Why do you play GW2? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why do you play GW2?

Whats the main reason you keep playing? What attracts you the most?

Why do you play GW2? 237 votes

The lore/story
15%
Crono.4197Danikat.8537Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864Ashantara.8731zealex.9410Musaroxy.2874Tyson.5160Zaraki.5784Kossage.9072Blur.3465Kiva.9012Raknar.4735Radiobiology.6185MidnightX.6294Ellecthan.8170Ben K.6238Teleoceras.1298Vivaer.8360hugo.4705Sarog.9068 36 votes
Combat/other specific mechanic
12%
Pikls.8710Rauderi.8706Curunen.8729Asum.4960Ashen.2907luizplayer.1250ZeftheWicked.3076Shard.4791Slapinator.4196mortrialus.3062Kondor.2904arielwind.8921Cylokin.2560Malafaia.8903zengara.8301SkyFallsInThunder.8257SlateSloan.3654Deadvillager.1956ButcherofMalakir.4067Eclipser.3674 29 votes
PvE(gameplay)
18%
Pifil.5193Matt H.6142Glider.5792Vlad Morbius.1759Khailyn.6248DietPepsi.4371Sciger.1679DeanBB.4268Turin.6921Susy.7529spiritualabyss.7016ShiningSquirrel.3751Ardid.7203kurfu.5623Kal Spiro.9745Nasty Nacho.5869Tyncale.1629Stalkingwolf.6035killermanjaro.5670Rizzler.8497 45 votes
PvP(gameplay)
5%
Helicity.3416Eddbopkins.2630stormygabe.6742Nath Forge Tempete.1645tiraniko.3087Neil.3825Warkind.6745Medvedovka.8523Zenix.6198KTBNshot.5084Bashi.8902SkyshaAdbinderMoonshard.7026 12 votes
Community/Guild/Friends
6%
kharmin.7683Electes.8642Undo.5091Skyrum.5483FrizzFreston.5290Phyrene.2830Sirius.4510Henry.5713Col Pain.4198ambitiouscatgeek.2430Linebreaker.7904Mat H.2859Vlad Filen.8049AgentMoore.9453zencow.3651grouchybhaal.4275 16 votes
I am not actively playing atm.
11%
Kam.4092Karmapolice.4193Devilman.1532joneirikb.7506SnowHawk.3615ProtoGunner.4953bOTEB.1573TheBravery.9615Amaranthe.3578finkle.9513Elmo Benchwarmer.3025Aeolus.3615DeceiverX.8361moutzaheadin.4029InvaGir.9158Puma.3645shinta.8906C Cspace Cowboy.5903Tasty Pudding.3764sereniity seven.5603 27 votes
Other.
30%
Cerioth.7062Rhiannon.1726Neural.1824IndigoSundown.5419SkyShroud.2865Loosmaster.8263witcher.3197Arden.7480Alatar.7364Inculpatus cedo.9234Ayrilana.1396MithranArkanere.8957Blockhead Magee.3092Ameepa.6793Astraea.6075Robban.1256Westenev.5289Silverwing.8750Shikigami.4013Vayne.8563 72 votes
<1

Comments

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Community/Guild/Friends

I'm a very casual player and with limited time do to work, family and other obligations I pretty much run around with a small group of friends on a somewhat regular basis. It's cheaper than hanging out at the local bar. ;)

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Mikali.9651Mikali.9651 Member ✭✭✭

I will just say that this is not my main MMORPG anymore. I play it here and there, today I did dungeons/fractals/wvw and some gathering of nodes, but I do not know when I will play it again. I always log in for LS and stay active for a week, all other days I just mess around when I feel like it, not going towards anything because I did all I wanted long ago.
    I am like retired, just playing here and there for good old days kind of a thing. I am mostly focused on Real Life and other hobbies. I wish I have an urge to put more hours into this game but I don't have it for years.

• PvE(gameplay)

Couldn't pick multiple answers so I went with the one I felt closest to me.

Prince of Angels - Disney Prince with a Horrifying Power

• Other.

