. Aside from teaching me naval history, some of the trade history, and geography, it also taught me how to manage money. In that game, you can "lose" in the sense that you can get stuck if you don't have the funds to make the trip. You have to ration your resources and estimate the costs of your next venture, or else you'll lead yourself into ruin.

    That all said, I remain ever judgemental of people who have bad spending habits. Growing up, my family had a lot of "friends" who were frequently in financial trouble. Though my family wasn't wealthy in any sense, we were always giving our money (and other things) to various friends of the family. It began to tick me off when, in one Christmas, out entire tree was filled with gifts that wasn't going to us and three turkeys in our fridge that we weren't going to eat. We don't have those friends anymore, because it turns out they were all filthy liars. Most of the time they had a gambling problem. Any time we gave them money, they would immediately blow it on slot machines and then not have money for rent/food, and come to us begging again. Over and over again. Once we stopped giving them money, they quit being friends and just started begging for money elsewhere.

    So yeah, I have a low opinion of people who have poor impulse control, because they've brought my family so much strife. Consider this the advice of a slowly dying man: poor money management will lead you to ruin. Doesn't matter how much you make. You can't curb this impulsiveness by hiding your money away, because ultimately you still know where your money is, and you will blow your bonds early just to play video poker. All of the good money advice in the world doesn't mean squat if you won't follow it. Temperance is a virtue, and delayed gratification is a skill that everyone should have. If you don't have temperance, work on it.

    So good for you that you have great impulse control and so unfortunate that you’ve had such a poor familial history. However Savings Accounts are used worldwide by many people for money management and are an excellent tool for those that can benefit from it. I see no benefit in looking down on others for using a tool to help them save money while congratulating yourself for not needing one.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

    But if you have no impulse control you're gonna grab your money back anyway. just don't spend it rather than using some useless trick to 'hide it from yourself' that doesn't work at all.

  • hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

    I stock my gold savings as gems and since in most cases I don't have anything I want on the store, they just stay there in my wallet. I'm not doing any legendary or ascended thingy... so I stock. Note that I will be happy to spend my gold coins on additionnal cultural armors. Even unique headgears...
    Even tonics...

    +++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' DONE, Housing DONE, New asuran expansion DONE, Designing a new lounge "current", New GameMode DONE

  • GW Noob.6038GW Noob.6038 Member ✭✭✭

    I'm confused...what is the point of this thread? Why would I want to "hide" my "extra" gold?

  • Stashed away some ogld in a personal guild bank.. didnt trust myself with the amount of gold :P

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    1) Obligatory "if anyone has extra gold they don't have a use for you can always give it to me and I'll find a use for it" comment, because no one has done that yet.

    2) I don't normally do it myself but I understand why people might want to do this. When I was making my first legendary - back when precursors were only available as a random drop so the only practical way to get the right one was to buy it - I put money into my private guild bank to save up for it, so I could keep track of how much I had saved while also keeping a small amount of coin for waypoints, repairs and other expenses.

    Although actually part of the reason I don't need to do this is because I tend to only save gold until I have enough for the next thing I want to buy, so I often have about 100g of buy orders on the TP (or more). But I'd actually like those to be fulfilled, so they're realistic bids, it's just extremely rare for them all to go through.

    I have to deal with saving and budgeting money in real life, I quite like not worrying about it in games.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

    My goodness. I didn’t realize how many people don’t understand the value of a Savings Account and how keeping your Savings money separate from your Spending money helps you save up money. Any small barrier between the impulse to spend and actually spending is enough for many people to have second thoughts and reconsider. Putting your gold in a buy order puts a pause between wish and action as you have to find the order, cancel it, then get the gold.

    I guess it’s all in how you’re raised. My dad took me to the bank at 10 years old to open a Savings Account to put my allowance money in. I’ve always kept the 2 pools of money separate and use it in game here to save up 100’s of gold easily and routinely keep 500 gold as a buy order so that when I see something expensive I want I always have the funds.

