Is Sharur worth the "Legendary Weapon" title?

Imo, majority of the 2nd gen legendary weaps are not worth the title.Astralaria, Nevermore and HOPE are because it seems like more thought went into them, as for others, they're either a joke and meh or if they're more serious they lack what makes legendary - legendary.It's just weird that they'd make 2nd gen not tradable (which I support) but, you'd imagine they'd make it look more legendary since it costs more and you had to make it (while there are people who just buy 1st gen ones and it devalues it for us who actually made every single 1st gen legendary we have). They downgraded them in every way, less flash, shorter footfalls, etc.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:Imo, majority of the 2nd gen legendary weaps are not worth the title.Astralaria,

Too big for my taste, unfortunately.

Nevermore

Love that staff. <3

and HOPE

Eww, for real? :s Who wants to run around with a mix of a steam punk pistol and a sci-fi blaster in a fantasy setting like GW? I don't. :/

you'd imagine they'd make it look more legendary since it costs more and you had to make it (while there are people who just buy 1st gen ones and it devalues it for us who actually made every single 1st gen legendary we have). They downgraded them in every way, less flash, shorter footfalls, etc.

What downgraded them is the majority of ugly designs, not the decrease in overly flashy effects.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

and HOPE

Eww, for real? :s Who wants to run around with a mix of a steam punk pistol and a sci-fi blaster in a
fantasy
setting like GW?
I
don't. :/

Well I don't like HOPE either but it does fit what people would consider legendary, flashy and loud.I myself prefer something like Astralaria, to me it's not big, has trail but isn't flashy like Moot or anything similar to it.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Eww, for real? :s Who wants to run around with a mix of a steam punk pistol and a sci-fi blaster in a fantasy setting like GW? I don't. :/

Then we should erase Rata Sum and the Citadel as well. They do not stick to the fantasy setting either. GW2 has gunpodwer, industries, tanks, steam creatures, airships, robots (golems), holograms, VR (SAB) etc. It is not a pure fantasy setting. Sci-Fi and Steam punk is quite a big part of the aesthetics. HOPE sticks very well.

@"DonArkanio.6419" said:There is a category of weapons they made and called it legendary and my question is - Does Sharur fill in the standards of the other legendaries?

Again, that's not answerable in the context you have put it. Objectively, it has plenty of the features that set legendaries apart. But plenty of people think some gemshop weapons are "more legendary" than legendary weapons, and plenty do not. It's still not an "objective" question, because reasonable people are going to disagree.

My impression at this point is that the OP is looking for validation of their opinion. The thing is, all that is needed for that is to make a cogent statement about what they think is underwhelming.

If one is really interested in an objective view, then the thread would start off by trying to establish a consensus for the criteria we'd use to determine how legendary a weapon is (or isn't). Then that criteria would be applied to all the legendaries (not just the ones the OP finds lacking), as well as all the gem shop skins, plus a few candidates from other sources that people seem to consider to have "legendary-like qualities." And, of course, that still wouldn't be 100% objective, any more than any artistic rating schema is, but it would at least be an objective approach to comparing features.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:Imo, majority of the 2nd gen legendary weaps are not worth the title.Astralaria,

Too big for my taste, unfortunately.

Nevermore

Love that staff. <3

and HOPE

Eww, for real? :s Who wants to run around with a mix of a steam punk pistol and a sci-fi blaster in a
fantasy
setting like GW?
I
don't. :/

you'd imagine they'd make it look more legendary since it costs more and you had to make it (while there are people who just buy 1st gen ones and it devalues it for us who actually made every single 1st gen legendary we have). They downgraded them in every way, less flash, shorter footfalls, etc.

What downgraded them is the majority of ugly designs, not the decrease in overly flashy effects.

I actually like the sci fi aesthetic personally. Sci fantasy is great, I'd even be happy if we went full spelljammer with Asura mist travel space ships or something. Part of why Asura are my favorite faction.

I just wish the footfalls were visible for longer on many of them. I /own/ Astralaria yet they vanish so quickly you never get a chance to see the universe in them. What a waste of a lovely lovely footfall. And many others last maybe 1 second while my bolt last for-ev-er. Kudzu even longer than that yet Bifrost is gone within three footsteps. Shining Blade has long-lasting ones yet Chuka's nifty clawmarks? Does anyone even notice them for how quickly they fade? You can tell that a lot of effort went into these; it's a shame they can't be appreciated.

As for different opinions, we have a guildie who /adores/ Shooshadoo(sp?) yet I would nevereverever make that monstrosity. It's huge, silly, horrible(who on earth would block physical/magical blows with a CHILD?!) but he just laughs, says the little quaggan is magically protected and wears it on everything he can. So there you go! I know also some folks wish all the footfalls were short or nonexistent, but I adore them!

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:I actually like the sci fi aesthetic personally. Sci fantasy is great, I'd even be happy if we went full spelljammer with Asura mist travel space ships or something. Part of why Asura are my favorite faction.