Because other games I played were sadly overrun with bots like a beautiful NCsoft game with dark elves and to a lesser degree also a beautiful NCSoft game with winged characters. I loved both at release but instead of getting better like GW2, various aspects of both got worse until I had to look for something else.

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

Picked Combat because it's the thing that kept me the most interested the longest.

I've really liked/loved multiple aspects of this game:

• Combat
    • Open World Exploration
    • WvW
    • Community(server)/Guild/Friends
    • Very little Grind
    • No subs

On the whole there are a lot of different designs all over the game I really like/enjoy, and whenever I play other games, from singleplayer to other MMO games, I always end up missing a bunch of things that I felt GW2 got so much better. But especially the combat, it isn't perfect, but it is still one of the most fun combats I've found in an rpg'ish game.

That said:

• I am not actively playing atm.

Just burned out after 6 years of playing, on extended leave, or as someone else said above me, "I'm retired."

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    Currently playing: Planescape Torment, Divinity Original Sin 2, Zelda BotW

• PvP(gameplay)

I came back after not playing for a few months (got sucked into FFXIV for a bit) but came back solely to get one of my characters the Wings of Love glider skin. I played some PVP with him, then remembered how much I love this game. Lots of stuff came back to me, like how PERSONAL the personal story felt to me, to how original the races were, to the action based combat...I miss playing piano with ele. There's a lot more to it, but that's the general gist of it all. This was my first MMO, and it'll forever hold a special place in my little gaming heart. I know it can be better, but man...no one else has given me the experience quite like this game has.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

WvW

Body length.

• Other.

I voted other, and thats simply, I love Arena Nets work.
    is Gw2 my favorite game? No not really.
    Do I think its the best mmo? No, but there really isn't a "Best mmo" to be fair.

I just like Arena Net and the work they've done, so I play it when I feel like it.

• Other.

Almost Everything, except guilds and guild-mates 'cause I'm a sad, sad loner. XD

Combat is very fun and challenging to master to the point you can complete group events, Champion bosses, and even Dungeon runs solo if you're smart enough with it. It's fluid and attentive, instead of static and boring. It will obviously differ depending on which class you pick and your playstyle, but I always feel "in control" and ready to take on anything, even if I lose a lot. :p

In PvE, the lore and story is very enjoyable and I love listening to all of the open-world dialogue and events, along with the beautifully themed maps and slowly darkening storyline. It has its ups and downs, as no story is perfect, but every time it makes me smile to explore Tyria with a new character all over again.

PvP feels energetic and competitive with movement instead of cardboard "stand still, watch percentages change" combat. It always keeps bringing me back to see how well I pit against others, even if it can be upsetting to lose from time to time. But that just makes you want to try harder again next time, huh?

WvW can be very serene and peaceful at times with roaming from camp to camp, but keeping an eye out for other dangerous roamers. But Other times it can be very, very Intense and chaotic with big group battles over Towers, Keeps, and SMC. I have fun with both, but generally prefer the more relaxing roaming style while listening to Funk music. I think I listen to Funk while in squad fights too though since it helps alleviate that intimidation of seeing the other enemy teams following behind you and coming for blood and slaughter.

A bunch of other things that are really nice are the Trading Post (instead of direct, time-consuming Player-to-Player trading), the Crafting System and Material Storage that is neatly laid out and organized, being able to "Deposit All Materials" at any time to free up inventory space, being able to Waypoint or use a Teleporting Scroll/Portal to travel back to previously visited places instead of backtracking, the Heart "quests" that don't require accepting the quest to start it and don't require backtracking to finish it, the User Interface specifically where your Health and Skills is just below your character on the screen instead of off to the side or in the corner, all of the Music (yes!), Gliders, awesome-designed Mounts, etc. etc.

Maybe I'm just a fanatic and love this game to death, but those are my reasons for why I keep playing it. <3

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The lore/story

Many reasons besides just one but if I had to pick a main reason then it would be the lore and story.

• Other.

Guilld/PVE/Combat/Story

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

I play open world and wvw mostly and do collections.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

Because I find it to be the best MMO for casual play.

