Guild Wars 1 Back to Life?

Chrios.1408

GW1 was my first MMORPG. It was very much a game that I played with my friends. There are aspects of it that I miss, but also some that I don't.

When GW2 came out we migrated to it and have been enjoying it ever since. I still log-in to GW1 every now and then to check out how things were, but keep coming back to GW2.

The crux of the situation is time. There's a saying that we only have two commodities: time and money, and we are trading one and/or the other for things we enjoy. I believe that we only have one commodity: time, which we use for everything we do. Fundamentally, we trade time for money, so our time is the only commodity that we actually have.

The most useful thing I gleaned from Economics is the principle of scarcity, which basically states having one finite item means not having other item(s). Time is truly finite - once spent we never get it back. As I have aged, I have learned to appreciate the time I have and be careful with how I spend it.

Back to the topic, time spent playing GW1 means time spent not doing something else (e.g. playing GW2 or another game, eating, sleeping, relaxing, working, etc). In terms of nostalgia, I do miss playing GW1, but have found that I prefer playing GW2 (as do others who have moved on from there, hence the smaller player base). Also, ANet has limited resources - so they need to focus on what they think will the best of their time for the future of ANet.

As has been previously mentioned, GW2 has grown from GW1. I love how ANet has brought things from GW1 and incorporated them on to GW2. I hope that they do the same when they move onto GW3. Unfortunately, that will mean that the GW2 player base will decrease as players migrate to GW3.

So enjoy the nostalgia! Enjoy whatever version you happen to playing! Spend your time as you feel best!

TBH GW1 was ahead of the curve in many ways and it will always have a place in my collection.. as for remastering, nah its a lot of undertaking which at the end of it could risk both games.But that said, an update to the character movement could be interesting, maybe adding jump and dodge, but hey even that takes a lot more work than it looks at first glance, a lot more.

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I hope the OP knows that GW1 Did get a few very nice visual improvements last year.

Improved draw distance, new graphics settings, field of view controls and fixes for ultrawide displays, always use 3D models for distant objects instead of 2D textures. It looks amazing!

indeed(I encourage everyone to take a look and to come and join us with the Legend)-you will not regret it

side note---Long Live The King Of Guild Wars

'-The Best 'DEAD' MMORPG Worth PLAYING in 2018! [Guild Wars 1]-'- Obviously--Yeah!!

'Over a decade old, and still one of the most unique and engaging MMORPGs out there. In an era where most MMOs coming out feel soulless and haven't changed up the formula a lot, the Guild Wars 1 Trilogy offers a world bursting with beauty and variety, all supported by an incredible story.'

@"sereniity seven.5603" said:Please Anet listen to the fans . Listen to what the people actually like and bring back a remastered version. I totally am on the same page with the person who posted this !No, Anet, do not listen to the very small minority of players who want to re-allocate time, money and other resources to a game well past its prime instead of continuing to build content for the current iteration of the franchise. I am not even in the same bookstore as the person who posted this!

I understand the nostalgia, but no one here speaks for "the people" and what they "actually like". I'm a fan, too, but I don't want Anet going down the path that is advocated here.

@sereniity seven.5603 said:

@sereniity seven.5603 said:Please Anet listen to the fans . Listen to what the people actually like and bring back a remastered version. I totally am on the same page with the person who posted this !No, Anet, do not listen to the very small minority of players who want to re-allocate time, money and other resources to a game well past its prime instead of continuing to build content for the current iteration of the franchise. I am not even in the same bookstore as the person who posted this!

I understand the nostalgia, but no one here speaks for "the people" and what they "actually like". I'm a fan, too, but I don't want Anet going down the path that is advocated here.your really ignorant . Some people Like gw1 and some like gw2 . Your point is ?

Ok, first calling me ignorant is not a good way to bolster your argument. Also, it is quite crass. Please don't do that.

My point is that you are asking Anet to listen to "the fans" as if the only fans are those who like GW1. You do not speak for every fan of the franchise and certainly do not speak for me. I do not want them to spend any additional time or effort on GW1 because, as a fan, I enjoy GW2 and would prefer Anet to spend their resources on the current game.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@sereniity seven.5603 said:Please Anet listen to the fans . Listen to what the people actually like and bring back a remastered version. I totally am on the same page with the person who posted this !No, Anet, do not listen to the very small minority of players who want to re-allocate time, money and other resources to a game well past its prime instead of continuing to build content for the current iteration of the franchise. I am not even in the same bookstore as the person who posted this!

I understand the nostalgia, but no one here speaks for "the people" and what they "actually like". I'm a fan, too, but I don't want Anet going down the path that is advocated here.your really ignorant . Some people Like gw1 and some like gw2 . Your point is ?

