Please Allow Us to Skip Dialogue

@Aridon.8362 said:Why not just skip story period.

Because when it comes to PVE what else are you going to do? Most people in this game dont do raids, so thats right out. Which leaves open world mapping, events, and mining, which can get old. Achievements, well theres only so many you can get in PVE, and alot of them are tied to the story, so if you are going after AP you have to do story.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Aridon.8362 said:Why not just skip story period.

Because when it comes to PVE what else are you going to do? Most people in this game dont do raids, so thats right out. Which leaves open world mapping, events, and mining, which can get old. Achievements, well theres only so many you can get in PVE, and alot of them are tied to the story, so if you are going after AP you have to do story.

I think I'm going to quit the game because of this comment for the 10th time.

Yes, please. How often should you have to do a story just to reveal maps for new characters? Tonight I had to repeat one story instance three times because I was bored and kept accidentally walking too far in different directions and leaving the instance before completing the last part - because I was trying to muddle through it while watching TV, lol. At least being able to skip the dialogue would make it all go a lot quicker.

@Ghanto.9784 said:Yes, please. How often should you have to do a story just to reveal maps for new characters? Tonight I had to repeat one story instance three times because I was bored and kept accidentally walking too far in different directions and leaving the instance before completing the last part - because I was trying to muddle through it while watching TV, lol. At least being able to skip the dialogue would make it all go a lot quicker.

Portal scrolls.

• 2 months later...

Can you at least put the npc dialog outside the story, instead of padding 10 minutes into the personal story that is just me sitting there bored waiting, while I look at the clock, because I have limited time to play. wondering to myself if I will even have time to finish the thing. I have yet to see any dialog that was relevant enough to affect the outcome of the personal story. If I wanted to read, I'd buy a book.

• 9 months later...

Here it is 2019 and I'm starting to make my way through the story line. The loooong dialogue is just too much. It makes me want to quit. I may never finish the story due to this. How about, if we can't skip it, you allow a FAST FORWARD where it speeds up? It might look a little weird but everything just goes in fast motion, still happens, and everybody wins.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Yes, especially when you are attempting story achievements, some of the dialogue gets absolutely and majorly annoying after a while. For instance, take the "World Summit" mission: you have to have the same conversations, watch the whole procession over and over again, if you don't manage to get all the achievements on your first try.

ALL of Season 2 is like this. I can't, can not, put up with Kasjory wooing at each other for five straight minutes in a crystal cave for that one achievement that fails me if I stub my toe wrong.

• 1 month later...

I understand why they can't do it, but also "correcting it would be impossible" is nonsense.

You can open a map from any [well-known company] game and see they figured it out easily. After the cutscenes are done they just manually set the position and state of all the NPCs and objects, whether the cutscene was cancelled or not. In other words they just force a clean state of the scene instead of assuming that everything will end up that way on its own..

Furthermore they often just use temporary NPCs during cutscenes, to prevent many bugs, and hide the real ones

I love ArenaNet as a company, but they were once [well-known company] too so its kind of sad to see things this way for them. I guess too many staff left over the years to maintain that level of quality, and why GW1 was better with this stuff overall.

Then again they swore up and down for many years they could never make capes and dyeable backpieces and here we are..

It's the worst possible way of making the living season content last longer. I don't care what kind of excuse they use, it shouldn't be this way to begin with.It's like being punished for buying those episodes - just frustrating and repetitive for no good reason.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

fast forward 2021:  just came here to complain

i'm like are you kidding me? bonus events, we redoing all the seasons with unskipable dialogue. i get  its nice for new people who haven't done them to catch up but man are they infuriating to sit through again. i'm literally mute all and ALT+TAB ing right now while i wait for dialogue to finish. sometimes i ALT+TAB forget about it and comeback to see i have been kicked for being idle for too long. i like achies but when i think about these unskipable dialogue that i will spend most of the time waiting for it breaks me. please give us this option to skip with end of dragons expansion. 

• Like 1

I have decided the rewards are not worth sitting through Living Story dialog again. Also, many of the achievements are mutually exclusive requiring listening a second time. Then if you fail to get the achievement you're after, you will need to sit through it yet again!

As someone who could barely stand these cartoon characters droning one about their troubles the first time, having to listen to it several more times for a legendary amulet is simply too much.