• Other.

I chose Other because I my main reason for playing varies, as well as what attracts me the most.

Generally, I log-in to complete Daily items and farm (Flax, Guild Halls, and Home Instance). After that it depends on what my time allows, and in what direction my mood takes me.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019
    The lore/story

Would have said pve gameplay due to the fact I love hidden events and stunning mechanics within jumping puzzles, but it's more lore: I definitely want more talkative npcs, books, sheet of paper on the ground... Dungeons were a great source of lore and it had been tuned down with the arrival of fractal. I expected more in cliffside or uncatagorized fractals as example.

But I try to be there when a new living story episode is released to explore the maps.

I miss old lion's arch, and core maps style.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• UNHEALTHY ADDICTION

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The lore/story

I picked the lore and story but I could also have picked PvE gameplay, the two go together for me. I just really like exploring the world, talking to the NPCs, finding all the stories scattered around the game (both the actual storyline and things like event chains or what the NPCs are up to),

The world, and especially the charr (who looked like nothing I'd seen in a game before) were what originally drew me to GW1, then finding out it was an MMO with no subscription fee convinced me.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• titje.2745titje.2745 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019
    Other.

I am just a casual player.
    1 its free
    2 feel forced to start it everyday for daily tasks (gold making)
    3 nice graphics and sound
    4 nice to play even when i am tired (just hang around and dont do much)
    5 other games are bad (i mean i have no better games at the moment)
    6 loot
    7 maybe a bit addicted (not as much as a paid mmo)

i play more when i have a goal. thats now i going make a new legendary weapon :)

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

Initially PvP, but the balance team utterly ruined it by now. I still log in a couple of times because I enjoy the combat itself, but I don't enjoy the powercreep and the state of the game in general so I always quit after 1 or 2 games because i can't bring myself to play it anymore. PvP just isn't fun anymore.

Then I log in to do the story every 2 months and that's about it. I have no hopes for the future at this point.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019
    Other.

I dunno. I feel my awnser doesn't fit any of the catagories, because a lot of options provided aren't mutually exclusive. If you said "what did you like about gw2", perhaps this poll would be easier to awnser - but I don't play this game because I like one aspect of the game above all others. I'd also like to note that just because I like the lore/story or my guild doesn't mean I won't take breaks from playing.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The lore/story

Story is main but i really enjoy the combat as well and they are the biggest reason to stick with the game for as long as i did.

Idk if im considered as someone who doesnt play it actively anymore, i mainly play for a week whenever we get new content. So every 3-4 months.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

I mostly play as completionist, working on achievements, targets, ranks and collections. This is why I start the game on a daily basis.

But in reality, I play for the entire experience:

• I would not play this as singleplayer game. I love the community and the social aspects of the game. Hanging out with just NPC's is not fun.
    • I love the scenery and I love to explore the world.
    • I like hanging out in WvW. Sometimes just casual fun, sometimes on a conquering spree.
    • Collecting nice gear, experimenting with builds and stats.
    • Character appearance, fashion wars, outfits, casual play, hanging out, helping newbies, chilling at the daily JP chest.
    • I'm not too much into story and lore with all its deep details, but it is still very important for the game and the universe. Story ultimately gives excitement and direction.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Kunzaito.8169Kunzaito.8169 Member ✭✭✭
    Other.

It satisfies my need to collect things in a way that doesn't clutter my house and drive my wife crazy. :p

• Ruufio.1496Ruufio.1496 Member ✭✭✭
    Combat/other specific mechanic

The votes for story is discouraging. It' not even that good, RuneScape has a better story and even after 10 years I still remember some of it's lore. The only "content" this game gets is every 3 months of mediocre nothing when instead we could be getting actual content (mini battles, WvW updates, minigames, GvG, Guild updates) the huge majority of devs are tasked on the story because everyone keeps buying gems but complaining about the story... yet voting for the story. I know I vote with my wallet. When I see some love for WvW then maybe that will change.

• Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭
    Other.

