So, I'm 2000 hours into the game, mostly OW and a bit of fractals - filthy casual but got my rotation down and don't die any time there's anything more than a couple of Elites around, that kind of level. Never PVP in MMOs (other than Huttball).
I'm not normally an altaholic - I've always settled on classes in other MMOs pretty quickly and stayed with them (and they've not always been the same kind of class across games). With GW2 I've never managed to find a profession I can stick with because they're either classes whose style or theme I don't like (in any MMO) or they all seem to have some flaw that ruins them for me.
- Elementalist: Never liked ranged mage roles so staff is a no-go, and although I played quite a bit of d/d and d/f Tempest I really never really enjoyed it. Also my character is human and oh god the light armour on humans is so awful.
- Engineer: Barely played, but I've always disliked tech-based classes and turrets and stuff just seem really gimmicky.
- Guardian: Sure, DH has great burst but is too simple to play. FB was fun for a while but got very boring and axxeee skillss feeeell sooo sllloooow. Also whyyyyyyyy can't mantras just start charging when you join a map?.
- Mesmer: It's certainly .a unique class and I tried to give Mirage a good go, but the constant cloning and shattering and cloning and endless dodging to do damage feels weird. Relegated to porting people in daily JPs while I drink my morning coffee.
- Necro: My word Reaper is boring to play. Scourge is like... grind everything to the ground... eventually. I hate pet and minion classes so that rules out half the builds.
- Ranger: See above for pets, and just in general the play style feels.. detached?
- Rev: Loved the heavy-armour-ninja-from-the-mists style when HoT was released but quickly saw the flaws in the energy and legend system, and it hasn't been fixed in however many years and Renegade did nothing to help so OK that one's shelved. Shame.
- Thief: You bring nothing for anyone else at all and it's all dodging until you miss a beat and go down.
- Warrior: Still have a lot of fun on this on and off and it's effectively my main, but I know my role is just hulk smash. Oddly, given how simple it is, I don't find it as boring as guard. SB feels like I'm playing a PVP class and using one skill from it (FC obvs), loved setting myself on fire as a Berserker but shooting a longbow at my own feet to set fire to everything with the same skill repeatedly feels really broken.
Does anyone else have this struggle? I really don't know what it is about the gripes that seem so fundamentally off-putting, and why it's only in GW that I seem to have the problem, but yet I enjoy the game overall enough to continue playing.