Ok, first calling me ignorant is not a good way to bolster your argument. Also, it is quite crass. Please don't do that.

My point is that you are asking Anet to listen to "the fans" as if the only fans are those who like GW1. You do not speak for every fan of the franchise and certainly do not speak for me. I do not want them to spend any additional time or effort on GW1 because, as a fan, I enjoy GW2 and would prefer Anet to spend their resources on the current game.

Guild Wars 1 isn't taking any development time from GW2 at all. The devs that do work on it do it in their free time (they have mentioned this repeatedly).

I am not in favor of a remaster since GW1 is perfect as it is, but I am completely in favor of updates to GW1 wherever they can be justified because I still play GW1 far more than GW2. No joke, the recent storage and AI update they did is one of the best updates in the game's history, and they've teased even more awesome stuff to come. They said it's unlikely due to time/resource constraints (see: free time/pet project), but if they could manage the long-awaited Paragon rework (or at least some desperately-needed buffs [healing chants are so bad right now]), that would make me one happy camper.

Since they do all of this off the clock, it's nothing you should object to.

And actually, with that storage update they added more storage panes to the store and a new GW1 bundle with all campaigns and EotN for $40 (previously EotN was separate). Anet getting some cash on the side for these guys' free work should make you happy.

Bringing GW1 up to modern graphics standards would involve the same issues that GW2 has run into with regard to threading optimization. I don't foresee any remaster of GW1 while GW2 is still on a threadbound engine. As it stands, I'd rather have a downgrade option for GW2 if it meant the ability to preserve frame rates.

• 6 months later...

I agree somewhat with Illconceived Was Na.9781 on remasters tend to be tedious to live up to the expectations of those still left who remember GW1 and would want to buy it again. To any ArenaNet people reading this in the years to come, I'd like to see either a full revamp and remastered version of GW1 OR just release a GW 3 in a few years. You could easily hype a remastered GW 1 to the current GW 2 player base as possibly a placeholder in between releasing whatever comes out next if that be GW 3.

As for my thoughts on GW 3 I'd like to see some kind of new movement, more fluid like that of GW 2 but also giving it a strategic precision and satisfaction that GW 1 had. It is really hard to explain what I mean here, all I am saying is it not be the same as Gw 2's chaos like gameplay, however, as much as I love the movement of GW 1 I think in this day and age it will disappoint going into the future so some kind of hybrid going into the future with GW 3!

And make the content of GW 3 hard like GW 1!! Make prestige and the worth of Titles and skins make a comeback in GW 3! When they see you coming the be like " WOW HE HAS MANY LEATHERBOUND BOOKS"

@"Gurur.9124" said:And make the content of GW 3 hard like GW 1!! Make prestige and the worth of Titles and skins make a comeback in GW 3! When they see you coming the be like " WOW HE HAS MANY LEATHERBOUND BOOKS"Sorry to burst your bubble, but as online games get older, the people that play them get more diverse, too. "Hard" in online games is more often than not a definition of how much gametime a player has to practice, and how young he is to have appropriate reflexes and quick muscle memory. As you get older, you realize that "hard" content is often less of an achievement than a grind that just doesn't mesh with the constraints life puts on you. There's really no prestige or worth involved. There are however a lot of older gamers around by now, and they're getting more numerous every year. Cutting the game off from that growing playerbase doesn't look like a good business decision to me, especially for a franchise like GW that's been a very good fit for said group of players in its current iteration.

@minion.1987 said:don't think there has ever been a remaster mmo.

@"Burnfall.9573" said:

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:The Secret World

@"CeNedro.7560" said:RuneScape Classic(2001) -> RuneScape2(2004)

https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000318177-Remastered-FAQ

WoW Classic would also likely qualify

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Gurur.9124" said:And make the content of GW 3 hard like GW 1!! Make prestige and the worth of Titles and skins make a comeback in GW 3! When they see you coming the be like " WOW HE HAS MANY LEATHERBOUND BOOKS"Sorry to burst your bubble, but as online games get older, the people that play them get more diverse, too. "Hard" in online games is more often than not a definition of how much gametime a player has to practice, and how young he is to have appropriate reflexes and quick muscle memory. As you get older, you realize that "hard" content is often less of an achievement than a grind that just doesn't mesh with the constraints life puts on you. There's really no prestige or worth involved. There are however a lot of older gamers around by now, and they're getting more numerous every year. Cutting the game off from that growing playerbase doesn't look like a good business decision to me, especially for a franchise like GW that's been a very good fit for said group of players in its current iteration.