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! And more. Platforming, JPs, WvW, exploring, CHARRS, the dyeing feature and how it works, skins, CHARRS, alt-friendly, raids, CHARRS, awesome story, best lore and world building in any MMO franchise ever, the random funny moments, CHARSS, friends, fractals, PVP, guild hall decorating, CHARRS, voice acted characters, asura, sylvari, loathing humans, norn shapeshifts, CHARRS, soloing dungeons and other random content, achievement hunting, messing around, musical instruments, CHARRS, guild missions, festivals, all the new content and events and current events and and... CHARRS, legendaries, mounts, mount skins, no gear treadmill, no grind, CHARRS, miniatures, novelties, no sub fee, no silly maintenance times, CHARRS, really beautiful visuals and sound effects theyre superb, non-cluttered UI, lot of quality of life features we've got, enviromental weapons, pretty looking skyboxes, detailed and interesting maps, all the various bestiary, different races and their cultures and their own languages, CHARRS, breaking out of maps for fun, underwater combat is tolerable, love having weapon skins, love the skill system and combat and dodging and the physics, CHARRS, the awesome lighting, the emotes, the chairs, the smallest little things that make you smile, the easter eggs, the magic in it, the secrets, the mysteries, CHARRS, hating on activities, facing my mortal enemy chak, adventures, mount races, bounties, non-grindy dailies, guild hall building and their services, no silly raid queue system, fractals, combo fields, how the CCs and conditions and all the fancy little combat stuff works like how traits have synergy and can change the world, all the classes we have and their elite specs and racial skills are fun too, all the fun special gameplay in story, backpacks, wing skins, gliders, masteries, pocket raptors, tangled detphs, DS meta, Deimos, titles I want to get, siege weapons in WvW and... ... ... enter more things here ... ... ... charrs.

In no particular order.

• PvP(gameplay)

Even tho PvP is pretty frustrating these days ... I'm mostly wood farming right now :lol:

But still, I've got the chills pvp when some (rare) games are so intense (or close) i've got palpitations at the end :D Adrenaline addict here ... or just masochist

• Despond.2174Despond.2174 Member ✭✭✭

Many reasons but I will admit a huge factor is to run around with Eternity. I still smile after all these years.

• PvE(gameplay)

I'm a relatively new player, only been around a year or so (though I did go back and play GW1 to get all the backstory). Games appeal to me primarily based on their stories, explorable worlds and aesthetics. GW2 tends to be hit-or-miss on the story part, but knocks it out of the park as far as exploration and cool stuff to look at. The griffon is amazing; I'm working toward world completion on a second character just because I enjoy flying around the maps so much.

• All of the above, I love this game so much. Plus no monthly fees or anything like that so I'M HAPPY! <3

• PvE(gameplay)

I play for the combat mechanics, PvE, and Story, but mostly for the open world PvE exploration (Hence my pick). New maps being added, and interesting areas always pull me back to the game.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than you do making enemies.

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    1. B2p (No sub)
    2. Minimum p2w
    3. Happen to be there when I was looking for another mmo to play

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Other.

I've tried my hands at a few different MMOs, and for some reason, GW2 is the only one I've managed to stick with after the first try. It just captivates me in a way all other MMOs fail to. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about GW2, though.

• Khailyn.6248Khailyn.6248 Member ✭✭✭
    PvE(gameplay)

I started GW2 and still play it for various reasons. The graphics, the combat system that promotes moving around and looking for tells, crafting legendary items, there is always pve content to do even not instanced, no sub fee, profession variety even if i dont stick to just 1 or 2, ability to customize the appearance of my characters (more armor choices is always better), currently doing my completion for my 3rd time and glad that heart completion can be done in more ways than just combat, friendlier community than in most mmos.

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

I keep playing due to specific goals that in turn give me something to do to pass time when I need to relax.
    Legendary weapons, unlocking skins, etc.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Community/Guild/Friends

@SkyShroud.2865 said:
    1. B2p (No sub)
    2. Minimum p2w

There is no p2w in GW2.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Rhyse.8179Rhyse.8179 Member ✭✭✭
    Other.

