Gem-store items availability

Ideally, we would be able to buy any gemstore item that appears in the bank or the wardrobe interfaces by right clicking the icon and selecting "Buy" in the context menu that would appear.Then a confirmation dialog with the price would appear, like the message that appears when clicking the lock icons in the inventory and the bank to buy more bags and tabs.Accept the message while having enough gems, the gems are spent, and you get the item. directly like when getting it from a guaranteed wardrobe unlock.

This way we could have access to all items without having all items in the gemstore.

The price when the item is off the gemstore would probably have to increase to compensate having access to it all year round.And of course since only individual items would be purchasable, that means items part of a package would be even more expensive than buying the package that contains them, like with back&glider combos.But a higher price is definitely better than not having access to the items at all.

@"AshkyLicious.4729" said:I liked the idea of getting a notification for the item youre waiting for when its available again, which was mentioned above by Hoover.6394.That would defeat the intent to have users log in constantly in order to see if the thing(s) they want are available. The tactic is that by "forcing" a user to log in, that just maybe they will make a different purchase even though the item(s) they seek isn't (aren't) available at that time.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"AshkyLicious.4729" said:I liked the idea of getting a notification for the item youre waiting for when its available again, which was mentioned above by Hoover.6394.That would defeat the intent to have users log in constantly in order to see if the thing(s) they want are available. The tactic is that by "forcing" a user to log in, that just maybe they will make a different purchase even though the item(s) they seek isn't (aren't) available at that time.

You make a good point, but I cant really apply that to myself though. I login-in in the game because there’s plenty of stuff to do like pve, pvp etc. and if something keeps me want to log-in everyday, it’s the dailys that you get everyday. The gemstore mostly frustrates me since you dont have access to everything, and that makes me want to buy less stuff, cuz I get tired of the constant waiting dilemma.But that’s how it works for me, cant speak for the other players :)

if it isn't for sale it isn't available, that's how i see it.also, the longer they artificially make things scarce the less likely ill buy it, i like something at that moment and when it takes to long i lose interest really fast.ether sell it all the time or just don't bother selling it at all, it's simply a failed system more and more ppl don't participate in.

@sorudo.9054 said:if it isn't for sale it isn't available, that's how i see it.also, the longer they artificially make things scarce the less likely ill buy it, i like something at that moment and when it takes to long i lose interest really fast.ether sell it all the time or just don't bother selling it at all, it's simply a failed system more and more ppl don't participate in.

That’s how I feel aswell. I loose my interest when it takes too much time, and when the item comes back I wont bother to buy it usually.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Sure, that makes sense. As long as you recognize that it does affect the value that other people see and the purchase choices they make because of it.

Do people really put any value to the skins being unique because it’s not available all the time on the gemstore?

For me it’s only a skin like all the other skins in the game, but its sold in the gemstore instead of being sold in the TP for example.

All the other armor pieces i’ve bought before was for unlocking the different skins, and the skins alone has never felt unique for me since I know already that everybody else can buy them anyway.The thing that makes it unique for me is how you mix and match with all the different skins you have, to finally create the perfect look for your toon. That’s why I think that this artificial scarcity really doesnt need to be the only way to create more sale for anet. If somebody really wants a skin and it only exists in the gemstore, they will get it no matter if the skin is present all the time or not in the gemstore. It’s the final look for my toon that makes my toon unique, and Im sure that many players feel the same way and gets frustated of how the gemstore works today.

Just a note about the Starbucks comparison. A whole LOT of people LOVE LOVE the McDonald's shamrock shakes right? So way back when I was a manager there I decided I was tired of hearing my friends complain about them running out of the flavor after the holiday was over so I ordered extra.

And y'know what? People just plain stopped ordering them after the holiday. We kept the signs up and such but nope. Fortunately for me I didn't have to waste the extra three cases...we had a stand at a local fair and it was super hot that day. People bought them all.

That said the mixes actually expire after a period of 3-4 months so if Starbucks kept 20 flavors they likely wouldn't sell the out of season ones...because they wouldn't get ordered.

