Will 3rd Expansion happen at all?

yefluke.3168

to be honest gw2 is the only newish mmorpg that has currently showed it's long-term viability. Black desert online and Elder Scrolls Online are probably the only other new mmo's that have seen decent success. Bdo will probably remain popular for a bit but it lacks a lot of end game besides gear grinding, but there are no raids and the pvp suffers from heavy lag and extreme imbalance according to people who talk about it online. I play it but it's long-term success hasn't been determined yet especially with how it's pearl shop works. ESO I don't know much about except it had a rocky start and is doing better. The guild wars team would be foolish not to make another expansion based on the success of their past expansions. The only thing I think they need to improve upon is the frequency and quality of balance updates. Sometimes it seems like the balance team doesn't have any actual experience playing all the classes so their limited view sometimes means they don't help improve some glaring issues that actual players see, like Revenant being very clunky and hard to make builds for. Other than that, the balance is better than most mmo's I've played, oh and I'll add that they should improve pvp a bit, that's a big thing that keeps people playing and as a business you want to retain current customers.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW is quite a rare example, only matched by Lineage, IMO. It bases its life on a very unique phenomena of being kind of the first and kind of the biggest by an enormous marging, and on heavily imprinting its seal on its old customers, over any reasonable limit, similar to how Cocacola or Apple have done it. WoW is closer to a Soccer team than to a videogame, from a marketing perspective: the game can turn absolute crap and people will still support it out of fanaticism.

I don't think GW2 falls under such scheme. IMO the game have still quite a long life to go though... but eventually Anet will have to move. Is not going to transform into a monolithic meta-game cultural entity like WoW. GW(n) is a good game which need to keep being a good game. This involves changing and leaving things behind to add new ones. (Yes, mi comment implies WoW is a bad game for today standards).

There IS going to be GW3. Not soon, but it is going to happen.

@Bridget Morrigan.1752 said:Until they start diversifying by releasing new games, AND making money off these new games on a regular basis, GW2 will continue to get new expansions. A GW3 would just be delaying the same situation they're in now, and losing money in the meantime. They can't just stop making money.

Well, technically they can but that's not the plan of course. However, I'm sure NcSoft will not want to keep investing in a game that doesn't garner enough revenue. What none of us know is what enough is. The game has been going down in revenue over the years and gets some spikes up from the expansions. I suppose two things are needed. The expansions need to sell enough to pay back the investment and it needs to stabilize or slow down the decline enough to the next expansion.

I haven't played for a while but I think that when I read about the changes in the cash shop (2000 gem mounts and RNG rewards), it's clear to me that these are signs of a game that needs extra revenue.

It all comes down to simple numbers in the end. Whether or not PoF and the gem shop changes have the desired effect remains to be seen. So far it hasn't proven that yet with the current financial report, but the next one or two will tell us that. So if things work out, then we'll see Q1 still at 30k+ in their graphs and the drop won't come till Q2 and not as low as it was before PoF. Then you could say their changes are successful. Of course Anet seems to be wanting to do more to reinforce the game's position. I think that's a good thing. It's just hard to see sometimes whether some things happen out of desperation to save the game for the long term or simply a step in the business plan to make more money out of a stabilized position.

Anet already know what's going on this year so far, we don't. So it could be they're doing well or it could be that they're trying everything they can to avert an early drop off in revenue. I certainly don't know. What I do know is that it's too early to tell either way. And if they come with some sort of referral or incentive programme and you like this game, it's probably wise to make the most out of that.

mmos are a bit down cause alot players move to fast action games cause these can be promoted easier on twitch , youtube, etc. the reason why pubg is so successful is that allows for fast login and action. no need to grind levels, gear and exploration of waypoints, maps etc to play certain content. just login and go with friends from the start no matter who plays how long all have the same chance each round.

i still think that expansions for gw2 will be done cause even if players get lost nowadays anets bread is to keep the regulars going by releasing content.

im sure alternative game modes will attract more people. battle royale, king of the hill. these are trendy.

• 1 year later...

@yefluke.3168 said:well,,, at this rate i think the possibility of getting new expac is only 30%Holy necro dude... lol.

It really depends on which way it goes. It's possible that the remaining staff will not be enough to bring out any more expansions, however, as the studio was 300 before and it seems that the studio hasn't been focused as much on GW2 recently, there is a real possibility that the chance of getting another expansion has actually increased now. I could see both sides but as more information comes to the surface I'm actually now favoring the latter.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@yefluke.3168 said:well,,, at this rate i think the possibility of getting new expac is only 30%Holy necro dude... lol.

It really depends on which way it goes. It's possible that the remaining staff will not be enough to bring out any more expansions, however, as the studio was 300 before and it seems that the studio hasn't been focused as much on GW2 recently, there is a real possibility that the chance of getting another expansion has actually increased now. I could see both sides but as more information comes to the surface I'm actually now favoring the latter.

I still have faith in Anet, I hope they solve this bad situation soon (and wisely)Still... 4 more dragons to beat!!!

@yefluke.3168 said:

I still have faith in Anet, I hope they solve this bad situation soon (and wisely)Still... 4 more dragons to beat!!!

Ugh, I'm so done with those dragons... this is Guild Wars, not Dragon Wars. They are the most overused creature in fantasy games and I wish they'd go onto something else now. I really hope that Kralkatorrik is the last one we have to deal with and that the others get the picture and Aurene can leave with them to the Dragon Dimension or something.