    I frequently see people post and say they only have a few gold in spite of playing regularly. They dribble it away by buying this and that on impulse and never have gold for big purchases. These are the people who would benefit from using buy orders to save up gold for things that are out of reach because the game doesn’t easily allow you to stash away gold like real life does for money.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    In my case it's not that I don't understand the benefit of saving gold, or I don't know how to - I just don't feel any need to keep it seperate. There's not really anything you have to buy in GW2, even waypoint fees are avoidable (and also very cheap), and no real consequences for 'missing' a purchase - it's not like you're ever in danger of losing your home or starving because you can't make a payment on time. Plus there's a lot of options to make extra money quickly if you need it. So I don't need to budget for regular bills, save for unexpected expenses and so on, all the gold I'm saving is for things I'd like but don't need, equivalent to the money left over in real life I spend on games, books, eating out etc.

    Basically it's all 1 fund and being saved for things I want rather than need. Which makes it fairly simple for me - I have a mental list of stuff I want to buy, roughly in order of priority, and I save my gold until I have enough for the next thing on the list. Then I buy that thing and start over. Because the thing I'm saving for is always the one I want most there's no temptation to buy something else first just because it's cheaper.

    Sometimes priorities change of course, maybe something new is released or I decide I want a new skin or dye because I'm re-designing a character, then the list changes and I act accordingly. (List is a bit of a strong word, it's more like a word cloud which is always in flux.)

    The one exception is August and September each year, when I start saving up for candy corn so I don't have to grind the Labyrinth quite as much to get the new Halloween mini. (Although last year's one was cheaper, which hopefully is a trend that will continue in future years.)

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    In my case it's not that I don't understand the benefit of saving gold, or I don't know how to - I just don't feel any need to keep it seperate. There's not really anything you have to buy in GW2, even waypoint fees are avoidable (and also very cheap), and no real consequences for 'missing' a purchase - it's not like you're ever in danger of losing your home or starving because you can't make a payment on time. Plus there's a lot of options to make extra money quickly if you need it. So I don't need to budget for regular bills, save for unexpected expenses and so on, all the gold I'm saving is for things I'd like but don't need, equivalent to the money left over in real life I spend on games, books, eating out etc.

    Basically it's all 1 fund and being saved for things I want rather than need. Which makes it fairly simple for me - I have a mental list of stuff I want to buy, roughly in order of priority, and I save my gold until I have enough for the next thing on the list. Then I buy that thing and start over. Because the thing I'm saving for is always the one I want most there's no temptation to buy something else first just because it's cheaper.

    Sometimes priorities change of course, maybe something new is released or I decide I want a new skin or dye because I'm re-designing a character, then the list changes and I act accordingly. (List is a bit of a strong word, it's more like a word cloud which is always in flux.)

    The one exception is August and September each year, when I start saving up for candy corn so I don't have to grind the Labyrinth quite as much to get the new Halloween mini. (Although last year's one was cheaper, which hopefully is a trend that will continue in future years.)

    So you are saving up to buy what you want and using your methods which work for you. However my post isn’t for those like you who can save easily to get the things they want and it’s not for those who have no goals and happily spend as they wish. My post is for those who want to save some gold but find the gold slipping away so that even a 10-20 gold purchase is a stretch. Those are the people who can benefit from using the trading post buy orders as a way to stash gold away so that they can save enough to buy some gems, or anything that costs more than what they normally have in their wallet.

    Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

    Forum Guides: Images. Text

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

    @Khailyn.6248 said:
    I used to put in buy orders for items on the TP, now i just deposit it into the bank of a private guild (im the only member). Yea it cost me 52 gold or so to buy the upgrade and some guild missions but its handy to store things.

    As mentioned by Linken, there is a limit you can withdraw from the bank per week, and that limit is 500 gold. Just putting this here to make sure people who aren't aware of this are forewarned.

    There is no limit as to how much gold you can deposit in your guild bank, but if you deposit say 2k gold, it would take 1 month to withdraw this amount again.

  • alcopaul.2156alcopaul.2156 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019

    @TheMaverick.6104 said:
    Stashed away some ogld in a personal guild bank.. didnt trust myself with the amount of gold :P
    @GW Noob.6038 said:
    I'm confused...what is the point of this thread? Why would I want to "hide" my "extra" gold?

    coz if some account hijacker will hijack your account and steal all the gold from you, he might not notice the gold that you spread on the TP.

    ooooppssss now they know.

    lel.

