Update From the Guild Wars 2 Team

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"alteriel valie.4751" said:An update from wp

In the video, around 11:00 is a list with the positions targeted by the restructuring. In the list I saw the position of Game Director.Which Game Director was? Taking into account that few months ago another Game Director left ANet, how many more Game Directors are now on Anet? Are they related with GW2?

@Klypto.1703 said:Those balance changes posted do not reflect a healthy status of the game still feels like maintenance mode is coming.

Actually he scrapper changes were really goodThe mesmer changes showed that people were actually still actively looking at things

The rest were kinda meh so so ok changes

I dont think its safe to say nothing bad can be judged by those notes.That said the choices for most of those notes were probably figured out long before anet knew this was coming.

@Klypto.1703 said:Those balance changes posted do not reflect a healthy status of the game still feels like maintenance mode is coming.

This doesn't even make sense, get that attitude out of here.

So you're saying because there are a few balance issues the game isn't healthy? BS and you know it. They even address a couple long standing issues and are still working on getting the slightly weaker classes to perform better. Support Tempest is really damn good at this point for what it does.

Thanks for the update. I think you guys will come out of this with renewed energy, which I'm looking forward to seeing.

I must say, though, especially now with Gaile gone, we really need better communication from Anet developers & designers. This has never changed from day one, and now is the time.

• A roadmap, as others have said, and confirmation that an expansion is being worked on. It would blow my mind if there isn't one.
  • More willingness to engage with players before, during, and after changes go live

• More willingness to accept changes to delivery framework and priorities based on player feedback and thinking carefully through what the game needs. For example, is it still in the game's best interest to constantly prioritize living world updates over things like new WvW maps, new weapons, new dungeons, etc.? My opinion is - no, it isn't.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Thanks for the update Z. Big decisions like what has just happened are bound to affect those who were ‘spared’. I wish all the best of luck, whether with Anet or not.

I was concerned a lot of good pinned posts have vanished from General Discussion, due to Gaile Grays account heading them? Or because a player created them (like the Gemstore update thread)? Can these be restored somehow? Or is this just a glitch?

Probably because of Gailes account. She was posting the most news.

@"trixantea.1230" said:Heres the last part of the statement provided when Carbine Studios had a big lay off:

"As for WildStar, we remain committed to the game. Over the next few weeks and months we will deliver a significant update to the game, kick off a variety of community events, and continue our work on new content that we will talk more about in the near future."

Sound familiar?Indeed. Except for the bolded part, of course. That never happens here.

Somehow the GW2 one doesn't sound any more reassuring (or informative), even if Guild Wars is still in a better place than Wildstar was.

@Mike Zadorojny.7058 said:Hi everyone,

This past week there have been a lot of questions about the status of Guild Wars 2. I’d like to share with you a little about what’s currently going on at the studio and what it means for the game.

The Guild Wars 2 team is still committed to bringing content and feature updates to the game. The next episodes of Living World are already in development, Swiss tournament support is coming to PvP, we’re looking at more WvW events coming soon, and the return of the Super Adventure Festival is imminent. Our long-term plans for the game like World Restructuring and large-scale improvements to quality of life are still in the works.

The studio has recently been affected by layoffs, which is going to take some time to process. There’s no easy way for any team to adjust to that. We've had to say goodbye to friends and colleagues that we've worked alongside for years. We’re welcoming back some familiar faces to the Guild Wars 2 team that had been working on unannounced projects. After all is said and done, it's going to take some time for us to adjust to our staffing changes.

As the proverbial dust settles in the next few days we're going to re-evaluate our schedules to make sure that our releases are realistic and allow us the time to make sure they hit our internal quality bar. This means that some updates are going to see delays, like the recent Warclaw, as we regain our focus.

I’d like to extend my heartfelt thanks to all of you who have reached out in support of our studio family. Thank you for your patience in this trying time. We’re making every effort to keep things running as smoothly as possible and stay on track with releases. Rest assured that ArenaNet is not done with Guild Wars. And the team is not done with our tale of dragons, or our eternal conflict in the mists. There’s still lots for us to do together.

We’ll see you in Tyria,z & the Guild Wars 2 Team

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@"trixantea.1230" said:Heres the last part of the statement provided when Carbine Studios had a big lay off:

"As for WildStar, we remain committed to the game. Over the next few weeks and months we will deliver a significant update to the game, kick off a variety of community events, and continue our work on new content that we will talk more about in the near future."

Sound familiar?

While we can hope this will shake out differently, we'd be remiss not to keep an eye on the pattern set by the parent company here. So yeah, right there with ya, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Differences being GW has been a successful franchise since 2005. Wildstar bombed hard sadly and couldn't survive.

@"Mike Zadorojny.7058" said:Hi everyone,

This past week there have been a lot of questions about the status of Guild Wars 2. I’d like to share with you a little about what’s currently going on at the studio and what it means for the game.

We’ll see you in Tyria,z & the Guild Wars 2 Team

Livestream video about this was published today:

I don't use facebook, so I've read just now about Gaile. Unfortunately I'm sure that many other good employees/persons had to leave. This brings my memory back to some years ago, when hundreads of colleagues (me included) have been fired (videogame company as well), without any notice period. It sucks, and you don't know what to do next. It's not ArenaNet's fault for what we know, so I hope they can leave our messages to say thank you for what you've done for this community in the years (although I'm not a veteran). I'll miss the kittens' pics :(If GW2 has a great community, and if this forum has been always a place where to talk peacefully (more or less :D) is also because of the great moderation and because of the good choices implemented in-game by the devs. You have wonderful résumés guys, I wish you to bring your experience somewhere else very soon.

Btw, we have Dulfy in game, I guess it's now time to have also a Gaile. A kittens' summoner boss... but don't make her too difficult to beat :smile:

@BlackfoxKitsune.7480 said:You silly buggers Arena Net. I know as a gaming community we do give you a lot of stick for some of the stuff you do, or the way you do it. BUT unlike the likes of say EA you have never gone out of your way to rip us off, made a few bad choices sure but NEVER rip us off. you should have told us you guys are in trouble, enough trouble to need to do lay offs. you have NO idea how much your fan base truly loves you, do not be scared to tell us the whole truth and what WE as fans can do to help you. yes we give you stick sometimes but that is because we expect so much of you that we just keep wanting you to do better, hell there are times when I've seen fans angry at you or disappointed but, we still love you, being disappointed in you is not the same as being betrayed, never once has you guys done that, and that is why your fan base still love you and are always if we can willing to help. so be straight up with us tell us way you need to do things like lay offs so we don't end up finding out in 2nd or 3rd hand redit posts. Be the first to tell us and be the first to reach out to us if you need help. the MMO world would not be the same with out arena net, you guys are the only ones doing QUALITY MMOS. you may not always be prefect (no one is) but you are the most loved!

lol..they were ripping you off, thats why they didnt say anythingthey took your money and TRIED to make mobile games, instead of supporting this gamestockholm at its finest

@Wwefan.4982 said:

Sound familiar?

While we can hope this will shake out differently, we'd be remiss not to keep an eye on the pattern set by the parent company here. So yeah, right there with ya, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Differences being GW has been a successful franchise since 2005. Wildstar bombed hard sadly and couldn't survive.

yea , WS was DOA, the fact, that ncsoft gave them so much time is rather surprisingit could have been a decent game, but they would rather stick to their visions, than tweak it to meet customer demandsi really liked the cartoon style, but the gameplay was horrible