I don't like the way shields look — Guild Wars 2 Forums

I don't like the way shields look

Owon Dyah.3905Owon Dyah.3905 Member ✭✭
edited February 15, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

btw... where is suggestions subforum? or you dont need community feedback?

On topic... can we get shields to look like actual shields and not thin wooden planks?
ty

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

What do you think a shield should look like?

A shield basically is a thin sheet of wood and/or metal (as thin as you can get away with, without it being too weak). The size and shape varies depending on how it's intended to be used of course, but that's the basic design principal. GW2 has a lot which don't look anything like real shields and which would be horribly impractical in real life (the gen 2 legendary shield for a start - it's a fish tank, which would be both absurdly heavy and very fragile) but there's plenty of realistic designs to choose from as well.

My personal favourites for realistic shields are the Aureate Targe for a buckler, the Gate of Good-Byes for a tower shield, and the Elonian Wallshield and the charr Legion shields for something in between. (I like a lot of the unrealistic ones too, but I assume they're not relevant to this topic.)

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• omg these kitten fanboys...
    did you ever turned your camera... go do it now and post your shileds here

• whatever man...

just turn your camera and see how thin shileds are... then turn it to see your back and see all those textures that are not supposed to be... FLAT.
    And they are...

design quality of 2004 WoW

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'll post some shortly. I checked from every angle - the ones I have aren't thin as I don't use those ones

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

First one - Jade Dragon Shield

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

Right. The shield do look bad, a lot of them. If not the majority. However there are a few that look nice but I wouldn't skin them just because they don't look appropiate for a max leveled and max geared character. It would be pointless to skin a noob skin to an ascended or legendary item just because it looks "realistic". I want people to actually see that I'm a vetran who earned prestigious skins such as legendaries, raid skins etc. I'm always too anxious of what others think of me even if I want to use some more realistic stuff instead of the flashing horrors. So in this case I gotta show off and blind other players in effects rather than look like a scrub who struggles at even the easiest of things. In my opinion there should be far more shields that look like a "bullwark" or like the shields you often see on lances, gunlances and charge blades from the Monster Hunter series.

I'm Hunter, he/him/they
    Check out my Tumblr for more GW2 content if you want: http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/characters

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Donari.5237 said:
    I did a fast google of how thick medieval shields were. Most results were about Viking shields, and not focused on their thickness, but every single comment and cited research statement has them topping out at one inch thick. One example from the search: http://www.thearma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4283

Massive bulkhead door shields are a fantasy gaming trope but highly implausible as "actual shields."

I will agree that the texture in older GW2 shields can be lacking, and they can be pixelated and clip badly. But the thinness is what makes them look more like actual shields, not less.

I think the OP is refering to some shields being essentially two dimensional.

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:
    uhmm, what else do you think a shield is beside a wooden plank?

Not all shields are made from wood. Some are made from metal.
    It's a foriegn concept though.

Also the biggest problem imo is the lack of diversity in the shields front face and the almost lack of differentiations between types of shields.

It would be nice to see them add more kite and tower shields that with game specific emblems to them.

edited February 15, 2019

@Donari.5237 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Donari.5237 said:
    I did a fast google of how thick medieval shields were. Most results were about Viking shields, and not focused on their thickness, but every single comment and cited research statement has them topping out at one inch thick. One example from the search: http://www.thearma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4283

Massive bulkhead door shields are a fantasy gaming trope but highly implausible as "actual shields."

I will agree that the texture in older GW2 shields can be lacking, and they can be pixelated and clip badly. But the thinness is what makes them look more like actual shields, not less.

I think the OP is refering to some shields being essentially two dimensional.

Could be, but so far the OP has declined to mention specific shields causing issues, and has simply made a blanket statement about all GW2 shields. They ask to get some "actual shields" without describing what they mean by that, so responses have nothing specific to agree/disagree with and must simply deal with the assertion that the shields are too thin.

Some are ludicrously thin, which is a shame because they do stop me from using them. But I've posted 5 photos that show it's not a blanket problem to sate the OP's challenge

@Owon Dyah.3905 said:
    whatever man...

just turn your camera and see how thin shileds are... then turn it to see your back and see all those textures that are not supposed to be... FLAT.
    And they are...

design quality of 2004 WoW

It would help if you had explained what you meant in your initial post. I thought you were referring to the design of the shields, not the graphics quality.

• A shield made of metal needs to be at most a few millimeters thick, no more: otherwise, it would be too heavy to be used effectively in combat. In fact, bucklers were essentially the only kind of historical metal shields, and they were big just enough to cover the unarmed hand.

• Only tower shields were used to block. Arrows. They were rested on the ground to take cover behind them.
    Actual shields used in combat were thing and they were not used to block weapons, but to deflect them and push enemies away.