    Your Math Tèacher [MATH]
    Digital Headhuntaz [aBrA]

  • Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @GW Noob.6038 said:
    I'm confused...what is the point of this thread? Why would I want to "hide" my "extra" gold?

    To avoid/limit the damage of an accidental purchase maybe.

    @alcopaul.2156 said:

    @TheMaverick.6104 said:
    Stashed away some ogld in a personal guild bank.. didnt trust myself with the amount of gold :P

    coz if some account hijacker will hijack your account and steal all the gold from you, he might not notice the gold that you spread on the TP.

    ooooppssss now they know.

    lel.

    All they would have to do is create an API and toss it on gw2e or one of the other sites that can easily show how an account's value is spread out.

  • Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

    Man im gonna have to learn how to gold in this game.

  • @GW Noob.6038 said:
    I'm confused...what is the point of this thread? Why would I want to "hide" my "extra" gold?

    As someone inherently frugal, I also fail to comprehend the need for hiding gold. Just don't spend it. Done.

    Proud to be a member of the Charter Vanguard [CV] on the Henge of Denravi

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @alcopaul.2156 said:

    @TheMaverick.6104 said:
    I'm confused...what is the point of this thread? Why would I want to "hide" my "extra" gold?

    I have the same question - why bother doing this?

    coz if some account hijacker will hijack your account and steal all the gold from you, he might not notice the gold that you spread on the TP.
    ooooppssss now they know.
    lel.

    If someone hacked your account to steal your stuff, making sure to drain your TP items (and probably sell off whatever items you have for auction for the current bid) is a very obvious, basic thing they'd definitely do. I don't see any advantage to this unless you've maxed out the gold you can have in your wallet, and if that's the case just give some away kitten.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Biff.5312 said:
    I don't see any advantage to this unless you've maxed out the gold you can have in your wallet, and if that's the case just give some away kitten.

    In a game where they release new gem store items on a regular basis, and you can purchase gems with gold, the thought of "maxed out on gold" makes no sense to me...

  • PlagueParade.7942PlagueParade.7942 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

    @Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    Personally, my main method of saving gold is temperance. If I don't want to spend gold, I just don't. I have no need for silly things like obtusely hidden caches.

    In that case, I’m sure you don’t have a Savings Account in the real world. A Savings Account, separate from a Checking Account, is used to “obtusely hide” money from people so they don’t spend it. If people didn’t need to “obtusely hide” money then they’d keep all their money in a Checking Account and simply use “temperance” and not spend it.

    It's not the real world it's a freakin game. And no one else should be using your account besides just you since it's against their policy, so that's also something that you shouldn't have to worry about. Besides "hiding" gold in the tp doesn't mean you forget about it. Nothings gonna stop you from taking out and spending it. The only reason I can see anyone hiding gold would be people who stream. Then do this Tp idea sure.

    And i'm also not gonna look at this post again have a nice day all.

  • Kalendraf.9521Kalendraf.9521 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @Biff.5312 said:
    I don't see any advantage to this unless you've maxed out the gold you can have in your wallet, and if that's the case just give some away kitten.

    In a game where they release new gem store items on a regular basis, and you can purchase gems with gold, the thought of "maxed out on gold" makes no sense to me...

    That assumes those items are actually things you want to spend your gold/gems on obtaining. I rarely buy new items from the gemstore, and I'd prefer to hold onto my gold for those rare times when I find something I do want.

    Proud to be a member of the Charter Vanguard [CV] on the Henge of Denravi

  • @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @Biff.5312 said:
    I don't see any advantage to this unless you've maxed out the gold you can have in your wallet, and if that's the case just give some away kitten.

    In a game where they release new gem store items on a regular basis, and you can purchase gems with gold, the thought of "maxed out on gold" makes no sense to me...

    Well only if you are into those things. With this I mostly mean cosmetics. Personally I have little interest in cosmetics and for someone like me there is not really much you can spend on in this game. I have enough gold to buy me the new mount and a few ascended sets and that is my future buying plan but I don't really have time and interest to get them now. Never really was into legendaries since they are mostly cosmetics with some additional convenience.
    If you are like me who is mostly playing for the game play itself you actually accumulate more gold than needed.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.