Exactly that. I have bought GW1 recently when the whole set was on sale. I am not 12 years old and have a fulltime job plus a few other things I need to take care of (plus GW2). GW1 is grindy as kitten. It's kind of a fun game in its own way and I'd like to play the story, but it's super slow. GW2 is really an improvement in so many ways, especially for adult players who will not spend as much time and energy on games as teenagers might.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

What I meant was like those moments you would be queing for an alliance battle and a guy put up a Phoenix rank emote against peoples Deers and everyone is like "WOW UR MY HERO MAN" And PVE had some nice Titles worth the effort to show off as well.

Or how about when Tormented weapons first came out and you saw a guy have a shield already soon after release. That kind of prestige doesn't exist in GW 2 its all just trivial stuff. Maybe I am wrong feel free to mention things in GW 2 that russle peoples jimmies. Edit: I just remembered Ghastly Grinning shields and legendary weapons but meh not the same as GW 1 prestige to me

And YES and understand people do not have time, but if you did have time and invested in a game, It be nice to work on Hard achievements

@Gurur.9124 said:

@Gurur.9124 said:And make the content of GW 3 hard like GW 1!! Make prestige and the worth of Titles and skins make a comeback in GW 3! When they see you coming the be like " WOW HE HAS MANY LEATHERBOUND BOOKS"Sorry to burst your bubble, but as online games get older, the people that play them get more diverse, too. "Hard" in online games is more often than not a definition of how much gametime a player has to practice, and how young he is to have appropriate reflexes and quick muscle memory. As you get older, you realize that "hard" content is often less of an achievement than a grind that just doesn't mesh with the constraints life puts on you. There's really no prestige or worth involved. There are however a lot of older gamers around by now, and they're getting more numerous every year. Cutting the game off from that growing playerbase doesn't look like a good business decision to me, especially for a franchise like GW that's been a very good fit for said group of players in its current iteration.

What I meant was like those moments you would be queing for an alliance battle and a guy put up a Phoenix rank emote against peoples Deers and everyone is like "WOW UR MY HERO MAN" And PVE had some nice Titles worth the effort to show off as well.I very much doubt everyone is like that. In fact I know a lot of people who couldn't care less about your pvp rank or your titles or anything. None if that is really hard, it's only time consuming.

"Prestige" is not really something that goes well with shinies in a video game. Once you've played games for a couple of decades, you realize that no title or loot or rank really means anything beyond showing a person had the time and tenacity or simply the luck to aquire it.

It's a game. Many of us are simply here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. If you are looking for prestige and reputation then you might as well look to a different medium than a video game.

@Gurur.9124 said:

@Gurur.9124 said:And make the content of GW 3 hard like GW 1!! Make prestige and the worth of Titles and skins make a comeback in GW 3! When they see you coming the be like " WOW HE HAS MANY LEATHERBOUND BOOKS"Sorry to burst your bubble, but as online games get older, the people that play them get more diverse, too. "Hard" in online games is more often than not a definition of how much gametime a player has to practice, and how young he is to have appropriate reflexes and quick muscle memory. As you get older, you realize that "hard" content is often less of an achievement than a grind that just doesn't mesh with the constraints life puts on you. There's really no prestige or worth involved. There are however a lot of older gamers around by now, and they're getting more numerous every year. Cutting the game off from that growing playerbase doesn't look like a good business decision to me, especially for a franchise like GW that's been a very good fit for said group of players in its current iteration.

What I meant was like those moments you would be queing for an alliance battle and a guy put up a Phoenix rank emote against peoples Deers and everyone is like "WOW UR MY HERO MAN" And PVE had some nice Titles worth the effort to show off as well.

Or how about when Tormented weapons first came out and you saw a guy have a shield already soon after release. That kind of prestige doesn't exist in GW 2 its all just trivial stuff. Maybe I am wrong feel free to mention things in GW 2 that russle peoples jimmies. Edit: I just remembered Ghastly Grinning shields and legendary weapons but meh not the same as GW 1 prestige to meAgain, people get older. As they get older, they start realizing that all the stuff they thought was "prestige" once, in reality isn't anything of the sort. They will see you showing off with your shinies and emotes, and all you'll get is not "WOW UR MY HERO MAN" but "Oh boy, another one of those, let's hope he won't at least cause any troubles". Because we remember when we were in the same spot as you're now, and remember exactly how much were those titles and bling worth. In the end - not so much. Even if we were as excited about them once as you seem to be now.

I'd be keen to see a game try to emulate GW1; I just wouldn't like to see GW1 do it, if that makes sense.

The actual skill design was very inspired but the gameplay was quite clunky by modern standards, and it would frankly need a new engine to launch as a competitive product these days. I'm pretty sure it could be done though.