Other - Because it's subcsription-free and there's nothing better on the market at the moment.

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

Meta events, done right (read: HoT) are what make me pick GW2 over any other MMO.
    Casual , raid-ish content, without obligation, but offering satisfying co-op gameplay and a nice drip-feed of rewards.
    Add to that alting. I grind (gold->gems) for skins and QoL until I'm happy and can just relax slowly leveling alts (ten plus now). I've never found an MMO I enjoy alting in, until GW2.

• Rico.6873Rico.6873 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019
    Other.

Griffon mount how it feels so smooth and alive, it doesn't have endless flying like other games but that's the reason it feels more alive to me!

• The lore/story

A friend invited me to play because he believed it is a good mmo and enjoyed pve and just gameplay. For some reason the personal story felt so unique for me for a mmo storyline that I started playing it like a regular story driven rpg(too bad I missed out on S1 and had to catch up on S2 on yt, sorry, I'm not paying separately for all this old content even though story is great. I got S3 though) through both expansions and living world. I enjoy pve, pvp(especially wvw), but I stayed for the world, the lore and the characters.

• Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭
    PvP(gameplay)

I feel Combat/other specific mechanic should be placed with pvp

• Calvsie.3675Calvsie.3675 Member ✭✭✭
    Other.

Vistas... I am in love with Tyria's landscapes.

“You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019
    Other.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:
    1. B2p (No sub)
    2. Minimum p2w

There is no p2w in GW2.

That is subjective and relative. You might think certain elements as not p2w just because it does not significantly impact the gameplay. However, to me, as long it technically fit the p2w criteria, then, it is a p2w element, regardless of how insignificant it impact the gameplay.

To put it into perspective, a p2w content generally be understood as "any forms of advantage made possible by spending of cash".

So, what kind of advantage? For example ascended, through pure farming or grinding (either maps, fotm, whatever), one will take a certain amount of time to obtain. Relatively, if you compare this between two newbies who started exactly at the same time, play exactly amount of hours etc with only one main difference and that is one of them use cash to purchase gems and convert it to gold to buy things off trading posts. The one with gems will be the first to obtain the ascended. Sure, such advantage may be arguably moot in pve but it can't be said so for wvw.

There are also lot of other advantages. I am sure people who play the game long enough would have seen thread complaining about harvesting item in gem store a p2w item. People complain that because it fall into that definition, technically, regardless of how insignificant it impact the game.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Other.

I pretty much got time to burn. And I like this world made by anet. Good time waster, get some laughs out of it every time I get killed. Love the animations and boss fights... Really is great.

• Other.

I'm new to the game(highest lvl is 44) so I haven't experienced all the game has to offer just yet, but there are three big reasons I'm playing right now:
    1. PvP. I have some pretty mixed feelings about GW2's combat system, but I've grown to accept it after a while. Won't get into that here. Anyways, at first PvP was too fast and chaotic, but after a couple games things got better and the game became more fun (except for vs mesmers, things are still a bit too much for me). I usually don't care about PvE a lot, so this is important.
    2. Story. I've never come across this particular form of storytelling before in an MMO(that is, choices that are actually relevant and particularly distinct).
    3. It's free. I enjoy GW2 and would play it regardless but if I had more money to spend, I'd be using at least some of my time with FFXIV. The game is great and it's PvE actually fun, a rarity for me.

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Other.

PvE, PvP, WvW.

PvE - Fractals, legendary crafting, Fashion Wars, exploration and story
    PvP - Tournaments
    WvW - I have a lot of fun playing WvW, it doesnt deserve so much hate, it's amazing and I feel rewarded, but would be nicer if pips and rewards would be given every 2-3 mins rather than 5. It's a bit too much and its not newbies friendly that start from 0. So thats my only complaint about WvW so far, but I really enjoy that.

Other than that I love GW2's music and thats the main reason I play PvE and story, because music connects me to environment. I really like Season 4's music so far.

Seek, and you shall find.

• Other.

Because i started at gw1 around 10 years ago and i dont go out much when its winter

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.