Will 3rd Expansion happen at all?

yefluke.3168

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had no guarantee that there was going to be a third expansion at the beginning of the year. We still don't after last weeks news. So we are in the same spot we were in before this and yet we play on. So why stop now?

And yes, I think there still will be, and still think we will have information on it mid/late next living world season. But that justs something I believe in based on the fact that they still have a reasonable player base and the fact that businesses are in the business of making money and as we have seen from their financial documents expansions bring in funding. Good gaming!

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:We had no guarantee that there was going to be a third expansion at the beginning of the year. We still don't after last weeks news. So we are in the same spot we were in before this and yet we play on. So why stop now?The lack of any expac info was already worrying even before layoffs. Now, it's even more worrying - notice, that all the reassurances speak of only LS and recurring holidays. At the point where mere mention that an expac is being worked on (even if it's far from completion) would have been heavily reassuring, it is not being mentioned. So, the "lack of guarantee expac is being worked on" has just transformed into "near certainty it isn't being worked on".I mean, people were already really worrying about the possibility we won't get it this year. And even if the layoffs end up in refocusing all the effort into GW2 again, and they will start working on expac right now, i doubt it would be ready before 2021. I'm not so sure LS alone will keep players engaged for another 2 years.

Remember, they tried this no-expac approach before. It didn't work out.

@hugo.4705 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:I was hoping for at least 5 expac in the gw2 life cycle. One that defines each race. Zaithan/human, mordremoth/sylavari, kralkatorric/charr?, jormag/norn and primordus/asura. As far as bubble go idk what to do with that one

maybe Sbubbles/Largos or Sbubbles/Quaggans -> those things are everywhere around tyria.

Yeah i was thinking the same but feel if they do that both should be playable races.

I just hope that Anet will communicate better with us now and inform us if there is an expansion in the works. We need Cantha! Hopefully we’ll get some updates on the future of the game in the next few weeks, even if it’s not about an expansion. We just at least need to hear about something, anything!

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Guild Wars 2 is Arenanet's only game (except GW1 which is in maintenance mode). Which means they can't simply drop it and focus on other games like a big studio can. Of course they could make a new game, or a few new games, but they'd have to start over completely from scratch and they'd lose a lot of customer faith and good will in the process - they'd be risking the future of the entire studio and everyone's jobs. That's not something you do because the rumour mill says other subgenres are now more profitable.

I personally believe they'll be producing GW2 expansions for a very long time but what you say they
couldn't
do is pretty much exactly what they
did
for GW2: they dropped development of GW1 in 2007 and focused on developing GW2 for the next 5 years.

That's a bit different though. I'm talking about traditional studios where they have different teams working on different games all at the same time.

For example if the new Wolfenstein game didn't do as well as expected Bethesda could choose to delay making a sequel and/or make less DLC for it and focus on the next Elder Scrolls game instead, because they already have that franchise established and are almost certainly already working on the next game. Anet can't do that because they don't have any other games to focus on. They'd have to design, build market and release a brand new one completely from scratch, which is much more expensive and more of a risk because there isn't an existing fanbase for the finished product.

As I said they
could
do it, but I don't think they would want to without a very good reason.

I would like to think there was already something in the pipeline for an expansion later next year, but in light of recent events maybe that plan has gone awry, so who knows.. lets hope its a yes because GW2 will need something if ANET wants to ensure a decent enough ongoing return from the game.TBH I wouldn't be surprised if that is what some of the cancelled projects were about.. it makes perfect sense for a Studio with one mainstay live product that has likely reached it's peak considering its age. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear ANET and NC Soft had planned these kind projects some time ago, but maybe economic changes caught up with them and decisions made. Who knows maybe there was a new GW related offering already on the horizon until late, as you say it would bring benefits both in the development cost and the likely interest leading up to a release and beyond again.... Time will tell.

Anything said in this thread will obviously be a guesswork. However I think that now expansion is a lot more likely. NCSoft is interested in revenue, which is a lot higher from expansions vs living world. If anything the fact that ANet did not plan on releasing 3rd expansion for GW2 in 2019 is what could have partly contributed to the layoffs.