Want a real life shield? Get the cheapest one.

Oh where does the violin shield come from??

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind having a setting to just hide weapons when not in combat. I'd use a shield more if I didn't have to look at it when I wasn't in combat.

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• Whenever someone complains about armor or weapons being too small, too short, too thin or too plain it's clear they've never had any knowledge of real medieval weaponry. It's ok for things in games to be exaggerated for greater effect. However, players complaining about something being closer to its real counterpart when it is without detriment to gameplay gets annoying fast.

PvP? What's that? Never heard of it.

• @Randulf.7614 said:

It's from the orchestral set - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orchestral_Shield_Skin

• @Randulf.7614 said:

The shield looks more like some sort of cello or double bass than a violin. The angle of the screenshot might make it look bigger than it is though.

PvP? What's that? Never heard of it.

@Schimmi.6872 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

It's from the orchestral set - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orchestral_Shield_Skin

MINE!

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

Seeing all the pictures of people with their lovely shields, I feel rather plain now - I just use the Krytan shield for my guardian! :) I tend to go for plain/basic weapons for my characters, and the Krytan one fit my guardian's overall look. But I have to admit, there are some gorgeous shields out there, even ones that aren't very "realistic." Assaulter's Spirit Ward, Shield of the Moon, Ley Guard's Protector, Shiverpeak Shield...just to name a few.

fear not this night
    you will not go astray

• Calvsie.3675Calvsie.3675 Member ✭✭✭

OMG! love the picture of the guy in the white top hat!

“You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

• I’m so In love with all these fashion images with shields. Way to go!

• I'd like to use shields more but am turned away by how underwhelming most of the skills related to using them seem to be since there are some amazing looking shields

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭

This thread evolved <3

• @sorudo.9054 said:
    uhmm, what else do you think a shield is beside a wooden plank?

Please refer to Guild Tower Shield, and Vigil shield as examples of shields that don't looks like complete and utter dolyak dung.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019

I wouldn't mind seeing some smaller shields and bucklers - or, as mentioned, shields that don't look like shields (like how the Touch of Madness doesn't look like a traditional torch). The closest we have to a buckler is the Seraph shield, which kind of reminds me of a Yugioh Duel Disk (It's time to d-d-d-duel~)

If you're looking for a shield with little in the way of bulk, I think there are very few choices. If you're looking for shields that don't look like wooden planks (or are actually made of wooden planks), I think there are lots of choices.

• It's funny, I think of all the weapon types in the game, shields generally look the best, but I don't like the shield skills much so I hardly ever use them. Meanwhile, with a lot of weapon types I struggle to find a skin I like much. The bows are my least favourite, because to me they don't look like they have any tension in them.

I've never noticed any of the shields being unrealistically thin, although I have noticed several of them being implausibly thick...

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    There's no particular reason for a "sword" to look like a sword and honestly, there's no such thing as a focus in our world.

Not in combat but Wicca, neo-paganism and quite possibly other magical traditions do have the idea of using an object to focus either the casters power in general or a specific spell. Anything can work but wands, crystals, glass or crystal balls and pendants are popular.

But I've known wiccans who claimed to have enchanted everything from pens to hair clips to frying pans for different purposes.

So arguably the foci are the most consistently realistic in that they're any random object the casters thinks is useful. (And I love some of the random objects we can use for them.)

I like the weird and wonderful shields too, although for me it depends on the character, whatever it is has to suit them.

• I'd actually say the Inquest MKII shield is the most buckler like, if with a sci fi bent to it.

• Algreg.3629Algreg.3629 Member ✭✭✭

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Owon Dyah.3905 said:
    omg these kitten fanboys...

Maybe you should post some of the ones you hate, and maybe a couple that you would like to see more of?

@Owon Dyah.3905 said:
    omg these kitten fanboys...

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/01/06/crowdsourcing

• Super Adventure shield (Crimson).
    That shield even would have a background-story to be 2D, but is rather thick in my opinion. ^^

• Okay I went into this already negative based on TC's two first posts.

But I will say, they have a point.
    SOME of the shields are very flat and very thin.

Shields in real life ARE thin, you don't want a giant metal slab weighing you down and ruining your balance.
    I'll post some examples I think the TC means.

KODAN SHIELD

Glyphic Ward This one not so much.

Verdant Shield

So when you look at those, among the others there. They do look like a flat model with no depth.
    In that sense, I don't think the TC meant flat in terms of thickness, like having a giant brick on your arm, just shields which aren't paper thin.

• I always assumed that my shields were imbued with defensive magic, acting more like a focus to help shape the magic, so the actual weight and composition of the shield is irrelevant. It must one contain those materials that will help generate the best magic effects.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.