I don't mind Spelljammer, but that should be a setting of its own and has no place in GW2. It is not what Tyria is about, and the fact that designs in GW2 are so inconsistent that - for me - Tyria has lost a huge chunk of its identity due to awkward design decisions makes me sad. It's why many players still rave about GW1 - because it had an identity to it, and people miss that.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:I actually like the sci fi aesthetic personally. Sci fantasy is great, I'd even be happy if we went full spelljammer with Asura mist travel space ships or something. Part of why Asura are my favorite faction.

I don't mind Spelljammer, but that should be a setting of its own and has no place in GW2. It is not what Tyria is about, and the fact that designs in GW2 are so inconsistent that - for me - Tyria has lost a huge chunk of its identity due to awkward design decisions makes me sad. It's why many players still rave about GW1 - because it had an identity to it, and people miss that.

Totally agree, altho gw1 wasn’t totally without the silliness, it was more low key and in exception than the rule. GW2 sold out its identity a long time ago.

All of which I could live with if it didn’t contribute to the obscene visual noise experience gw2 is plagued with

The only legendaries I am missing are the Dreamer,The Moot, the cake torch and all underwater legendaries because I don't want them. The Sharur is the most recent legendary that I made a few months ago- and it's subtle. You don't notice it much compared to the juggernaut.but I like it for what it is. I never get to see it because I'm always asked to be on a firebrand in WvW.Also, you forgot revenant using hammer. Not just guard/engi/war.

It's personal taste.on a side note: The claw of the Khan-Ur is the biggest legendary disappointment to date for sure.

@SnowHawk.3615 said:The only legendaries I am missing are the Dreamer,The Moot, the cake torch and all underwater legendaries because I don't want them. The Sharur is the most recent legendary that I made a few months ago- and it's subtle. You don't notice it much compared to the juggernaut.but I like it for what it is. I never get to see it because I'm always asked to be on a firebrand in WvW.Also, you forgot revenant using hammer. Not just guard/engi/war.

It's personal taste.on a side note: The claw of the Khan-Ur is the biggest legendary disappointment to date for sure.

Hey, I actually mentioned Revenant several times when talking about the effects :)Well, in my opinion Sharur and Claw of the Khan-Ur share the same problem. The legendaries that could be so much more just look empty, even though they are very polished. I like both of them but Claw of the Khan-Ur gives you the momentun of unsheathing the weapon.When you use it - you see the Charr and his kids meant to be the imperators of legions. Footsteps are very Charr-like and the thick orange mist fits perfectly to the theme.Obviously it could use more love and I don't think the weapon itself is perfect.My problem with Sharur is that it has the potential because Orr is a huge part of the core game and the legendary that's made to represent both its corruption and cleansing - doesn't remind me of it like other weapons (not all) do with their theme. The weapon looks great but I thinkw that there's too little Zhaitan and too little Orr in it.

Something else which adds to Sharur's rarity is that hammers are not used much apart from niche builds. I love it actually, but it has to wait whilst i finish Xuiquatl and Ipos first (even if Xiuquatl has very disappointing projectiles). Juggernaut is too messy imo, and rev is the only char i'd consider using a hammer on apart from niche raid guardian build.

No, I don't think any of the legendary weapons deserve the title "legendary" as non of them do anything special to earn it. The only legendary weapon that actually deserves the title is Sohothin in the last mission of PoF. Now I don't think that the actual legendaries should to be as strong as that weapon but they should at least come with their own unique set of weapon skills and not be class restricted, in that regard the conjure skill weapons from the elementalist are more fitting for the title than the actual legendaries.

There is no legendary weapon worth the 'legendary' title.Top tier equipment has to offer something, even a tiny bit better then all the other weapons in game.A bit of damage, additional stat ,mini stun, something.Legendary weapons in GW2 are a joke for the efforts and price. A pure joke.

I disagree with you Phs.Legendary equipment will always be top-tier, should anet introduce another tier above ascended.Stat-swapping is incredibly useful for moving equippable items between chars/builds and no, stat-swapping asc gear is not convenient. It's great that i don't have to lug around inventory-clogging variations of asc gear for different purposes once i have the equivalent legendary item. Now that we also have rune/sigil-swapping, it's even better.Finally, there is fashion wars in gw2 and for some people, having that aura/footfall/projectile/draw animation/sound effect is very appealing.

• 1 year later...

My suggestions:

give Sharur the aura that stays on player after the initial burstgive Sharur subtle on-swing effect (for the melee users)

Agree with the OP. For the cost and pain of crafting this legendary, it's just missing a little something... i think the teal aura should persist or create a weapon trail when swung or thrown, and maybe change colour at night.

• 1 year later...

I decided to craft this one and I must say I’m satisfied. The gen1 may have the metallic effect which is cooler, but it is also kind of binding and limiting the look vibes to establish. The gen 3 is cool as well of course but I prefer other gen3 weapon to have.

And Sharur - it has nice colour, it changes depending on day/night and has nice design imho. It’s not groundbreaking but I like it, it looks quite light and sleek as opposed to other high end hammers. I kind of like this rare vibe as well, literally no one has it.

I agree though a slight teal aura quip-style would be welcome.

Edited by Mik.3401