@Balsa.3951 said:

@Arzurag.7506 said:What if we get GW3 instead ? Would be kinda funny when they release a trailer that is the announcement for GW3 in disguise.^^

Hmmm just fired 100 devs because they worked on other non published projects beside gw2 let’s start another non published project besides gw2 .... smart move I’m sure they will do that

Well, no reason to be sarcastic tho and besides, I didn´t have any knowledge about the lay-offs, when I made that comment.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Guild Wars 2 is Arenanet's only game (except GW1 which is in maintenance mode). Which means they can't simply drop it and focus on other games like a big studio can. Of course they could make a new game, or a few new games, but they'd have to start over completely from scratch and they'd lose a lot of customer faith and good will in the process - they'd be risking the future of the entire studio and everyone's jobs. That's not something you do because the rumour mill says other subgenres are now more profitable.

I personally believe they'll be producing GW2 expansions for a very long time but what you say they
couldn't
did
for GW2: they dropped development of GW1 in 2007 and focused on developing GW2 for the next 5 years.

That's a bit different though. I'm talking about traditional studios where they have different teams working on different games all at the same time.

For example if the new Wolfenstein game didn't do as well as expected Bethesda could choose to delay making a sequel and/or make less DLC for it and focus on the next Elder Scrolls game instead, because they already have that franchise established and are almost certainly already working on the next game. Anet can't do that because they don't have any other games to focus on. They'd have to design, build market and release a brand new one completely from scratch, which is much more expensive and more of a risk because there isn't an existing fanbase for the finished product.

As I said they
could

I would like to think there was already something in the pipeline for an expansion later next year, but in light of recent events maybe that plan has gone awry, so who knows.. lets hope its a yes because GW2 will need something if ANET wants to ensure a decent enough ongoing return from the game.TBH I wouldn't be surprised if that is what some of the cancelled projects were about.. it makes perfect sense for a Studio with one mainstay live product that has likely reached it's peak considering its age. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear ANET and NC Soft had planned these kind projects some time ago, but maybe economic changes caught up with them and decisions made. Who knows maybe there was a new GW related offering already on the horizon until late, as you say it would bring benefits both in the development cost and the likely interest leading up to a release and beyond again.... Time will tell.

Or best case, that expansion was changed from being an all at once expansion to an expansion divided up among multiple living story episodes. Without knowing the features they planned to implement next season that’s a pretty wild theory though. Though if it were the case, maybe they viewed that as a way of creating a more steady revenue model and a way to increase profits from living story without having to rely on expansion sales spikes. This potentially given them a more reliable revenue to devote to content faster. Though the emphasis on these other projects implies otherwise and that they really just wanted to milk our guild wars 2 in favor of these other projects.

IMO GW2 needs an expansion now (or at least the confirmation that its gonna get one after the LS5) more than ever.

Also i don't know about you guys but imo its not necessary to bring some special feature like the mounts or gliding (those were really cool though) - id be happy to get few maps with content on them, a nice story (maybe Malyck and the other Tree?) and maybe a few Dungeons? (NO, not raids and NO, not 2 more fractals or so) - dungeons. And the Elite specializations ofc ... Although i would love to go to Cantha, but im okay with another part of Tyria.And what i would also love to see, would be some love for PVP and WvW - Something like Hero's Ascent for PvP? - im not a pvp-er in gw2 but i loved HA in gw1 ^^A 3rd map for WvW - with new mechanics and stuff... so we have 3 different borderlands.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

couldn't
did

As I said they
could

Or best case, that expansion was changed from being an all at once expansion to an expansion divided up among multiple living story episodes. Without knowing the features they planned to implement next season that’s a pretty wild theory though. Though if it were the case, maybe they viewed that as a way of creating a more steady revenue model and a way to increase profits from living story without having to rely on expansion sales spikes. This potentially given them a more reliable revenue to devote to content faster. Though the emphasis on these other projects implies otherwise and that they really just wanted to milk our guild wars 2 in favor of these other projects.