All that for my point. I always thought prices rose on the to between festivals since you can't get the items but they mostly don't. Its just like the shamrock shakes. Not the season? Eh, I don't REALLY need that winter infusion. It can wait until next year. So they probably only offer things on the gemstore that we are thinking about already, to spike our chance of buying. Then it's removed so it doesn't clog up the offerings.

@"Adenin.5973" said:Wow, who would've thought you'd find ppl making actual arguments for artificial scarcity of digital items.

Shop too bloated? Give me a break.

Not only should this tell you how messed up the rewards in this P2P game are when the ingame shop is almost bursting, while ppl crave for new content and rewards for years, it would also be quite telling how bad the UI and their data structure is, if they can't handle a few hundred items on display.

That said, I don't think it would be "bloated" at all. There are filters and categories, there's a search function and overall, as a vet player, you're most of the time still only interested in the first shop page, displaying the newly added stuff. Are you unable to use Amazon? How many million different items does this site offer?

However, the entire idea behind GW2 is to release every few weeks new shop items. The whales flood in and insta buy everything they think they ever will need, since it's gone in a few days. I can't imagine how much money they would lose if ppl only had to buy the stuff they know they really need. And imagine how many ppl would browse the shop, find an item they want and start grinding weeks to get enough gold and gems ingame for this item.

They will never let all items stay in the shop. It was a mistake that ppl didn't complain much harder about this 6 years ago . It's so anti consumer. Imagine going into a local supermarket to buy some milk. And when you don't find it you ask an employee and he tells you that their sortiment rotates on a secret basis. They won't tell you when you can buiy milk again but there's currently milk powder in their "Mystery Box", which you can buy for $5 each and which has 3 random items out of 30 items total in it.

Lol, ppl would probably burn this supermarket down. But with video games nowadays ppl defend this as the only way for studios to survive. That's so sad

I totally agree. I cannot fathom how people defend this practice.

@AshkyLicious.4729 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Sure, that makes sense. As long as you recognize that it does affect the value that other people see and the purchase choices they make because of it.

Do people really put any value to the skins being unique because it’s not available all the time on the gemstore?Yes, as it turns out. It's not so much because "it's not always available in the
gemstore
," as it is that familiarity breeds contempt: we unconsciously draw our attention to what we can't have, rarely to those things always available.

As evidence, look at the forums and reddit: most of the threads (not including this one) where the OP complains about the policy usually mention specific items. There are no posts in which people compliment ANet for items that have remained in the gem shop indefinitely, for ages. The missing stuff inspires passion and attention; the omnipresent items get ignored. And that passion & attention generates more sales.

There's a reasonable argument that this isn't "adding value;" it's just worrying that the item will disappear. Economists consider that a sort of value, in that they can measure the financial impact. Enough people spend enough more money on things because they are artificially scarce (both in game and in the real world). The loss from people like you (or me) who end up spending less is dwarfed by those who spend more.

If our shopping habits were 100% rational, there'd be only 2-3 different kinds of toothpaste (Stannous and Sodium Flouride), we'd pay less for music now (since distribution is cheaper), and we'd all drive the smallest, most economical vehicle. Oh and yeah, there wouldn't be artificial scarcity.

@AshkyLicious.4729 said:

@AshkyLicious.4729 said:I liked the idea of getting a notification for the item youre waiting for when its available again, which was mentioned above by Hoover.6394.That would defeat the intent to have users log in constantly in order to see if the thing(s) they want are available. The tactic is that by "forcing" a user to log in, that just maybe they will make a different purchase even though the item(s) they seek isn't (aren't) available at that time.

You make a good point, but I cant really apply that to myself though. I login-in in the game because there’s plenty of stuff to do like pve, pvp etc. and if something keeps me want to log-in everyday, it’s the dailys that you get everyday. The gemstore mostly frustrates me since you dont have access to everything, and that makes me want to buy less stuff, cuz I get tired of the constant waiting dilemma.But that’s how it works for me, cant speak for the other players :)

Thats not how revenue from micro transactions work though. Nobody cares about the people who spend a few bucks here and there. Their vast majority of income comes from a small percentage of whales with impulse control issues who just buy and buy forever. The shop is designed to lure THEM in, not you.