Before layoffs, there was 0 hope for new expac. We didnt know that, but its clear now that they had 0 plans for it.However now, with the other 2 projects "dead" and ANet with full focus back on gw2 i belive its 100% they will make another expac. I think we can expect it in first half of 2020.I only see them not doing an expac is, if we start getting LS updates every 2 months (with other proper updates in between) which is probably unlikely.
I realy do wonder though, how many people were actualy working on gw2 since PoF ? 150 ? maybe less ? most likely ? idk. Now we should have double the amount of devs (if not more) working on gw2, so i see a bright future ahead.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Ugh, I'm so done with those dragons... this is Guild Wars, not Dragon Wars. They are the most overused creature in fantasy games and I wish they'd go onto something else now. I really hope that Kralkatorrik is the last one we have to deal with and that the others get the picture and Aurene can leave with them to the Dragon Dimension or something.

The number is so powerful in the our intuitive. olympus 12, elite 4 ... at least they are really got me and attention.I kind of like 6 dragons as a collection of villain. At least we can know the possible 'range' of the story.

@yefluke.3168 said:

The number is so powerful in the our intuitive. olympus 12, elite 4 ... at least they are really got me and attention.The numbers didn't even phase me. To me it's more like...oh another Dragon. Oh and another... and guess what another Dragon. It's kinda like this
I kind of like 6 dragons as a collection of villain. At least we can know the possible 'range' of the story.Three is a powerful number, so is 5...why not go for 10 or 12? 100 sounds like a powerful number. I'd rather have a good story than one of predictable length to be honest.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

The number is so powerful in the our intuitive. olympus 12, elite 4 ... at least they are really got me and attention.The numbers didn't even phase me. To me it's more like...oh another Dragon. Oh and another... and guess what another Dragon. It's kinda like this
I kind of like 6 dragons as a collection of villain. At least we can know the possible 'range' of the story.Three is a powerful number, so is 5...why not go for 10 or 12? 100 sounds like a powerful number. I'd rather have a good story than one of predictable length to be honest.

i think the issue isn't really that they're all dragons but more that anet hasn't distinguished the dragons well outside of powers.

I absolutely believe there will be more expansions for Guild Wars 2, it really is there money maker & provides a healthy dose of cash flow into the company at every new release. There is quite a few different directions they could go in for the main storyline, I'd actually love to see a real twist like one of the elder dragons actually allying with tyria, the whole of tyria and an elder dragon on one side vs another + its minions, would make for a truly epic battle. (Imagine a land, sea & air army with an elder dragon at there side vs the other dragon). The remaining human gods could even make an re-appearance during all of this spear heading the battles on maps to help repel any invaders into mother Tyria. <<Some truly epic moments there (if they wanted to go that direction of course). Just ideas... but ultimately up to ANET where they want to go with the storyline + expansions.

ArenaNet will have to, and most likely an expansion has been in the making for quite some time. Now would be a good time to actually announce it to give some direction to the long term future, beyond the next Living World releases.

Expansions are important because this is what makes players return to the game, it gives good publicity and most importantly: Brings in a new stream of revenue. Not only via the expansion sales but also via the additional gem sales. I think an expansion announcement would be good for ArenaNet and for the GW2 community to get over this. It will give some much-needed direction.

I cant see them not making one, unless they want to slowly head towards maintenance. Anet makes their money when they release a new expansions. Its a sure sell and they have the possibility to fill it with all kinds of new stuff players might want to pay for, mount-skins and the like. New elite specs with a NEW weapon each. And by new weapon i mean like not-in-the-game-atm new. Crossbow, flail, whatever. Thats new skins for gemstore right there - and new legendaries.

Although i find LS quite nice, it doesnt make any money for Anet and it might be the reason NCSoft reacted. NCSoft wanted an expansion. Anet went with LS.Anyways, i usually come of as harsh against Anet, but in the end, i think we all wish the best for the company. I hope they can turn things around atleast for a couple of years more :)

@"Gehenna.3625" said:

Ugh, I'm so done with those dragons... this is Guild Wars, not Dragon Wars. They are the most overused creature in fantasy games and I wish they'd go onto something else now. I really hope that Kralkatorrik is the last one we have to deal with and that the others get the picture and Aurene can leave with them to the Dragon Dimension or something. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/post/quote/27593/Comment_842260

This, so much. Now, Disclaimer: I haven't played LS4 myself yet, because PoF is such a drag to get through, I only got the important plot points spoilered at my request. But I feel like they've actually written themselves in a corner with trying to pull the plot twist of "Surprise! Killing the dragons was literally Breaking The Universe [tm]" while still clinging to that "each expansion fights a different dragon" formula. I honestly wish they'd just have gone with a different story, hell, even different NPCs to accompany us, instead of that spectacle creep we got. And YMMV but I can do without that grimdark "Oh no I'm such a horrible commander and everything I do makes it worse"-attitude that our character displays. Might be just me but I found it more annoying than adding any sort of emotional depth.

Would love to see an expansion that gives us something completely different this time, maybe news about Malyck and a possible second Pale Tree? Charr homelands? Anything that doesn't require us to meet Queen Jennah?

@Discarnate.6537 said:

@"Gehenna.3625" said:

This, so much. Now, Disclaimer: I haven't played LS4 myself yet, because PoF is such a drag to get through, I only got the important plot points spoilered at my request. But I feel like they've actually written themselves in a corner with trying to pull the plot twist of "Surprise! Killing the dragons was literally Breaking The Universe [tm]" while still clinging to that "each expansion fights a different dragon" formula. I honestly wish they'd just have gone with a different story, hell, even different NPCs to accompany us, instead of that spectacle creep we got. And YMMV but I can do without that grimdark "Oh no I'm such a horrible commander and everything I do makes it worse"-attitude that our character displays. Might be just me but I found it more annoying than adding any sort of emotional depth.

Would love to see an expansion that gives us something completely different this time, maybe news about Malyck and a possible second Pale Tree? Charr homelands? Anything that doesn't require us to meet Queen Jennah?

grimdark