Our Guild Wars2.. hmmmMilking us.. seems a little strong. I will agree there seems to of been a notable increase in the steer to monetise and slow progression, to me at least, and I have not been shy in voicing that thought this past 6+ months. Then again knowing what we do now with regards to the cancellation of unannounced projects, I can maybe understand why that would be necessary and perfectly plausible for any business.. we tend to forget this is a business not just a charitable organisation happy to fund our enjoyment on a dime.The notion ANET somehow favoured new projects over old products also seems a little over the top , especially in light of the recent post by Mathew Medina. ANET would not simply throw caution to the wind and push their only revenue source to the side. At some point the business and I mean the business as a whole not just ANET would of identified the need to explore other options in order to ensure a viable revenue into the business for the future while their flagship product was still performing and profitable. That to me is a positive move by management and keeping R & D costs down by utilising skills and experience already embedded within ANET is a prudent decision imo.The idea that reassignment of internal resource somehow cased neglect of their flagship product to me sounds way off.. it maybe shows the faith ANET has in its teams as a whole that they felt comfortable in passing those responsibilities on to others.. and the fact that GW2 is still performing, still profitable and still being enjoyed by a wide range of players across the globe maybe says ANET were/are correct .The layoffs are a hard pill for sure, and change is inevitable, but for some players to come pointing fingers saying GW2 has been neglected and the grim reaper is wafting through the building just disrespects the incredible talent still employed who have been / will be tasked with picking up the flag and pushing onwards.

I for one hold out to hoping we are all going to be singing their praises this time next year.. that is unless SAB Trib mode and Clocktower force me to break another keyboard and mouse!! - Yes Josh, you have a lot to answer for :)

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

couldn't
did

As I said they
could

Bear in mind that was written just over a year ago (this topic was bumped up about 1/2 way down the first page), we know a lot more about the situation now than we did then. It seems Anet were working on something other than the GW2 releases we've been told about, but we might never find out what that was, whether it was a GW2 expansion or another Guild Wars game or something else entirely. But it also sounds like none of that is going to be finished or released, at least not for a long time.

@Danikat.8537 said:

couldn't
did

As I said they
could

Bear in mind that was written just over a year ago (this topic was bumped up about 1/2 way down the first page), we know a lot more about the situation now than we did then. It seems Anet were working on something other than the GW2 releases we've been told about, but we might never find out what that was, whether it was a GW2 expansion or another Guild Wars game or something else entirely. But it also sounds like none of that is going to be finished or released, at least not for a long time.

Oh absolutely.. but perhaps things were learned from those cancelled projects.. which we won't get to know about, at least not in their original format maybe.... that is the beauty of R&D.As to whether a 3rd Expac was/is in the pipeline I guess we will find at some time in the future (not to far in the future I hope), but I agree with something @Astralporing.1957 said above and reading Mike Z's post - there seems to be a notable absence of anything even perhaps to hint of one being planned, which doesn't sit well we me if I am honest because if there isn't anything planned as yet or its been shelved then it does beg the question what's next longer term after LS5.

@"yefluke.3168" said:Wondering if releasing the expac3 in late 2020 is still can save the game.I mean, Business nowadays is changing very fast. People have a lot more choices and get bored very easily.

I don't think the game is in much risk of not being "saved", assuming NCSoft doesn't knee-jerk shut the whole thing down.

Being realistic, the MMO industry as we know it is changing drastically. MMOs like GW2 are out going out of style, which means the ones we have now are probably some of the last we'll see for a while. New MMOs are taking the form of action oriented microtransaction based games from Korea like Black Desert, fps/third person games like Anthem or Destiny, or more console friendly versions like Sea of Thieves. There hasn't been a successful GW2/Final Fantasy XIV/World of Warcraft in a number of years, and I don't think there are many in the works at the moment. There are a few, but their hype trains are much smaller these days than in days past.

This means there won't be a lot of choices, truth be told. GW2 is one of the last games of its kind we'll get to play, and when it's gone it will be gone. A lot of folks will continue to come back for that reason alone, not including the fans who honestly enjoy the game and just want to keep playing.

As long as there are still some people who older style MMOs, this game will keep trucking. It's only when that interest dies out that we'll probably start to need to worry about GW2.