@Etria.3642 said:Just a note about the Starbucks comparison. A whole LOT of people LOVE LOVE the McDonald's shamrock shakes right? So way back when I was a manager there I decided I was tired of hearing my friends complain about them running out of the flavor after the holiday was over so I ordered extra.

And y'know what? People just plain stopped ordering them after the holiday. We kept the signs up and such but nope. Fortunately for me I didn't have to waste the extra three cases...we had a stand at a local fair and it was super hot that day. People bought them all.

That said the mixes actually expire after a period of 3-4 months so if Starbucks kept 20 flavors they likely wouldn't sell the out of season ones...because they wouldn't get ordered.

All that for my point. I always thought prices rose on the to between festivals since you can't get the items but they mostly don't. Its just like the shamrock shakes. Not the season? Eh, I don't REALLY need that winter infusion. It can wait until next year. So they probably only offer things on the gemstore that we are thinking about already, to spike our chance of buying. Then it's removed so it doesn't clog up the offerings.

Right, I wouldn't expect all the seasonal flavors to last year round and they certainly couldn't manage twenty flavors. But add 2-3 ones that people ask for year round? They could do that.

Shamrock Shakes aren't an example of artificial scarcity though: that's something with a specifically seasonal demand. I'm sure when you managed your local you saw other examples of Mickey D's bringing in something temporarily to pull in customers that wasn't associated with a time of year or holiday. With Starbucks, it's more like particular blends of coffee that they only offer for short tall periods.

(I do admire your foresight in being prepared and finding a way to turn too many lemons into... selling lemons. That was well done.)

Thanks everbody for a great discussion about this subject! I’ve certainly learned alot about marketing from you guys :D and things got clearer on why anet has designed the gemstore this way. I might not agree with it and oh if it is frustrating sometimes but hey, that’s life :P

If anybody would see the Dragons Eye Circlet in the gemstore just shout out loud :D haha

• 3 months later...

I was going to make a thread on this, but there already is one so ill put my two cents in. I agree with the op im more likely to buy if the store has the things i want on it. I think withholding to induce artificial scarcity as others have mentioned is a bad idea. Yeah sure the people that get it feel like they got something rare, but really if others wanted to buy it they would have when it was in the store. It makes no sense to not sell everything all the time, you can still have rotating sales on specific items. I think artificially inflating somethings rarity or value by withholding it is not really a good idea, it frustrates people more than anything.

Its not rare really, because anyone that wants it will buy it when its in the shop, this only punishes people that missed the item because they didnt play at the time or are new. They would have bought it if they wanted it when it was up if they had been around. There are several things i want to buy but talking with others that have played for a long time, they may not come back again for a year. Im not going to be sure im playing a year from now. Not only that but i would like those things now so i can enjoy them. They make the money either way, but they may lose sales if people arent around when they put it in the gem store. In other words im more likely to continue playing if i have cool toys on my account to play with.

@Tiviana.2650 said:I agree with the op im more likely to buy if the store has the things i want on it.Sure, plenty feel the same.

It just turns out, that business still make more money using artificial scarcity.That is: it doesn't matter that you (or I) might be more likely to spend if it's easier to buy when we want; lots of other people spend more if they are worried it might not be available later. In effect, the very sort of person who is prone to purchase on impulse is someone who isn't very cost conscious in the first place.

@Annaveil.5201 said:

@Malafaia.8903 said:This really kitten me up.I'm waiting almost a year to get the hydra staff, now.What's really infuriating is i don't know if i'll have to wait one more month or one more year.

I believe the Hydra staff is currently in the Black Lion Chest if you care to go the route. :)

Bro, thanks a lot for that notification, even tho i already got the staff i would HATE to miss the opportunity :D